Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Because he's just a bad guy and won't be able to stay out of trouble or because he won't be good?

yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

If you want to argue the former then I guess there is no way to know. If you want to argue the latter, that is insane.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Why is it insane? His on field decision making has been rough as hell this year before you get to any of the other stuff, which is something that has torpedoed a whole hell of a lot of NFL careers.

e: Christ there was literally an incredibly stupid point shaving theory about him because he's been so bad in a few halves.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 2, 2014

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Grittybeard posted:

Why is it insane? His on field decision making has been rough as hell this year before you get to any of the other stuff, which is something that has torpedoed a whole hell of a lot of NFL careers.

Because he's huge, he has a terrific arm, plays in a pro style offense. A bunch of the picks he's had this season wern't his fault too and no one was saying anything about his decision making last year.... I would be shocked if he fails for on the field reasons.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Jameis Winston has struggled pretty hard at times this year. He was terrible against Florida last week. He threw 3 picks in the first quarter.

He sucked the entire game. We had dudes just sitting underneath routes eating him alive. A halfway competent Gator offense and FSU would be out of the playoff picture.

Also he is a rapist.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

mcmagic posted:

Because he's huge, he has a terrific arm, plays in a pro style offense. A bunch of the picks he's had this season wern't his fault too and no one was saying anything about his decision making last year.... I would be shocked if he fails for on the field reasons.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

mcmagic posted:

He's maybe 6'4" which isn't huge. It's standard size for an NFL QB.

I can't believe you're this high on him. Go watch last week's game. With the way you make snap judgments about QB's you should end up totally against the idea of the Jets drafting him after you see how awful he played.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

is there a really good sack picture on jameis that i can macro with "good thing his name is jammies because he just got put to bed"?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Ehud posted:

He's maybe 6'4" which isn't huge. It's standard size for an NFL QB.

I can't believe you're this high on him. Go watch last week's game. With the way you make snap judgments about QB's you should end up totally against the idea of the Jets drafting him after you see how awful he played.

I did see the game. He was bad but he played better in the second half. I do think he's better than Mariotta, at least in terms of an NFL prospect. I've also seen other games where he played great and UF has NFLers all over that defense. Like everyone else I have no idea how he is off the field. I would hope that the Jets hire a competent President of Football Ops, GM and Coach who are able to do a whole lot more digging than I could possibly do and find out what kind of a guy he really is before they drafted him though.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

is there a really good sack picture on jameis that i can macro with "good thing his name is jammies because he just got put to bed"?

Is this from a Rivals forum or something or do you just have a terrible sense of humor?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

mcmagic posted:

I did see the game. He was bad but he played better in the second half. I do think he's better than Mariotta, at least in terms of an NFL prospect. I've also seen other games where he played great and UF has NFLers all over that defense. Like everyone else I have no idea how he is off the field. I would hope that the Jets hire a competent President of Football Ops, GM and Coach who are able to do a whole lot more digging than I could possibly do and find out what kind of a guy he really is before they drafted him though.

You don't need a competent front office to know how he is off the field. He's a jackass.

And I don't see how you can defend that performance. He was so bad in that game. He had 4 picks and only threw for 125 yards. Like, you are the one person I've seen defend that performance.

I'm not sure why you mentioned Florida having NFL talent on defense other than to bolster my position. He's going to be playing NFL talent every week next year.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Ehud posted:

You don't need a competent front office to know how he is off the field. He's a jackass.

And I don't see how you can defend that performance. He was so bad in that game. He had 4 picks and only threw for 125 yards. Like, you are the one person I've seen defend that performance.

I'm not sure why you mentioned Florida having NFL talent on defense other than to bolster my position. He's going to be playing NFL talent every week next year.

Ben Roethlisburger is also a jackass. There is a difference between a jackass and a bad guy who won't ever get his poo poo together. Not saying I know the answer.

He had a really bad half vs a good D and then came back and won in the second half. That counts for nothing?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
He didn't win. His team did. And Florida would have won if they had anything resembling a decent receiver. They had complete brick hands all game and cost that team an upset win. Every FSU fan I know feels pretty lucky to walk away with that win even though FSU is twice the team UF is.

Winston is going to get blown out in the NFL if he doesn't wise up his decision making. His footwork is still good, he still can read defenses really well, he just makes absolutely atrocious decisions

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

mcmagic posted:

Ben Roethlisburger is also a jackass. There is a difference between a jackass and a bad guy who won't ever get his poo poo together. Not saying I know the answer.

I hope you guys do take Jameis.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

He had a really bad half vs a good D and then came back and won in the second half. That counts for nothing?

So who's your example for a guy who's just a jackass?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

mcmagic posted:

I do think he's better than Mariotta, at least in terms of an NFL prospect.

Mariota has 36 TD and 2 INT this season. Winston has 21 TD and 17 INT. Mariota has also played way better defenses this year.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

This is awesome and exactly what I was thinking while reading his post.

I would absolutely Thrilled if the Jets took Winston. I am a Dolphins fan.

Aside from Florida, I don't see how anyone could watch the Louisville or Miami game and come away thinking Jameis is a can't miss talent.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Eifert Posting posted:

So who's your example for a guy who's just a jackass?

He also left out the part where Jameis is a jackass who isn't even playing well in college and Big Ben is a jackass who is one of the better QB's in the NFL already.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Winston is a career backup at best.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Ehud posted:

He also left out the part where Jameis is a jackass who isn't even playing well in college and Big Ben is a jackass who is one of the better QB's in the NFL already.

The idea that he isn't playing well is silly. You do know he won the heisman as a freshman and has been very good this season other than the UF game right? Even with a bunch of picks he's still a 65% passer.

My point on Ben is that there were justified character issues on him when he was drafted.

I can't believe that this forum that loves Manziel despite him having pretty much no NFL tools is this down on Winston.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I think the JFF fandom is just cause he's going to ____ spectacularly, not because people believe the ___ will be good.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

mcmagic posted:

The idea that he isn't playing well is silly. You do know he won the heisman as a freshman and has been very good this season other than the UF game right? Even with a bunch of picks he's still a 65% passer.

Mariota is a lock for this year's Heisman, is a 69% passer, is more mobile than Winston, has 5 fewer INTs in his 3-year career than Winston has in this season alone, and plays in a much more difficult conference. Not to mention Mariota's biggest offseason problem is people say he's "too nice for the NFL". How does that make Winston a better NFL prospect than Mariota?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

There are quite a few reputable scouts on Twitter like Daniel Jeremiah that prefer Jameis over Mariota. His tools are incredible, his ability to read defense is top notch. I'd be thrilled with either since we literally have no one who can throw a ball.

Also lol at the Dolphins for almost losing to a team who refused to pass.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Mariota has 36 TD and 2 INT this season. Winston has 21 TD and 17 INT. Mariota has also played way better defenses this year.
Geno had a 42 TD 6 INT ratio his senior year. Spread offense stats are meaningless.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Sure RG3 Winston has a ton of picks but he's also a 69.7%65% passer

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

KILL IT BURN IT

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Jameis to the Redskins is too perfect

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Mariota will be good if he goes to a team where he can sit for a year and unfuck his dumb spread-minded brain

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Intruder posted:

Sure RG3 Winston has a ton of picks but he's also a 69.7%65% passer

Run first QB's fail in the NFL. Winston isn't.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Jameis is Jay Cutler at BEST

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

DO YALL WANT A HAM posted:

Jameis to the Redskins is too perfect

Only if they trade three firsts to the Raiders for him

oldgoatmon
Jul 4, 2004

Ohhh Bitch, You Got Jacked Bitch

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

KILL IT BURN IT

I was reading an article on eagles cowboys routs and it reminded me that Ryan Leaf dallas qb was a thing.

It made me all :allears: for a minute

It also reminded me of quicy carter

Carry on collectively arguing with a crazy person, don't mind me

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Jameis is Jay Cutler at BEST

Im still on the side that Jameis has really let me down lately on his pro prospects but still has quite a bit of potential especially over Mariota but will likely flame out... but this is a really poor comparison, though.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Eifert Posting posted:

I think the JFF fandom is just cause he's going to ____ spectacularly, not because people believe the ___ will be good.

I'm a Browns fan, but drat if I wouldn't have still been intrigued to see the guy succeed with a good number of teams if the Browns didn't draft him.

I think it's just the whole "Backyard Football" mentality I've seen out of the guy in college.

I sincerely hope no one ruins it. I want to see the guy be a "Thing" in the NFL for quite some time.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Im still on the side that Jameis has really let me down lately on his pro prospects but still has quite a bit of potential especially over Mariota but will likely flame out...

Yeah this is about where I am on him, also Ben is the for real comp for Winston on on the field isn't he? Which is pretty funny but they also do kind of look like each other (except Jameis isn't just hip tossing 320 lb dudes on the regular I guess).

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Grittybeard posted:

Yeah this is about where I am on him, also Ben is the for real comp for Winston on on the field isn't he? Which is pretty funny but they also do kind of look like each other (except Jameis isn't just hip tossing 320 lb dudes on the regular I guess).

Ben's the real comp for Winston off the field too :v:

My concern with Mariota is how his game will translate to the NFL, he's in an offense that really lends itself to QB success

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Someone mentioned McCarron earlier, which I think is funny because as was also said FSU does lend itself to quarterbacks overachieving, which is why nobody believed McCarron's hype. If anything I think AJ might have done better in Winston's position. That's a QB that was in an offense that was nearly 50/50 in throwing and running, and only threw 3 interceptions his junior year total. If FSU doesn't turn the ball over as much in the first half they're flattening people by another 3-4 touchdowns every game instead of letting them hang in there. Winston is surrounded by guys leagues above their competition and is still making boneheaded decisions left and right that give the other team possession. Being able to keep control of the ball is probably the most basic, important skill you want in a high-level quarterback, and Winston was average last year and terrible this year at it.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Thoughts?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Raku posted:

Someone mentioned McCarron earlier, which I think is funny because as was also said FSU does lend itself to quarterbacks overachieving, which is why nobody believed McCarron's hype. If anything I think AJ might have done better in Winston's position. That's a QB that was in an offense that was nearly 50/50 in throwing and running, and only threw 3 interceptions his junior year total. If FSU doesn't turn the ball over as much in the first half they're flattening people by another 3-4 touchdowns every game instead of letting them hang in there. Winston is surrounded by guys leagues above their competition and is still making boneheaded decisions left and right that give the other team possession. Being able to keep control of the ball is probably the most basic, important skill you want in a high-level quarterback, and Winston was average last year and terrible this year at it.

You do understand that almost the entire receiving corps is new this year and he lost his best/favorite receiver to the draft plus the overall roster is much moreinexperienced than last year? Winston is essentially acting as the bridge between last years experienced/talented team and this years young/talented team. He's still not great with ball security but I definitely think it's been exacerbated by circumstances. Also, :lol: at FSU has overachieving QBs. They don't overachieve at all, loving Manuel was precisely the QB he's always been just with better coaching because Jimbo is great at developing QBs. He can't magically make EJ Manuel stop being an inaccurate moron or make Jameis stop being loose with the ball (although he tries) but he does help them take advantage of their tools.

Jameis is a stupidly talented QB but it won't matter because he's quite possibly the dumbest star athlete off of the field that I've ever seen and I cheer for loving FSU.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

mcmagic posted:

I can't believe that this forum that loves Manziel despite him having pretty much no NFL tools is this down on Winston.

What does this even mean? It's not like I represent the collective consciousness of TFF. I think both of them will be out of the league within a few years.

And Jameis hasn't played well all year except for the Florida game. That's just not true at all. There is a reason FSU has almost lost like 5 times and a lot of it has to do with Jameis.

Also, who cares about winning a Heisman? Manziel won a Heisman, so did Tebow, Troy Smith, Matt Leinart and Chris Weinke. That isn't an indicator of future success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Raku posted:

Wait, who is FSU flattening?

• Locked thread