Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

You'd have to ask the Sauds; last I checked, they don't give a poo poo about I/P issues.

Totally not what I said or asked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

CommieGIR posted:

Totally not what I said or asked.

You asked for updates on Israeli-Iranian affairs, and I directed you to examine developments in Pakistan to best understand the implications of the ongoing negotiations for policymakers of Mideast nations.

Unless you're asking about something else? I don't quite get what you want me to say. "Because Israel hasn't nuked Iran, you're an idiot"? Personally, I'd really prefer that Netanyahu doesn't recognize the American Congress is debating this as an official policy stance.

In case you haven't heard, individuals like Michelle Bachman are the moderates in Congress on Israeli issues, and they're on the way out once the next session begins.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
When are people going to elarn not to answer My Imaginary GF? I'm half-convinced at this point he'S an internet bot. He'd most likely fail the Turing test. He certainly fails the Voight-Kampf test.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

When are people going to elarn not to answer My Imaginary GF? I'm half-convinced at this point he'S an internet bot. He'd most likely fail the Turing test. He certainly fails the Voight-Kampf test.

there will be a peace deal in palestine before people learn this

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
So are there any suspects yet in the Firebombing of the school?

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

My Imaginary GF posted:

You asked for updates on Israeli-Iranian affairs, and I directed you to examine developments in Pakistan to best understand the implications of the ongoing negotiations for policymakers of Mideast nations.

Unless you're asking about something else? I don't quite get what you want me to say. "Because Israel hasn't nuked Iran, you're an idiot"? Personally, I'd really prefer that Netanyahu doesn't recognize the American Congress is debating this as an official policy stance.

In case you haven't heard, individuals like Michelle Bachman are the moderates in Congress on Israeli issues, and they're on the way out once the next session begins.

You’re in a desert walking along in the sand when all of the sudden you look down and you see a tortoise. It’s crawling toward you. You reach down, you flip the tortoise over on it's back. The tortoise lays on it's back, it's belly baking in the hot sun, beating it's legs trying to turn itself over. But it can’t, not without your help. But you’re not helping. Why is that?

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
Who can guarantee that the turtle doesn't have a suicide bomb in its shell?

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

My Imaginary GF posted:

That's part of ignoring them. They want to go through your territorial waters? You ignore their excuses and ensure your national integrity is maintained, by force when necessary.

So you are critical of what they did?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

team overhead smash posted:

You’re in a desert walking along in the sand when all of the sudden you look down and you see a tortoise. It’s crawling toward you. You reach down, you flip the tortoise over on it's back. The tortoise lays on it's back, it's belly baking in the hot sun, beating it's legs trying to turn itself over. But it can’t, not without your help. But you’re not helping. Why is that?

The turtle has not recognized my right to exist on my terms and I therefore perceive risk of being bitten by said turtle. In addition, operation 'Changing Direction' has concluded with no future plans for similar implementation in foreseeable future.

eSports Chaebol posted:

So you are critical of what they did?

A rabbi in Palestinian territory molests several Israeli children before fleeing to Zimbabwe. The rabbi is in Amsterdam for a bris, and Israel requests his extradiction. Does Israel have jurisdiction to prosecute said rabbi or request extradiction, even if Palestinian attache in Amsterdam indicates Palestinian view of violation of sovreignty if Amsterdam were to proceed with extradiction?

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Dec 2, 2014

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

MonsieurChoc posted:

You called it. Don't even need to ask the rest of the questions.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

The turtle has not recognized my right to exist on my terms and I therefore perceive risk of being bitten by said turtle. In addition, operation 'Changing Direction' has concluded with no future plans for similar implementation in foreseeable future.

Oh shut the gently caress up.

When the 'right to exist' involves directly annexing and bulldozing homes on already claimed land, you don't get to play the moral superiority card.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

My Imaginary GF posted:

A rabbi in Palestinian territory molests several Israeli children before fleeing to Zimbabwe. The rabbi is in Amsterdam for a bris, and Israel requests his extradiction. Does Israel have jurisdiction to prosecute said rabbi or request extradiction, even if Palestinian attache in Amsterdam indicates Palestinian view of violation of sovreignty if Amsterdam were to proceed with extradiction?

Well, as the crime was not committed in Israeli jurisdiction, Israel would have no grounds to charge him for his deeds there, as Israeli civilian law does not apply in the Palestinian territories and even Israel does not attempt to claim otherwise (all settlements are officially under military rule and outside the jurisdiction of Israeli civilian law). Even the US doesn't legally claim that sort of privilege (though that doesn't stop executive overreach), which is why we have laws against leaving the country for the purpose of committing certain acts illegal under US law - because we don't have jurisdiction to prosecute those acts themselves.

Most countries would be highly unlikely to extradite the rabbi to a country that has no jurisdiction over the crime, and it's somewhat unlikely that a country would willingly extradite a civilian being charged under military law. As usual, you're showing a depressing lack of knowing what the gently caress you're talking about.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I'm pretty sure that the Israeli penal code technically applies to all Israeli nationals whether the felony occurs in Israel or outside of it. Usually it's just a technicality if you've done something that's illegal in Israel and legal elsewhere, such as smoking pot in Amsterdam but it does apply to the settlers living in the oPT.

I'm not 100% on this, I read the specific law several years ago and my memory might be playing tricks on me.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Changing subjects completely to stop arguing with the replicant, apparently the Rafah crossing has been closed for a month. This is causing thousands to be stranded on either side, as well as danger for those who need medical help unavailable in Gaza. A 11-year old girl with Leukemia already died because of this.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Muscle Tracer posted:

This is awesome. Thanks for digging this up!
For a given definition of awesome, sure.

The thing is - everyone are familiar with the phrase (and the basic English gist of "shooting and crying" is also fairly common) - but I don't think the whole thing was ever translated AND I could only find the original in one spot online.

As I said before, the Hebrew section of the internet is fairly terrible (in general, but also in the sense of not really bothering to shift the cultural experience of previous generations into cyberspace)

Anyways, spam it around a bit, see if it gets any reactions.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Main Paineframe posted:

Well, as the crime was not committed in Israeli jurisdiction, Israel would have no grounds to charge him for his deeds there, as Israeli civilian law does not apply in the Palestinian territories and even Israel does not attempt to claim otherwise (all settlements are officially under military rule and outside the jurisdiction of Israeli civilian law). Even the US doesn't legally claim that sort of privilege (though that doesn't stop executive overreach), which is why we have laws against leaving the country for the purpose of committing certain acts illegal under US law - because we don't have jurisdiction to prosecute those acts themselves.

Most countries would be highly unlikely to extradite the rabbi to a country that has no jurisdiction over the crime, and it's somewhat unlikely that a country would willingly extradite a civilian being charged under military law. As usual, you're showing a depressing lack of knowing what the gently caress you're talking about.

Israel has consistently maintained that Israelis are, in fact, under its civilian jurisdiction when in the West Bank and (formerly) Gaza. Palestinians there are under its military jurisdiction. There's a name for that kind of thing, may start with an A.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

Israel:

Finally we seem to agree on something.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I'm pretty sure that the Israeli penal code technically applies to all Israeli nationals whether the felony occurs in Israel or outside of it.

Right, just like every other country I can think of. In American law that is the basis for prosecuting citizens for underage sex-tourism, for example. The principle extends to civil law as well (i.e. preventing personal tax shelters). Of course in the example above there's no indication that the rabbi is Israeli.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

No one cares about this stupid analogy, you're all responding to MIGF again you chodes.

MEANWHILE, after Great-Britain and a couple of other European countries, the French National Assembly has called for the French government to recognize the state of Palestine. The French Senate should follow up soon. On Friday, the Foreign Affairs Minister Laurent Fabius hinted that if the peace process didn't resume within two years, France would probably recognize Palestine officially.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

My Imaginary GF posted:

How would a tortoise "recognize your right to exist on your terms"? It's a tortoise.

Wait, this post is perfect. For the first time, MIGF has created an insightful post. Yes, Israeli policy and action are best explained by metaphor of a sadistic robot who tortures weak and defenseless creatures under absolutely spurious pretexts that don't make any iota of rational sense to any sane observer.

Flowers For Algeria posted:

MEANWHILE, after Great-Britain and a couple of other European countries, the French National Assembly has called for the French government to recognize the state of Palestine. The French Senate should follow up soon. On Friday, the Foreign Affairs Minister Laurent Fabius hinted that if the peace process didn't resume within two years, France would probably recognize Palestine officially.

Fabius wants to wait for two years?

What is it with Hollande's governments and lovely ultimatums. "If there's no peace in Donbass within the next two months, we probably won't deliver the boats. If there's no peace in Palestine within the next two years, we probably will recognize Palestine." Grow some balls already, France! :france:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I'm pretty sure that the Israeli penal code technically applies to all Israeli nationals whether the felony occurs in Israel or outside of it. Usually it's just a technicality if you've done something that's illegal in Israel and legal elsewhere, such as smoking pot in Amsterdam but it does apply to the settlers living in the oPT.

I'm not 100% on this, I read the specific law several years ago and my memory might be playing tricks on me.

Looks like some Israeli civilian laws are applied to settlers, but not all of them, and military law reigns supreme for everything else - a situation that settlers consider to be unjust and discriminatory, of course. There was some furor last month over a proposed law that would have required military authorities to automatically copy any civilian law passed in the Knesset to military law as well, loopholing settlers the full benefit of civilian law without officially covering the settlements under full civilian rule (which, according to critics, would basically be annexation).

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Netenyahu has dissolved his government and called for new elections: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/03/w...WT.nav=top-news

quote:

JERUSALEM — In a decisive move after days of intense political bickering, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of Israel fired his centrist finance and justice ministers on Tuesday and called for the dissolution of Parliament and early elections.

Mr. Netanyahu excoriated Yair Lapid, the finance minister, and Tzipi Livni, the justice minister, for attacking his government and its policies from within in recent weeks, declaring in a statement, “I will no longer tolerate opposition from within the government.”

Israel’s march toward early elections set out last week with a political row over a nationality bill. This week it morphed into a clash over proposed housing changes and the state budget.

But Israeli political analysts said the call for elections, 20 months after the current coalition was sworn in, was not about nationality or reduced-cost housing or any other issue of ideology or principle.

Instead, they said, Mr. Netanyahu had simply had enough of his fractious coalition partners and wanted a more manageable government made up of rightist allies and the ultra-Orthodox parties he has long considered his natural partners.

“It is not about this law or that,” said Yehuda Ben Meir, a former politician and a public opinion and national security expert at the Institute for National Security Studies at Tel Aviv University. Noting that there was room for compromise on the nationality bill and that Mr. Netanyahu originally voted in favor of the housing bill, he said the prime minister appeared to have used these issues to force a coalition crisis.

“This was Netanyahu’s call and his alone,” Mr. Ben Meir said.

Avigdor Lieberman, the foreign minister and a key coalition member who has tried to mediate between the quarreling factions, said at a news conference on Tuesday that “elections are a fait accompli.” He added: “They should be held as soon as possible.”

Barring any dramatic turnaround, a bill for the dissolution of Parliament could be brought to a vote in the coming week. Elections would then be scheduled for March at the earliest.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So the assumption is that this new government is going to purge the 'moderates', correct?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

So the assumption is that this new government is going to purge the 'moderates', correct?

All depends on the elections. But that's his goal in dissolving the government and calling for new elections, yes.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
A government that serves a full term in Israel is truly a rare and special thing. This time it was even more obvious than usual from the very beginning that it won't end well. It wasn't a coalition that anyone wanted, there was just no other choice.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

evilweasel posted:

Netenyahu has dissolved his government and called for new elections: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/03/w...WT.nav=top-news

So much for that 'Moderate' side :allears:

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Channel 2 poll results: Likud - 22, Jewish Home - 17, Labor - 13, Yesh Atid - 9, Yisrael Beitenu - 10, Shas - 9, Moshe Kahlon's new party - 10, Torah Judaism - 8, Meretz - 7, Arab parties - 11, Livni's "Hatnua" - 4.

So, Bibi + Benett + Liberman = 48, assuming he goes with the religious parties this time, add Shas and Torah judaism and he's already at 65 without making any compromises, he can throw in Kahlon who is already a right winger and he's at a staggering 75 seats.

My prediction? More of the same.

I'm glad Lapid took a beating cause that guy is just an imbecile.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Channel 2 poll results: Likud - 22, Jewish Home - 17, Labor - 13, Yesh Atid - 9, Yisrael Beitenu - 10, Shas - 9, Moshe Kahlon's new party - 10, Torah Judaism - 8, Meretz - 7, Arab parties - 11, Livni's "Hatnua" - 4.

So, Bibi + Benett + Liberman = 48, assuming he goes with the religious parties this time, add Shas and Torah judaism and he's already at 65 without making any compromises, he can throw in Kahlon who is already a right winger and he's at a staggering 75 seats.

My prediction? More of the same.

Is Hadash being included in the 'Arab parties' total?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

team overhead smash posted:

Is Hadash being included in the 'Arab parties' total?

I think so, which is weird tbh. And probably a completely intentional 'oversight' by Channel 2 and the papers publishing the story.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Care to elaborate? I know about his mealy-mouthed comments on the evils of miscegnation, but a bunch of Israeli posters on another forum have been singing his praises and I want more ammo.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I think so, which is weird tbh. And probably a completely intentional 'oversight' by Channel 2 and the papers publishing the story.
?
Hadash was always "counted" as an Arab party.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Xander77 posted:

?
Hadash was always "counted" as an Arab party.

You're probably right, can't say I have any memory of previous election polls. Short of that one election poll back in... 1996? where all of us Noar Avoda kiddies where celebrating Peres's reelection when we went to sleep and woke up to Bibi being the PM.

Maybe vote for Hadash this time? I'm thinking maybe Balad cause tbqh I admire Hanin Zouabi, she's cut of the stuff politicians should be cut off but are almost never are. I usually just don't vote at all, last time I did Meretz, who disappointed me during protective edge by keeping to themselves until it was all over. I just don't know.

And Darth Walrus, I'll write a bit about Lapid in a few.

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
At this point I'm almost pulling for the extremist right to just get stronger and stronger. Europe is switching sides, maybe in 20 years the USA will follow. Supporting bibi is one thing, but eventually we're going to be sending bombs to Literal Jewish Hitler.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
So Bibi was accusing Livni and the other minister of orchestrating a "putsch." Apparently he actually used that word. Is there any setting where Israeli politicians fail to play the Nazi card?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SedanChair posted:

So Bibi was accusing Livni and the other minister of orchestrating a "putsch." Apparently he actually used that word. Is there any setting where Israeli politicians fail to play the Nazi card?

Its so hard when they blur the lines so often.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SedanChair posted:

It's just a common term, like you would use a "coup" in English.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's just a common term, like you would use a "coup" in English.

I'm willing to bet the Hebrew for coupe is not 'Putsch'

You cannot say that word without expecting some baggage...

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

CommieGIR posted:

I'm willing to bet the Hebrew for coupe is not 'Putsch'

You cannot say that word without expecting some baggage...

There's the baggage of it being insidious or sudden, like it's a bad coup or a nasty coup, but it's not like "oh, these people who overthrew him are literally Nazis". But the other Israelis here are welcome to weigh in, maybe I've forgotten some nuances in the years away.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Absurd Alhazred posted:

There's the baggage of it being insidious or sudden, like it's a bad coup or a nasty coup, but it's not like "oh, these people who overthrew him are literally Nazis". But the other Israelis here are welcome to weigh in, maybe I've forgotten some nuances in the years away.

Note: This is the country that accuses all of its critics of being anti-Semites while actively carrying out policies similar to the Warsaw Ghetto.

I wouldn't put it above Israeli Government Leadership to be that dense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

CommieGIR posted:

Note: This is the country that accuses all of its critics of being anti-Semites while actively carrying out policies similar to the Warsaw Ghetto.

I wouldn't put it above Israeli Government Leadership to be that dense.

It isn't a matter of them being dense, it's a matter of this being such a basic part of common parlance that trying to make a connection between this and Netanyahu's "Iran is Germany and this is 1938" bullshit is just reaching. No Israeli is going to make that connection, it's become a dead metaphor at this point.

• Locked thread