Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

So Ural cranks are made of pot metal I assume?

It's a soviet motorcycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
It's a BMW.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Splizwarf posted:

It's a BMW.

It's a bmw DESIGN.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Therefore it's a bike built by Russians trying to build a BMW...much like how after World War II the Russians tried to build jets using a reverse-engineered BMW jet engine...with predictable results at first!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Ozmiander posted:

It's a bmw DESIGN.

No, it's a Soviet copy of a BMW design. And Chiangjiang is a Chinese copy of a Soviet copy of a BMW design.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Geirskogul posted:

No, it's a Soviet copy of a BMW design. And Chiangjiang is a Chinese copy of a Soviet copy of a BMW design.

Does that eventually come back around to being awesome? Like the North Korean copy of the Vietnamese copy of the Chinese copy of the Russian copy of a BMW design?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Maybe if the South Koreans re-engineer the NK copy of the Chinese copy of the Russian copy of the German design.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Geirskogul posted:

You're saying exactly what i said. Ural makes a bike with (originally..) war captured tooling.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Uthor posted:

Does that eventually come back around to being awesome? Like the North Korean copy of the Vietnamese copy of the Chinese copy of the Russian copy of a BMW design?

Didn't work so well for the Yugo/Fiat 144

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Uthor posted:

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
I finally got one.

Notice how the face of the rotor is sitting inside of the vents - it's a very thin surface.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Uthor posted:

A good friend has one. It's just awful in every way imaginable. He's half-Chinese, bought it on a family visit, and had it imported.

It's hilariously fun, but simultaneously awful. AI as gently caress. Also, a DP-28 mount for the sidecar should be standard, and isn't.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I was looking at them when I was getting a bike and they looked awesome, but a top speed of like 60mph (7 years ago) just wouldn't fly in the great open plains of the Midwest.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Add a timbo. :clint:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Uthor posted:

I was looking at them when I was getting a bike and they looked awesome, but a top speed of like 60mph (7 years ago) just wouldn't fly in the great open plains of the Midwest.

That friend of mine was going somewhat north of 60MPH when his self-destructed (which isn't to say it's recommended, just possible.) On a different occasion, it was also the most insane experience I've ever had on a barely improved logging trail - like a dirt bike with a sidecar and a death wish.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I used an Ural in Wisconsin winters for years. Best transport ever.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

My stepfather bought a Ural back when they first started popping up back in the mid 90's I think. He's had to rebuild the engine and transmission already plus all of the rubber has disintegrated which is crazy as the bike only has about 1,500km on it but he still loves it.
I rode it once and thought I was going to die mostly because steering a bike like a car is not natural at all for me and my brain was having none of it. The brakes are also about as effective as engine braking.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Future mechanical failure.

Stock WJ rear upper arm:

Hillfolk modified rear upper arm:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Why on earth would you do that? What are they trying to make?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

At least they drew and cut in straight lines. :v:

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

IOwnCalculus posted:

Stock WJ rear upper arm:

InitialDave posted:

Why on earth would you do that? What are they trying to make?

Looks like a :banjo: version of one of these. I'm morbidly curious as to how unsafe the rest of this build is looking thus far. :eyepop:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Cross posted from the scooter thread.

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Lovely. Chunks of piston adhered to the cylinder head with premix. A few gouges were taken out of the head too, but it's hard to see here.

Here are the two chunks of the piston that were broken/gouged away in such a way as to be smeared over the rings and holding them in place.

Some of this blowby was already here when I replaced the rings. I thought it might have just been bad rings causing it. It's way bigger now. But notice no burn marks in between the rings.

The burn marks on the underside of the piston crown mean it got way too hot at least once in its life. Possibly including when it failed.

This is the only side of the cylinder with damage, and it corresponds with the chewed up area around the wrist pin, which was stuck and needed to be hammered out to remove.

Here is what I believe happened: The factory circlips are supposed to be the wire type. A previous owner installed the flat kind with eyelets. Lord knows if they were suited for engine use. It looks like a combination of heat and age (and possibly piston malformation from mileage) caused the circlip to fail. A piece of it was missing. That piece then got knocked around the top end, gouging out part of the cylinder wall and taking pieces of hot piston with it before the engine died. I'm honestly surprised it didn't seize.
I guess it simply dying without seizing would be considered a mechanical success?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Ozmiander posted:

Drive without shocks. That'll cure all the problems.

I dropped it off the axle stands and the thing was STIL bouncing 5 minutes later. Lots of mass in the arse of that truck!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Root Bear posted:

Looks like a :banjo: version of one of these. I'm morbidly curious as to how unsafe the rest of this build is looking thus far. :eyepop:

Err... isn't the point of that aftermarket one to let you dial out pinion angle and axle position issues resulting from a lift? And his hillbilly version isn't adjustable?

For content, this isn't quite a mechanical failure, but anyone who knows vehicle recovery will probably go :gonk: at a few parts of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq6OKvBouBo

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

InitialDave posted:

For content, this isn't quite a mechanical failure, but anyone who knows vehicle recovery will probably go :gonk: at a few parts of it:

Spintires in real life.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Jeherrin posted:

Spintires in real life.
...Except for the ones that don't. :v:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Err... isn't the point of that aftermarket one to let you dial out pinion angle and axle position issues resulting from a lift? And his hillbilly version isn't adjustable?

This is fine, none of the people involved deserve to die of natural causes anyways.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Stock WJ rear upper arm:

If I'm understanding what this is correctly, doesn't that need to allow for twisting at the bushing as well? The aftermarket one appears to be using a Johnny-joint to allow for the axle to move up on one side while dropping down on the other, a common situation off-road. Even a large rod-end would work.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Darchangel posted:

If I'm understanding what this is correctly, doesn't that need to allow for twisting at the bushing as well? The aftermarket one appears to be using a Johnny-joint to allow for the axle to move up on one side while dropping down on the other, a common situation off-road. Even a large rod-end would work.

It's a rubber bushing, it will have some bend, just not as much as a johnny joint.

KingPave
Jul 18, 2007
eeee!~

InitialDave posted:

Is it wrong that I wanted the cable to snap?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Darchangel posted:

Yep, it needs to allow for a decent bit of twisting. A Johhny Joint works fine (as seen in every aftermarket WJ rear upper), a bushing does not (as seen in... no aftermarket WJ uppers).

The factory setup has a balljoint on top of the axle pointing up into the bushing at the center of the A.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I just learned a fun fact: If a 747 main landing gear tire bursts at its operating pressure of 194psi, it releases energy equal to 0.60 sticks of dynamite. However the maximum burst pressure of a 747 tire is 1170 psi and it bursting at that pressure is an energy release of 4.4 sticks of dynamite!

Heres a video of one blowing up but despite all the energy...it isn't that interesting. (This is a 767 not a 747)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_66mlsFwB9I

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Co-worker took his perfectly functioning Tercel in for a check up and opened up pandoras (Sockingtons) box.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Stock WJ rear upper arm:

:wtf:

Yeah whoever did that is a loving moron. They made literally everything worse.

Iron Rock Offroad products are sometimes badly engineered, but even their worst is better than this mess, and their WJ rear upper link appears to be well designed. At least I don't see anything obviously wrong with their setup.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

CarForumPoster posted:

I just learned a fun fact: If a 747 main landing gear tire bursts at its operating pressure of 194psi, it releases energy equal to 0.60 sticks of dynamite. However the maximum burst pressure of a 747 tire is 1170 psi and it bursting at that pressure is an energy release of 4.4 sticks of dynamite!

Heres a video of one blowing up but despite all the energy...it isn't that interesting.

It sure can be, though. Tire debris flying up into the wing and rupturing the fuel tank is what killed the Concorde. And here's a rejected takeoff test of an A340 featuring some spectacularly poor communications between the test director, the aircrew, and the fire crew, in which they're lucky nobody got killed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUMuOyMTQ8Y

Team140
Dec 13, 2005

Found this on my son's car while replacing the front brakes. Total CV failure on a 2001 Volvo V70.

And a bonus video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQI5zE1cAJE

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I guess your son is the people we share a road with AND the PO we hate all rolled into one? ;)

Team140
Dec 13, 2005

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I guess your son is the people we share a road with AND the PO we hate all rolled into one? ;)

Yep. I mean look at that brake dust buildup!

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.

Phanatic posted:

It sure can be, though. Tire debris flying up into the wing and rupturing the fuel tank is what killed the Concorde. And here's a rejected takeoff test of an A340 featuring some spectacularly poor communications between the test director, the aircrew, and the fire crew, in which they're lucky nobody got killed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUMuOyMTQ8Y
That reminds me of this wheel welding test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiLeji8bLOk
Nothing happens for over a minute after stopping the welding, but then the temperature and pressure start to rise exponentially and the tire blows up.

And here's an Airbus A380 brake test on a dynamometer. The dynamometer energy is 125.2 MJ which is equivalent to 30 kilograms of TNT. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1dv_y_3EK0

But why were they doing something similar on a real aircraft in the A340 test? Were they accidentally going faster than planned before braking or was their idea really to set the brakes on fire and blow the tires?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

cyberbug posted:

But why were they doing something similar on a real aircraft in the A340 test? Were they accidentally going faster than planned before braking or was their idea really to set the brakes on fire and blow the tires?

A full up maximum gross weight rejected take-off is part of certification.