Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

strangemusic posted:

Hahaha...

Just did a run with Proptosis, Polyphemus, Tammy's Head and who knows what else. My first ever "every tear is way bigger than Isaac's body" style run.

Now get Monstro's Lung + Chocolate Milk and have an "every tear is way bigger than the screen" run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

CJacobs posted:

It goes in the direction you're currently firing when you press the use button. If you're not aiming in a direction when you use it, it'll be wasted.

I mean I know that's how it should work, but I can never get it right. Maybe 1 in 5 times it will actually go where I want it to go.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

Playing the Lost, had Brimstone, Guppy (with 9 lives), and holy mantle. Literally couldn't ask for a better run, poo poo just absolutely melted, totally flying through the levels, barely even used the mantle.

I found a bedroom in Depths 2, bombed the carpet, and decided to take the passage to the black market.

...it wasn't a black market :negative:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

drunken officeparty posted:

I mean I know that's how it should work, but I can never get it right. Maybe 1 in 5 times it will actually go where I want it to go.

As I said (I probably should have responded to you instead of CJacobs) I've had a lot more success by not aiming via firing but instead aiming via movement. Stop shooting for a second and use Isaac's momentum to aim the card, it should go directly where Isaac would go. I.e. if you head right the card will go right.

Doomsayer posted:

Playing the Lost, had Brimstone, Guppy (with 9 lives), and holy mantle. Literally couldn't ask for a better run, poo poo just absolutely melted, totally flying through the levels, barely even used the mantle.

I found a bedroom in Depths 2, bombed the carpet, and decided to take the passage to the black market.

...it wasn't a black market :negative:

Check for a ladder next time. I'm assuming you accidentally skipped the Mom fight. If it's a secret room/black market there will be a ladder. If it's a passage down, no ladder. Works for all holes down, even the ones the shovel creates (which can be a BM/secret room).

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

Alkydere posted:

Check for a ladder next time. I'm assuming you accidentally skipped the Mom fight. If it's a secret room/black market there will be a ladder. If it's a passage down, no ladder. Works for all holes down, even the ones the shovel creates (which can be a BM/secret room).

It didn't even dawn on me that the passage down could be anything but the black market. :downs:

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Doomsayer posted:

It didn't even dawn on me that the passage down could be anything but the black market. :downs:

I learned this the hard way too. Well, that those latches can be level skips. I knew not every single one of them was the black market. :(

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Guess i'll do that two more times.

Last item I needed to collect was Missing No. I had a really awesome load out before picking it up: Monstro's Lung, Pyromaniac, Ipecec, Parasite, Cricket's Body, and Libra. I could near instantly charge the lung and spray hundreds of explosions everywhere. Found Dad's Key in the Chest so I decided to kill him as well. At that point I have Ludovico, death's touch, quad shot, and Proptosis. I was slow as poo poo for some reason, but everything died once I put them in the blender.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
And that's ??? killed with The Lost. Hit some kind of Isaac nirvana or something, I'm doing pretty good today. Can 3 Dollar Bill give the magnetic tears effect? I had Cursed Eye and that and I swear it felt like ???'s non-homing attacks were veering towards me.

Another fight where having extra lives saved me. I had to've been to 1 or 2 left on my 9, though. I had a horrible Chest run. Multiple double Monstro 2 rooms, a room with two Lokis and a Lokii, which was fun. Thankfully no Cages or Gates. Also, I never have to loving fight Isaac or ??? with The Lost again now, and that's pretty great.

Unfortunately, that means Satan and The Lamb are next, and that's not great. Gonna need more than Cursed Eye and a 3 Dollar Bill to get by them. I'm terrible at dodging Satan. I think I'm gonna need to hope for Holy Mantle and the Stop Watch to get through there.

Here's to getting killed at the very end of a run by The Lamb's stupid head ram!

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
You know what grinds my gears most about Cursed Eye? It's the fact a 'burst fire tears' mechanic is actually reasonably cool, potentially balanced item if not for the stupid teleport drawback.

We have shotgun tears, we have large single slow firing tears, and we have machine gun tears and charge tears. Why not burst fire without such an awful drawback?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Poizen Jam posted:

You know what grinds my gears most about Cursed Eye? It's the fact a 'burst fire tears' mechanic is actually reasonably cool, potentially balanced item if not for the stupid teleport drawback.

We have shotgun tears, we have large single slow firing tears, and we have machine gun tears and charge tears. Why not burst fire without such an awful drawback?

Isn't Monstro's Lung the same thing? Or am I thinking wrong because I never pick the drat thing up any more.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dewgy posted:

Isn't Monstro's Lung the same thing? Or am I thinking wrong because I never pick the drat thing up any more.

The Lung fires about a dozen tears in a random cone all at once. The Eye fires up to a 5 shot burst of your current pattern in very quick succession. The real problem with the eye is that it doesn't work with anything fun.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 2, 2014

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Poizen Jam posted:

I think it's fine since the teleport is easily worked around (that is, only teleporting you if you are charging)

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Dewgy posted:

Monstro's Lung is what I meant by 'shotgun tears'

Volt Catfish posted:

I think it's fine since the teleport is easily worked around (that is, only teleporting you if you are charging)

But the teleport mechanic is so bad. I can see if the item was a near carry item like Brimstone, but the drawback is way too big and the synergies not cool enough for it to be worth taking.

If Brimstone had the teleport drawback, it would still be super good. Saddling Cursed Eye with that drawback turns a potentially cool middle of the road item into an avoid-at-all-costs item.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The teleport isn't that bad once you learn how it works. You don't teleport while shooting or while holding a full charge, only while actually charging up a shot.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Are sad bombs with quad shot brimstone going to do what I think they will do?

e: meh, it's okay

Sanctum fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 2, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Sanctum posted:

Are sad bombs with quad shot brimstone going to do what I think they will do?

Sadly, I'm pretty sure sad bombs only fire normal tears, albeit big ones. Feel free to prove me wrong.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Does the lump of coal from Krampus lower your damage if you shoot at point blank? Or is it only increasing from your base damage if it goes far?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

drunken officeparty posted:

Does the lump of coal from Krampus lower your damage if you shoot at point blank? Or is it only increasing from your base damage if it goes far?

Pretty sure it's only an increase. It's also not based on distance, but time in the air. Slow shots with ringworm, hookworm or tiny planet rack up some pretty decent damage.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

dis astranagant posted:

Sadly, I'm pretty sure sad bombs only fire normal tears, albeit big ones. Feel free to prove me wrong.

There are at least some abnormal tears that work in conjunction with Sad Bombs. Ipecac, for example.

Also, if Sad Bombs fire regular tears instead of Brimstone, then what the gently caress is the reasoning on not synching with Dr. Fetus, to let you shoot unlimited Tear-producing bombs?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Also, if Sad Bombs fire regular tears instead of Brimstone, then what the gently caress is the reasoning on not synching with Dr. Fetus, to let you shoot unlimited Tear-producing bombs?

I would presume to prevent you from shooting unlimited tear-producing bombs.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I just found out that if you ever get soy milk, pray for Libra. Instantly maxed out all my stats, I was gushing tears out of my stupid little face and one-hitting almost everything until the late levels.

Poizen Jam posted:

If Brimstone had the teleport drawback, it would still be super good.

I think cursed eye is pretty okay but it would definitely be better like this. Some really powerful item with a slightly annoying drawback.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:
Dry babby got wet

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

dis astranagant posted:

Pretty sure it's only an increase. It's also not based on distance, but time in the air. Slow shots with ringworm, hookworm or tiny planet rack up some pretty decent damage.

Unless you have Ludivoco Technique, at which point it's obviously based on distance. But then again if that was based on time you'd end up with a comically damaging floating mega-tear rather rapidly.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
God I hate it when this game taunts you with an item that you need but can't get. I had 0 keys and the only key that spawned on the floor was in the middle of an island I had no way to get to and because of that I had to skip the treasure room. On the next floor I got like 6 keys. :cripes:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

CJacobs posted:

God I hate it when this game taunts you with an item that you need but can't get. I had 0 keys and the only key that spawned on the floor was in the middle of an island I had no way to get to and because of that I had to skip the treasure room. On the next floor I got like 6 keys. :cripes:

Or 3 dark rocks on floor 1 but no bombs? :suicide:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

CJacobs posted:

Played a run as Maggy today where I didn't get a single bomb until Necropolis. Also got barely any keys so I had to skip three treasure rooms. Of course once I reached Womb it gave me a bunch of bombs and keys.

Hard mode can be absurdly stingy. That run did make me realize though that yum heart is actually a pretty strong item.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Koramei posted:

I just found out that if you ever get soy milk, pray for Libra. Instantly maxed out all my stats, I was gushing tears out of my stupid little face and one-hitting almost everything until the late levels.

I cant believe I never thought of this. It would really be the one item that would make soy milk worth it imho.

I did just learn that Libra doesn't just balance your current stats; it balances all of your future stats as well. Meaning if you got stigmata which is a damage up, the amount of that damage up would be even distributed among all your stats, similar to some all stats up items. Fair warning if you see Libra, be wary that it can kind of gimp you in this way.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

This should be really obvious but mom's eye and loki's horns do not mix well with ipecac, even if you do have Monstro's Lung doing all the heavy lifting.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Unless you are going for the achievements, a level 2 bandage girl and a level 2 meat boy >>>>>>> a level 4 of any of them.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I can't for the life of me get a lamb kill on Eve. That's the last one I need to have lamb/chest done on every character except Azazel and Eden.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Saw this on the official BoI reddit, this happens if you reach 2000 floors in the BASE MENT seed

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
The '6' Dice room can do strange and beautiful things to your shop.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

dis astranagant posted:

The teleport isn't that bad once you learn how it works. You don't teleport while shooting or while holding a full charge, only while actually charging up a shot.

Is this definitely true? Because I had it yesterday, and actually I didn't even know you could charge shots with it (hence I wasn't trying to), and I was still getting teleported out of the room all over the place. Unless there's another item that randomly teleports you when taking damage? I'm pretty sure it was Cursed Eye I had.

Logan 5 posted:

It would really be the one item that would make soy milk worth it imho.

Do people not like Soy Milk? I quite enjoy it. I unlocked the D6 with it last night, had it for most of my run.

(e: although I did also have Crystal Ball for most of the run, and later The Book Of Shadows and The Habit)

chippy fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Dec 2, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

chippy posted:

Is this definitely true? Because I had it yesterday, and actually I didn't even know you could charge shots with it (hence I wasn't trying to), and I was still getting teleported out of the room all over the place. Unless there's another item that randomly teleports you when taking damage? I'm pretty sure it was Cursed Eye I had.

Do people not like Soy Milk? I quite enjoy it. I unlocked the D6 with it last night, had it for most of my run.

The Cursed Skull trinket teleports you if you get hit with half a red heart or less (it doesn't check soul hearts). That's the only other involuntary teleport I can think of.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

chippy posted:

(e: although I did also have Crystal Ball for most of the run, and later The Book Of Shadows and The Habit)

How do you not notice that you have charge shots? Do you normally tap the button like a madman instead of just holding it down?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Looks like Soy Milk doubles your dps if you have no other tears up items. It divides your damage by 5 (but you can still raise it) and sets your shot delay to 100 milliseconds instead of the base 1000. The problem is mostly the knockback and the fact that pure dps in tiny chunks kinda blows for weak targets.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

How do you not notice that you have charge shots? Do you normally tap the button like a madman instead of just holding it down?

I'm not sure to be honest. No, I don't normally tap the button, I hold it. Thinking about it though, I think I picked up chocolate milk really soon after. I'm not sure how I've not noticed it before though.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Ugh, I was having a terrible bunch of Eve runs, I could never get her powerful enough to survive past Mom's Heart. Eventually I got a run that started with Ipecac floor one. Then I got Mutant Spider in the Depths II and thought I was pretty set, but found a secret Ludovico Technique...

Sadly it did not give me flying explosions, just a large death ball that was being orbited by three smaller ones. So, while somewhat safer, it wasn't nearly as fun as barfing four green bombs. Picking up Technology and Proptosis in the Chest though, that made it really interesting again. Every room became a plasma globe of death.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

wyoming posted:

Ugh, I was having a terrible bunch of Eve runs, I could never get her powerful enough to survive past Mom's Heart. Eventually I got a run that started with Ipecac floor one. Then I got Mutant Spider in the Depths II and thought I was pretty set, but found a secret Ludovico Technique...

Sadly it did not give me flying explosions, just a large death ball that was being orbited by three smaller ones. So, while somewhat safer, it wasn't nearly as fun as barfing four green bombs. Picking up Technology and Proptosis in the Chest though, that made it really interesting again. Every room became a plasma globe of death.

I learned that same exact lesson last night while going for the hard mode boss rush with Lazarus. Lost all my killing power right before mom and got whittled down and died at the horsemen part :(

I don't know what it is about Laz but every time I play him I either die just as I get the ball rolling or I never get it rolling at all. He just seems to always be crap no matter what I do or items I get. That mom kill last night is my only anything kill ever with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Nastyman posted:

I learned that same exact lesson last night while going for the hard mode boss rush with Lazarus. Lost all my killing power right before mom and got whittled down and died at the horsemen part :(

I don't know what it is about Laz but every time I play him I either die just as I get the ball rolling or I never get it rolling at all. He just seems to always be crap no matter what I do or items I get. That mom kill last night is my only anything kill ever with him.

Honestly my best runs were made with Lazarus. He has enough punching power to get easily all the way to mom, and you really need to focus on getting items that works well, and especially Dark Bum.

Dark Bum is generally a very good guy, but with Laz you turn into and unkillable machine. Boss-rushes become hilariously easy, and with a few damage upgrades - either one or two, or if you are lucky the splitbeam and a few speed upgrades - will easily murder anything.

e: A few tips. Try to find a curse room asap, get in, grab the item and use your fool to get back out without taking damage.

Take advantage of the fact that you have very easy access to devil's deals. Dark Bum is number one priority. Be carefull with some of the pickups tho', they are more often than not poo poo. The Mark and Abaddon are good choices. Pentagram is good as well. Any item that does lower your speed to the extreme except the split is kinda bad. Try to find a good balance.

Always flying is great.. You get access to a lot of items you would not get otherwise, and can hide on rocks.

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Dec 2, 2014