Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
We Maya stretched these jokes out too far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Nah, these jokes are amayazing and we need more.

Also, :golfclap: on the Maya-tosis joke.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

skoolmunkee posted:

There's been some weird things that I haven't been able to show, too- either because I wasn't recording at the time or because it would have been too out of place to edit in. Mostly clipping issues, zombies walking through walls and spawning under floors, being stuck on walls and not going into attack mode, etc.

Well I've definitely seen things like that in the game; they were pretty common, even. Zombies sinking slowly into the ground when they're supposed to be attacking a window during a siege happen all the time for me.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Shady Amish Terror posted:

We Maya stretched these jokes out too far.

Shei-kun posted:

Also, :golfclap: on the Maya-tosis joke.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

skoolmunkee posted:

Some of the tension in the game is about messing up though, and how characters perma-die, and when you run out of resources and how goofing off in this sandbox game gets you in trouble. Gotta show some of that! I haven't played that badly, no missions failed or critical community deaths. I won't endanger my ability to beat the game. Plus maybe I've taught watchers a thing or two so they'll play the game well themselves! It's a teaching LP.

Nah mostly I just thought it might get boring if everything was done right all the time "and then nothing interesting happened"

Don't worry though, breakdown is all about being as good as you can and lasting as long as you can and performing all kinds of tasks to unlock things. And lifeline is punishing to careless players. Over Christmas I was gonna do some DLC recording.

No, I understand the point of making some mistakes, but going full in 'I'm not going to do any missions, and I'm going to kick anyone out who complains' seems a bit less 'making mistakes to add tension' and more 'playing in the dumbest manner possible'. I don't see the point of it, unless you just want to cycle out all your leveled survivors so you can go get brand new ones we don't know yet?

It just doesn't seem like it will be that interesting to me, but if other people think it would be then go for it.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

KittyEmpress posted:

No, I understand the point of making some mistakes, but going full in 'I'm not going to do any missions, and I'm going to kick anyone out who complains' seems a bit less 'making mistakes to add tension' and more 'playing in the dumbest manner possible'. I don't see the point of it, unless you just want to cycle out all your leveled survivors so you can go get brand new ones we don't know yet?

It just doesn't seem like it will be that interesting to me, but if other people think it would be then go for it.

Oh I see!

Honestly we've only leveled up three and a half survivors at this point, I should take some other folks out sometimes.

Feel free to disagree with me or convince me otherwise, but mainly I 'decided' to not do many more helper missions is because they never end. There's always at least 2 of them sitting around waiting to be done, and most of them are uneventful. Our survivors are in a strong place now and it's unlikely they'll get themselves in trouble. Those missions are actually a pretty compelling reason to have longer play sessions- you always have this kind of feeling of urgency or at least of work to be done. However if you spend too long avoiding the story missions, you exhaust the map and you run out of resources. We're in the last third of the game, so we're not in much danger of that, but I just need to make sure I'm not draggin my feet.

Really the approach I was going to take was convenience and opportunity. If a helper mission looked like it was going to be annoying (like having to drive really far) I probably wouldn't do it. I mainly announced it in the 'no softies' way because I thought it would be more funny. :v:

skoolmunkee fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Nov 19, 2014

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

I can't make them all super funny but I SURE CAN TRY

Godspeed, Frank Johnson and Wyatt Meiss. You may have lost your lives to the Trumbull Valley Mystery Spot, but we will always think of you when we think of those other two guys we picked up in your place.

skoolmunkee fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 22, 2014

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

I'm sure everyone at the Grange was a lot safer with a horde than with the Stooges shooting holes in everything but zombies. This episode has everything! SWAT Team action! Dance battles! Caballos!

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Nice to hear I'm actually not the only one sick of the "humans are the real monsters" trope in zombie/post-apocalyptic fiction. I'd started to wonder...

Also skoolmunkee, I think your game really is haunted (by those freaky Silent Hill 4 ghosts, I guess). :iit: I have never seen so much weird random stuff happen in this game. (And it's great.)

I think you did it. This episode is super funny.

Nuckelavee
Feb 25, 2014
So uh, Skippy kind of turned into the Count towards the end there. Six! Six Caballos!

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe
I fully expected to hear the sound of a microphone being knocked off the desk, stamping feet and then a slamming door as the Caballos piled up.

Also please don't punch me in the mouth, Skippy.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Thank you, skoolmunkee, I haven't laughed that hard in months.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Nuckelavee posted:

So uh, Skippy kind of turned into the Count towards the end there. Six! Six Caballos!

It was one of those things where it's like "Skoobean there's no way you can fit that many marshmallows into your mouth at once" and then next thing you know you're vomiting behind a dumpster, your faith in God and Man crushed to ashes.

Hotwire posted:

I fully expected to hear the sound of a microphone being knocked off the desk, stamping feet and then a slamming door as the Caballos piled up.

Also please don't punch me in the mouth, Skippy.

Oh heck I can't stay mad at you, buddy! Disappointed, sure. But not mad.

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe
Look man when you get a steam message out of the blue saying 'Hey can you do me a favour' and then realising that favour is entirely to make a joke at your expense you try saying no.

Also, I had Becca dissapear in my game recently. No sign of her whatsoever. It's spreading.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!

skoolmunkee posted:

Godspeed, Frank Johnson and Wyatt Meiss. You may have lost your lives to the Trumbull Valley Mystery Spot, but we will always think of you when we think of those other two guys we picked up in your place.

You realize when you messed around with the save file, you created a parallel timeline, right? That could undermine the structural integrity of the whole space-time continuum!

Here, look, I'll explain what happens when you split time and space. Um... hey Maya, come here for a second, I need a visual aid...

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
I've said it before, but Skool, you've got an evil, evil laugh.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
Games > Nofriendo Entertainment System > Six Caballos In The Courthouse: Let's Play State of Decay

Keep up the good work Skool and Skippy, I can't think of a better way to do a SoD LP.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Oh my god I lost it there at the end.

First we had the freestyling zombie, and then...

Pure loving magic.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

I am glad I am able to accurately bring to you the same fun watching the game as I have playing the game.

My laugh isn't evil, it's just... Strongly... Interested.

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

This game is on sale on Steam for $4.99 and the DLCs are $1.74 each. If you think you're tough enough to fit 7(!!) Caballos in your courthouse now's your chance to prove it.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
You know, Skoolmunkee did fantastic work getting 7 Caballos in the court house, but I feel like she didn't really optimize her spacing.

Anyone want to try for 9?

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

AltaBrown posted:

You know, Skoolmunkee did fantastic work getting 7 Caballos in the court house, but I feel like she didn't really optimize her spacing.

Yo first person to post a video in this thread breaking Skoobean's Caballo record will win a forum upgrade of their choice.

edit: After conferring with our lovely host, this may even include a badass hand drawn forum avatar!

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

AltaBrown posted:

Heck I only fit 6, #7 blew up.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So, just curious, when do those Caballos get cleared out of the courthouse? Ever?

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Never! They'll be there till I move em or explode em.

FYI it appears I took a week off from updating, got a lil too tired and run down by work. I'll have a new one this weekend though.

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe

AltaBrown posted:

Pfft, Optimisation?

Who needs THAT?

Hotwire fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Dec 2, 2014

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Get this man an award.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
That was beautiful. Also possibly the first time I've heard the original version of that song (rather than this version).

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Punchy, you beautiful, beautiful man. I was doubtful at the start, with the smoking cars and the failed attempts at ramping the barrier, but I should have known better. Amazing :3: Is that all the caballos on the map? You might have won this one. So proud of you!

I don't think I've ever heard that Count song but it seemed a little wrong... Counting himself, going faster and faster?!?

MoadDib
Apr 4, 2009

skoolmunkee posted:

I don't think I've ever heard that Count song but it seemed a little wrong... Counting himself, going faster and faster?!?

That's why most people know the Censored Version.

And now, because my brain got stuck on awesome things from my childhood, Manah Manah

MoadDib fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 3, 2014

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe

skoolmunkee posted:

Punchy, you beautiful, beautiful man. I was doubtful at the start, with the smoking cars and the failed attempts at ramping the barrier, but I should have known better. Amazing :3: Is that all the caballos on the map? You might have won this one. So proud of you!

That is ALL the Caballos I could find, yup. I drove off to find another one but then the courthouse exploded as I was driving away.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Hotwire posted:

That is ALL the Caballos I could find, yup. I drove off to find another one but then the courthouse exploded as I was driving away.
Please tell me that bit was recorded as well. That just sounds too magical not to witness.

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe

Shei-kun posted:

Please tell me that bit was recorded as well. That just sounds too magical not to witness.

I wish it was. I was around the corner in a pizza delivery car and just heard a very faint *boomboomboomboomboomboom*

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
That's three booms unaccounted for! :ohdear:

Edit: drat, that's not what those words mean, isn't it? I thought I almost had a pun going.

supermikhail fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 3, 2014

countzio
Jan 30, 2014

I wasn't planning on posting this to the thread (don't ask why) but people were like "post it" and I was like "Meeehhhhh, fine"

No music though, only botching.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Yeah, I can't see why you wouldn't want to post that; that was great.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:

Hotwire posted:

Pfft, Optimisation?

Who needs THAT?

You, madam or sir, are a true hero!

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

countzio posted:

I wasn't planning on posting this to the thread (don't ask why) but people were like "post it" and I was like "Meeehhhhh, fine"

Just for the record this is absolutely how I expected my little experiment to go, because that is how this game does.

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe

countzio posted:

This, minus copious amounts of fire, was how two of my attempts went, including pizza-car unseating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Hi I haven't forgotten about you guys, work has just been real demanding he last couple weeks. When I get home I drink orange juice and go to bed. The next update is halfway finished and I'm gonna do my best to have it out before Monday!

Meanwhile, I would like you guys to contribute again! Please send me a short audio file (up to 2 minutes) recounting something from the zombie apocalypse. What was the worst part for you? Did you see something amazing? Any lessons learned? Did it change you? The grossest thing you had to eat? Where did you poop? How many zombie movie cliches did you experience?

Also I am kinda hoping for humorous stuff, as obvs I'm gonna put these into an update/s, but it's up to you. :3: and if you have an idea but can't record then I bet someone would record it for you! Please send them to skoolmunkee at gmail or pm me a link

• Locked thread