Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Not a Children posted:

What should I do if I find myself continually underspending my budget? Obviously a good problem to have, but it looks like everything is a bit out of whack. For example, when I started, I budgeted about $150/mo for fuel. Now that I live close enough to work to bike/walk, that expense has gone down quite a lot, but the balance in that category is hanging around the mid $200s. Across all categories, my balance column totals to about double what my actual budget is.

Now, this is primarily because I budget for long-term expenses that haven't actually come up yet -- $50/month toward car repairs, $100/month towards a vacation, $25/month for holiday purchases, etc. Is this a good way to maintain things? It just seems that the balances are getting awfully high, yet if they all came due at once, I'd be barely able to cover them with my non-savings liquid funds. Is this the way good budgeting is actually supposed to turn out, or should I be worried that I'm doing it wrong? Is it reasonable that I budgeted expenses that are a long way (like, years) off, like vacation savings and car repairs?

You've won at managing your money like an adult. You can adjust those budget categories down and reallocate the money consequently freed up.

Do some adult things with it, like investing it in your retirement, planning a vacation, or blowing it all on strippers & coke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

This link is still providing 50% ynab, FYI. Just bought two. Should expire tonight.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Do some adult things with it, like investing it in your retirement, planning a vacation, or blowing it all on strippers & coke.
Nah he should invest in the lotto and start building winnings equity

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Are anyone else's files for YNAB getting huge on dropbox?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Shadowhand00 posted:

Are anyone else's files for YNAB getting huge on dropbox?

23MB for 10 months of use between 2 budgets and probably 5-7 devices.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

23MB for 10 months of use between 2 budgets and probably 5-7 devices.

I figured out what was wrong with mine. I had 10-15 different budgets (from times wheN I'd use YNAB as a tool to teach my girlfriend/friends budgeting). Deleting those reduced the folder size significantly)

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Mine didn't get bigger...though it did double every transaction and destroyed my budget. Had to start over

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

It doesn't look like there's much progress from the developers on giving you the option of switching inflow/outflow columns on import of a .qif file. Some banks apparently get the format wrong, so your credit card expenditure shows up as income.

This program seems to do the job quickly and easily of swapping the columns in the exported .qif file and it successfully imports into YNAB.

https://github.com/furlow/QifSwap

Which is lucky, because that would have been a dealbreaker for me - manually changing every line item on my credit card statement would have been a PITA.

Edit: Also holy poo poo, listen to the OP. Importing historical statements is a world of unecessary pain if you aren't yet up to speed with the YNAB philsophy of presenting your data.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 3, 2014

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
I have a question about Rule 3. The idea is that you have flexibility in your budget, so if you have an unexpected expense that causes you to go over your budget in that category, you simply reassign money from other categories where you may have a little extra budgeted.

So the onus is on the budgeter to borrow responsibly, yes? It would be easy to borrow from savings instead of reducing the discretionary categories to cover it. Is it just a matter of priorities, and making certain categories off-limits except for dire emergencies?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Easychair Bootson posted:

I have a question about Rule 3. The idea is that you have flexibility in your budget, so if you have an unexpected expense that causes you to go over your budget in that category, you simply reassign money from other categories where you may have a little extra budgeted.

So the onus is on the budgeter to borrow responsibly, yes? It would be easy to borrow from savings instead of reducing the discretionary categories to cover it. Is it just a matter of priorities, and making certain categories off-limits except for dire emergencies?

Well, yeah. Certain things obviously shouldn't be borrowed from, like your phone bill. Other things, like your giant tire/car repair category, can probably be replenished by cutting other expenses next month. That's how we run it, anyway.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

tuyop posted:

Well, yeah. Certain things obviously shouldn't be borrowed from, like your phone bill. Other things, like your giant tire/car repair category, can probably be replenished by cutting other expenses next month. That's how we run it, anyway.
Yeah, I suspect some of these things will become clear after a couple of budget cycles. Such as, if you've got $50 left on your booze budget and you're getting paid tomorrow, do you carry that $50 through and budget that much less for the next period, or do you reassign that $50 to savings or something and then budget normally for the next period? Does it even matter?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Easychair Bootson posted:

Yeah, I suspect some of these things will become clear after a couple of budget cycles. Such as, if you've got $50 left on your booze budget and you're getting paid tomorrow, do you carry that $50 through and budget that much less for the next period, or do you reassign that $50 to savings or something and then budget normally for the next period? Does it even matter?

Do you have a $150 booze month every 3 months, followed by 3 months of regret? Then I'd roll over the booze budget. If you have a hard cap on booze of $50 regardless of time without booze, then just let it roll over once it hits that amount.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
Is YNAB doable for an intelligent but rather fraught 50 something recent divorcee?

She specifically asked for "things to organize my life and my finances" for Christmas

(Also is it a monthly/yearly license or is it just an out and out purchase?)

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

One time purchase.
There is a 40 day demo, so unless it's supposed to be a Christmas surprise she can just try it.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Defenestration posted:

Is YNAB doable for an intelligent but rather fraught 50 something recent divorcee?

She specifically asked for "things to organize my life and my finances" for Christmas

(Also is it a monthly/yearly license or is it just an out and out purchase?)
Yes, and it's a one time purchase and you get a product key. The licence is basically "install on as many computers as you want for your own personal use"

The trial version is exactly the same as the full version, just limited to the 35 day trial until you put your key in. Otherwise it's identical, it's not even function limited.

I'd suggest set her up with the trial and teach her to use it and then if she likes it buy it for her as a gift. It's like a double gift.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

You could even wait until the inevitable Steam sale to pick up a key for cheap (usually $12.50).

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Tamba posted:

You could even wait until the inevitable Steam sale to pick up a key for cheap (usually $12.50).

I've been wanting one for myself too. You think it will go on sale for the holidays?

I won't be in my hometown very long so I won't have a lot of time to teach her.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Defenestration posted:

I've been wanting one for myself too. You think it will go on sale for the holidays?

It definitely was on sale the last summer and winter sale, so I don't see why they would stop now.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Defenestration posted:

Set up some kind of screen share app while you're there. It takes using it for a couple of months to really get the hang of it. Not that it's complicated, just that at the start of the month there's a new budget to make, and there's also reconciling and other things that you only do every so often.

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

I, for the life of me, cannot get the app (iphone 5) to work. Might be because it's jailbroken. I'm thinking about updating and trying again. Anyone else had this issue? It starts to open and then almost immediately force-quits.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

derekcooper posted:

I, for the life of me, cannot get the app (iphone 5) to work. Might be because it's jailbroken. I'm thinking about updating and trying again. Anyone else had this issue? It starts to open and then almost immediately force-quits.

I'm using it almost daily on an iPhone 5S on 8.1.1 and it's fine. Sounds like JBing is the issue, maybe try a backup and restore and see if it works, then re-jailbreak?

Also, maybe check the JB thread for anyone else with that problem?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I have a question about credit cards:

I spent $68.76 using a credit card, and today was payday. I wanted to budget for that expense - paying off the balance - so I made a category for it and put the balance due there. However, my credit card account is marked as an on-budget, so I did a transfer payment. The money was transferred and the bill is paid, but how do I represent the money I used to budget for the payment? It looks like I have an extra $68.96 to re-categorize, but that money has been spent. There's no outflow for it, so what do I do? I don't want to accidentally overbudget myself and mess up big time.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

HonorableTB posted:

I spent $68.76 using a credit card, and today was payday. I wanted to budget for that expense - paying off the balance - so I made a category for it and put the balance due there. However, my credit card account is marked as an on-budget, so I did a transfer payment. The money was transferred and the bill is paid, but how do I represent the money I used to budget for the payment? It looks like I have an extra $68.96 to re-categorize, but that money has been spent. There's no outflow for it, so what do I do? I don't want to accidentally overbudget myself and mess up big time.

You shouldn't be putting a line item in for your credit card payment. The money has (should have been) already budgeted into whatever spent it on. Since the CC is on budget, it's simply part of your larger pool of money to budget. So if you spent $68.96 on Zimas, you already have a line item for girly alcohol drinks. The transfer doesn't affect your overall pool of money to budget, it's just moving it from bucket A to bucket B.

The only time you should be creating a budget line item is when there is money moving to outside your "on budget" accounts. So paychecks and actual purchases (Or moving money to off budget accounts) get inserted into your budget. Not moving money to another on budget account.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Gothmog1065 posted:

You shouldn't be putting a line item in for your credit card payment. The money has (should have been) already budgeted into whatever spent it on. Since the CC is on budget, it's simply part of your larger pool of money to budget. So if you spent $68.96 on Zimas, you already have a line item for girly alcohol drinks. The transfer doesn't affect your overall pool of money to budget, it's just moving it from bucket A to bucket B.

The only time you should be creating a budget line item is when there is money moving to outside your "on budget" accounts. So paychecks and actual purchases (Or moving money to off budget accounts) get inserted into your budget. Not moving money to another on budget account.

Okay thanks, so that $68.96 can be freed up for other line items then?

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

HonorableTB posted:

Yes.

You can think of the credit card as an account that starts at $0 and can go below $0.

Your checking account is an account that starts at $0 and you want to keep above $0.

You spend money from the credit card account, bringing the credit card account down to -$68.96. You pay your monthly credit card bill of $68.96, transferring money from your checking account (say it's at $500) to your credit card account. Your credit card account comes back up to $0. Your checking account is $431.04. If you don't carry a balance, the credit card is just another account that it is convenient to spend from, and that you settle to $0 at the end of each month by transferring money from other accounts into.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

HonorableTB posted:

You budget the spending in the category fow aht you bought. The payment to the card company is considered automatic, just do the transfer. You aren't spending money when doing the transfer, you are just moving it around.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

HonorableTB posted:

There's a quick credit card howto on the website if it helps.

Also, as part of the Steam Christmas sale, YNAB is showing as 25% off here in the UK - on sale for £22.49.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

How do you track specific due days for bills (and ideally mark when they've been paid/scheduled to be paid)?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Is there a way to see net worth of all on and off budget accounts?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

sadus posted:

How do you track specific due days for bills (and ideally mark when they've been paid/scheduled to be paid)?

For things like a utility bill that are a unique amount each month, I add a future-dated transaction to my account when I get the bill. It remains un-cleared until, well, it clears.

For things that are the same every month, I use repeating Scheduled Transactions.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I do a repeated scheduled for stuff that varies but is around the same time each month and just adjust the amount.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

jon joe posted:

Is there a way to see net worth of all on and off budget accounts?

Combined? Isn't that All Accounts?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

reports->net worth.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I'd like some input on how to process something in YNAB. My situation is this:

I used to get paid at the end of the month and mark that income as available for the next month. I recently switched to a job with a different pay schedule. Instead of getting paid for my work in December at the end of December, I will now get paid for my work in December between the 10th and 15th of January. There is also a somewhat high probability of me switching jobs this year again (I do a "Fresh Start" on every New Year after archiving the last file) to a job which would pay at month's end.

With all that in mind what's the best approach for tracking this in YNAB? I'm kind of unsure which one would more accurately model my fiscal situation under the YNAB approach.

a) Get paid on January 15th, mark income as availabe in January.
b) Ged paid on January 15th, mark income as available in February, go into Overbudged/Reshaping mode for January.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
I would personally put that into January's since it's not near the end anymore. If you're already rule 4, it's not really going to affect you all that much either way. You can run stuff over into February.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Anybody have a $15 steam key for YNAB floating around? I want to get a copy for my sister.

Madbullogna
Jul 23, 2009

ilkhan posted:

Anybody have a $15 steam key for YNAB floating around? I want to get a copy for my sister.

I've been patiently (not) watching each day to see if steam offers something better than the current sale, as I've finally decided to pick up a copy for myself. (As usual, I decide these things when there's not an awesome sale at that exact moment, ugh). Come on New Year's steam sale! I'm thinking they'll knock more of the price prior to the 2nd.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Madbullogna posted:

I've been patiently (not) watching each day to see if steam offers something better than the current sale, as I've finally decided to pick up a copy for myself. (As usual, I decide these things when there's not an awesome sale at that exact moment, ugh). Come on New Year's steam sale! I'm thinking they'll knock more of the price prior to the 2nd.
I bought it for myself a year ago at $15 and its been hugely beneficial for me. I just dont want to shred my x-mas budget by buying it not on sale for her.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Do you guys use the scheduled transactions option at all? I know I'll be transferring some money from my checking account to my credit card at the beginning of January, but can't I just input the transfer in the main transactions/transfer field instead and put in the date I know they'll be transferred?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

Eight Is Legend posted:

Do you guys use the scheduled transactions option at all? I know I'll be transferring some money from my checking account to my credit card at the beginning of January, but can't I just input the transfer in the main transactions/transfer field instead and put in the date I know they'll be transferred?

I mostly use it for monthly, non-variable bills, like Netflix. Otherwise, I just manually enter the transaction (and post date it if it's an automatic withdrawal).