Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Putting aside the actual question of whether the claim is valid or not, I'm curious what you mean by this.

What I find funny about the Argentine claims is, besides the Malvinas, they still call the others South Georgia, South Orkneys, South Shetland. Way to admit to UK presence, guys.

ecureuilmatrix fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Dec 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Why did they nuke Antarctica and Saudi Arabia?

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Badger of Basra posted:

Why did they nuke Antarctica and Saudi Arabia?

To combat global warming with some nuclear winter.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
So the Arabian Peninsula is a nuclear wasteland, but the UAE, Qatar and a bit of Oman managed to survive?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I just noticed Taiwan is also irradiated, but somehow the rest of Asia is fine.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Badger of Basra posted:

It's not. It's a different shade of green.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

No it's not, it's under the "Republic of China" color.

EDIT: efb

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Does Tom Clancy especially hate Arabs, but only the Peninsular and Shia varieties?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Funny how both Cuba and Venezuela end up as the only US protectorates.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

icantfindaname posted:

Does Tom Clancy especially hate Arabs, but only the Peninsular and Shia varieties?

I don't think Tom Clancy knows that there is a difference between Muslims and Arabs.

e X fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 2, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

e X posted:

I don't think Tom Clancy knows that there is a difference between Muslims and Arabs.

Probably not, he's dead.

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

by Pragmatica
To be fair, I read the description, and Saudi Arabia is targeted by ecoterrorists for its oil production alone.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
The one upshot of living in a lovely farm town is there's nothing near me that's a target for nuking(Maybe Fermilab? Even then I'm still far enough away to only get the edge, maybe). I just have to deal with fallout. :toot:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Distribution of invalid votes :lol:

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86
PYF overlapping claims map

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

icantfindaname posted:

You mean his ghost writers? End War was well after Tom Clancy actually wrote the plots of the video games that took his name.

End War is hilarious because it follows the state someone would think the world would be in by 2020 if trends continued unchanged a decade ago. Russia is a superpower, bolstered by being the #1 energy providing country in the world, and the European Union is now a federation where all of Europe is pretty much one big country. China is also not a major power and Ireland is apparently all about joining the new British Empire.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010

Trench_Rat posted:

PYF overlapping claims map

Why does nobody claim that bit in the Amundsen sea? Beyond not having any bullshit Islands nearby I guess, most of those claims are crap either way.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I'm guessing that's the part of Antarctica that's South of absolutely nothing but some island micronations in the Pacific that wouldn't be able to claim a reasonable chunk or even afford to do anything with it.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I'm guessing that's the part of Antarctica that's South of absolutely nothing but some island micronations in the Pacific that wouldn't be able to claim a reasonable chunk or even afford to do anything with it.

So... it's American then right.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

There's a treaty that basically says that Antarctica is no-one's (or common property of all of humanity or something), but any claims that were made before the treaty have been frozen. According to the treaty, it's not possible to utilize those claims (you can't chase away foreign research bases from an area you claimed), to change them, or to claim unclaimed parts. Existing claims stay were they are: as useless lines on a map.

The punishment for breaking this treaty might be an angry stare from the UN. Nobody is going to bother breaking that treaty until they find a financially viable way to extract fossil fuels from Antarctica.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Where is the Norwegian claim coming from?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Torrannor posted:

Where is the Norwegian claim coming from?

Probably related to the fact that the Norwegian explorer Amundsen was the first person to reach the actual South Pole.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

Probably related to the fact that the Norwegian explorer Amundsen was the first person to reach the actual South Pole.

It actually dates to the 1930s, and had more to do with commercial interests (whaling) than exploration.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Putting aside the actual question of whether the claim is valid or not, I'm curious what you mean by this.

Argentina's claim to the Falklands is based on the previous ownership of the islands by the Spanish and that the Spanish claim was never relinquished before Argentina's independence. As Britain has never relinquished its claim on the Antarctic Territory, it precludes Argentina's claim on the Antarctic.

Argentina's claim to the Antarctic Territory is based on the lack of a permanent population there. As the Falklands were emptied prior to the British settlement, it preclude's Argentina's claim on the Falklands.

The Argentinian claims to the South Sandwich Islands is also hilarious as there's less justification than their claim on the Antarctic.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Markovnikov posted:

Why does nobody claim that bit in the Amundsen sea? Beyond not having any bullshit Islands nearby I guess, most of those claims are crap either way.

I could have sworn that used to be claimed by someone, but they changed their claim before the claims were frozen by treaty.

I remember seeing it claimed by someone in a 1950s-era reference book my parents had.

TinTower posted:

Argentina's claim to the Falklands is based on the previous ownership of the islands by the Spanish and that the Spanish claim was never relinquished before Argentina's independence. As Britain has never relinquished its claim on the Antarctic Territory, it precludes Argentina's claim on the Antarctic.

Argentina's claim to the Antarctic Territory is based on the lack of a permanent population there. As the Falklands were emptied prior to the British settlement, it preclude's Argentina's claim on the Falklands.

The Argentinian claims to the South Sandwich Islands is also hilarious as there's less justification than their claim on the Antarctic.

Not to mention, that if we go by "finders keepers" as Argentina wants, then the islands should go to the French. :v:

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Nintendo Kid posted:

I could have sworn that used to be claimed by someone, but they changed their claim before the claims were frozen by treaty.

I remember seeing it claimed by someone in a 1950s-era reference book my parents had.
The US was considering claiming at least part of the unclaimed area but never made it official. It did get marked on some maps at one point though.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Markovnikov posted:

It's remote and barren, even by Antarctic standards. No one claims it because no one cares enough to want to claim it.

Golbez fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 2, 2014

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Who knows what latitude Antarctica will be at in a hundred million years? It's smart to stake out your claim as soon as possible.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Phlegmish posted:

Who knows what latitude Antarctica will be at in a hundred million years? It's smart to stake out your claim as soon as possible.
Antarctica is likely stuck mostly where it is. Like, when everyone else join up around the North Pole, Antarctica will have maybe moved 10 degrees. That said, having a super continent on one pole and a regular one on the other probably isn't the most stable configuration, and the whole crust might just decide to swivel around and put both on the equator.

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

by Pragmatica

Alternatively, http://www.scotese.com/futanima.htm has a little JAVA animation of the next 250 million years of continental drift. Europe and Africa collide, the Mediterranean dries up. Alaska collides with Russia for a while, then North America breaks away from Asia and starts heading back towards Europe.

Then, suddenly, most of Antarctica violently breaks off and swiftly moves towards the Maldives, which made me laugh out loud for some reason.

Nameless_Steve fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 2, 2014

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Phlegmish posted:

Why wait for continental drift when climate change will do the job just as well?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Here's something neat, a Japanese board game called "Home Education: Around the World Board Game" made in 1926.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Fojar38 posted:

Northern Maine looks like it would be fine since the map is assuming no strikes in Canada although that seems unlikely since NORAD plus most of Canada's population is situated in the area directly west of it.

Canada's main tank base is just on the other side of the border of Northern Maine. It would be hosed.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Huh, I didn't know that 8 year olds had the whole supernatural thing going on too with their dolls.

Also, I'm guessing Children's Tablets are some specialty thing?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Do kids in New Mexico buy MLP toys for the ranch, or something?

Abilifier
Apr 8, 2008
So, Colorado's full of nerds?

And in Vermont are all the lumberjack dads hand carving toys for their lumberkids? That's kind of nice actually.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Colorado :psyduck:

New Mexico :psypop:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

computer parts posted:

Huh, I didn't know that 8 year olds had the whole supernatural thing going on too with their dolls.

Also, I'm guessing Children's Tablets are some specialty thing?

Yeah they're usually cheap, slow, and heavily padded: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ipad-tablets-ereaders/kids-tablets/pcmcat313100050038.c?id=pcmcat313100050038

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?
Alabama does love football, so the map checks out!