Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

quote:

@BlackBlueReview: Ron Rivera, again stressing personnel to blame for punt blocks:

“There was no flaw, it was about execution.”

lol Rivera already setting himself up for his next job interview.

edit*

@SteveReedAP: Ron Rivera still believes the answers are on this team. "It's not like we don't have answers."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

For those that were bringing up the 'Rob Ryan out at the end of the season' talk.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/saints/2014/11/30/saints-sean-payton-rob-ryan-sideline-argument/19717407/

quote:

"He's been outstanding," Payton said of Ryan. "Yeah, I get upset when there's 12 men on the field…

"That's me. Pick somebody. Pick Greg McMahon (special teams coach). Pick (cornerback) Corey White. Pick the game. Pick (assistant head coach) Joe Vitt. That's just me being fired up. It's just more obvious when it's Rob because the camera is going to be on him more than it's going to be on Greg or a player.

"... That doesn't mean I'm looking for another defensive coach."

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

FizFashizzle posted:

edit*

@SteveReedAP: Ron Rivera still believes the answers are on this team. "It's not like we don't have answers."

Interviews like this always remind me of that old Casey Stengel quote from when he was managing the expansion 1962 Mets.

Q: "Casey, what do you think about the execution of your team?"

A: "I'm in favor of it."

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I'm really surprised a head coach poised to win the NFC south and go to the playoffs isn't publicly throwing his defensive coordinator under the bus.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

FizFashizzle posted:

I'm really surprised a head coach poised to win the NFC south and go to the playoffs isn't publicly throwing his defensive coordinator under the bus.

Yeah, because winning the NFC South this year is really something to be proud of?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

edit*

Outside of obvious clock mismanagement and lovely coach speak, is Ron Rivera really that bad? What did the Carolina FO do to put a product on the field that could win ball games?

The line is poo poo, the receivers are poo poo outside of your #1 and he's pretty alright, the running back situation is and has been poo poo for a long time, the secondary is Thomas Decoud poo poo.

Is Rivera the biggest problem with that organization?

edit: I'm not trolling, I'm honestly asking your opinion, my dog.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

Outside of obvious clock mismanagement and lovely coach speak, is Ron Rivera really that bad? What did the Carolina FO do to put a product on the field that could win ball games?

The line is poo poo, the receivers are poo poo outside of your #1 and he's pretty alright, the running back situation is and has been poo poo for a long time, the secondary is Thomas Decoud poo poo.

The receivers are better as a whole than last year, but there wasn't a lot of flexibility due to the cap situation.

I'll spare you the specifics, but coaching philosophy and personnel decisions have crippled this team.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

UTKevinAcee @UTKevinAcee · 5h 5 hours ago

The Chargers were 9-for-11 on third down. That's 81.8%, highest conversion rate ever by any team against the Ravens.

:barf:

This year's Ravens secondary is a lot like last year's O-line. The bar is so low that it will be hard for the team not to significantly improve. Maybe the Ravens still make the playoffs but I feel comfortable saying their is zero chance that they go on any kind of run if they do.

Swedgin
Aug 22, 2006

by exmarx
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/nov/30/philip-rivers-chargers-ravens-comeback-acee/

quote:

BALTIMORE — Philip Rivers required help to get upright from the trainer’s table and walked as if he needed oil in several spots. His words mostly came with labored breaths. He handled his dress shirt with his fingertips, as if applying it to his torso too suddenly would cause immense pain.

“Dadgummit,” he said, exhaling slowly as he lowered himself onto a stool in front of his locker.

Dadgummit, indeed.

Rivers :allears:

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

FizFashizzle posted:

The receivers are better as a whole than last year, but there wasn't a lot of flexibility due to the cap situation.

I'll spare you the specifics, but coaching philosophy and personnel decisions have crippled this team.

Whoever he hired as Special Teams coach reflects badly on him. A blocked punt is bad but it can happen every now and again. To have two is a serious issue that shows the coach did not even bother make adjustments.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Philip Rivers is the best QB in Chargers history

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Doctor Butts posted:

Injuries and not being able to consistently play above their level of talent.

Yeah. Plus this is still a young team where they don't quite know how to win yet.

I mean...this has been a good season for the Browns. They're just not at full potential yet.

I'm still stupidly fascinated by how Manziel is going to do.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

FuzzySkinner posted:

Yeah. Plus this is still a young team where they don't quite know how to win yet.

I mean...this has been a good season for the Browns. They're just not at full potential yet.

I'm still stupidly fascinated by how Manziel is going to do.
I'm actually optimistic for the next few years (possibly besides having Manziel around), which is certainly an unusual feeling as a Browns fan.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Woah. I hate Tampa more than is healthy, it's a horrible terrible place but literally the one saving grace of that city is the fan-loving-tastic Cuban food and seafood. Surprisingly decent BBQ too.
Leaving out a mention of Mr. Dunderbak's? For shame.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

AAA DOLFAN posted:

So if you only keep a quarterbacks good games and remove all his bad ones he's a good quarterback. Never thought of it like that.

Hey, it works for pitcher evaluation.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

AAA DOLFAN posted:

So if you only keep a quarterbacks good games and remove all his bad ones he's a good quarterback. Never thought of it like that.

Nah, I'm saying if Teddy is Dalton without his occasional close-eyes-heave-ball game he'll be pretty good.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

UTKevinAcee @UTKevinAcee · 5h 5 hours ago

The Chargers were 9-for-11 on third down. That's 81.8%, highest conversion rate ever by any team against the Ravens.

Read that Ravens?? Fire Pees NOW!!!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Huber oooooowns.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
he's rolling with the punches, or kicks heh, too hard

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Pron on VHS posted:

No that was a different owned punter

Steelers, the only franchise you can say "No, the OTHER punter we destroyed on a return"

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

DangerKat posted:

Looks like the Raiders got the message:

this is my favorite friendly fire football gif this season aside from the Penn State dude viciously blocking two teammates.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Pron on VHS posted:

Reminder: the guy who broke Huber's jaw hit him well away from the play after getting punked by a blocker. It wasn't him laying wood on a big block, it was him trying to save face.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Chilichimp posted:

The problem is last year Mike Mitchell and Quentin Mikel played really well and both of those guys were cast offs. The defensive line was the best in the NFL at rushing the passer due in no small part to the play of Greg Hardy - he and Johnson were a terrifying tandem, it also allowed them to do 07 giants type poo poo like shift one of them inside and bring on another edge rusher. Combine that with Luke and Davis and you had a dynamite front seven with a back four that could support the run. All they had to do was be decent against the pass and that's all they were.

A year later Hardy gets put on the exempt list after being franchised for 15 million. Gross and Wharton who formed a very good left side of the line retire, Cam comes into the year not really doing much in training camp, suffering through lingering injuries -with rookies and free agents he needed to find chemistry with at receiver and a line that couldn't protect him.

So the net result is safties who can't cover, corner backs who were never any good to start with and a defensive line that is no longer effective combined with an offensive line featuring two players out of five who should be starting for an NFL franchise, a group of running backs who got hurt from top to bottom and an offensive coordinator who didn't know what the no huddle was. That's not hyperbole either, like I'm not saying he's retarded here, he legitimately had to call Cam in for a meeting so Cam could explain to him how the concept worked.

Couple that with Ron Rivera a guy who needs competent assistants to succeed simply failing to grasp the mood of the team and you have a recipe for implosion.

Fiz is correct though. This is still a hangover from the Hurney years. The Franchise tag on Hardy couldn't really have been avoided but the lack of money outside of there to bring in a guard and a tackle along with a middling corner back and safety is what hurt more than anything. I fully think that while Shula and Rivera might not have been amazing for the next decade had the Panthers trotted out the same offensive and defensive lines this year as last year and Cam been healthy in the preseason they're leading the division right now. They were 3 and 2 at week 5. With the losses coming away to the Ravens and at home to the Steelers. It was after that things went downhill really quickly.

The good thing is the team is easily repairable. It's just going to take some diligent management and an offensive coordinator who knows his ear hole from his rear end in a top hat but the core group is good. Newton, Olsen, Benjamin, Kalil, Tolbert, Philly Brown, Trai Turner form a decent enough player group for complementary pieces like Cotchery and co to be effective if the line gets fixed. Defensively Luke, Davis and Blackburn are a decent linebacker group, Star, Kawaan Short, Johnson and Hardy (if back) form a great defensive line and Norman and Beniwikere form a good enough defensive nucleus.

The team is visibly lacking direction, identity and leadership that they had a year ago. It's Cam's offense and it's Luke's defense and that's fine for a long time (by NFL standards) they need coaches who can form a game plan allowing them to shine and limiting their weaknesses. Instead the coaches are actively ignoring the mood of the team in game situations and not finding ways to limit the failures.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Ehud breaking his ceiling fan was the most eventful part of that game.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

J E T S

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.
Geno Smith is poo poo and I'm extremely scared that the next Jets draft pick is going to be Jameis Winston, who I don't trust to make it to rookie camp without committing a felony.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Miami played like a turd and won.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Geno Smith is poo poo and I'm extremely scared that the next Jets draft pick is going to be Jameis Winston, who I don't trust to make it to rookie camp without committing a felony.

As long as he gets bailed out in time to play, he'll be the best QB the Jets have had in years.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

@MMehtaNYDN: Rex Ryan: "I feel sick."

I like Rex and feel bad for him.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

mcmagic posted:

As long as he gets bailed out in time to play, he'll be the best QB the Jets have had in years.

He's throwing a shitload of picks this year, so he's getting that part down.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ehud posted:

@MMehtaNYDN: Rex Ryan: "I feel sick."

I like Rex and feel bad for him.

He has been utterly incompetent as a HEAD coach for 6 years. He deserves no pity from anyone.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

He's throwing a shitload of picks this year, so he's getting that part down.

He hasn't lost a game since high schoool.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

mcmagic posted:

Wasn't there some stat kind of like that for AJ McCarron?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

mcmagic posted:

Man better go out and sign Ken Dorsey?

He's still a very good prospect (depending on how much stock you put in off the field stuff obviously), but he doesn't look like the sure thing he was last year.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Intruder posted:

Wasn't there some stat kind of like that for AJ McCarron?

You really think his physical tools are comparable to McCarron? Come on.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

mcmagic posted:

You really think his physical tools are comparable to McCarron? Come on.

Then talk about his physical tools instead of saying "He hasn't lost a game since high school"

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

mcmagic posted:

He has been utterly incompetent as a HEAD coach for 6 years. He deserves no pity from anyone.

Yeah but he's still human.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Burger Trench posted:

Yeah but he's still human.

He got to coach a team for 6 years with a VERY long leash while making a ton of money and being set up for a TV career or another DC job. He doesn't really need any pity.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

jameis winston will not last more than 2 years at most in the nfl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Alouicious posted:

jameis winston will not last more than 2 years at most in the nfl

Because he's just a bad guy and won't be able to stay out of trouble or because he won't be good?

• Locked thread