Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

projecthalaxy posted:

Murdering dudes is rad and should be your first resort in all situation. It's not like the team had not beaten, stabbed, and burned hundreds of humanoids including their own clones by that point. They are super used to it.

Those aren't people, just the physical manifestation of the suppressed side of humanity. It's totally different, they exist to be stabbed so stabbed the will be :colbert:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

used a girl's death as a convenience for his own boredom.

I don't know if that's the case because I think in many of the cases the game doesn't really support the entirety of the Shadow's argument. Like his rank 8 is basically him grieving for Saki with the whole "she's dead and gone and i'm left behind" stuff. Still a pretty self-centered view on the whole thing but it's not like he only cared about it so as to alleviate his boredom. Everything else is pretty much spot on though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm exaggerating my argument a bit to match the one I was responding to, but yeah I don't really believe Yosuke's Shadow was being 100% on the nose about Yosuke using the girl he liked as a stepping stool for his own entertainment. Yosuke is not a bad person, he went out of his way to give Teddie a home, a job, and basically made him a part of his own family. When Arena happened and stagnation began setting in his brain, he sought out answers to try and understand himself better and looked to not regress to the pessimistic person he once was. He is actively supportive of his friends even when he's making tactless jokes and doing stupid things. The key thing some people forget about Yosuke is the dude's just dumb and lets his emotions drive him, which leads him to getting into silly situations he could've avoided if he thought it through better, but chances are him doing that would also have not lead them to pursuing the murders.

Yosuke is a cool and likeable dude with a lot of shortcomings, which is part of what makes me like him and despite the fact I bring up the murder, I don't actually hold it against him.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Beef Waifu posted:

Yosuke is a cool and likeable dude with a lot of shortcomings, which is part of what makes me like him and despite the fact I bring up the murder, I don't actually hold it against him.

Especially since it was Everyone's Favorite Detective who actually first suggested committing murder. All Yosuke says at first is "We can't let him get away with this!" and Naoto literally steps up to the TV and says "My, what a large TV. Shame if someone got pushed inside. If that happened, he'd never escape..." while tipping her fedora knowingly.

Nor does he really push anyone into doing it. Kanji is all for it as soon as Naoto suggests it. Yukiko has no opinion until you chime in one way or the other. Rise waffles and sputters, but Chie is the only one who says "This is crazy, what are you doing".

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Vengarr posted:

Especially since it was Everyone's Favorite Detective who actually first suggested committing murder. All Yosuke says at first is "We can't let him get away with this!" and Naoto literally steps up to the TV and says "My, what a large TV. Shame if someone got pushed inside. If that happened, he'd never escape..." while tipping her fedora knowingly.

Nor does he really push anyone into doing it. Kanji is all for it as soon as Naoto suggests it. Yukiko has no opinion until you chime in one way or the other. Rise waffles and sputters, but Chie is the only one who says "This is crazy, what are you doing".

I really like that scene because it shows that they can be shitheads. Naoto's so hosed up.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I like Rise and Yukiko but half the time in group scenes I feel like their reactions might as well be fused together.

Well it's really more like Yukiko's lines are barely hers; aside from the Port Island trip and anything to do with her inn, you could probably give half her lines to another member of the team and it wouldn't make much difference.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Naoto is the best persona character because it's the closest representation to the actual best SMT character (They both have the BEST taste in hats and are pretty cool people), Raidou Kuzunoha. Hopefully we get cameos from him and his feline sidekick in later SMT games.

Yukiko is the worst persona character because she doesn't have a personality beyond "Let's laugh at chie" and "I am going to inherit the amagi inn!!!!"

Also, I have played every persona and EO game and my mind is struggling if it is one or the other, but after being doomed to having no money and farming to stay alive, I am confident that it is more a etrian odyssey game than a persona game. (Though, I AM playing on risky)

Those are my opinions, for better or for worse.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Naoto does not have a fedora, how dare you.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Light Gun Man posted:

Remake Persona 1 in the style of 3/4, I'd play it and totally max out Yukino's social link immediately. Reminder: Mara was a boss.

I like your style, friend. Yukino is a real babe.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

ApplesandOranges posted:

I like Rise and Yukiko but half the time in group scenes I feel like their reactions might as well be fused together.

Well it's really more like Yukiko's lines are barely hers; aside from the Port Island trip and anything to do with her inn, you could probably give half her lines to another member of the team and it wouldn't make much difference.

PQ is giving Yukiko a lot of good lines and behaviors, though. She's a lot like Yu from the anime, only without the stonefaced aspect, and you can't really tell when she's joking or being sincere. The difference between her and Chie in the haunted house area of that game really give them a lot of distinction from each in terms of characterization.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Is there any likable character in SMT IV? I think I hate all of them.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

Beef Waifu posted:

Naoto does not have a fedora, how dare you.

She will when she cameos in p5.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
does the psp version of persona available on psn make it any more playable? i'm really wanting to play p1 as a grown rear end man but even as a kid i felt like that game was rough around the edges

also, waiting for IS to go on sale so i can play it and EP on my vita

Golden Goat posted:

i really like walter and isabeau but its to be understood that johnathan is a poo poo lord because any association with law turns you into a puss filled assbag

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

hubris.height posted:

i really like walter and isabeau but its to be understood that johnathan is a poo poo lord because any association with law turns you into a puss filled assbag

I liked Walter up until he just agrees to open a portal to the demon world because he hates the status quo. I've solely sided with him because Johnathan's being a shitbag.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

hubris.height posted:

does the psp version of persona available on psn make it any more playable? i'm really wanting to play p1 as a grown rear end man but even as a kid i felt like that game was rough around the edges

Nope. It's still awful. Don't play it. It might actually be worse than the PS1 version because of the terrible soul-grating music.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I didn't think the PSP version had a bad soundtrack. Not as good as the PSX version, but not bad. I quite like the boss theme. At the very least they kept Child Abuse.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

hubris.height posted:

Counterpoint: Hikawa. And Keisuke, if you count him as a Law-type.

laplace posted:

Nope. It's still awful. Don't play it. It might actually be worse than the PS1 version because of the terrible soul-grating music.

I thought the "post bad opinions" contest ended a while ago??

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Neeksy posted:

P2:EP handled this idea of conflict and chaos a lot better, I think. They still found ways to work together, but Katsuya and Baofu were never BBFs, etc. Hell, even Maya and Ulala had some darkness going on underneath their friendship.

Yeah but you can say "P2 handled this better" about literally every bit of characterization in P3/4.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Butt Ghost posted:

At the very least they kept Child Abuse.

i will see this etched into your tombstone, butt ghost

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

I would rather listen to the Yoshi's story theme on endless repeat than ever hear A Lone Prayer again. That song is a musical abortion.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

laplace posted:

I would rather listen to the Yoshi's story theme on endless repeat than ever hear A Lone Prayer again. That song is a musical abortion.
Both the Yoshi's story theme and A Lone Prayer are awesome.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

laplace posted:

i didnt even know it was possible to be this wrong

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
just dance, wanna put you in a traaance

everybody move your body, make sure you don't hurt nobooody, i said hey, hey, hey

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

First Naoto wins Best Girl, now this.

All of you are dead to me.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Lisa is the best persona girl, and her past is nobody's business

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i just listened to lone prayer and trip report: its not bad, i really like that engrish its so good

on the topic of engrish, im pretty sure that lotus juice is probably the best thing to happen to the persona branch of megaten

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i wish that was the one where she kicks a tank into orbit

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Terper posted:

And your opinion is that they're the ones with issues?

I got all my girlfriends consentually by talking to them and being cool. :colbert:

Yosuke and Teddie are all manufacturing anime trope situations where they can feel a titty or whatever. Come on now, sneaking into the goddamn hotel room? They got problems. Although Teddie probably doesn't know any better and lives with Yosuke so it's probably his fault there too.

The_Frag_Man posted:

I like your style, friend. Yukino is a real babe.

I liked her because she was the "delinquent" (well, former) but was like the most responsible person in the game. That and she kicked rear end, of course.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Golden Goat posted:

YOU HATE BURROUGHS?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Excels posted:

Lisa is the best persona girl, and her past is nobody's business

I was gonna say Ulala but Lisa is cool.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

changing seasons

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Light Gun Man posted:

I got all my girlfriends consentually by talking to them and being cool. :colbert:

I'm sure they were real cool about you spending Valentine's Day with your favorite though.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Light Gun Man posted:

Yosuke and Teddie are all manufacturing anime trope situations where they can feel a titty or whatever. Come on now, sneaking into the goddamn hotel room? They got problems. Although Teddie probably doesn't know any better and lives with Yosuke so it's probably his fault there too.

You seem real mad about children getting up to childish hijinks

Perhaps you should let them know to stay off your lawn? Give em a whack with the ol' walnut cane, that'll learn em

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Best girl is the horny old teacher that all the boys pretend is disgusting for some reason

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Best girl is the horny old teacher that all the boys pretend is disgusting for some reason

Pedophilia

Hebearphilia

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Vengarr posted:

Pedophilia

Hebearphilia

Ephebophilia.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

PureRok posted:

Ephebophilia.

The point is that they're too young to grow a bear-d.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

Navarre owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Here's my bad SMT opinion, SMTIV is one my favorite SMT games and ranks high with Raidou 2 and both DDS'.