Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

I still remember the BBC Suicide hotline blurb over the credits in the original airing of that episode - it felt weird, and almost in bad taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Hewlett posted:

I still remember the BBC Suicide hotline blurb over the credits in the original airing of that episode - it felt weird, and almost in bad taste.

I don't think including a suicide hotline in an episode very clearly about suicide is in bad taste. People who are in that dark a place often consider it when the topic is brought up, so providing what little help a TV show can provide afterward isn't exactly sensationalism.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Also it's required by the charter that we put contact details for the relevant organizations up whenever we deal with a sensitive subject.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Also also, portrayals of suicide on television often correspond with a localised increase in the suicide rate, so those requirements have a strong statistical reason to exist. Like Bicyclops says, people who are struggling can sometimes find themselves considering the act more seriously when they've been exposed to media featuring it, and having the suicide hotline up there can provide them an alternative.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Bicyclops posted:

Seeing Vincent realize that his work is appreciated is a really great moment and Tony Curran plays it well enough to make up for a lot of the fluff at the beginning.

I'll be damned. I did a re-watch of this recently and he struck me as incredibly familiar, but I kinda forgot to IMDB him. Makes sense though, since the second time I saw it was after Defiance came out.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I shouldnt like Vincent and the Doctor as much as I do, on paper its got a lot of stuff I'm not so keen on; Duff CGI monster, written by the guy who did 4 weddings, verbal felating of the historical person of the week, an almost criminal underuse of bill nighy... But none of that matters, its a great goddamn episode. Partly because Tony Curran, as mentioned acts the absolute poo poo out of the part, but Smith and Gillan hold up their end as well.

And at the end of the day, I absolutely and with no trace of irony think "depression is a mental illness which is a stone cold bitch. Its not the same as being sad and if someone you care about hurts themselves because of depression it is not your fault" is absolutely an important message which is difficult to get across to children, and I think the episode succeeds in that extremely well.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Vincent and the Doctor is legitimately one of the best episodes of the revival. Nobody should feel bad about liking it, because it's brilliant and that is a good thing to like.

Yes the actual alien monster is completely unnecessary to the story, but who cares, it's a minor part of the actual story and doesn't detract from it at all.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Thanks for the info on the suicide hotline/stats stuff; it's possible I was even remembering my response to it incorrectly, and was just surprised at that happening in particular.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

So today I'm going to talk about that Doctor Who story where a charismatic leader plots to bring back the last surviving members of the human race from the end of time into the current day. Said humans are in such terror of the end of existence that they've repurposed their bodies into horrifying amalgams of flesh and metal in their desperation to survive. The charismatic leader's charisma turns out to be based on a form of mind control, and their plan is only made possible by having gotten their hands on the Doctor's TARDIS and manipulated it to allow these paradoxical events to happen. In the end, the plan is foiled thanks in part to the collective power of all the human beings getting pooled and used against the enemy, sending them back to the end of time. In the midst of all this is a companion who has to strike out on their own while the Doctor is captured, and ultimately proves the catalyst for motivating the human race to do what they need to do. I am talking, of course, about Singularity from Big Finish.

Made in 2005, 2 years before The Sound of Drums/Last of the Time Lords, this audio has some remarkable if ultimately superficial similarities to the finale of season 3 of the revival. Far less campy, this is a story that very much plays it straight and goes for a decidedly bleak tone. It's helped by being a 5th Doctor story, his benevolent, relaxed Doctor is a perfect fit for the morose tone where 6's bombast and 7's crafty manipulation wouldn't have gelled. The 8th Doctor could have pulled it off too, but there's something about this being a 5th Doctor story that just feels right.

In Moscow in the mid-21st Century, Lena Korolev arrives home to discover her last surviving family member - her brother Alexei - has left home to join the Somnus Foundation, which she considers a dangerous cult. Somnus has been growing in numbers over the last decade or so, having shifted from its roots as an actual scientific institute into a quasi-religious order akin to Scientology. There, new recruits who are deemed worthy are given a "true name" and seemingly change entirely, and there seems no rhyme or reason for who is deemed worthy or not, and how their former lives reflect on their new ones. Street toughs suddenly become scientific geniuses, the indolent rich become dedicated and driven people devoted to communal existence etc. Convinced that her brother is in danger, Lena attempts to break into the Somnus Foundation to find him and finds herself menaced by their security personnel. She's saved at the last second by the Doctor and Turlough, who appear on the scene having arrived in Moscow for what Turlough thought would be a spot of tourism and is frustrated to discover is actually down to the Doctor exploring an odd temporal split.

The Doctor/Turlough relationship has always been fascinating, particularly at this point where the Black Guardian link has been severed but the Doctor has also been left without a buffer between himself and the odd alien with dubious morality. Nyssa stayed on Terminus, Tegan stormed out of their lives in a rage, and now it is just the two of them. Turlough is sick and tired of Earth and wants to get out amongst the stars again, and he's also sick and tired of the Doctor constantly sniffing out trouble for them to get into instead of just kicking back and relaxing or just going sightseeing. This story explores somewhat the nature of Turlough's character, and his own continuing belief that he is not a very nice person at heart. The resolution of the story seems to be trying to imply that at the heart of it all he is a good person, but Turlough himself questions whether his actions are ever anything but selfish, which leads another character to suggest that maybe the Doctor isn't as altruistic as he seems and is himself a selfish person.

We're meant to disagree with that I'm sure, we know the Doctor means the best and we should probably hope that Turlough does too deep down in his heart of hearts. Still, the story gets good mileage out of the disdain other characters have for the Doctor, and the notion that maybe he doesn't have humanity's best interests at heart. This doesn't just come from the antagonists of the story who blame the Doctor for their current situation, but also supporting characters like Lena who question the morality of the Doctor's chosen lifestyle and the choices he forces on them. At one point, the Doctor casually pops himself, Turlough, Lena and a conspiracy theorist named Pavel back in time 11 years just to satisfy his curiosity about the origins of the Somnus Foundation. He seemingly never once ponders what Lena or Pavel might do in this situation, and Lena immediately sets off into the night in the hopes of saving her mother's life. This forces Turlough to track her down and gives him the horrible task of having to convince her to let her mother die, which brings out her guilt as she admits that she is responsible for her mother's death in the first place, having euthanized her dying, cancer-stricken mother that night. She returns to the TARDIS and angrily denounces the Doctor for his own meddling, saying that his very presence changes events, and goes so far as to almost call down on the Doctor the Somnus Foundation that she hates. He stops her in time and tries to explain things to her, at which point things really kick off and Lena effectively disappears from the story, capitulating to the siren-call of the Singularity having earlier told Turlough she was tired of being strong and just wanted to let down her guard for one and let somebody else take care of her and make her decisions for her.

That is what the primary antagonist of the story - Qel (quell) - was hoping for across all of humanity. Her plan is to psychically draw in the mind of every human being on the planet into a single consciousness, one that she will join with but then direct. This is the last point in human history where enough of humanity will be together in place to allow her to execute this scheme, after this point off-world travel becomes a thing, the human race spreads out across the stars and colonizes planets and solar systems and galaxies across the universe. Qel is a refugee from the end of time, the last dying grasp before entropy overwhelms everything and the universe ends. She and her few surviving brethren have decided their only salvation is in the past, they will form a singularity out of the human race and become the Godhead, changing history irrevocably and becoming the dominant form of life in the universe. Then THEY will be the ones to ascend into an alternate realm of existence when entropy takes hold, something that was denied to Qel and her people in the original timeline. It turns out that the Time Lords did this themselves at the end of time, but that they refused to bring humanity with them. The last survivors of the human race were left with nothing but shock and a burning hatred for the Time Lords, and the Doctor in particular since - though he wasn't amongst the Time Lords who abandoned them - he was the one who for untold eons cropped up to save the human race from extinction... only to fail to arrive to save them from death at the end of all things. Capturing the TARDIS and effectively torturing it in order to force it to attempt an impossible dematerialization to escape, Qel uses the energy generated to kick her plans into high gear, meaning the Doctor will be inadvertently responsible for the split in the timestream and the successful formation of the Singularity.

Of course nothing is that straightforward, and the story is hampered severely by the lack of a primary antagonist. This is actually a plot point, as Qel and another future-human named Seo (in Alexei's body) squabble endlessly over who is technically in charge of their people/mission. This squabbling makes the future-humans seem more pathetic than dangerous, and considering they come from trillions of years in the future, the fact they're so easily manipulated and outsmarted by the Doctor isn't saying much for the future of humanity at all. The Doctor in fact takes the threat entirely in stride, never quite seeming to take anything particularly seriously. Though I noted earlier he was the right Doctor for this story, and I'm sure the easygoing attitude masked his deep concern, on the surface he treats everything so lightly that it is hard to take it seriously. His TARDIS is being tortured to death, Turlough's mind has been sent to the end of time, Moscow has become a collective consciousness seeking guidance... and he's just rather smoothly taking it all in, cracking jokes and casually outsmarting the bad guys. The Fifth Doctor was most often the Doctor who got in over his head and had to thrash about a bit before he could get a messy grip on the situation. Here he never seems particularly out of sorts, and always feels like he has complete control over what is going on.

Turlough proves himself the hero of the hour by shaking off the apathy that overwhelms the exiled minds of the humans at the end of time and figures out a way to hamper the connection between eras and get himself back into his own body. This leads to the bit I mentioned earlier where he is left to wonder if he is just naturally a selfish person or not, since even his own heroic actions were based on his own personal self-interest. It's pointed out to him that when people say he is more like the Doctor than he thinks, it may actually mean that the Doctor is more like HIM. I'm not entirely sure what message the writer (James Swallow, who has worked on a ton of sci-fi over the years) intended, but I like to think that it was that Turlough needs to understand that acting out of your own self-interest to do a good thing is STILL doing a good thing, and the fact that you thought to do the good thing in the first place is itself a sign that you're not a bad person.

Still, the story is rather bleak, what with the whole idea that at the end of this universe's life, the human race is left desperately scrabbling to survive with NO hope of salvation, and that there was an out but that it was cruelly denied them by the Time Lords. However we only ever get the future-human's side of events, and the fact is that everything we heard in this audio indicates that this particular lot of humans weren't really deserving of salvation anyway. Does that condemn ALL of humanity? Who is to say the Time Lords didn't take those who did deserve better with them? In any case, the story ends on a downbeat but earnest note when the Doctor - alone now - travels to the end of the time where the last future-human - Seo - is breathing his last. He isn't there to save him or judge him or gloat, but simply there to observe the final end of the human race in this universe. After lifetimes of saving humanity, the Doctor can do nothing for them now other than offer them whatever comfort he can, and like a father with a sick child he simply shushes the terrified Seo (who pleads for forgiveness, all arrogance and fury stripped away at the end) and quietly tells him to sleep now, it's over. It's an unsettling ending, and mirrors Lena's own recounting of her decision to end the pain of her dying mother. I'm in two minds of how to take it, because on the one hand it is deeply depressing, but on the other, the thought that somebody who loves you is there at the end to be with you and offer words of comfort is... well, comforting.

Singularity is a mixed bag. The Russian setting is a little distracting with the accents, there needed to be a singular antagonist for the Doctor to play off against, the Doctor could have used being a bit more concerned about everything going on etc. But it's also unsettling in a good way, tackling a rather depressing potential future and not shying away from letting things end with a finality you wouldn't normally expect from Doctor Who, where there is ALWAYS a way out. The parallels with the end of Season 3 are still there, the fate of the future-humans is as unsettling as the fate of the Toclafane, but at least the 5th Doctor was there for the former to offer what comfort he could. This story is worth a listen, if only for the things it will potentially make you think about.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Dec 2, 2014

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

Turlough proves himself the hero of the hour by shaking off the apathy that overwhelms the exiles minds of the humans at the end of time and figures out a way to hamper the connection between eras and get himself back into his own body. This leads to the bit I mentioned earlier where he is left to wonder if he is just naturally a selfish person or not, since even his own heroic actions were based on his own personal self-interest. It's pointed out to him that when people say he is more like the Doctor than he thinks, it may actually mean that the Doctor is more like HIM. I'm not entirely sure what message the writer (James Swallow, who has worked on a ton of sci-fi over the years) intended, but I like to think that it was that Turlough needs to understand that acting out of your own self-interest to do a good thing is STILL doing a good thing, and the fact that you thought to do the good thing in the first place is itself a sign that you're not a bad person.

Now that's an interesting concept. It's also very Turlough, and while the quality of the Five/Turlough audios has been a bit mixed, seeing the valiant but crushed Five and the cynical but trying and conflicted Turlough has made for some solid back-and-fort between Davison and Strickson.

The concept of "evil succeeds when good men do nothing" is one for the philosophers. But how often in Doctor Who have we seen villains do the wrong thing for the right reasons? Is doing the good thing for the wrong reasons just as immoral? Sounds like an interesting moment of audio...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

Vincent and the Doctor is legitimately one of the best episodes of the revival. Nobody should feel bad about liking it, because it's brilliant and that is a good thing to like.

Agreed. I'm fairly surprised that it actually has so many haters. :confused:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

So far, I, Davros has not been my particular cup of tea. It just often feels like it's spinning its wheels.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Bicyclops posted:

So far, I, Davros has not been my particular cup of tea. It just often feels like it's spinning its wheels.

While the first two eps might feel that way because it explores what Davros wants, and what he could be if he could just be allowed to pursue his dreams, ep 3 is when it really picks up when he realizes that he has to play the politic game whether he wants to or not . . .

. . . and then comes ep 4.

I, Davros is one on my favorite series. Though for ep 3 to make real sense, you do have to listen to the main range story "Davros" for the plot with Shan.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Bicyclops, how is that you and I keep up on the same schedule? I plowed through I, Davros over the weekend and I enjoyed it way more than I was expecting. I listened to episode 3 before 2 accidentally and that helped somehow... it broke up the story and pacing a little better and you didn't get all the political machinations in one clump. Mostly (besides Terry Malloy, who is fantastic as always) it was the atmosphere that sold it, and the gradual descent of Kaled society from something resembling modern society to the armed camp of Genesis. And the creep factor was in full effect, especially episode 4's explanation for where Davros got the mutants for the original batch of daleks

As Davros1 (heh) said, it's an expansion on the flashback sequences in Davros. My only complain is the abandoning of the framing device at the end of episode 4. I liked the Daleks telling Davros how much they hated his story!

EDIT - Someone with a Colin Baker avatar needs to post next. We got a thing going!

After The War fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Dec 2, 2014

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

After The War posted:

I liked the Daleks telling Davros how much they hated his story!

Now I have the vision in my head of Davros reading The Princess Bride to the Daleks. :allears:

"NO KISSING STUFF!"

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
So this is what my friend got me for Christmas...

I don't know how I feel about this.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Did it at least come as part of the Beneath the Surface boxset that includes The Silurians on it? :ohdear:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

Did it at least come as part of the Beneath the Surface boxset that includes The Silurians on it? :ohdear:

No, but she did get me The Sea Devils last year for Christmas.

The year before, the E-Space Trilogy.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wait wait... so she bought you the two BAD stories from that boxset? :stare:

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Jerusalem posted:

Now I have the vision in my head of Davros reading The Princess Bride to the Daleks. :allears:

"NO KISSING STUFF!"

ARE. YOU. TRYING. TO. TRICK. ME.

WHERE. IS. THE. SPORTS.

IS. THIS. A. KISS-ING. BOOK.

CobiWann posted:

So this is what my friend got me for Christmas...

I don't know how I feel about this.

You could have had it all, Warriors of the Deep

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

CobiWann posted:

No, but she did get me The Sea Devils last year for Christmas.

The year before, the E-Space Trilogy.

Your friend hates you.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Davros1 posted:

While the first two eps might feel that way because it explores what Davros wants, and what he could be if he could just be allowed to pursue his dreams, ep 3 is when it really picks up when he realizes that he has to play the politic game whether he wants to or not . . .

. . . and then comes ep 4.

I, Davros is one on my favorite series. Though for ep 3 to make real sense, you do have to listen to the main range story "Davros" for the plot with Shan.

Ah, good to know. That's why I stick it out! Every season has its growing pains!

After The War posted:

Bicyclops, how is that you and I keep up on the same schedule? I plowed through I, Davros over the weekend and I enjoyed it way more than I was expecting. I listened to episode 3 before 2 accidentally and that helped somehow... it broke up the story and pacing a little better and you didn't get all the political machinations in one clump. Mostly (besides Terry Malloy, who is fantastic as always) it was the atmosphere that sold it, and the gradual descent of Kaled society from something resembling modern society to the armed camp of Genesis. And the creep factor was in full effect, especially episode 4's explanation for where Davros got the mutants for the original batch of daleks

As Davros1 (heh) said, it's an expansion on the flashback sequences in Davros. My only complain is the abandoning of the framing device at the end of episode 4. I liked the Daleks telling Davros how much they hated his story!

EDIT - Someone with a Colin Baker avatar needs to post next. We got a thing going!

Are you listening in release date order? It's likely that you and I have similar situations, maybe. :) I listen when taking the train, walking or flying. I hear a lot more when I'm going grocery shopping or when I have to go back and forth between a few locations at work. You'll probably get ahead of me soon, because some of what made me move so quickly were errands that involved miles of walking for the wedding, as well as a lot of flying, so I'll probably be down to 1-2 stories a week shortly (although I do have another couple of long flights coming up).

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Bicyclops posted:

Ah, good to know. That's why I stick it out! Every season has its growing pains!

Are you listening in release date order? It's likely that you and I have similar situations, maybe. :) I listen when taking the train, walking or flying. I hear a lot more when I'm going grocery shopping or when I have to go back and forth between a few locations at work. You'll probably get ahead of me soon, because some of what made me move so quickly were errands that involved miles of walking for the wedding, as well as a lot of flying, so I'll probably be down to 1-2 stories a week shortly (although I do have another couple of long flights coming up).

Haven't we compared spreadsheets at some point? I've been going back and catching up on all the non-main range ones so that I can do proper release date from here on. Started Eighth Doctor Adventures today in fact, and... it's interesting what aspects of the revived series they thought were important enough to incorporate. CONSTANT MUSIC is one, a more "Oncoming Storm/Let's Kiss Us Some Daleks" Doctor than we're used to from Eight, and a whining modern day twentysomething companion. They... don't know how to write dialogue for modern real world people, do they?

It'll pick up eventually, I know, but I already miss the McGann/India Fisher chemistry :sigh:.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

After The War posted:

Haven't we compared spreadsheets at some point? I've been going back and catching up on all the non-main range ones so that I can do proper release date from here on. Started Eighth Doctor Adventures today in fact, and... it's interesting what aspects of the revived series they thought were important enough to incorporate. CONSTANT MUSIC is one, a more "Oncoming Storm/Let's Kiss Us Some Daleks" Doctor than we're used to from Eight, and a whining modern day twentysomething companion. They... don't know how to write dialogue for modern real world people, do they?

It'll pick up eventually, I know, but I already miss the McGann/India Fisher chemistry :sigh:.

Ah, you're way ahead of me, then! I'm interspersing Main Range with all of the other stuff, so I'll fall even further behind. But hoo, yeah the constant music thing is something I definitely noticed. I assume they get a little better at balancing it later on. Companions also do seem to complain a little more. It's weirdly more Teganesque than it is revival (which must have been what they were going for) and where it's most noticeable is with Peri. I actually think it would make Peri considerably more bearable except that Nicola Bryant, a bit more than some of the other actors in my opinion, struggles with both her accent and with pretending to be younger than she is. It works okay for Charlie and Hex, strangely, but it's supremely irritating for C'Rizz. Either way, I do think Big Finish gets better overall, and their flaws in the middle of their stuff are way less grating their flaws in the early years.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Your friend hates you.

You don't like the E-Space Trilogy?

(Refer to my previous post about State of Decay)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Bicyclops posted:

I don't think including a suicide hotline in an episode very clearly about suicide is in bad taste. People who are in that dark a place often consider it when the topic is brought up, so providing what little help a TV show can provide afterward isn't exactly sensationalism.

Seeing that sort of message at the end of an episode of something that tackles the issue of suicide always makes me smile a little. I know that to an extent it's mandatory (I know it's required for news stories about suicide here), but it's still a nice gesture every time I see it, especially when the show's handling suicidevery tastefully. Vincent and the Doctor remains one of my favorite episodes, and I honestly think a suicide hotline message afterwards actually helps the story. The whole episode is about how depression is actually a really tough thing to handle; it's not just a matter of being nice to someone, even giving Vincent the best gift you could possibly give him ultimately did nothing.

Van Gogh couldn't get the help he needed because society in his time didn't even understand what was wrong, but someone facing the same issues today has more support than that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I like the E-Space Trilogy, though Full Circle is kinda weak. Warrior's Gate is REALLY weird but that's part of the appeal of it and as an ending to Romana's travels with the Doctor it is pretty great.

State of Decay flat out rules though.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Just wrapped up Peri and the Piscon Paradox this morning.

The Companion Chronicles are a neat idea. They’re stories narrated in a first-person format, almost like an audiobook, by the companion. Anytime the Doctor speaks, it’s the companion speaking for the Doctor (though a few later CC’s have had impersonators filling in for the Doctor at key points). One of the big drawbacks to writing a novel/story about the Doctor is trying to see into their thought complex, and the CC’s manage to avoid that by showing everything from the companion’s point of view and letting them do the talking/thinking/expositioning. Even though Colin Baker himself plays the Sixth Doctor in the second half of the story, the focus is still on Peri.

As for the story itself…wow. It’s 3/4th’s farce and 1/4th’s “I really want to give Peri a hug,” especially the latter half of the fourth episode, in a sort of Vincent and the Doctor kind of way. I’ll probably do a full write-up once I finish my current one. It’s a pretty solid gut punch at the end, especially if you grew up watching Peri and the messy way she was written out of the program.

CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice
I've been working on a Tom Baker scarf on and off for the last couple of years and I finally finished it. Behold!

Next up is the Season 18 scarf, as soon as I find the right wool for it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
That scarf is fantastically vibrant!

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

"Lana look," Rusev pointed out to the screen, "Pinkie Pie just scared Twilight Sparkle shitless! I love America and shit they put on TV!"
That looks great! Just the right season to finish it up in, too. Wear it outdoors, get it snagged in doorways.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Hewlett posted:

I just remember it being vague, something like "if you feel affected by any of the themes in this episode call 0118999....", and having a bit of a guilty giggle at the idea of people calling the hotline to finally have an outlet where they could tell someone about the giant invisible alien stalking them.

Well I had a giggle the second time watching the episode. The first time around I must have got some dust in my eye or something BECAUSE I'M A MAN AND DAMNIT I WASN'T GETTING TEARY AT AN EPISODE OF DOCTOR WHO.

drat internet ruins everything.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CherryCat posted:

I've been working on a Tom Baker scarf on and off for the last couple of years and I finally finished it. Behold!

Next up is the Season 18 scarf, as soon as I find the right wool for it.

There's something horribly wrong with this picture!

No jacket! :haw:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTNjmKZ9t3E

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
So is showing my stepdaughter Warriors of the Deep the sign of good parenting, or bad parenting?

And CherryCat, that’s an absolutely magnificent scarf! As someone who has a friend who knits, I can only imagine the time and effort you put into it, and it’s paid off in spades! If I was your Secret Santa, you’d be getting a bag of Jelly Babies for Christmas.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

CobiWann posted:

So is showing my stepdaughter Warriors of the Deep the sign of good parenting, or bad parenting?

Just show her the best clip from the serial.

Speaking of that one, Amazon helpfully e-mailed me today to tell me that the Beneath The Surface set is on sale for 26 bucks Canadian. That's a pretty good deal for two Pertwee serials I like and the Peter Davison bonus disc. If I didn't need the money to buy nice things for people for the holidays, I would jump on that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Apparently, this scene might have made a decisive contribution to getting the show put on hiatus because of how bad it was.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Metal Loaf posted:

Apparently, this scene might have made a decisive contribution to getting the show put on hiatus because of how bad it was.

The mental image of Michael Grade watching a woman karate kick a pantomime alien horse which electrocutes her and makes her go "aaargh", followed by him saying "yeah I think it's about time we pull the plug on this poo poo" is entirely plausible.

also I'm weak and I ended up buying the Beneath The Surface DVD set after all :smith:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
This is the greatest thing I have ever seen in my life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The scene was included because the actor in question had martial arts training, and the screenwriter (Johnny Byrne trying to be Eric Saward) wanted to take advantage of her skills. Unfortunately, I imagine it's a bit hard to make your judo kick look especially convincing when your opponent is a shambling pile of crap.

I have a bit of an odd question: when did the revival start using pre-credits teasers? I know every episode this season had one, and I imagine they've been part of the series probably all the way back to season one; did "Rose" not have one? I imagine it didn't have one, being the first one back, and my recollection of how the episode began doesn't really leave space for it. Unfortunately, I can't check because I no longer have the season one DVD (I keep meaning to replace it with the box set; I've been meaning to do a big rewatch of the revival for a while, inspired by Jerusalem's reviews, but the only DVDs I have at the moment are season five through seven).

"Remembrance of the Daleks" is the only classic series one I'm fairly sure had a teaser (with the Dalek mothership looming towards Earth like it's out of Star Wars or something).

• Locked thread