Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

This is a dumb question, but do you need to use itunes with the Apple tablets?

Nope. I just set up a new iPad Mini yesterday. I activated Touch ID and added a credit card for use with Apple Pay. I have not opened iTunes once, nor was I prompted to open iTunes.

EDIT: oh, if you want to sync it via a wired connection, you probably do need iTunes, but I just use Airdrop for most stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, it's $100 off the Air 2, $75 off the Mini 2. Going right now.

I just checked it's actually $75 off the mini 3.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Is there any reason not to get the Kindle Fire HD 7 for my aging mom who just needs the simplest way to get on the web, check email and do mom things? It's $109 on Amazon right now.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

me your dad posted:

Is there any reason not to get the Kindle Fire HD 7 for my aging mom who just needs the simplest way to get on the web, check email and do mom things? It's $109 on Amazon right now.

I just bought the Fire 6 for my daughter. Also the HP something 7" is $99

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

me your dad posted:

Got my mom one and she loves it. My sister says she uses it all the time. Total mom tablet.

CornBrick
Jun 21, 2014

A chance to look as cool on the outside as I am on the inside.
900 dollars budget
Looking for good tablet to compare with good phone and good PC, deciding on what to spend my money on.
I'm looking for something nice, you know, like some sort of "tech treat", I want it to run smooth and have a nice screen. And not be an iPad, I think the OS is too restrictive and I like to customize

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
If you want something that runs smooth and is not an iPad, you're out of luck.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm pretty sure Surfaces Pro 3 run smoothly enough.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

CornBrick posted:

900 dollars budget
Looking for good tablet to compare with good phone and good PC, deciding on what to spend my money on.
I'm looking for something nice, you know, like some sort of "tech treat", I want it to run smooth and have a nice screen. And not be an iPad, I think the OS is too restrictive and I like to customize

Check out the Nexus 9 or Windows Surface as they are the flagship devices of the alternatives.

CornBrick
Jun 21, 2014

Jose Oquendo posted:

If you want something that runs smooth and is not an iPad, you're out of luck.

I hope you're joking. Isn't there anything else? Don't get me wrong I'm not saying apple is bad because it's Apple, it's just that I enjoy customizing and from what I've seen, the operating system is way too restrictive on Apple devices

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

CornBrick posted:

I hope you're joking. Isn't there anything else? Don't get me wrong I'm not saying apple is bad because it's Apple, it's just that I enjoy customizing and from what I've seen, the operating system is way too restrictive on Apple devices

Not really joking. The Android tablet selection lately is not great, the supposed one to buy was set to be the Nexus 9 and it just got universal not great reviews.

So yeah, iPad Air 2 is the best tablet. The Surface pro 3 and Macbook series are also both somewhat in your price range, but I would say they are in a different function and setup that what a tab is supposed to be. So that is up to you as to what you want out of it.

CornBrick
Jun 21, 2014

I don't want windows on it either...ugh
I'll look at the iPad Air 2 and uh, the nexus 9 display is too small

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

You could try the Samsung tablets for premium > 10" tablets, but they come with their own drawbacks.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

CornBrick posted:

I don't want windows on it either...ugh
I'll look at the iPad Air 2 and uh, the nexus 9 display is too small

What do you actually want to do with it?

It sounds like you've just got some money and want to spend it on "the perfect 'tech toy'." If that's your goal, your best option is no tablet at all.

SmutAnEggs
Jan 1, 2006
Im looking a purchasing a case for my Galaxy Tab S 10.5, I had a Zoogue(http://goo.gl/mzV6zW) case for my Xoom. What is a recommended case, since I can't get a Zoogue case for my piece of hardware?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Looking to replace my wife's old Toshiba laptop with a Windows tablet, probably a Surface Pro 3 or a Yoga 3 Pro. Couple questions.

1.) Is one of those objectively better for normal laptop use?
2.) Will those work as an outright replacement for a laptop?
3.) Anyone know where to get one on a good deal today?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

1) Yoga 3
2) Sure
3) Can't help you there

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

1) Yoga 3
2) Sure
3) Can't help you there

Laptop thread suggested that maybe the Yoga 2 is of a better build quality. It's also considerably cheaper. Any thoughts?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No idea. Just that the Yoga line is laptops with keyboards that flip around which make them objectively better at being laptops than the Surface which is a tablet with a keyboard attachment.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I'm looking for a tablet for my mum in the Cyber Monday deals; she mostly just does browsing/youtube/emails but I still want it to be not totally poo poo- the 10.1" Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 is featured on Amazon but skimming back in the thread a bit someone said the plain (rather than S or Pro I'm assuming) isn't recommended? So there's also the 8.4" (which is pushing it for how small I wanna go, her eyesight isn't stellar) Galaxy Tab S for $70 more at around $300, which..... I could maybe swing if I had to, if it's significantly better? Is it?

Alternatively if I should be looking at a completely different ~10" tablet for approximately $200-$300 and I'm an idiot for only looking at those Samsung ones (the price slash on it enticed me) please let me know.

also I was planning on getting her this bluetooth keyboard to go with it 'cause of the sale price; is a keyboard a keyboard or is there a different one to get?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Koramei posted:

I'm looking for a tablet for my mum in the Cyber Monday deals; she mostly just does browsing/youtube/emails but I still want it to be not totally poo poo- the 10.1" Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 is featured on Amazon but skimming back in the thread a bit someone said the plain (rather than S or Pro I'm assuming) isn't recommended? So there's also the 8.4" (which is pushing it for how small I wanna go, her eyesight isn't stellar) Galaxy Tab S for $70 more at around $300, which..... I could maybe swing if I had to, if it's significantly better? Is it?

Alternatively if I should be looking at a completely different ~10" tablet for approximately $200-$300 and I'm an idiot for only looking at those Samsung ones (the price slash on it enticed me) please let me know.

also I was planning on getting her this bluetooth keyboard to go with it 'cause of the sale price; is a keyboard a keyboard or is there a different one to get?

iPads are almost always a better idea for someone with that description. Apple seems to be low on refurb inventory (probably due to the holiday) but usually a refurb iPad Air 1st gen is about $400.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

No idea. Just that the Yoga line is laptops with keyboards that flip around which make them objectively better at being laptops than the Surface which is a tablet with a keyboard attachment.

Thanks. Looking at a Yoga Pro 3 with Windows since I'm concerned about 4GB RAM in the 2's.

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014
Check this out goons ...Nokia N1- Android Tablet!

Sounds very interesting, cheap and with a full alu-case, android 5.0, Battery 5300 mAh, Display 7.9" 2048x1536 IPS LCD...

Price $249 (32GB) :)

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

CornBrick posted:

Get an iPad and then jailbreak it if you want to remove Apple's restrictions.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

XenJ posted:

Sounds very interesting, cheap and with a full alu-case, android 5.0, Battery 5300 mAh, Display 7.9" 2048x1536 IPS LCD...

that looks pretty loving fantastic, glad I didn't bother jumping on the new-ish Shield promo that was basically a bunch of free games and a free controller.

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014

db franco posted:

Is the nexus 9 really that bad? I've read the other thread and it seems there are lot of happy folks.

To dissuade "anyone with a clear conscience" seems harsh. Can you share your experience in more detail?

First I have to say sorry for my long response time didn't forget you.

The most horrible thing with the N9 is for me the plastic back side and the instability of the tablet and the poor processing of the housing and this is a problem of all N9.
Here is a test from IFIXIT Nexus 9. and now look at this Nokia N1 for example.

Review's:
Nexus 9
Nvidia Shield

A interesting side note happened today after playing "Darkness Reborn" for a while.
The N9 told me battery capacity is low so I was starting charging with the usb cable, so that I can continue to play. But the battery-need is so much that the charging can't catch up what the graphic unit needs and the N9 shuts down. No idea if other tablets do it same.
In music or video/internet mode no problem with using and charging at the same time.

The back side near the back side camera is hot, really hot. Anytime if I watch videos or play games. It´s normal that a tablet is warm if it has much to do, but my N9 (and this is the second with that) is hot after a short time playing games for example.
And heat is the enemy of the lifetime from the processor.

Really good is the customer support from google if you ordered the tablet on play store!

Next is the screen.
Backlight bleeding and bleeding after touching.
Here a example pictures for understanding how it looks Example Picture for N9 Backlight Bleeding

What I read about Nexus 9 Backlight bleeding is, that the backlight bleeding is a general N9 problem and for me it is true, my second N9 has the same screen issues as the first, but this is only a problem if you have a dark background.
Sad part, after the first switch on of your appliance, do you have a black screen for the boot time and see the Backlight bleeding.
If you touch a bit to much you see the same effect as if you touch a TFT-monitor accidentally.

With a full Alu-Case the N9 would be perfect. Ok the battery from the N10 is a need to :p

But please this are all things I have a problem with it, maybe you or some other has a different view of this "problems". My advice is, go in a store touch different tablets, in best case touching the tablet you have cast an eye on it. Then after a bit touching, go home and make a price check before you order your chosen tablet.

XenJ fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 2, 2014

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014

Straker posted:

that looks pretty loving fantastic, glad I didn't bother jumping on the new-ish Shield promo that was basically a bunch of free games and a free controller.

If your choise Isn't the Nvidia shild at the end, take a look in the play store and install this Nvidia Tegra Zone app.
It's the app from the shild tablet and you can finde much gratis games... al optimized for tegra chips but works with other tablets too.
You got a nice quick view about the newest games...

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Cross-post from the Windows tablet thread- A month or so after its release, how do people like the T200? I was looking at the T100 a while ago to replace my laptop but then the T200 dropped and I like that there's a more powerful version of what I was originally going to buy now, because who knows if/when I'll build the Dream Gaming Desktoptm I keep telling myself I'll put together. I also have enough Amazon points and other gift cards stocked up where I could pick up th $500 model for under $300, and I have a spare Office '13 key so it not coming pre-installed on that model is no big deal.

The big question is whether or not it's a good laptop replacement, as I'd probably be using anything like this with its keyboard dock 90+% of the time. I was also looking at a Surface Pro if I waited to save up more though I'm seeing some "it's not a good laptop" smoke on this page, or a Yoga which I don't know much about. Use case is typical stuff- internet, Office, music & video playing/streaming, 2D and old-rear end/low-demand 3D gaming would be nice but not a deal-breaker. Not having that might also motivate me to sooner build that desktop too :v:

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014

C-Euro posted:

Cross-post from the Windows tablet thread- A month or so after its release, how do people like the T200? I was looking at the T100 a while ago to replace my laptop but then the T200 dropped and I like that there's a more powerful version of what I was originally going to buy now, because who knows if/when I'll build the Dream Gaming Desktoptm I keep telling myself I'll put together. I also have enough Amazon points and other gift cards stocked up where I could pick up th $500 model for under $300, and I have a spare Office '13 key so it not coming pre-installed on that model is no big deal.

The big question is whether or not it's a good laptop replacement, as I'd probably be using anything like this with its keyboard dock 90+% of the time. I was also looking at a Surface Pro if I waited to save up more though I'm seeing some "it's not a good laptop" smoke on this page, or a Yoga which I don't know much about. Use case is typical stuff- internet, Office, music & video playing/streaming, 2D and old-rear end/low-demand 3D gaming would be nice but not a deal-breaker. Not having that might also motivate me to sooner build that desktop too :v:

A pro, to come to a Android system is in addition to your wrote ..."Use case is typical stuff- internet, Office, music & video playing/streaming..." that with a google account you can store 20k songs and they are available every time you have internet connection all albums/songs you buy didn't count. this is available for up to 10 devices.

Apple iTunes has 10 devices too but from that 10 only 5 Computers allowed and your available space is without paying limited to 5 GB but you can buy for 24,99 US-Dollar/year a iTunes Match abo for your multimedia content. A pro to the Apple system is they have more apps and mostly new stuff comes to Apple first for example if you like home automatisation take a look Tabü Lümen Bulb.

But before you make a decision and replace your laptop with tablet spend time in the google play and Apple app store if you find all the programs you need and or use or if you can replace it with a similar app.

This are examples. You can all customized with open source applications maybe for your own cloud service via Raspberry Pi to store your multimedia files...

A tablet in combination with a Chromecast stick and works fine for me and I can do all my office stuff with tablet (hope google sell the keyboard cover soon in europe hehe).

I read a interesting note about the Yoga Tablet 2 Pro... take a look :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a42qZIA_toc

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I'm guessing XenJ's first language is not English.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

XenJ posted:

I would have a hard time recommending any Android running an Intel chip right now since the switch from Dalvik to ART has been a little rough on the vastly more ubiquitous ARM devices, so I'm not sure how well things will run.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Thanks but I'm not really interested in an Apple or Android tablet (I've had an Android tablet for a couple years and never had much reason to use it). I'd much rather have a Windows machine; I would get a traditional laptop but now that I'm out of school I don't need "laptop strength" out of a portable computer, and now that I'm making money I can afford both a portable and desktop computer, and don't need to only buy something in the middle.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

I'm looking for a tablet to use as an availability sign for a conference room. The safe option is an ipad, but I can probably get a cheaper android tablet that would work just as well, if not better. However I don't know which dumb candy name OS I'd need to get modern apps off of the app store. Is a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 Lite something that could run an app like this? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gogetcorp.roomdisplay.v4

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
I would like to buy a cheap but good Android tablet, preferrably one that's still in stores (I haven't been able to buy a Nexus 7).

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

XenJ posted:

quote:

One notable first here, Nokia is utilizing the new USB Type-C connector for the tablet, and not entirely in the way we’d expect. With the Type-C connector serving as Nokia’s analogue to Apple’s Lightning, Nokia is using what they call a “Micro-USB 2.0 with a Type-C reversible connector” setup, which means that while this is a Type-C connector it is only wired up for USB 2.0 and not USB 3.0. Given the design goals of the Type-C connector, we expect this will be the first of many such mobile devices to make use of it in the coming months.

You can read more about it here, but Type-C is basically the latest "Only one more cable redesign, forever. For real, guys! I swears it!" I'm pretty sure that was the goal with original USB too, and look at how many versions of it exist now (though the industry seems to have mostly settled on USB and MicroUSB). I can't help but wonder what other aspect of cable design will need to be re-thought in 5-10 years, that we can't even predict now. Surely they will at least have to increase the transfer speed and power output (Type C does 10Gbps and 100W/5A). But I guess those would probably be backward compatible. What happens when they can't increase that any more due to size limitations? Mega-Type-C, for your high-powered devices! Ugh.

(I'm no expert in cable/electronics design, if I'm saying something dumb here, feel free to correct me.)

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I'm looking at buying my wife a tablet but I'm at a loss on how much I actually need. The most demanding thing she would use it for would probably be Netflix so I'm trying to keep it cheap but I also don't want to end up with something that's mute hassle than it's worth. My main criteria are screen size/display and obviously price. I'm looking at a refurbished fire hd 8.9 that's $179 on Amazon right now but wondering if I could do better.

I would just say screw it and get her an iPad but since this isn't actually something she had asked for, just something I've noticed she would probably like, I don't want to drop the money.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Comrayn posted:

I'm looking at buying my wife a tablet but I'm at a loss on how much I actually need. The most demanding thing she would use it for would probably be Netflix so I'm trying to keep it cheap but I also don't want to end up with something that's mute hassle than it's worth. My main criteria are screen size/display and obviously price. I'm looking at a refurbished fire hd 8.9 that's $179 on Amazon right now but wondering if I could do better.

I would just say screw it and get her an iPad but since this isn't actually something she had asked for, just something I've noticed she would probably like, I don't want to drop the money.

iPad Mini 2 starts at $250 refurbished, they're just sold out of wifi only because of the holidays is the only bummer.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad/ipad_mini_2

I would look around, the Mini 2 is a really good buy and I'm sure there will be a lot of good deals, so you can probably find one for $250-300ish.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
Someone tell me which tablet to get for ~$100. It'll mainly be used by my one year old son (probably just for sesame street and poo poo until he's a bit older and can actually play with it rather than chew on it) and myself/girlfriend to watch Netflix and maybe play some games.

Doesn't need to be top of the line, just looking for something cheap that doesn't run super slow. Cheers!

Edit: should probably also say that size isn't the biggest deal but ive been looking between 8-10"

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
I want to say refurb 2012 Nexus 7 but I don't know if they regularly actually dip much below refurb 2013 prices, though they've been as cheap as $100. Maybe a used/refurb Nabi or something for the kid, but I don't know if those kind of tablets are useful enough for netflix and such? One year old use + grown-up games/movies is kind of a broad use case...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

zeldadude posted:

Someone tell me which tablet to get for ~$100. It'll mainly be used by my one year old son (probably just for sesame street and poo poo until he's a bit older and can actually play with it rather than chew on it) and myself/girlfriend to watch Netflix and maybe play some games.

Doesn't need to be top of the line, just looking for something cheap that doesn't run super slow. Cheers!

Edit: should probably also say that size isn't the biggest deal but ive been looking between 8-10"

At this price, guess whatever is on sale that is a Coby or sold at like, Kohls.