Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Yeah, Caine can pretty much do whatever the gently caress he wants regarding the curse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Zereth posted:

Yeah, the PC's blood pool is pretty large, right from the get go. And in tabletop, unless I'm missing some obscure thing from a supplement I never read, the size of your blood pool is determined entirely by your Generation.

Correct. You have a 15 bloodpool, which would indicate 8th generation--meaning your sire was 7th, if Troika kept close to the source rules for the character's stats. They may have fudged it for gameplay streamlining though. Your bloodpool never gets bigger, however; so for that reason alone its unlikely that your gen remains consistent.

LaCroix dominates you for ~plot convenience~ but really the situation is totally reversed at the beginning and end. In the beginning you were freshly embraced and had your world destroyed to become some pawn in these massive conspiracies. By the end of the game you're your own master and LaCroix is pretty much broken and desperate. Given that in tabletop the difficulty of the dominate roll is the target's willpower, that could be all the justification they needed.

But yeah, Caine cabbie and all that means "pick whatever works for you."

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 24, 2014

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Wasn't the Caine Cabbie thing debunked? I thought I read that in the canon, Beckett did some stuff with a Malkavian who thought he was Caine, and that's who the cabbie was supposed to be.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
If one considers it canon, yeah.

That also works with the Children of Caine group of Malks who believe they are Caine, and one clan that gets it has all reasons to call them "Dark Father", though I don't believe it explains the abnormal nature of PC. One theory is that you diablerize Andrei at the Hotel putting you above LaCroix.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
It's entirely the prerogative of the canon to handwave away stuff from the game that doesn't make sense in a wider context, and fair enough.

But in the context of VtM:B the cabbie *is* meant to be Caine. The story signposts it so heavily, and enough memorable moments are dependent on it being true - like his absence of an aura, or the narrative pay-off of the Malk PC, who's been calmly making 100% accurate predictions and observations over the course of the game, freaking out in incoherent terror when they realise who's driving them - that it seems a bit obtuse not just to accept that it's what the writers were going for. Silly though it may be.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

If you go look at the game's sound files, all the cabbie's lines are in a folder called "Caine".

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Jose posted:

Whats the difference between a ghoul and thin blood?

The question's been answered, but it's an opportunity to sperg out a bit, so here's my less immediately helpful answer: Two generations.

VtM 101: Caine was the first vampire. The further you get from Caine, the more diluted a vampire's powers (and curses) are. Each generation, up to the fifteenth, is created from a vampire of one step closer to Caine embracing someone, we all know the drill. But at the 15th generation - vampires who are 100% guaranteed to be thinblooded - things get a little weird.

The 15th generation are still burned in the sun, but it's more very quick and agonizing sunburn and less instant conflagoration. They can function during the day better. They can even digest normal food, albeit with difficulty. They can't create other vampires the normal way... but they can get pregnant. The book 'Time of Thin Blood' goes into this in great detail through the frankly amazing lens of Doctor Netchurch, Malkavian scientist, but the short version is that instead of being inert corpses, 15th generation vampires straddle the line between dead and alive - they undergo very, very slow mitosis.

When a 15th generation vampire has a baby, it's a dhampir. Dhampirs are even further towards human in the vampire-human scale that the generations have been sliding along. They have the Beast, but it's much weaker. They inherit their Clan curse, but a much weaker version. They have vampiric blood in them, but they've also got regular blood and they don't need to spend their vampire blood just to wake up in the morning. They are, both by a slightly liberal interpretation of the concept and by where they fit in the power/curse arc, the 16th generation.

Dhampirs are also mechanically identical to Revenants, to the extent that the Time of Thin Blood rulebook tells you to use the revenant rules for playing a dhampir. Revenants are the result of someone being a ghoul for centuries, or for a concerted breeding program among ghouls - a favourite of the Tzimisce, who have huge servant-families of revenants serving them. To quote Doctor Netchurch:

quote:

It appears, therefore, that two processes may generate revenants. They may be "bred up" from ghouls. Alternatively, revenants may be "bred down" from vampires.

Ghouls have no Beast, and they inherit Clan curses only as a result of prolonged feeding from the same Clan. They require about a pint of vampiric blood every month just to remain ghouls. They're as far from being a vampire as you can get while still being a little tiny bit a vampire. Therefore an argument can be made that they are 17th generation vampires - though, admittedly, the argument's even weaker than the one calling dhampirs 16th gen.

The scale ends there. There's no being further away from Caine while still being connected to him than a ghoul - though if you want to make a point about relative power levels, a theoretical 18th generation vampire would be completely identical to a regular human being.

So there you have it. The difference between a thinblood and a ghoul is two generations. Considering the difference between a 'regular' PC and a mover and shaker is usually about four to six generations, it should give you a good idea of the gulf between the haves and the have-nots.

Disclaimer: The 16th-17th-18th gen thing is entirely my theorycrafting, and not something explicitly stated in any official text. But it is helpful to keep in mind that ghouls aren't entirely separate entities to vampires, they're the same sort of being - just one further away from Caine, and therefore more human than a 'full' vampire. Also 14th generation vampires can be (but aren't always) thinbloods, but they don't have the same quirks that 15th gen ones do that allow pregnancy.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Looks like the steam Autumn sale is taking 25% off this $20 game. :woop: 14.99 :woop:

I've only ever played a nossy and Tremere (Tremere supremacy). What would be the next best clan to try? Maybe Toreador or Ventrue for the celerity?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Toreador is an excellent choice. Celerity really does own.

I find Ventrue kind of boring, but you get some neat dialogue. Of course no clan beats Malkavian for neat dialogue.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Psion posted:

I find Ventrue kind of boring, but you get some neat dialogue. Of course no clan beats Malkavian for neat dialogue.

Error on Launch: Available memory less than 15MB!!! -1

Da fuq?

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 2, 2014

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Error on Launch: Available memory less than 15MB!!! -1

Da fuq?

Install one of the unofficial patches in the OP. Makes the game run on modern systems.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Gyshall posted:

Install one of the unofficial patches in the OP. Makes the game run on modern systems.

I googled it and found that this .exe: https://steamcommunity.com/linkfilter/?url=http://iain.cx/articles/bloodlines/bloodlines64-1.2.exe will fix it. I guess it just patches the game to run on 64 bit operating systems. I hope the clan quest mod isn't affected by this.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I've only ever played a nossy and Tremere (Tremere supremacy). What would be the next best clan to try? Maybe Toreador or Ventrue for the celerity?

If you haven't played a Malkavian, you really should. A ton of funny moments, and Malk insight is makes for interesting dialogue even if it does use that annoying typeface.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

I am just gonna repost how I felt about playing a Ventrue with Camarilla mod, from my post in '11.

nilumtil posted:

I was a god. Large groups of enemies would attack me, at which point I start popping off dominate powers. All or almost all of my enemies would be entranced. If not, I would use the power that makes me terrifying and drops enemy attack rolls. Fortify was always up, and high levels of fortify with decent physical stats made bullets bounce off me like superman. I would immediately shoot those that did were actually attacking, and move on to executing the entranced ones. As this is using lots of blood, the main key was just leaving the last, Dominated, enemy alive to drain.

It was a fuckin' blast.

JainDoh fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 2, 2014

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I googled it and found that this .exe: https://steamcommunity.com/linkfilter/?url=http://iain.cx/articles/bloodlines/bloodlines64-1.2.exe will fix it. I guess it just patches the game to run on 64 bit operating systems. I hope the clan quest mod isn't affected by this.

Both Clan Quest Mod and Wesp Patch include that fix. It's unnecessary.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Oh man combat in this game. Huuuuuge exaggerated melee swings with weapons that reach more than sephiroth's sword. Guns, ugh. I guess I'll just celerity shotgun idiots or something.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Psion posted:

Ventrue is funny because LaCroix opens up a bit, and waxes all Dr. Evil nostalgic. Also, yes if you deny him enough he clearly uses dominate on you.

Does that new Clan mod actually have the voice actor playing LaCroix doing new lines?

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Oh man combat in this game. Huuuuuge exaggerated melee swings with weapons that reach more than sephiroth's sword. Guns, ugh. I guess I'll just celerity shotgun idiots or something.

Yeah, pretty much the guns suck until chapter 2 when you get the Glock which is baseline boring but at least usable. Alot of melee also have a godawful 3rd swing in their animation chain where you'll overshoot your target/expose yourself to counter attacks.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I'm still really impressed that while you don't get huge changes in the game with different clans (except Malks), they did put in all these little touches with certain characters responding to what clan you are. Gary *really* doesn't like you if you're a Toreador.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

DeathChicken posted:

I'm still really impressed that while you don't get huge changes in the game with different clans (except Malks), they did put in all these little touches with certain characters responding to what clan you are. Gary *really* doesn't like you if you're a Toreador.

Or the fact that simply being Malkavian gets people to hate you because you reveal facts about their pasts, or you can read surface thoughts, or you're just creepy and unpredictable.

EvilWookie
Apr 4, 2011
Should i play with the final nights mod on my first playthrough?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
No but to do play with the basic fan patch.

Jealous of you, EvilWookie, getting to experience this game from the start again.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

EvilWookie posted:

Should i play with the final nights mod on my first playthrough?

Never use the Final Nights mod, it is terrible.

On phone now, but is the OP really that terrible? I remembered I was pretty thorough with the first post and suggestions for first playthroughs... I can update any dead links later. As far as I know the resolution and RAM fixes haven't changed, right?

Second post I never updated because the scene hasn't really changed - Camarilla is still the best option and has the same components, Final Nights is still a bad reskin with lovely implementation, and all the other mods are even worse.

Keeping up with Wesp's updates is a waste of effort.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Holy cow this guy: http://vtmb.wikia.com/wiki/File:The_Gentleman%27s_Guide_to_Vampires_Clan_Tremere

I can see him sipping Clamato juice from a chalice between takes.

Col. Roy Campbell
Dec 19, 2008

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Holy cow this guy: http://vtmb.wikia.com/wiki/File:The_Gentleman%27s_Guide_to_Vampires_Clan_Tremere

I can see him sipping Clamato juice from a chalice between takes.

I've seen this guy's videos before and I have yet to make it through one. I appreciate the guy's commitment but it's unfortunate that what he's committing to is terrible.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I watched his channel hoping to glean some insight into making a Tremere character in VTMB, but all he talks about is how to LARP a Tremere character :shepface:

Man, this loving game. Cause an amputee psychopath to violently vomit his own blood, dominate his mind with a trance, shoot him with both blood magic AND 16 rounds of a Glock pistol, proceed to be beaten to final death with a severed arm.

Kine are more powerful than kindred it would seem.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 8, 2014

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I watched his channel hoping to glean some insight into making a Tremere character in VTMB, but all he talks about is how to LARP a Tremere character :shepface:

Man, this loving game. Cause an amputee psychopath to violently vomit his own blood, dominate his mind with a trance, shoot him with both blood magic AND 16 rounds of a Glock pistol, proceed to be beaten to final death with a severed arm.

Kine are more powerful than kindred it would seem.

Tremere are seriously one of the easiest clans to play this game with, what the hell. The hardest is probably Gangrel, and that's only because Protean is a trap.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Fuzz posted:

Tremere are seriously one of the easiest clans to play this game with, what the hell. The hardest is probably Gangrel, and that's only because Protean is a trap.

I had rank 2 Thaum and rank 2 Dominate. It's the first boss and he's really resilient :shrug: Blood Strike does maybe 15 points of damage, max, and my cheated glock with a firearms of 3 did 7 - 11 damage each shot.

poo poo is hosed. This game was already buggier than a entomologist's lab when it was officially patched. This Clan Quest patch must increase boss difficulty by degrees of magnitude!

Speaking of bugs, loving drat. I made it to Downtown on my Toreador and at first I was able to turn a blind eye to it, but now it's just garrish. Game menu's persisting into the play world, textures just at the field of my vision blacking out, character faces contorting into horrible shapes when they try to scowl, camera focusing issues on faces during dialogue, clipping problems getting me stuck in terrain, shadows, ugh! It's only getting worse now in Downtown because there is more poo poo on the screen. Just how hard did Valve gently caress over Troika when they didn't let Troika upgrade the source engine? Why wasn't there any outrage at this colossal dick move?

Can we kickstarter an upgraded VTMB the way Wasteland got kickstartered? I'd support that.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 9, 2014

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I had rank 2 Thaum and rank 2 Dominate. It's the first boss and he's really resilient :shrug: Blood Strike does maybe 15 points of damage, max, and my cheated glock with a firearms of 3 did 7 - 11 damage each shot.
Is this a guy you're fighting in a basement? If it's the one I think of, and the severed arm bit makes me think it is, you need a lot of Guns skill and the relevant stat to make guns worthwhile. Just Blood Buff and punch him to death.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Speaking of bugs, loving drat. I made it to Downtown on my Toreador and at first I was able to turn a blind eye to it, but now it's just garrish. Game menu's persisting into the play world, textures just at the field of my vision blacking out, character faces contorting into horrible shapes when they try to scowl, camera focusing issues on faces during dialogue, clipping problems getting me stuck in terrain, shadows, ugh! It's only getting worse now in Downtown because there is more poo poo on the screen. Just how hard did Valve gently caress over Troika when they didn't let Troika upgrade the source engine? Why wasn't there any outrage at this colossal dick move?

A bug is on the developer's side. I don't think giving someone a lovely engine excuses lovely QA. I thought this was already established...

It's not like the source engine is a widely used developmental kit either.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 9, 2014

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

NeoSeeker posted:

A bug is on the developer's side. I don't think giving someone a lovely engine excuses lovely QA.

They probably figured poo poo goes in poo poo goes out :sad:

Zereth posted:

Is this a guy you're fighting in a basement? If it's the one I think of, and the severed arm bit makes me think it is, you need a lot of Guns skill and the relevant stat to make guns worthwhile. Just Blood Buff and punch him to death.

Made a Brujah with the Bruiser history. Two points free in Potence gives me an Unarmed of 9+2 and a brawl thats like, 6. With Potence I'm punching nerds for 40-60 points of damage right out of the gate. Pretty hilarious, but it's kind of boring.

Another annoying bug seems to be that your character seems to run too fast for the world their in. Narrow doors, wonky collision detection, poo poo that gets in your way because you move way, way too fast.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 9, 2014

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Made a Brujah with the Bruiser history. Two points free in Potence gives me an Unarmed of 9+2 and a brawl thats like, 6. With Potence I'm punching nerds for 40-60 points of damage right out of the gate. Pretty hilarious, but it's kind of boring.
Oh, I didn't say to drop your Tremere. I used exactly that strategy on that fight for mine. Once you can get good guns and high skill levels in it (I like the big revovlver) gunslinging works pretty well.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

They probably figured poo poo goes in poo poo goes out :sad:

And before multiple fan updates look where we're at...

In other words if the engine was so lovely why did they use it in the end. Either way who is to blame when they're making the final decisions. I'm starting to get the impression some people think someone coerced someone else with lethal force to release this game one way or another.

Just stop blaming anyone but troika.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 9, 2014

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

NeoSeeker posted:

And before multiple fan updates look where we're at...

In other words if the engine was so lovely why did they use it in the end. Either way who is to blame when they're making the final decisions. I'm starting to get the impression some people think someone coerced someone else with lethal force to release this game one way or another.

Just stop blaming anyone but troika.

Because they were given an engine to make their game? Rather than develop their own engine, valve gave troika the source engine to test it. VTM:B was supposed to be the first game on source, but valve got real petulant and lovely about it, and didn't let troika have the updated versions. Now you have all this content made, voice acting, and a partial product you may as well finish on what could be considered a beta, or version 1.0 of a new game engine.

Someone make a new vampire.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Because they were given an engine to make their game?

And a gun to their head with gabe newell on the other end screaming "USE IT, USE IT!!!"
I really don't follow your logic. It would have been fairly apparent that source was a lovely engine to use after developing upon it for a short time.

Not only that but they were knowingly using an unfinished engine to begin with. So even if it was contractual they sort of did a really dumb move to begin with.

The content itself you describe could easily be ported over to another engine. Considering source is essentially based off one of the quake engines a port wouldn't have been damning. My guess is that they were contractually obligated to release the game on the source engine.

Also I have never heard development of a game going down this way. Like ever. Asking to use a game engine before it's even complete sounds fuckin sloppy. It sounds like a mistake.

Why can't people just admit troika didn't know how to make video games? I bet it would happen if someone made a decent vampire game. Cause the next best thing we have is blood rayne... and yeah, I can understand why people would defend this game and troika to the death.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 9, 2014

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

NeoSeeker posted:

Why can't people just admit troika didn't know how to make video games?

Why can't you admit valve did a lovely thing one time?

They were promised a working engine and didn't get that. They were on a tight schedule and even tighter budget you cant just go "welp lets make a new engine from scratch after we already agreed to use this one".

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

NeoSeeker posted:

Also I have never heard development of a game going down this way. Like ever. Asking to use a game engine before it's even complete sounds fuckin sloppy. It sounds like a mistake.

Have you heard of Daikatana and Duke 4 — the poster children of not trying to port existing content to “essentially the same engine”?

Valve hosed up on this one, and deliberately so.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

Because valve has done plenty of lovely things and this just sounds like a developer with the behavior of an idiot getting what it deserved.

People on here seem to have a "greater understanding" of the interworkings of what actually happened.... and you don't.

Promised? Real business word there. Besides most engines are simply "in-house" versions of pre-existing engines. If that version of source wasn't up to snuff what was preventing them from fixing the drat thing in the first place? Oh valve didn't give them a better version? Well most studios would have taken the pile of trash engine and made something useful from it.

Splinter Cell 1 was made on the second incarnation of the unreal engine. You never heard talk of ubi devs bitching at epic for better shadows.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 9, 2014

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

RagnarokAngel posted:

Because all of Troika's games were screwed up, not just Vampire? Arcanum was super-buggy on release, and some of its features were just not well-implemented. The real-time battle system was ridiculous in practice, and there was no game balance between the magic and technology branches of character building, even though that was the feature that the game was designed around. Temple of Elemental Evil was so buggy that it killed its sales. I'm pretty sure this topic has already been done to death ITT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Because troika is the little engine that could but the entire world was bearing down upon it so it decided to go home and it's all ur fault :(

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 9, 2014

• Locked thread