Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I have a speaker at work and play Just a Friend pretty regularly and sometimes get some people attempting to sing along who then immediately realize they don't know the words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Light Gun Man posted:

I have a speaker at work and play Just a Friend pretty regularly and sometimes get some people attempting to sing along who then immediately realize they don't know the words.

Fuckers are ruining Biz Markie.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
So, I will soon have my hands on a PS4 so I'll be able to play SPECTACULAR NEW (not for PC) GRAPHICS version of SR4. Again. ANd Gat out of Hell.

And I was wondering if there was some way, maybe, there'd be way to port saves from pre-gen console versions to the new one. And maybe creations. I'd just like to have one creation pool. :allears:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Doesn't SR4 have that feature where you can up/download your boss to a site? Don't know if it carries storyline progress though.

IdolNinja
Mar 7, 2011

It's our time now!
Let's get this shit started!

Zaa Boogie posted:

So, I will soon have my hands on a PS4 so I'll be able to play SPECTACULAR NEW (not for PC) GRAPHICS version of SR4. Again. ANd Gat out of Hell.

And I was wondering if there was some way, maybe, there'd be way to port saves from pre-gen console versions to the new one. And maybe creations. I'd just like to have one creation pool. :allears:

Saves are platform specific. There is no way to port a save from one console to another. The character upload/download feature is all platform specific. Characters created on one console can't be downloaded by another through the website.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

IdolNinja posted:

The character upload/download feature is all platform specific. Characters created on one console can't be downloaded by another through the website.

Why is that? It seems like a totally arbitrary restriction.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Tiggum posted:

Why is that? It seems like a totally arbitrary restriction.

Think of each console ("platform") as its own language and you're close to how weird it is in reality. The console manufacturers change everything about interfacing with their servers for every generation. Part of the reason is for security, part is because standards and goals change over time, and part is because you'll have to buy new things if they don't let you use the old things.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
E: On the ^^ So I don't sound like a dick, I can't stress enough there I'm totally okay with them being separate, I was just pointing out the reasoning described makes no sense, rather than actually wanting the capability. I didn't mean this post to sound as aggressive as it might otherwise be interpreted.

It's like... it's like the basic principles of an API / abstraction layer is beyond people. :psyduck:

Don't get me wrong, there's no problem to my mind making them platform specific, but it's not because of a technical limitation, it's because it's just not worth the effort to do so. You'd spend effort and money creating a capability that would be used by a tiny proportion of your user base who wouldn't have any use for it beyond 'well, this is nice, I suppose' and wouldn't generate any value (or more importantly, revenue) either.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Dec 2, 2014

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Shockeh posted:

E: On the ^^ So I don't sound like a dick, I can't stress enough there I'm totally okay with them being separate, I was just pointing out the reasoning described makes no sense, rather than actually wanting the capability. I didn't mean this post to sound as aggressive as it might otherwise be interpreted.

It's like... it's like the basic principles of an API / abstraction layer is beyond people. :psyduck:

Don't get me wrong, there's no problem to my mind making them platform specific, but it's not because of a technical limitation, it's because it's just not worth the effort to do so. You'd spend effort and money creating a capability that would be used by a tiny proportion of your user base who wouldn't have any use for it beyond 'well, this is nice, I suppose' and wouldn't generate any value (or more importantly, revenue) either.

Show me that sweet API that allows you to magically port from one console platform to another. I'm pretty sure even IOS/Android doesn't have that.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Tezzeract posted:

Show me that sweet API that allows you to magically port from one console platform to another. I'm pretty sure even IOS/Android doesn't have that.

Okay, once again - I do not want this. I'm not asking for it. I just want this to be totally transparent throughout, this is purely hypothetical!

There isn't one; But you clearly need to have an interface (read, a separate API) to each to enable the upload/download of data, so now you have one set of data volumes that encompass all characters across all platforms. By definition at that point, it's then POSSIBLE to strip the Platform specific components (Attached XBL Account, whatever), and drop that character onto the volume for the PS3/PS4 one, which can then be uploaded as normal. You're functioning as the abstraction layer that allows it to be achieved.

The point I'm making, and I'll continue to stress is that it's certainly possible - If I were in the position myself, it still wouldn't happen, because as I stated in the first post it costs a lot in resource to achieve for something that isn't going to get used in 99.99% of cases.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Tricky Ed posted:

Think of each console ("platform") as its own language and you're close to how weird it is in reality. The console manufacturers change everything about interfacing with their servers for every generation. Part of the reason is for security, part is because standards and goals change over time, and part is because you'll have to buy new things if they don't let you use the old things.

Surely a character is just the values of the various sliders and the IDs of the clothing items/tattoos/hair? How is it at all difficult to get that from one platform to the other?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Porting a game from one console to another is difficult, like what Tricky Ed described, but porting one Saint's Row character to another isn't. Each copy of the Saint's Row games interprets character data in more or less the same way, it's basically a list describing the positions of sliders, eye color, hair color, etc., along with what the character is wearing. In other words, no matter what version of Saint's Row we're talking, character data looks sort of like this:

code:
Name: Bob Smith
Skin Color: Caucasian 1
Eye Color: Brown 4
Hair Color: Brown 7
Hair Style: Hair5_male
Eye Distance: .654
Eye Size: .887
Mouth Size: .445
Upper Lip Curvature: .223456
...Which the game code looks at, says "Oh okay, that's Bob Smith and his eyes look like this" and turns it into a model for the graphics engine to display which ends up on your monitor. There's no reason a character from a PS3 Saint's Row game should be any different in structure from, say, a 360 Saint's Row game.

(Keep in mind I'm referring to Saint's Row 3/4 when I'm talking about this, if we start talking about SR1/SR2 it's out the window)

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I didn't spot anything in the OP, so here comes question time!

I just grabbed Game of the Century off of Steam, and I was wondering if there are any must-have mods along the lines of Gentlemen of the Row that I should be hunting down.

I've already played through the main game on consoles, so I'm not that worried about cracking the game wide open for laughs.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

deadly_pudding posted:

I didn't spot anything in the OP, so here comes question time!

I just grabbed Game of the Century off of Steam, and I was wondering if there are any must-have mods along the lines of Gentlemen of the Row that I should be hunting down.

I've already played through the main game on consoles, so I'm not that worried about cracking the game wide open for laughs.

I used this one on my last run

http://www.saintsrowmods.com/forum/threads/npc-behaviour-and-spawn-mod.5234/

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

IdolNinja posted:

Saves are platform specific. There is no way to port a save from one console to another. The character upload/download feature is all platform specific. Characters created on one console can't be downloaded by another through the website.

Nooooooooooooooooooooookay. :smith:

I was hoping for the long shot of there being a save porting option like some other cross-gen remakes are doing but I guess I just have
to play it all over again!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

XBL sale today: SRIV 70% off, Season Pass 50% off. You now officially have no excuse.

I'm assuming the season pass will not include Gat out of Hell :(

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Tiggum posted:

Surely a character is just the values of the various sliders and the IDs of the clothing items/tattoos/hair? How is it at all difficult to get that from one platform to the other?

Segmentation Fault posted:

Porting a game from one console to another is difficult, like what Tricky Ed described, but porting one Saint's Row character to another isn't.

These slider values mean something totally different when interpreted by different video hardware/software. A non-trivial problem every time you talk about the port is smoothing over these quirks so you have a uniform experience. This is why PS3 and 360 could have totally different framerate profiles even though, especially later in their development life cycle, their theoretical benchmarks ended up being roughly the same.

You could, of course, create a translation API with a substantial amount of effort and coding, most of which would be very frustrating trial and error - which basically no programmer wants to work on for more than a few days. It's about as enjoyable as putting your nuts in a vice. It would also be very difficult to test because the number of permutations that are possible go pretty quickly to infinity, so getting even a reasonable amount of coverage would be difficult. So the judgement call was made, apparently, to not burn expensive programmer time and invaluable (as in, there is no way to put a value on it) programmer job satisfaction making something that a relative minority of people were going to use.

What I'm saying is I don't work for Volition but this restriction seems neither arbitrary nor cheap. It seems like a good evaluation of cost vs benefit.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 2, 2014

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
its just 1s and 0s man, how hard could it be?

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Coolguye posted:

These slider values mean something totally different when interpreted by different video hardware/software. A non-trivial problem every time you talk about the port is smoothing over these quirks so you have a uniform experience. This is why PS3 and 360 could have totally different framerate profiles even though, especially later in their development life cycle, their theoretical benchmarks ended up being roughly the same.

You could, of course, create a translation API with a substantial amount of effort and coding, most of which would be very frustrating trial and error - which basically no programmer wants to work on for more than a few days. It's about as enjoyable as putting your nuts in a vice. It would also be very difficult to test because the number of permutations that are possible go pretty quickly to infinity, so getting even a reasonable amount of coverage would be difficult. So the judgement call was made, apparently, to not burn expensive programmer time and invaluable (as in, there is no way to put a value on it) programmer job satisfaction making something that a relative minority of people were going to use.

What I'm saying is I don't work for Volition but this restriction seems neither arbitrary nor cheap. It seems like a good evaluation of cost vs benefit.

You could literally write down every slider value on paper and then copy it onto the other console.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

circ dick soleil posted:

You could literally write down every slider value on paper and then copy it onto the other console.

That's more an external thing though. Having the character file read from the database would involve decrypting the data and reading it using the system's function calls, which are probably different from system to system. I mean, sure, they could just upload the files as plaintext and re-download them as such, but that leaves room for security vulnerabilities that are probably more hassle than they're worth.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
We can only ever really guess about the platform stuff for avatar downloads, but unless somebody really dropped the ball in software design, I can pretty much promise that the platforms are kept separate in order to appease the platform holders themselves.

There's a reason you can't play Call of Duty on a mixed server of XBONE, PS4, and PC users, and it's because platform holders don't want to make it easy to switch platforms. If the majority of the Call of Duty community operates on the XBone servers, you can imagine there exists a decent chunk of the consumer market that cannot switch to PS4 or PC without making a sacrifice in the form of a friends list and/or clan. This benefits the platform because it is one way to retain a customer who may have otherwise switched brands.

It's dumb to lock user-generated content behind that sort of service barrier, of course, but it's also really easy for some guy on Skype with Volition to point at a giant stack of paper and say, "Sorry brah, it says here in the developer terms for certification that your product can't interact with platforms other than this one."

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

deadly_pudding posted:

We can only ever really guess about the platform stuff for avatar downloads, but unless somebody really dropped the ball in software design, I can pretty much promise that the platforms are kept separate in order to appease the platform holders themselves.

There's a reason you can't play Call of Duty on a mixed server of XBONE, PS4, and PC users, and it's because platform holders don't want to make it easy to switch platforms. If the majority of the Call of Duty community operates on the XBone servers, you can imagine there exists a decent chunk of the consumer market that cannot switch to PS4 or PC without making a sacrifice in the form of a friends list and/or clan. This benefits the platform because it is one way to retain a customer who may have otherwise switched brands.

It's dumb to lock user-generated content behind that sort of service barrier, of course, but it's also really easy for some guy on Skype with Volition to point at a giant stack of paper and say, "Sorry brah, it says here in the developer terms for certification that your product can't interact with platforms other than this one."

Yeah that makes a lot more sense.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

ChaosArgate posted:

That's more an external thing though. Having the character file read from the database would involve decrypting the data and reading it using the system's function calls, which are probably different from system to system. I mean, sure, they could just upload the files as plaintext and re-download them as such, but that leaves room for security vulnerabilities that are probably more hassle than they're worth.
While all of these reasons people are throwing out are certainly possible, none of us know how things are stored under the hood, so there's no point guessing at convoluted explanations for a well-designed program being unable to export "Bob Smith, man with pigtails, completed 40% of the game" from a Web site that already receives those files and knows exactly what all of that means, complete with stats on how many people you shot or how many cars you drove.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

New trailer for Gat Out of Hell dropped today.

It's....different.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/12/03/saints-row-gat-out-of-hell-musical-trailer

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

Crappy Jack posted:

It's....different.

Does this mean the whole game is actually a musical? Because that's literally the best news I could ever imagine.

Also, why does Kinzie not get a bitchin' swole demon arm that's all burned and scarred? Her's looks like someone just drew on her arm with a pink gel pen.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Ahahah I love Travis Willingham as Satan :allears:

E: Also :lol at all the whinny comments, "What have they done to my Saints Row!!! :qq:"

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 3, 2014

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Crappy Jack posted:

It's....different.

:allears: Holy poo poo that's amazing.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

Oh my god.

Oh my loving god. :stare:

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Crappy Jack posted:

It's....different.

:stare: Holy poo poo

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Johnny Gat, cat savior.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
If they go full musical with the cutscenes they should have Meat Loaf in it, I don't care if he's not dead make him a homie

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Doomsayer posted:

Also, why does Kinzie not get a bitchin' swole demon arm that's all burned and scarred? Her's looks like someone just drew on her arm with a pink gel pen.

I don't think Gat's demon arm is any more swole than usual, actually. Dude's pretty well-built.

And the reason they look different is as likely as not a candidate for the OSHA thread.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
:allears:

I love this franchise.

Sing-a-longs are the best. Reminded me of South Parks UP there with Satan.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Doomsayer posted:

Does this mean the whole game is actually a musical? Because that's literally the best news I could ever imagine.

If that isn't at least an actual cutscene in the game it certainly seems like a hell of a lot of effort to go through for a single trailer.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

omgomgomg :aaaaa:

The only way this can be better is if the entire thing really *is* a musical. :allears:

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
Just sayin if you guys really like the Genki Mobile now you can own your very own!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161506277416

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

Crappy Jack posted:

It's....different.

:allears: That was beautiful.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
absolutely magical.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Oh my god Satan's daughter is a Disney princess pastiche.

I think I already like this more than SRIV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Well, back in the day they didn't cast Daniel Dae Kim for his singing ability.

poo poo is still awesome, though.

• Locked thread