Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lincoln posted:

What exactly did Karen Traviss write that gets people so up in arms? I'm almost completely unfamiliar with EU novels.

She decided to write every Jedi character as borderline evil and the Mandalorians and Boba Fett as super awesome good guys. Even though this completely contradicted everything anyone else was writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

muscles like this? posted:

She decided to write every Jedi character as borderline evil and the Mandalorians and Boba Fett as super awesome good guys. Even though this completely contradicted everything anyone else was writing.

So she was writing from the perspective of the Mandalorians, towards whom the Jedi were kind of assholes? Sounds good.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
all of it op

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
has there ever been a star wars anime

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Not...officially...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tBM2ZfncoU

It's really just some American guy doing these in his spare time or for his portfolio, so no, it's not an actual Japanese animated piece from an established studio over there. I believe the same guy did a Doctor Who anime, with Joe Pertwee the 3rd Doctor (i.e. old dude who looks like he'd be Austin Powers' grandpa).

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 2, 2014

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

...of SCIENCE! posted:

pretty sure there are like 5 japanese sex wars movies

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

...of SCIENCE! posted:

welp http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Manga

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Princess Colleiagen

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Sombrerotron posted:

Princess blow n glow

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Han Shojo

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Could someone list some specific things in KOTOR 2 which are evidence of deliberately making GBS threads on elements of the EU.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Could someone list some specific things in KOTOR 2 which are evidence of deliberately making GBS threads on elements of the EU.

It was well written.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

It was well written.

:vince:

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
someone post that gif of luke skywalker cutting his own head off then obi wan buries him in the desert

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

this guy has the same neck as george lucas

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

SmokaDustbowl posted:

this guy has the same neck as george lucas
And Carol Channing's lipstick

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Can we hate on "The Crystal Star" in here, still? Someone hated on that, right?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

have we talked about how in courtship of princess leia, she wanted some dick from a prince with an eight pack so han basically kidnapped her and dragged her to a planet to make her fall back in love with him but the planet had a witch with a bunch of rancors so luke had to come save the day and han was tortured by having all his teeth broken?

because in retrospect that book is hosed up

I never read that book but I once read the Wookieepedia articles concerning Hapes and it sounds like something created about an MRA to warn about how the wimmenz will take over and ruin everything. :psyduck:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Hellsau posted:

So she was writing from the perspective of the Mandalorians, towards whom the Jedi were kind of assholes? Sounds good.

Yeah, she also pointed out that the slave army of 12 year olds who'd get killed if they weren't sufficiently loyal to the Republic was kind of immoral. She also wrote about clone troopers getting PTSD and how callous the Jedi were to them for using them in such a manner. Also the clone troopers getting treated in a subhuman manner by civilians and generally being sympathetic towards soldiers in general. Giving military people humanity and making it sad when they die kinda puts a damper on the morality of war fantasies. I've talked about wars with people before and most find the idea of 20 or more soldiers sacrificing their lives to save one civilian to be perfectly acceptable. I point out that I was in the military and that I have friends and family in the military and I asked them why they believe their life is worth 20 of ours. The best answer they can stutter out is, "Well, uh you volunteered."

So yeah, I liked the Karen Traviss Star Wars book I read.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

The "villain" does not approve of some malicious, otherworldly "Force" as it calls itself splitting the mortal beings of the universe into two sides, forcing "light" and "dark" to vie with each other, murdering billions of lives in their pursuit of power. For some reason George Lucas has a problem with that interpretation of the Force.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The main reason Traviss got kicked out of writing Star Wars books was because she wouldn't/couldn't keep consistent characterization during shared series. She's also the type of person who didn't take criticism well and would have online meltdowns.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

The main reason Traviss got kicked out of writing Star Wars books was because she wouldn't/couldn't keep consistent characterization during shared series. She's also the type of person who didn't take criticism well and would have online meltdowns.

What is their SA username?

Telesphorus
Oct 28, 2013

gohuskies posted:

They're called Selonians.

I just can't believe this poo poo

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

TOILETLORD posted:

What is their SA username?

SuperMechagodzilla

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

I think it was when they did those episodes of The Clone Wars with pacifist Mandos and she just flipped her loving poo poo. So did all the loving nerds. It was funny.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

KiteAuraan posted:

I think it was when they did those episodes of The Clone Wars with pacifist Mandos and she just flipped her loving poo poo. So did all the loving nerds. It was funny.

I thought it was dumb too but if they flipped their poo poo it sounds pretty good.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

kingcom posted:

I thought it was dumb too but if they flipped their poo poo it sounds pretty good.

There is a whole big fandom of people that are basically like Klingon nerds but for Mandalorians. They learn the language, make the armor, try to live like in the Traviss books, it's p. funny.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4GrHGnFtg4

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Hellsau posted:

The "villain" does not approve of some malicious, otherworldly "Force" as it calls itself splitting the mortal beings of the universe into two sides, forcing "light" and "dark" to vie with each other, murdering billions of lives in their pursuit of power. For some reason George Lucas has a problem with that interpretation of the Force.

Oh yeah, "wanting to destroy the force" would do it. God I really like Kreia.
I hear that because the MMO is Bioware they threw out a lot of the stuff from KOTOR II. Otherwise I might've considered briefly playing some of the story bits once.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Woolie Wool posted:

I never read that book but I once read the Wookieepedia articles concerning Hapes and it sounds like something created about an MRA to warn about how the wimmenz will take over and ruin everything. :psyduck:

:lol:

The article classifies Hapans as "near human". The differences between a Hapan and a Human? Night blindness and beauty. And a matriarchal society.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

A Force Vampire who can eat entire planets and a Force Lich who can't die because he hates everything so goddam much have killed almost all the jedi in the galaxy. Are you a bad enough dude to rescue the remaining jedi masters?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Lote posted:

:lol:

The article classifies Hapans as "near human". The differences between a Hapan and a Human? Night blindness and beauty. And a matriarchal society.

"Hapans are beautiful, but they can't see in the dark." --common proverb

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

So how/why did Chewbacca get a loving moon dropped on him

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

the Force-immune youzon vongs were de-orbiting a moon into a planet to kill a bunch of people because youzon vongs are really unpleasant people, and chewbacca heroically remained behind to evacuate as many people as he could

e: i just looked it up and i guess it was actually just to save han solo's kid, which is even dumber

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Dec 2, 2014

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hellsau posted:

See that makes it sound like there was some sort of balancing thing going on but instead she just went full sprint in the opposite direction and made all Jedi evil and incompetent while all the mandalorians were some sort of pure all-inclusive group of Mary Sue badasses who were right about everything and were the "third part" of some sort of Jedi/sith/mandalorian three way. She was really into military groups and basically just wrote fan fictions extolling their virtues in the Star Wars universe and didn't mind completely rewriting long standing characters motivations and personalities to do so. She did the same thing with the clone troopers when she wrote prequel stuff, including having the padawans be completely useless at lightsaber battle to the point where the clone troopers have to train them in how to use them because for some reason the Jedi were incapable of teaching people in the one form of fighting they're known for.

She also decided for no real reason that there were only clone troopers made in the single digit millions and when the kids show decided "no, there probably had to be way more than that for any of this to make sense on a galactic scale" she threw a hissy fit and literally stopped writing Star Wars books because they contradicted her. She also couldn't handle any sort of criticism whatsoever and called people who didn't like her books "talifans" because why not

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

KiteAuraan posted:

There is a whole big fandom of people that are basically like Klingon nerds but for Mandalorians. They learn the language, make the armor, try to live like in the Traviss books, it's p. funny.

i want to see these people. i imagine they do crossfit because it looks hardcore and is marketed as a warrior code and is equally dumb

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Chill la Chill posted:

i want to see these people. i imagine they do crossfit because it looks hardcore and is marketed as a warrior code and is equally dumb

I imagine they are generally shaped like wine barrels

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

star wars eu shameful confession:

i kind of liked that one that was mace windu's heart of darkness/apocalypse now

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Chill la Chill posted:

close, krav maga, swords and "lightsaber training".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Otisburg posted:

star wars eu shameful confession:

i kind of liked that one that was mace windu's heart of darkness/apocalypse now

It seriously was just heart of darkness with Jedi but that's probably why I don't have any negative memory of it, it's pretty much a perfect fit

• Locked thread