Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

The Lord Bude posted:

Now everyone pushes it, we can hardly keep them in stock, and I've personally sold about 20 of them in the past week.

I'm a little surprised by this. What are the return rates like on your WinPhone compared to your Android phones? Being a supermarket, this might be pretty different from a Verizon store or whatever.

I've heard that at some phone stores, when salespeople are asked why they don't push WinPhone, the answer is "They always get returned, so there's no point"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

LentThem posted:

I'm a little surprised by this. What are the return rates like on your WinPhone compared to your Android phones? Being a supermarket, this might be pretty different from a Verizon store or whatever.

I've heard that at some phone stores, when salespeople are asked why they don't push WinPhone, the answer is "They always get returned, so there's no point"

We don't accept refunds on phones, unless they are DOA. To my knowledge, I've only had a single person who was dissatisfied - largely because she couldn't play some of the games she was accustomed to on her old phone. I wasn't the one who sold her the phone; I make a point of explaining the app situation when I sell windows phones, but most of the target audience aren't looking for anything fancy in that regard.

People who buy phones from us tend to fall into one of several categories

1. tourists looking for something cheap to use whilst in the country
2. people in the city temporarily, who've moved from a rural area and need a cheap, temporary phone to supply to a relative in the hospital (we're across the street from the biggest public hospital in the state, so people from all across the state come here for treatment)
3. Low income/non tech savy/elderly folk who would never buy a higher end phone - often includes new immigrants; our customer base is relatively low income, with a significant immigrant proportion including the primary areas that our sudanese community has settled around
4. Parents buying something cheap for their kids

Many of our buyers have never had a smartphone before, and don't have an awareness of phone operating systems - we sell a lot of old style dumbphones. Our android phones range in price from around $70 to 200, all of them are super lovely models with terrible low resolution 2.8 - 3.5" screens, generally stuck on Android 2.x I've helped people with some basic tech support and the phones are so poo poo there is often a several second delay with every screen tap, even entering numbers in the dialler. The 530 is currently the second cheapest phone we have, and the cheapest smartphone.

The 530 is lightyears ahead of all of them, and aside from that one lady everyone has been thrilled with it, as far as I've been able to tell - some people are disappointed at the lack of a front facing camera though. When I see customers who've bought a 530 from us I ask them how they've been doing with it, and the response has been generally positive. I've also spoken to people who prefer windows phone as their business phone.

Windows phone in general seems to be marketed better here than in the states - there are billboards for it everywhere, especially when the 930 came out, and it was the phone on the flagship front of store display for most carriers for quite some time. From the brief chats I've had with salespeople in phone stores, they've sold successfully, and while they don't get them in in vast numbers, when the 920 came out they were caught by surprise at the demand, and it was actually hard to find one in stock for weeks - they were better prepared for the 930 launch but they sold out pretty fast as well. I bought my 930 on launch day and I was told I was the 5th person to buy one.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
You should probably destroy all those Android phones and just carry like the Moto E and Moto G. Also, the idea that it is some marketing issue that keeps Windows Phone from exploding in popularity is really weird. I don't think I've ever seen a Lumia 520 commercial or ad, yet I'm pretty confident it's the top selling Windows Phone in the U.S. I don't think any carrier store employees are pushing low end Lumia phone sales hard, ya know. I don't get what's so hard to understand: super cheap Windows Phones are good enough that people will overlook the drawbacks (just like a Moto E or Moto G), while high end Windows Phones can't compete with high end Androids or iPhones and aren't cheap enough for people to go for despite that.

Also, your store's situation sounds very different from the norm in the U.S. In any case, I'm not sure your experiences really suggest Windows Phone is actually in such good shape there, when (1) you don't let people return phones, (2) only people who have no experience with smart phones or who just want a lovely phone for a few days are buying them, and (3) selling five units of a phone on launch day, when there have been ads everywhere, is considered successful.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Dec 2, 2014

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

You should probably destroy all those Android phones and just carry like the Moto E and Moto G. Also, the idea that it is some marketing issue that keeps Windows Phone from exploding in popularity is really weird. I don't think I've ever seen a Lumia 520 commercial or ad, yet I'm pretty confident it's the top selling Windows Phone in the U.S. I don't think any carrier store employees are pushing low end Lumia phone sales hard, ya know. I don't get what's so hard to understand: super cheap Windows Phones are good enough that people will overlook the drawbacks (just like a Moto E or Moto G), while high end Windows Phones can't compete with high end Androids or iPhones and aren't cheap enough for people to go for despite that.

Also, your store's situation sounds very different from the norm in the U.S. In any case, I'm not sure your experiences really suggest Windows Phone is actually in such good shape there, when (1) you don't let people return phones, (2) only people who have no experience with smart phones or who just want a lovely phone for a few days are buying them, and (3) selling five units of a phone on launch day, when there have been ads everywhere, is considered successful.

It was 5 units by 11AM - the store opened at 9.

Motorola isn't really very widespread here - None of the 3 main carriers are currently selling a motorola phone. I suspect you'd have to get it as a grey import. We only get the phones that the reps from the 3 carriers send us, (these are prepaid, but come with sim card) plus a very small handful of unlocked phones. The biggest brand in Android is Samsung, followed by HTC, then an assortment of Sony/Huawei/carrier branded stuff. Our android lineup is about 5 different models of samsung poo poo tier junk, plus a few Huawei and Alcatel bits and pieces and I think maybe an HTC phone.

This is an example of one of our better android phones:

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_gio_s5660-3741.php

It sells for a good deal more than a 530, and gives you an idea of what our 530s are competing with.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?

Biggie Shorty posted:

-Can someone recommend a podcast catcher that will let me subscribe to a podcast using an opml link and also doesn't suck?

Podcast Lounge.

Krinos
Nov 5, 2003
You're doing God's work, son.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

It was 5 units by 11AM - the store opened at 9.

Motorola isn't really very widespread here - None of the 3 main carriers are currently selling a motorola phone. I suspect you'd have to get it as a grey import. We only get the phones that the reps from the 3 carriers send us, (these are prepaid, but come with sim card) plus a very small handful of unlocked phones. The biggest brand in Android is Samsung, followed by HTC, then an assortment of Sony/Huawei/carrier branded stuff. Our android lineup is about 5 different models of samsung poo poo tier junk, plus a few Huawei and Alcatel bits and pieces and I think maybe an HTC phone.

This is an example of one of our better android phones:

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_gio_s5660-3741.php

It sells for a good deal more than a 530, and gives you an idea of what our 530s are competing with.

Though I can't give you sales impressions, it's pretty much the same where I live. There are a lot of ads for cheap Lumia's and while most stores sell Motorola I've never seen one in the wild. Motorola just doesn't have any real brand awareness here. Not that I see so many Lumia's, but I do see them occasionally. Majority is Samsung.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Most of the Windows phone advertising here is for the Lumia 930 however.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

RVProfootballer posted:

I don't get what's so hard to understand: super cheap Windows Phones are good enough that people will overlook the drawbacks (just like a Moto E or Moto G), while high end Windows Phones can't compete with high end Androids or iPhones and aren't cheap enough for people to go for despite that.

You didn't actually make a point her.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

I don't get what's so hard to understand: super cheap Windows Phones are good enough that people will overlook the drawbacks (just like a Moto E or Moto G), while high end Windows Phones can't compete with high end Androids or iPhones and aren't cheap enough for people to go for despite that.

Except this is completely untrue: I have owned a flagship windows phone for two generations now - 920 and 930 and hell would have to freeze over before I bought an android phone or an iphone over a windows phone. My dad gets my old phones when I'm done with them (aside from an iphone 3GS he got from work back in the day) and he agrees with me. Aside from a very tiny minority of nerds who get butthurt over not having large enough numbers on the specsheet to masturbate to; or not having another phone with even bigger masturbation numbers every three months; Most people aren't buying Windows phones because:

1. They don't know windows phones exist - Marketing Problem
2. They know windows phones exist, but don't know very much about them/have been fed outdated stereotypes - Marketing Problem
3. Apple/Samsung/salespeople do a far better, and more prolific job of advertising other phones, and attracting people to their brand. Iphones are seen as a status symbol, windows phones are not - Marketing problem
4. They already have an android phone/iphone and are unwilling to change because they are hooked into an ecosystem, or can't be hosed learning a new OS. This is mostly the fault of Microsoft being so late to the party.

I read an article on a tech site once, not that long ago - a Survey found that Windows Phone users had the highest rates of satisfaction with their phone, and were most likely to buy another windows phone of all three OSs.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

BonoMan posted:

You didn't actually make a point her.

Haha, yeah, after I posted that I wondered if someone would notice :) I mean, it's nothing that hasn't been said before, but I meant something like this: coming from way behind, Windows Phone needs to give people compelling reasons to switch, not just be almost as good as iPhone or Android. Super cheap and surprisingly decent phones like the low end Lumias give that, with some obvious compromises on quality that are tolerable given the value. High end Windows Phones? Well, you pay about as much as a flagship Android or iPhone, you get to re-buy apps in a much more barren app store, you get to stop using iMessage/Safari or Hangouts/Chrome (and their integration with other devices you own!), you get to stop being able to use Swiftkey or Swype, and you get to be perpetually a couple steps behind the cool new features. I actually think the Cortana ads do a good job trying to sell a standout feature. But anyone interested in a high end Windows Phone probably already has had an iPhone or Android and realized that Siri/Google Now/Cortana make doing a few limited things really convenient but are not the amazing paradigm shift in using your phone that people somehow believed Siri would be initially. The hardware is ok, but you can get a comparable camera on an iPhone or Galaxy, in a thinner, lighter phone with better battery life, so you have to really like the aesthetics of a 930 or whatever for it to be a positive. So there are non-zero switching costs to be paid, for at best an almost as good phone. It's not like that's a hit only against WP, that's why Amazon's Fire Phone and Blackberry are hopeless too. At least WP has reached the point where it can give a decent experience and, in the right circumstances (low end, customers who are new to smartphones or already have a WP, etc), can come out ahead.

That's all a long way of saying "high end Windows Phone can't compete with high end Androids or iPhones."

The Lord Bude posted:

Except this is completely untrue: I have owned a flagship windows phone for two generations now - 920 and 930 and hell would have to freeze over before I bought an android phone or an iphone over a windows phone. My dad gets my old phones when I'm done with them (aside from an iphone 3GS he got from work back in the day) and he agrees with me. Aside from a very tiny minority of nerds who get butthurt over not having large enough numbers on the specsheet to masturbate to; or not having another phone with even bigger masturbation numbers every three months; Most people aren't buying Windows phones because:

2. They know windows phones exist, but don't know very much about them/have been fed outdated stereotypes - Marketing Problem
3. Apple/Samsung/salespeople do a far better, and more prolific job of advertising other phones, and attracting people to their brand. Iphones are seen as a status symbol, windows phones are not - Marketing problem
4. They already have an android phone/iphone and are unwilling to change because they are hooked into an ecosystem, or can't be hosed learning a new OS. This is mostly the fault of Microsoft being so late to the party.

I read an article on a tech site once, not that long ago - a Survey found that Windows Phone users had the highest rates of satisfaction with their phone, and were most likely to buy another windows phone of all three OSs.

So you wouldn't ever consider switching away from your current phone OS that you've used for two generations, and you don't see how that's a problem for Windows Phone when the vast majority of people have been using iOS or Android for even longer?

1,2,3. You said you have tons of Lumia ads around you. In the U.S., it has died off a bit lately, but there were WP ads on TV, particularly for Cortana and the 930 (iirc). Along with tons of advertising for Windows 8. I don't think this can keep being an excuse forever.
4. Yeah, that's a big problem.

Apple and Samsung consistently rank at the top of satisfaction in the U.S., which isn't surprising since more people have Apple or Samsung than anything else and people tend to be biased towards things they chose and are familiar with.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Dec 2, 2014

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
e. my first ever quote is not edit, haha

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

It largely boils down to 'Microsoft sucks at marketing' although they do alot better in Europe and developing markets. Also apparently the music player sucks.

WP was successful in markets where Nokia was dominant. Certain countries (like Ukraine, Poland, and Vietnam) had 50%+ market share Nokia 10 years ago. When you ask people about windows phones from those markets they would refer to them as Nokias.

WP can't directly compete in the subsidy heavy US market but has found some footing in countries with the Nokia legacy. The real question is will Windows Phone survive (still around 2% market share) losing the Nokia branding, or even having to compete head to head in the future against a Nokia branded Android.

Personally with Windows 10 reducing the emphasis on Metro and lack of progress of WP8.1 I expect WP will be a cancelled project replaced with a MS Android (like Fire OS) in under 2 years.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Stick100 posted:

WP was successful in markets where Nokia was dominant. Certain countries (like Ukraine, Poland, and Vietnam) had 50%+ market share Nokia 10 years ago. When you ask people about windows phones from those markets they would refer to them as Nokias.
As apparently the only person itt that has ever spoken to an average Vietnamese person with a Windows Phone on a regular basis (because they're my relatives), this is kinda bizarre. :psyduck: They know what Microsoft is and that the OS on their phone is different from a 'regular' Android, I assure you.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

As apparently the only person itt that has ever spoken to an average Vietnamese person with a Windows Phone on a regular basis (because they're my relatives), this is kinda bizarre. :psyduck: They know what Microsoft is and that the OS on their phone is different from a 'regular' Android, I assure you.

Apologies I can only speak to Ukraine and yes they are very aware that it's a Windows Phone but the reason they bought them was because they are Nokia devices. Or to be more specific they made a decision to buy a Nokia that happens to be a Windows phone, not the decision to buy a Windows Phone that happened to be a Nokia.

Going forward MS will not be able to label the phones Nokia (just Lumia which I don't think has much value as a brand) and I wonder how much that will hurt their share in these former Nokia dominant markets.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Stick100 posted:

Personally with Windows 10 reducing the emphasis on Metro and lack of progress of WP8.1 I expect WP will be a cancelled project replaced with a MS Android (like Fire OS) in under 2 years.

I'm not so sure about that. The de-emphasis of Metro for Windows 10 probably had more to do with the fact that Metro on the desktop sucked which contributed in hurting Windows 8's adoption rate. Metro on tablets and touchscreens works well enough that it doesn't need as big of an overhaul. It's probably why the technical preview is focused on the desktop instead. Besides, all the marketing depicting Windows 10 as an OS for multiple devices and platforms show that Metro for phones and tablets are here to stay. Plus, the lack of progress on WP 8.1 probably has to do with the fact that any significant changes and overhauls will come in WP 10 next year.

Then again, Microsoft did get the Nokia X in the Nokia acquisition so they do have a basis for a fallback Android-based OS. Though that's a worst case scenario like if they can no longer collect on their Android licensing deals to prop up Windows Phone.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

The Lord Bude posted:

What happened to 'the app selection is anemic'? While I'm sure I can learn to live without some of the ones I currently have on my Android, there are others that are kinda necessary but aren't available on WP - my credit union's banking app, for example. I know that Microsoft likes to crow about having parity with the competing app markets for the most popular apps (which I understand as being Facebook, Twitter, etc.) but I've also heard that those WP apps generally aren't as usable either.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

isndl posted:

What happened to 'the app selection is anemic'? While I'm sure I can learn to live without some of the ones I currently have on my Android, there are others that are kinda necessary but aren't available on WP - my credit union's banking app, for example. I know that Microsoft likes to crow about having parity with the competing app markets for the most popular apps (which I understand as being Facebook, Twitter, etc.) but I've also heard that those WP apps generally aren't as usable either.

The app selection is anemic. If you're really high on WP, it's because you're convinced you can work around not having many apps, "how many burp and fart pianos do you really need?", etc. Which is true to some extent, but you're always at risk of finding you need an app that WP just doesn't have.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

RVProfootballer posted:

The app selection is anemic. If you're really high on WP, it's because you're convinced you can work around not having many apps, "how many burp and fart pianos do you really need?", etc. Which is true to some extent, but you're always at risk of finding you need an app that WP just doesn't have.
I think that still lies on marketing. If I see an advertisement that mentions an app, it's always iPhone and Android. Never Windows Phone. Never.

Here's a perfect example: http://www.npr.org/templates/listen/

"I'm an NPR listener and might be in the market for a phone in the future. My only choices to support my enjoyment of NPR are iPhone or Android."

Microsoft should be targeting advertisements and web pages that include app information. First, contracting out WP developers to clone the app (or perhaps better, develop an in house team to do it). Second, upon completion, ask or pay the site to include the WP app. Every day they don't do this, the barrier against adoption of WP outside of 2% US domestic will continue at its logarithmic growth.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Cheesus posted:

Microsoft should be targeting advertisements and web pages that include app information. First, contracting out WP developers to clone the app (or perhaps better, develop an in house team to do it). Second, upon completion, ask or pay the site to include the WP app. Every day they don't do this, the barrier against adoption of WP outside of 2% US domestic will continue at its logarithmic growth.

Who do you think does the Twitter app on Windows Phone? Hint, it's not Twitter.

Microsoft already does most of the big apps on the platform themselves because companies themselves won't do it, but it's not exactly a sustainable model when you have to do it for every new popular app on competing platforms. And games? Yeah, good luck with that.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Cheesus posted:

Microsoft should be targeting advertisements and web pages that include app information. First, contracting out WP developers to clone the app (or perhaps better, develop an in house team to do it). Second, upon completion, ask or pay the site to include the WP app.

They've done all of the above with limited success since WP7.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Stick100 posted:

They've done all of the above with limited success since WP7.

Yeah, that's how the platform gets the app that never gets updated. :(

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

As someone who recently jumped ship from WP back to iOS after supporting WP since 2010 starting with a Samsung Focus: here's the list of my reasons why and most likely reasons why people stay away from Windows Phone. I'm sorry to say, that superior marketing would not get people to stay on this platform.

1. The Xbox Music app is one of the worst music apps to ever exist on a smartphone, least of all an app made by a multi-billion dollar corporation. It took months for that team to improve the performance but there are still a metric ton of problems for things that were solved by music playing software as far back as the 90s. It's 2014 and there's still no gapless playback. Users haven't been able to reliably sync content on their phones since the days of WP7 + Zune software. The fact that a key part of the smartphone experience to this day remains terribly broken is enough proof for consumers that even Microsoft doesn't give a poo poo about its own mobile platforms.

2. In terms of not giving a poo poo about its own mobile platform and the consumers who bought into it, Microsoft is now making its own products and services better on iOS and Android than Windows Phone. So even if you are someone who likes Microsoft's services such as xbox music, skype, etc... the best way to experience those services on a mobile device is not on a Windows Phone. This should be reason enough to jump ship. If Microsoft doesn't seem to give a poo poo about its own customers, why should you give a poo poo about them?

3. Microsoft does not seem to care about making flagship devices available on all carriers. They've been great so far at providing great value to the lower end of the market, but if you're someone looking for an upgrade and want the latest and greatest phone, why would you choose a Windows Phone over an iPhone 6 or a Galaxy Note 4? There's absolutely no compelling reason for a consumer to do this and there hasn't been a single piece of messaging from Microsoft as to why someone should choose to invest in a windows phone over the competition. If you were someone who bought a Lumia 920 back in November of 2012, the only reasonable phone you can upgrade to at this point is an iPhone 6. There is no _new_ windows phone for you to purchase.

4. The app situation is just abysmal. As pointed out, even if you do get an official app for a popular web service, that app is almost never updated or maintained as they are on iOS or Android. The amount of examples in which an app on Windows phone is actually superior to the same app on iOS or Android could be counted on a hand with missing fingers.

I genuinely liked WP7 on the focus and felt Windows Phone had a lot of promise. I like the fast and fluid kinetic experience of the OS and the very useful media and social hubs. Slowly over time though with each subsequent release despite adding more features to the OS the experience of Windows Phone got worse and Microsoft failed to live up to any expectation to make a thriving mobile ecosystem that is worth buying into. Maybe Windows 10 will change this, but again like all things related to Windows Phone it just means more waiting. However, given the relative performance of Windows Phone in the market as well Microsoft's own anemic attempts to improve their mobile products, I wouldn't be surprised as others have pointed out if Microsoft eventually shuts down Windows Phone and sweeps it all under the rug as another failed product.

G-III fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 3, 2014

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Maneki Neko posted:

Yeah, that's how the platform gets the app that never gets updated. :(

I think I mentioned it before, but I get an unlimited Rdio subscription from work so I wanted it out on all the platforms (since they use our tools to make their app, hence why we get it for free). It's great on Android and iOS, but the Windows Phone app has not been updated in a year or so.

I mean, the whole app is C#, they could make the WP version shine but they just don't care :(.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

The Supermarket I work in has just brought in the Lumia 530, and put it on sale for 34 dollars outright (normally sells for 90 - 120). Considering the next best phone is spending 200 on an Android phone with a 3.2" screen and android 2.2, you can see the appeal - Since I'm the only windows phone user in the store, I gathered all the other supervisors up and explained how good the phone is, and how it would still be the best phone someone could buy from us even if it cost 200.

I don't know how's the market in there but in Spain, for 179€ (around 220USD) you can get a Moto G with a 4,7" HD screen and Android 5.0. If windows phone does better in Europe is because Vodafone and other carriers offer it as low-cost business phone that works pretty well (lots of 520, 620 and lately 635 around). When it comes to single users, as Drastic said already, whenever you ask for a phone it boils down to: if you are on a budget, get a contract phone and you get the fancy Samsung/Sony/LG/Motorola device and if you can spend more, is an iPhone or a high-end android phone. No one gets a 930, 1520 or the newer 735/830. In my entire base there are three windows phones (my 925 and two guys both with 635s because they were free with a carrier switch with Vodafone) out of like 900 users.

I reall really hope Microsoft starts working hard on its own platform updating and improving it because is a shame that something that works well, looks good and can be a real alternative to iOS/Android is to my eyes slowly fading at least in Europe.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

The growing clusterfuck of the music hub and the dissolving of the people hub, integrated communications being WP's only real usp, is the perfect metaphor for why WP is destined to be an also ran. I've been asked many times what the phone in my hand is (520, 920, 1520) and whether I recommend it. The answer is always no.

At some point someone somewhere said "make WP more like the others". Now WP has come in line with the way Android and IOs operates, and doing it worse, there is little to recommend.

Mr Funkface fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 2, 2014

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

The app selection is okay, but there are a bunch of shovelware shitters out there. Market penetration being one thing, hopefully bypassed somewhat when you can do cross platform apps. My question is how do we get Microsoft to pimp Windows apps for the desktop/tablet market, so they can make them available on phone? I don't know that will ever take off, but that's probably more fruitful than pushing phone directly.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

G-III posted:

As someone who recently jumped ship from WP back to iOS after supporting WP since 2010 starting with a Samsung Focus: here's the list of my reasons why and most likely reasons why people stay away from Windows Phone. I'm sorry to say, that superior marketing would not get people to stay on this platform.

1. The Xbox Music app is one of the worst apps music apps to ever exist on a smartphone, least of all an app made by a multi-billion dollar corporation. It took months for that team to improve the performance but there are still a metric ton of problems for things that were solved by music playing software as far back as the 90s. It's 2014 and there's still no gapless playback. Users haven't been able to reliably sync content on their phones since the days of WP7 + Zune software. The fact that a key part of the smartphone experience to this day remains terribly broken is enough proof for consumers that even Microsoft doesn't give a poo poo about its own mobile platforms.

2. In terms of not giving a poo poo about it's own mobile platform and the consumers who bought into it, Microsoft is now making its own products and services better on iOS and Android than Windows Phone. So even if you are someone who likes Microsoft's services such as xbox music, skype, etc... the best way to experience those services on a mobile device is not on a Windows Phone. This should be reason enough to jump ship. If Microsoft doesn't seem to give a poo poo about its own customers, why should you give a poo poo about them?

3. Microsoft does not seem to care about making flagship devices available on all carriers. They've been great so far at providing great value to the lower end of the market, but if you're someone looking for an upgrade and want the latest and greatest phone, why would you choose a Windows Phone over an iPhone 6 or a Galaxy Note 4? There's absolutely no compelling reason for a consumer to do this and there hasn't been a single piece of messaging from Microsoft as to why someone should choose to invest in a windows phone over the competition. If you were someone who bought a Lumia 920 back in November of 2012, the only reasonable phone you can upgrade to at this point is an iPhone 6. There is no _new_ windows phone for you to purchase.

4. The app situation is just abysmal. As pointed out, even if you do get an official app for a popular web service, that app is almost never updated or maintained as they are on iOS or Android. The amount of examples in which an app on Windows phone is actually superior to the same app on iOS or Android could be counted on a hand with missing fingers.

I genuinely liked WP7 on the focus and felt Windows Phone had a lot of promise. I like the fast and fluid kinetic experience of the OS and the very useful media and social hubs. Slowly over time though with each subsequent release despite adding more features to the OS the experience of Windows Phone got worse and Microsoft failed to live up to any expectation to make a thriving mobile ecosystem that is worth buying into. Maybe Windows 10 will change this, but again like all things related to Windows Phone it just means more waiting. However, given the relative performance of Windows Phone in the market as well Microsoft's own anemic attempts to improve their mobile products, I wouldn't be surprised as others have pointed out if Microsoft eventually shuts down Windows Phone and sweeps it all under the rug as another failed product.

I'm in the same boat. I switched from my 1020 to an iPhone 6 this past Saturday after switching to Windows Phone in 2010, also becoming a Zune/Xbox Music subscriber.

I also agree with pretty much everything you said wholeheartedly. I'd like to switch back to Windows Phone, but it seems like over the past 4 years things have been taking as many steps backward as they have forward. As I get used to having an iPhone again, I'm noticing that most everything I miss about Windows Phone were Windows Phone 7 functionality and not Windows Phone 8.1 functionality.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Shrimpy posted:

I'm in the same boat. I switched from my 1020 to an iPhone 6 this past Saturday after switching to Windows Phone in 2010, also becoming a Zune/Xbox Music subscriber.

I also agree with pretty much everything you said wholeheartedly. I'd like to switch back to Windows Phone, but it seems like over the past 4 years things have been taking as many steps backward as they have forward. As I get used to having an iPhone again, I'm noticing that most everything I miss about Windows Phone were Windows Phone 7 functionality and not Windows Phone 8.1 functionality.

More of less the same here, went from a Lumia 1020 to a Xiaomi MI4 Android phone running MIUI 6. The only thing I miss from the Lumia 1020 is the camera.

I dropped Xbox Music a long time ago - went to Spotify as it was cheaper and had more albums here. Still use my live.com email and calendar, and OneDrive (the last mostly due to the amount of space I've got there).

Besides from that, nothing is really taken over from the Lumia.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

All of this is why I'm 98% sure I'll be getting an Android next fall if/when Windows Phone 10 fails to make any significant improvement. I've been on WP since 7.0 with a Samsung Focus but enough's enough.

#2 about MS's apps being better on other platforms especially rings true. That coupled with the glacial pace of any development to the platform makes it feel like MS just really doesn't care about it or its users.

I used to be able to say "well, Android is ugly unusable trash" (iOS and especially 8 always looked cheesy to me) but Lollipop looks genuinely good.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
Add me to the list of people who have been using WP since the beginning and am considering jumping ship. My wife got an iPhone 6 and it looks pretty slick. On the other hand, I hear good things about Android. I don't like Google as company (probably irrationally) so I'm leaning more toward the iPhone. Is the one platform that Microsoft services work better on?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

wookieepelt posted:

Add me to the list of people who have been using WP since the beginning and am considering jumping ship. My wife got an iPhone 6 and it looks pretty slick. On the other hand, I hear good things about Android. I don't like Google as company (probably irrationally) so I'm leaning more toward the iPhone. Is the one platform that Microsoft services work better on?

Yeah, I made the jump to iPhone 6+ after owning a number of Windows Phones (launch day Focus baby!) and it's been fine, but if I had wanted to wait longer for the current crop of Android devices to get lollipop, Android probably would've been fine too.

I also don't particularly love Google and really didn't have any major problems ignoring the Google ecosystem integration in android, iOS just offered a better experience I thought for the stuff I actually care about and use on a daily basis (outlook.com, exchange, onedrive, etc). Those all required additional apps in Android, and the experience/integration was different in every app. I thought that Android widgets were a "sort of" replacement for live tiles, but not quite, and iOS really doesn't have anything that matches up.

On the iOS side, TouchID in particular has ended up being one of those things that went from "oh, that sounds kinda ok" to "holy crap, every phone I buy from here on out better have something similar".

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

LifeSizePotato posted:

All of this is why I'm 98% sure I'll be getting an Android next fall if/when Windows Phone 10 fails to make any significant improvement. I've been on WP since 7.0 with a Samsung Focus but enough's enough.

This is partly why I made the switch now. I'm off contract and with no flagships on the horizon and Win10 phones not coming until mid-to-late next year, it seemed like a prime time to make a switch.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Maneki Neko posted:

Yeah, I made the jump to iPhone 6+ after owning a number of Windows Phones (launch day Focus baby!) and it's been fine, but if I had wanted to wait longer for the current crop of Android devices to get lollipop, Android probably would've been fine too.

I also don't particularly love Google and really didn't have any major problems ignoring the Google ecosystem integration in android, iOS just offered a better experience I thought for the stuff I actually care about and use on a daily basis (outlook.com, exchange, onedrive, etc). Those all required additional apps in Android, and the experience/integration was different in every app. I thought that Android widgets were a "sort of" replacement for live tiles, but not quite, and iOS really doesn't have anything that matches up.

On the iOS side, TouchID in particular has ended up being one of those things that went from "oh, that sounds kinda ok" to "holy crap, every phone I buy from here on out better have something similar".

If I had to get a phone right now, I would get an iPhone. Yeah, its cookie cutter, but things work, and every android phone I've had has been a cluttered mess with terrible setting menus.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Windows Phone - Where we talk about our new iPhones

I'm still holding out hope that whenever they do get around to releasing a new flagship (maybe for WP 10's launch?) it's not totally terrible. I would love to get one, if only for a development device than a daily driver. But I've been burned too many times. I'll probably just keep this 1020 I got and update it to WP 10 just to play around with it, and then put it back in the drawer.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
How have they allowed themselves to get to this? Look at all our goodwill, wasted repeatedly. Microsoft needs cheerleaders for this platform and we're dropping like flies. I used Windows Phone for nearly 3 years and I wasn't able to recommend it to many people.

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle
Let's say that ex-Nokians thought they had seen everything already, I mean infighting and political battles between divisions can't get worse than at what it was like at Nokia pre-Elop?

Oh boy did moving to Microsoft surprise them.

I'd be really surprised if there is anything left of Microsoft in mobile space after couple of years.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I will say this, I did love my Samsung Focus. Expandable memory, great sound quality, and a screen that at the time blew my iPhone 3GS completely out of the water. Worked flawlessly with Zune and was an all around great solid product experience. Lack of aps was an issue but at the time no one really expected there to be thousands of apps at launch and the me / people social hubs were miles better than any mobile twitter / facebook app on any platform at the time. Sure the phone was plasticy and probably cheaply constructed but it was very light and thin for its time. In a better world, Samsung would have put out a version of the Focus each time they released a new Galaxy S phone, but obviously there was no market based incentive for Samsung to do so when they were (and still are) making a killing with their Android based phones.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Odd request, but are there any worthwhile alternatives to Word (that will work with OneDrive)? Word is fine, but the text is too large and readable! I do a lot of work on the train while commuting, and people can read it from half a carriage away, even on low brightness. I need something more discreet. If I can zoom out the view so that the text is readable to me but not to people peering over my shoulder (like you can with Quickoffice) it would be safer. Any bright ideas?

Pipski fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
Chime me in as another goon who jumped ship from WP to Android, in my case a 920 to a Huewei Honor 6 (it costs as much as a Oneplus One except it runs actual Android and you don't have to jump through hoops to buy it). My reasons are pretty much the same as everyone else, what with the music app being terrible and no decent replacement for the 920. The app situation I wasn't too concerned with (I don't really game on a phone so that didn't bother me) but the amount of lovely shovelware apps and flappy birds clones in the app store was just depressing.

Hopefully Microsoft will maybe possibly release a killer flagship phone that will be totally awesome and maybe Windows 10 will be good but right now I'm just disappointed in the whole Windows Phone situation.