Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

ShadowCatboy posted:

EDIT: Also, the Fire Nation assumed they had a superior culture, which is more Chinese than anything.

Isn't that just every nation with imperial ambition that has ever existed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The Sharmat posted:

Yep.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Darkhorse has confirmed that there will be a fourth Avatar Graphic Novel trilogy, called "Swords and Shadows", and will deal with the Fire Nation, Royal Family, and Mai.

:neckbeard:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I finished the Last Airbender because everyone said I'd get a lot more out of Korra if I did it. It was all around a good show, but christ there was a lot of comic relief forced into there if the show got too plot-heavy. I understand it's a show on Nick and they had to keep the target audience interested, but still was pretty grating. Not to mention the problem quick-fixes out of a rabbit hat once things got too serious.

At any rate, is Legend Of Korra better at toning that down? I've heard a ton of good things about it from other people and goons last time I checked. But the first part of the OP and the thread title say something different?

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Avocados posted:

I finished the Last Airbender because everyone said I'd get a lot more out of Korra if I did it. It was all around a good show, but christ there was a lot of comic relief forced into there if the show got too plot-heavy. I understand it's a show on Nick and they had to keep the target audience interested, but still was pretty grating. Not to mention the problem quick-fixes out of a rabbit hat once things got too serious.

At any rate, is Legend Of Korra better at toning that down? I've heard a ton of good things about it from other people and goons last time I checked. But the first part of the OP and the thread title say something different?

There is definitely less of the thing that you don't like, for sure.

Korra is an excellent show, with some very bad moments.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Korra is an extremely average show as a whole with some staggering lows that are sometimes overly protracted (season 2 in a nutshell) and a few okay highs (most of which were in season 3, but season 2 also has a very good two-parter). Verdict's still out on 4 and entirely dependent on if they stick the landing, which they're 1 for 3 on.

It pretty much coasts on a massive amount of goodwill built up by ATLA in building up interest in the world and leaving people wanting to see more of it. If this show existed in a vacuum without that presence probably no one gives a poo poo about it, especially not after season 2.

Also please don't lie to him. The show still forces (very cringe-worthy) comedic relief with no regard for the scene's mood, and it still loves its asspulls.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Dec 2, 2014

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Oh Snapple! posted:

The show still forces (very cringe-worthy) comedic relief with no regard for the scene's mood
Even to this day! :(

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The Legend of Korra is okay.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Oh Snapple! posted:

and a few okay highs

Season 3 (especially the later half) is some of the best animated TV I've seen in a long time.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

ETB posted:

Season 3 (especially the later half) is some of the best animated TV I've seen in a long time.

Yeah, Season 3 is just all-around solid.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The Sharmat posted:

China literally refused to recognize the idea of non-China sovereign states, even in theory. All foreign countries that wanted official diplomatic ties were required to formally swear fealty to the Emperor.

Oh Snapple! posted:

Korra is an extremely average show as a whole with some staggering lows that are sometimes overly protracted (season 2 in a nutshell) and a few okay highs (most of which were in season 3, but season 2 also has a very good two-parter). Verdict's still out on 4 and entirely dependent on if they stick the landing, which they're 1 for 3 on.

It pretty much coasts on a massive amount of goodwill built up by ATLA in building up interest in the world and leaving people wanting to see more of it. If this show existed in a vacuum without that presence probably no one gives a poo poo about it, especially not after season 2.

Also please don't lie to him. The show still forces (very cringe-worthy) comedic relief with no regard for the scene's mood, and it still loves its asspulls.

Well, it's still better than real deal shounen anime, which being targeted at children from like 8 years old to 18, has the whole tonal schizophrenia going on to an extreme degree. I don't actually mind that, but IMO if that's a problem for you it could be a lot worse

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 2, 2014

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
Season Three was good. Everything else has been mediocre at the very best.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Thanks for the input guys. I'll keep it in mind. Also weird question, but is there any good cultural writeups of Last Airbender out there? I can't really explain it other than in Lets Play where Chip and Ironicus played Uncharted 2 while making gigantic careposts about tibetan culture and stuff. That was incredible.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Avocados posted:

Thanks for the input guys. I'll keep it in mind. Also weird question, but is there any good cultural writeups of Last Airbender out there? I can't really explain it other than in Lets Play where Chip and Ironicus played Uncharted 2 while making gigantic careposts about tibetan culture and stuff. That was incredible.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

How shockingly convenient and quick. Thanks!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Avocados posted:

Actually now that you've seen A:TLA, you don't really need to watch Korra. You'll probably just get disappointed. If you get a kick out of people fighting using elemental magic, try watching Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, you'll probably get a whole lot more out of it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Misandrist Wytch posted:

Season Three was good. Everything else has been mediocre at the very best.

Season 1 was pretty good until the end, and the attack on the stadium remains one of my favorite moments of ATLA and LoK. About the time not-Zuko shows up is when you get far too many exposition dumps and way too much time spent on said spoiled character and not enough on Korra. Then the ending.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Avocados posted:

How shockingly convenient and quick. Thanks!

I really should add some more updates...

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ShadowCatboy posted:

What? The Fire Nation has more of a Qin/Han Chinese style than anything else, though Japanese and Southeast Asian elements were also included. The Qin dynasty centered around a tyrannical king conquering the local nations in the quest to unify the lands under his banner to form the Chinese Empire.

Sounds more like Chin the Conqueror (whose name is literally a pun on Qin).

Japan is the major influence, especially the Meiji Restoration era Japan.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

computer parts posted:

Sounds more like Chin the Conqueror (whose name is literally a pun on Qin).

Japan is the major influence, especially the Meiji Restoration era Japan.

Not when you look at the fashion and weaponry of the Fire Nation. I mean, do you see Japanese kimonos, katanas, haori, chonmage, or geta in the Fire Nation? No. What you see instead are stylized hanfu, three-kingdoms era topknots, and Chinese weaponry like Zuko's iconic shuang dao, or double-swords.

Three Kingdoms Era hairstyle. Note the topknot. Normally the rest of the guy's long hair would drape back behind him, as seen with most members of the Fire Nation nobles such as Ozai, Roku, and Iroh

Fashion comparison between Emperor Qin Shi Huang Di and Iroh. Note the topknot, robe, and shoes.

Chinese Shuang Dao, Zuko's weapon of choice.

Additionally, the glimpses you see of how the Fire Nation treats education and discipline in the Ozai era are pretty direct parallels to the Qin philosophy of Legalism, the idea that brutal and ironfisted rule was necessary to maintain order. The historical revisionism surrounding the war and the hidden history of Zuko's ancestry by the Fire Sages also may harken back to Qin Shi Huang's actions against the "Hundred Schools of Thought," where the newly crowned Emperor engaged in a program of book burning and (allegedly) buried dissenting scholars alive in order to control information.

Also, Ozai discarding the title of "Fire Lord" in favor of the new, more grandiose imperial title of "Pheonix King" in the finale is most likely a reference to how Qin Shi Huang discarded the title of "Guo Wang" (lord/king) and adopted the new imperial title "Huang Di," (sovereign emperor).

Sure, Chin the Conquerer is also obviously based on Qin Shi Huang Di, but it's simply an element that was reused for that purpose. And yes, the Fire Nation also has some Japanese elements to it both historical and stylistic, especially in the unaired pilot. However, the creators toned down the latter at least in favor of more Chinese elements. Overall, the major influences appear to be Chinese, particularly from the dynasties I mentioned.

ShadowCatboy fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 2, 2014

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Korra is an okay show. I don't mind it despite its glaring issues like lovely comic relief characters since it does offer some very pretty visuals and animations with nice set pieces, great fight choreography (okay, it's still a show for a young target demographic, so no burning or bleeding) and some cool characters.

Korra despite sometimes being a massive inconsiderate self-centered shithead, constantly develops into a more positive character and matures bit by bit.

Bolin and Zuko are horrible characters that should've been cut. They actually ended up slowing down the show for me more than anything else.

Asami is pretty cool. I ended up feeling sorry for her more than the rest of the cast.

Aang's son, Tenzin along with his family are actually pretty interesting. Tenzin is obviously flawed and so are his siblings. A lot of really interesting potential sub-plots that were unfortunately resolved too quickly. Kya and Bumi could've used way more screen time. Jinora ends up being my favorite in the Aang lineage, followed by Bumi and Kya.

The villains are more interesting except for the Season 2 main villain since he was essentially Eskimo emperor Palpatine.

Supporting characters are okay. Again, Kya and Bumi actually end up being more interesting than Tenzin himself at times. Varrick and Zhu Li are a fun duo too.

I should probably write more about the show, but I don't want to spoil for people who might want to get into it.

It's good, but it could've been way way better.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

ShadowCatboy posted:

Not when you look at the fashion and weaponry of the Fire Nation. I mean, do you see Japanese kimonos, katanas, haori, chonmage, or geta in the Fire Nation? No. What you see instead are stylized hanfu, three-kingdoms era topknots, and Chinese weaponry like Zuko's iconic shuang dao, or double-swords.

Imperial Japan with Qin decor, as it were.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

DrSunshine posted:

Actually now that you've seen A:TLA, you don't really need to watch Korra. You'll probably just get disappointed. If you get a kick out of people fighting using elemental magic, try watching Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, you'll probably get a whole lot more out of it.

The Legend of Korra Book 4: You're better off watching anime

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

If you get a kick out of people fighting using elemental magic, try watching Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, you'll probably get a whole lot more out of it.

I actually watched FMA earlier this year while craving new Korra, and it definitely did the trick! (And it ended up opening the floodgates to further anime-watching for me.)

So while I agree with this recommendation (aside from the part saying to skip Korra), I say watch the original FMA before Brotherhood. (I hate the way Brotherhood rushes through/glosses over a lot of the emotional stuff early on because it was already covered by the first show.)

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Madurai posted:

Imperial Japan with Qin decor, as it were.

I mean now it just seems like you're trying to come up with any justification at all to label the evil fire nation as obviously Imperial Japan. Mike and Bryan themselves have said it's not supposed to be Japan. I don't think, in general, they were very concerned with representing/distinguishing real world Asian cultures, and the way the cultural elements seem to be mixed indiscriminately tells me they were either actively trying not to do that, or not even aware of the underlying context

Irish Joe posted:

The Legend of Korra Book 4: You're better off watching anime

You're already watching anime

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 2, 2014

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle

icantfindaname posted:

You're already watching anime

not enough misogyny

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The show is good, the thread is bad.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Avocados posted:

Just watch it. I have the distinct feeling if I'd been following the anticipation threads instead of watching the show on my own and then coming here I'd have despised LoK despite it being overall a better show than its predecessor.

EDIT: It does tone down the inappropriate comic relief somewhat, but it is still there. And unfortunately since the show is overall less light-hearted than ATLA it's even more jarring when it happens.

Bongo Bill posted:

The show is good, the thread is bad.

This.

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 2, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Show is a fairly average teen-level cartoon with momentary flashes of greatness and some really excellent action, held back by a weaker cast that the original series and some fairly bad plotlines. I don't like it as much as I liked Avatar but (aside from chunks of Season 2) it isn't really bad, just at worst not as good as it should be.

Thread is in fact completely terrible.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

Show is a fairly average teen-level cartoon

What other cartoons are on at this point that compare to this show in any way?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

What other cartoons are on at this point that compare to this show in any way?

Gravity Falls isn't really comparable in genre but blows this show out of the water in quality

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

TheKingofSprings posted:

Gravity Falls isn't really comparable in genre but blows this show out of the water in quality

I've heard that.

But yeah I meant more "western animated action cartoon", specifically. I should have put that in my post.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

TheKingofSprings posted:

I dumped Gravity Falls because of that stupid Wendy romance plotline (easily much worse than anything involving Mako), did it get better after that?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Sharmat posted:

I've heard that.

But yeah I meant more "western animated action cartoon", specifically. I should have put that in my post.

I don't watch many cartoons but I've heard generally positive things about Adventure Time, Stephen Universe and Gravity Falls and I've liked what I've seen of Adventure Time. In terms of animated 'serious action' there isn't much but that isn't really high praise because there aren't many of that brand of show on the market period.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

The Sharmat posted:

Steven Universe is fantastic, too. Nothing like Korra, though. (And not exclusively an action series)

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 2, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

I don't watch many cartoons but I've heard generally positive things about Adventure Time and Gravity Falls and I've liked what I've seen of Adventure Time.

Adventure Time has gotten really boring this season and Gravity Falls is a show for little kids. Neither is really "like" Korra.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

I don't watch many cartoons but I've heard generally positive things about Adventure Time, Stephen Universe and Gravity Falls and I've liked what I've seen of Adventure Time. In terms of animated 'serious action' there isn't much but that isn't really high praise because there aren't many of that brand of show on the market period.

Adventure Time isn't the same genre at all either. I haven't actually seen Stephen Universe so I can't compare.

Still you guys have no idea how lucky you are. You know the animated shows I watched as a kid? The loving 90's animated X-men and Spiderman shows. Those were loving awful.

Things have come a long way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Sharmat posted:

Adventure Time isn't the same genre at all either. I haven't actually seen Stephen Universe so I can't compare.

Still you guys have no idea how lucky you are. You know the animated shows I watched as a kid? The loving 90's animated X-men and Spiderman shows. Those were loving awful.

Things have come a long way.

You're talking about an era which had Batman: The Animated Series so you're objectively wrong. :colbert:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Batman TAS was good for what it was but it's not in the same league as either Avatar series, sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

At this point I enjoy Adventure Time less than Korra. Take that as you will.

• Locked thread