Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

looks like a job for rain of stones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Flavahbeast posted:

Don't C'tis dudes tend to have enough protection to mostly shrug that off? I know the tomb chariots have like 15 protection and the summoned priests have 11 and giant-like hp.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Decrepus fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 2, 2014

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

These are the games we play.

dis astranagant posted:

Don't C'tis dudes tend to have enough protection to mostly shrug that off? I know the tomb chariots have like 15 protection and the summoned priests have 11 and giant-like hp.

Thats why you cast rain of stones several times

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Diabl0658 posted:

Thats why you cast rain of stones several times

Sounds like you just said "play Vanheim, Man, or TC".

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Flavahbeast posted:

I thought Earthquake was the One True Chaff-killer?

Woebin posted:

Sweet, my first ever proper multiplayer Dom4 game. I'm going to die!

Nuh uh, me first.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Mile'ionaha posted:

RoS is like EQ++. Cheaper gem cost, higher damage, no avoidance. If you want to do it on high armor things you can put a guy at the top of the list to drop iron bane. 3-4 rain of stones coming after an iron bane on turn 1 can kill most normal HP things unless they have very high natural prot like released ones or statues. In this situation you could probably skip the iron bane as enough RoS would probably either kill all the Sauromancers or HP route, which auto-kills the mindless skeletons/chariots.

If you do not have access to RoS, there are alternatives though. Earthquake, Firestorm, Storm+Wrathful Skies, and Solar Brilliance etc would all be capable of clearing every last one of those skeletons off the field. All but Earthquake however, require time to work.

If you have some big regenerating thug you can also push it to the turn limit and win that way. Make sure he isn't mindless though as a mindless thug (N9 shrouded golem comes immediately to mind) could easily get auto-routed himself and die due to mindless.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 2, 2014

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Today I have learned a thing.

Next question: I have heard some people mentioned setting up test games, so they can test the outcome of particular army matchups. Any guides on how to do that? Do they build a tiny custom map?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Mile'ionaha posted:

Today I have learned a thing.

Next question: I have heard some people mentioned setting up test games, so they can test the outcome of particular army matchups. Any guides on how to do that? Do they build a tiny custom map?

There are duel maps already in-game that you can use

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
There's also a debug mod which puts every spell at research 0 and adds some low-gem versions of some powerful globals like Wish, which you can use to test things with.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Ooh, thanks! I'll do murder science tonight.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

My tips for Dominions 4:

1. Do not use debug mode
2. Never learn how far away to stand from an elephant

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
doing test runs to see how a specific battle will play out before committing forces is for busta rear end bitches

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Kitfox88 posted:

doing test runs to see how a specific battle will play out before committing forces is for busta rear end bitches

S'ok, I just learned in a solo game that Invulnerability is not as cool as I thought it was.

I figured a pretender with 20 invulnerability and some protection would be pretty invulnerable to militia and swordsmen fire. They weren't.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Mile'ionaha posted:

S'ok, I just learned in a solo game that Invulnerability is not as cool as I thought it was.

I figured a pretender with 20 invulnerability and some protection would be pretty invulnerable to militia and swordsmen fire. They weren't.

Invulnerability is literally just Protection that doesn't apply to Magic Weapons. It even gets reduced by piercing\armor piercing nonmagical weapons. Protection also stacks really weirdly as you go higher so 20 invul + 10 prot does not actually equal 30 total prot against nonmagical weapons, it actually results in more like 25 prot.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Neruz posted:

It even gets reduced by piercing\armor piercing nonmagical weapons.

That is some god drat bullshit right there.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah crossbows gently caress vampires right up, it's pretty amusing.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Mile'ionaha posted:

Nuh uh, me first.

Rain of Stones is definitely the go-to chaff killer. Earthquake is more of a curiosity at worst, a poor man's RoS substitute at best.

It's actually kind of hilarious how, in the late-game, a Dominions veteran doesn't study an army and ask themselves "can I kill it with just a few mages?", they study an army and ask "can I RoS it?". If the answer is no, then they move on to other solutions.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Neruz posted:

Yeah crossbows gently caress vampires right up, it's pretty amusing.

what is a crossbow bolt but a high-velocity stake

AmishSpecialForces
Jul 1, 2008
I was a sucker for UW nations in Dom 3 and have picked up 4 to fart around in SP. Do they every plan on buffing the fishpeoples?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

AmishSpecialForces posted:

I was a sucker for UW nations in Dom 3 and have picked up 4 to fart around in SP. Do they every plan on buffing the fishpeoples?

Next major patch (the most recent one was a month-ish ago and added Nazca and Xibalba) is supposed to be The Underwater Update, and that's about all we know :cthulhu:

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

I've decided I have a favourite global. Let's do la momie du roi graphs!

The last one I cropped lower than the rest because I wanted to get Xibalba's research line on it. They're making some money with all their underwater provinces though!

Boing fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Dec 3, 2014

M_Bison
Mar 15, 2014
Is it worth hugging out Pangaea's Centuar Hierophants/Hierophantides with an N9 bless? Cast ironskin and brand+shield?

Or Quickness + breath of winter.

M_Bison fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Dec 3, 2014

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

M_Bison posted:

Is it worth thugging out Pangaea's Centuar Hierophants/Hierophantides with an N9 bless? Cast ironskin and brand+shield?

Or Quickness + breath of winter.

No unless you are counter thugging something that you can't handle well with normal troops, in which case ditch the shield and slap on an appropriate weapon which is usually axe of hate for pangaea. If you want raiders, use small groups of centaur. If you are losing and trying to turn Hierophants into warriors, then go for it (again no shield. They aren't worth it). A shitload of them with brands should do some damage probably though it's horribly inefficient.

M_Bison
Mar 15, 2014
I was wondering if you can turn them into decent warriors with self-buffs and cheap equipment. I can bless them with N9 and cast ironskin+temper flesh, which should solve armour problems, and they have quite good stats... why not?

I can recruit these guys from forests with temple+lab and am wondering if I can use them offensively. For my forts I recruit dryads because try sieging a fort full of dryads. However dryads are 35 gold more expensive than the centaur dudes and are worth considering if they have some offensive capability.

Maybe with a lightning spear/brand and cheap shield they are worth it? 20 protection + temper flesh + regen should be hard to bust through for mundane troops, right?
Right? :shrug:

It might be worth it to use them as a 'last wave' assault force, let the troops on attack/hold attack eat all those tasty evocs and have an elite squad of these buffed dudes on (ironskin)(temper flesh)(bless)(hold)(hold)Attack

I know I have been disappointed in the past by trying to turn national troops into thugs, but centaurs are the ultimate ponymen. Horse-men. Logically they should thug better then ponymen. :getin:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

2 buffs and a bless will put you near 50 fatigue which is bad to say the least. You would need to waste more gems to give them reinvig and you would probably need to relief too. They die to one good evocation or common stuff like skelespam.

Or you could make a few centaurs led by some village idiot and spend gems on bigger and better things!

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Do fatigue penalties apply to lifeless units? Like if I have a golem self-buff with Body Ethereal and Astral Shield he's on 34 fatigue or whatever for the rest of the fight, does that still make critical hits more likely?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Usually 6-9 W9 white centaurs can kill indie provinces with no problem.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Boing posted:

The last one I cropped lower than the rest because I wanted to get Xibalba's research line on it. They're making some money with all their underwater provinces though!

I found out like 3 turns in that ma bats can't steal the fuckken sun and in a rage i forsook the horrors of magic.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Boing posted:

Do fatigue penalties apply to lifeless units? Like if I have a golem self-buff with Body Ethereal and Astral Shield he's on 34 fatigue or whatever for the rest of the fight, does that still make critical hits more likely?

ya

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Who needs the Sun when you have toads? :frogc00l:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Boing posted:

Yes. He won't accrue more but he will still get the penalty from being at 34.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I didn't rename my scout prophet in Pilgrim's Progress or Prototype.

I feel so ashamed, that I may soon need to commit Seppuku to regain my family's honor. :negative:

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Kitfox88 posted:

I found out like 3 turns in that ma bats can't steal the fuckken sun and in a rage i forsook the horrors of magic.

Yeah, that is bullshit. 4/20 steal the sun every day.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

why would they be able to steal the sun if the caverns are flooded

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

oh come on like you can't steal the sun right into your cavelake hottub

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

oh come on like you can't steal the sun right into your cavelake hottub

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Only the purebreed EA Zotz can steal the sun; later Zotz are too infested with todes to think about suntheft.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
It's funny because MA Xibalba is meant to be played as a blood nation and recruiting bats over the dumb toads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
While most of the todes are pretty crap the standard Muuch Warriors with spears and the Muuch Jungle Warriors they can recruit from forests are actually pretty decent for 10g 4\5r each. They're pretty beefy, though the map move 1 is definitely an issue.

Though I guess for most practical uses swarms of bats are more useful than slow beeftodes. Still the amphibiousness lets you do some useful things with them.

Also if you don't make one Poison Dart Frog then you are playing MA Xibalba rong.

• Locked thread