Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.
The 13th age bard is pretty good but it probably diverges quite a bit from what one would consider a jack of all trades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Azran posted:

Has a crunchy RPG really managed to make a jack-of-all-trades class properly without it just being worse in both aspects and not being incredibly redundant? Can't think of a D&D example - I'd say Warcaster for the Iron Kingdoms RPG, but it's a niche that I personally enjoy but gets incredibly neglected.

The problem with most jack-of-all-trades is the "master of none" part.

I've seen non-class based games make jack-of-all-trades characters who do well, because they typically have an ability or meta-currency or something that lets them momentarily make them a master of one of those trades.

In D&D the only example that comes to mind is the Factotum, almost entirely due to being part of the proto-4e stuff that added per-encounter mechanics along with some generally very strong abilities.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Azran posted:

Has a crunchy RPG really managed to make a jack-of-all-trades class properly without it just being worse in both aspects and not being incredibly redundant? Can't think of a D&D example - I'd say Warcaster for the Iron Kingdoms RPG, but it's a niche that I personally enjoy but gets incredibly neglected.

4E Bard with the Bard of All Trades feat

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I think the Bard works best when they're less "Jack of all trades" and more "designated faceman".

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Darwinism posted:

4E Bard with the Bard of All Trades feat

Make it a cunning bard and add Resourceful Magician!

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
The guy playing the Bard in our 5E game is loving the million skill proficiencies and lower proficiency bonus on everything else. He can do anything

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

neonchameleon posted:

Ignore the 2e Bard haters. They are comparing the Bard to the wrong class. A Bard in 2e was the best way of playing a low level wizard in a game without a pack of hirelings; a level 3 bard cast like a level 2 wizard (off the same number of XP), had a decent number of hit points, weapons, and armour, and some thief skills. The wizard only definitively pulled ahead at magic at level 7 - and the game soft-capped only a couple of levels after that.
Also the 2e Complete Bard's Handbook was the definitive model for the 'kit' subsystem. A lot of our house rule writing time was invested in bringing the rest of the game's kits up to the baseline that the really great kits developed in the Bard's handbook.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I've been playing a bard. They're a lot of fun since you get to give the bardic inspiration away for others to use as a free action, so you don't end up just going "I play the harp still" for your turn. You've got a lot of support magic and "face of the party" stuff which gives you a decent amount of narrative control without descending into the extreme narrative and balance destruction of some classes (At level 5 and without minmaxing, which will probably change that a lot).

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
When I made my druid I knew I was going to get tired of paging through the PHB, so I went full nerd and wrote a spell card generator.

Not sure if anyone is as insane as I am about cards, but I figured I might as well post it in case it'd help someone else out. The UI is still a tad rough, but it's functional. There were other, similar tools out there already, but none of them laid out the cards exactly how I wanted. Plus most of them are web-based, and that opens up a can of worms I wouldn't want to touch with a 10-ft pole. :v:

I might go back and add a line at the bottom for writing in the save/attack math in the future, but probably nothing that automatically calculates it. And if anyone else has any other ideas about improving the card layout to make it more functional I'm open to ideas.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Would you mind if I linked that to a friend?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Not for nothing, but you might want to look at http://hardcodex.ru/ before you reinvent the wheel

Although yours does look easier to use offline.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

gradenko_2000 posted:

Not for nothing, but you might want to look at http://hardcodex.ru/ before you reinvent the wheel
Actually that's what gave me the idea. I was trying to use that but couldn't get it to print the border lines on the cards for some reason. Also I really like having different border colors for different types of spells like in 4e.

And yeah, go ahead and link it to whoever.

ImpactVector fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 1, 2014

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ImpactVector posted:

I was trying to use that but couldn't get it to print the border lines on the cards for some reason.

Oh shoot! I had that problem too! Yeah I'm definitely going to check out your project now if yours fixes that.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Night10194 posted:

2E Bard, man. Everything bad about the 2E Thief with none of the dubious 'good' things.

The 2e Bard worked perfectly well at low-to-mid-level if you treated it as a hybrid Fighter/Mage with some minor Thief skills rather than a variant Thief. The Bard was the only non-Warrior class that could use any weapon (and any armor, if they didn't mind not being able to cast spells while wearing it), and they didn't have any restrictions into their selection of Wizard spells. At higher levels the properly multiclassed Fighter/Mage clearly outperformed the Bard in every category - but then, who ever actually plays at high levels?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

gradenko_2000 posted:

Oh shoot! I had that problem too!
Ha, glad it's not just me then. I was worried I was just doing something stupid.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

gtrmp posted:

The 2e Bard worked perfectly well at low-to-mid-level if you treated it as a hybrid Fighter/Mage with some minor Thief skills rather than a variant Thief. The Bard was the only non-Warrior class that could use any weapon (and any armor, if they didn't mind not being able to cast spells while wearing it), and they didn't have any restrictions into their selection of Wizard spells. At higher levels the properly multiclassed Fighter/Mage clearly outperformed the Bard in every category - but then, who ever actually plays at high levels?

I played a high level second edition Bard for several months back in the late 90s. We started at high level with an XP total to build a character from, which got my bard to 16th level and a fighter/mage to 10/11. That gave me a 6th level spell while the mage only had 5th, although I did have 2 fewer spells overall. I recall bard abilities being pretty useful too.

I'm not denying that the numbers will show that the ftr/mge is better, or that the bard is pretty underwhelming, but it wasn't bad at higher levels either.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

I didn't see anything about it in the OP, but is this a good place to look for players for a 5E game? I'm 2 people down on a game I was going to run and all my usual players are busy or otherwise unavailable.

Beyond that, how have people found balancing encounters past level 5 or so? It seems a lot of PCs come into their own at that point and can handle things quite a few steps above their level in CR at that point, further making a mockery of the term.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Chronische posted:

I didn't see anything about it in the OP, but is this a good place to look for players for a 5E game? I'm 2 people down on a game I was going to run and all my usual players are busy or otherwise unavailable.

Beyond that, how have people found balancing encounters past level 5 or so? It seems a lot of PCs come into their own at that point and can handle things quite a few steps above their level in CR at that point, further making a mockery of the term.

I think you probably want the recruitment thread stickied at the top of the subforum.

Also balancing encounters sounds like a nightmare because CR doesn't seem to follow any discernible formula.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Rannos22 posted:

I think you probably want the recruitment thread stickied at the top of the subforum.

Also balancing encounters sounds like a nightmare because CR doesn't seem to follow any discernible formula.

Thanks, didn't notice it before.

Yeah, encounter balance is whack as poo poo. The best I've been able to do is just slowly slowly increase the average power of larger groups of foes since single foes usually get shredded, and groups of foes that are slightly too powerful will in turn shred the party.

I'm hoping they rebalance a lot of the monsters in a later MM or something like that, though perhaps they will do localized MMs with setting rulebooks like they had with Ravenloft and Planescape.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
WOTC just dropped a Dungeon Master Supplement: Magic Items By Rarity, to separate the various items into the Common, Uncommon, Rare, Very Rare, Legendary, Sentient and Artifact types.

I gotta say though, if they're leveraging "digital distribution" as much as they already are what with this and errata to the Basic Rules and Online Supplements to Hoard of the Dragon Queen/Rise of Tiamat, why the deuce have they not yet released full PDF versions of the books? The previews of the DMG practically guarantee that they can already do this.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
Based on WotC's previous tantrum concerning digital distribution, their reasoning is probably along the lines of "something something pirates!"

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Littlefinger posted:

Based on WotC's previous tantrum concerning digital distribution, their reasoning is probably along the lines of "something something pirates!"

The work-experience kid who was supposed to do that side of things got fired for asking how surprise actually works.

Now the project is forever impossible.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Eh, I can understand having some reservations against digital when your flagship product's release gets scooped by free bootleg PDFs.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Yeah. Honestly the one thing that this edition has done really well it's the release of the Basic Rules PDFs for free - they're enough that I can link my players to them and give them a reference guide without making everyone buy a full PHB.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

moths posted:

Eh, I can understand having some reservations against digital when your flagship product's release gets scooped by free bootleg PDFs.

Now they just scan them into PDFs and pirate them that way. And that means I can't have a nice legitimate PDF to look at on my tablet.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I can sort of understand the nature of PDFs precluding them from being part of a Steam-esque distribution model where they're technically locked away behind DRM but the DRM is so unintrusive and the trade-off in price and convenience so in favor of the consumer that the consumer doesn't mind, but even then I have to agree with Andrast.

People are/were going to pirate the books regardless, and trying to lock them away behind a no-PDF-at-all "DRM" scheme is just punishing legitimate users who either have to paw through the books to look up every little thing that they're looking for, or they have to resort to pirated PDFs anyway (which, as scans go, still aren't very easily searchable nor well-indexed - all you're doing is dodging the wear and tear on the paper product).

There's also the point straight from video game piracy discussions circa early '00s that completely preventing access to the product does not convert every former pirate into a new customer: they're just not going to bother playing the game at all.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost
While it'd be convenient for players to have digital copies of the books (or digital tools!), I'm guessing WotC probably doesn't really want to do anything that'd cut into their physical book sales until they're already on the decline.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
We ran our first session this weekend and had a great time. One thing that did come up that I didn't know how to handle was loot.

When the party massacres a group of goblins am I supposed to make up the sort of loot they are carrying? Or just say "All the gear was destroyed in combat". The Mines of Phandelvar book has everything else in great detail but nothing on loot (Except for treasure chests at certain junctions).

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
Lets look at D&D insane history of revenue generation:

• Selling D&D as a "buy it once" toy/boardgame (Red Box)
  • Selling D&D as a magazine publishing model, where they pay writers who have produced D&D content and then keep all IP (Dragon, Dungeon)
  • Selling D&D as a book selling business, where revenue is from the sale of books primarily (Bankrupted TSR)
  • Selling D&D as a monthly subscription service to new content (4E Digital River)

Might as well go down the rabbit hole and monetize D&D by making the D&D App. I ponder if Trapdoor Technologies was hired to do this. Ultimately I don't think the development money was ever in existence to make a high quality D&D app, but if it did exist, this is how I think it would work.

The app contains the basic rules for free. It contains a character sheet with basic building functionality and built in die-roller. You need to do a thing? You touch a thing. Die rolls, gives you a result.

The app contains in-app upgrade purchases. You can buy the $30 complete unlocks (whole PHB, whole DMG, whole MM) or just pay for the rules modules that you use. Modules are priced at the $8 mark or so. Its cheaper to buy the whole package than to buy all the unlocks. You can even do stuff like price individual monsters and spells at X cents each. Go hog wild. Use the now massive utilization data on which classes people are playing, spells they are casting, monsters they are fighting etc to make intelligent choices about your market.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

m.hache posted:

We ran our first session this weekend and had a great time. One thing that did come up that I didn't know how to handle was loot.

When the party massacres a group of goblins am I supposed to make up the sort of loot they are carrying? Or just say "All the gear was destroyed in combat". The Mines of Phandelvar book has everything else in great detail but nothing on loot (Except for treasure chests at certain junctions).

"Bounded Accuracy" is supposed to make it so that you won't need to hand out anything specific* to the players. I would go with some gold every encounter, with a ~nice~ item at milestones and narratively appropriate points.

The DMG has treasure tables based on CR if you want to hand-out loot based on such guidelines, but you could probably do just fine winging it with whatever sounds cool.

* provided that as a DM you also don't throw in ghosts that need a +1 Sword to be hit if you don't also give them the +1 Swords in the first place

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Also, the rules are searchable and linked together, which is a massive improvement at the table over a book or even a well-produced PDF. Need to know how a spell works? Tap it.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

m.hache posted:

The basic rule, per-PHB on loot is that monsters will have whatever weapons and armor make sense or are on their statblock or whatever, but that those items are too crude/beat up/low quality to be worth anything at market. If one of your players needs/wants to/can actually use a basic goblin shortsword for some reason, just give it to them, but otherwise don't sweat loot unless it's supposed to advance your narrative. Save the good stuff for capital-T-Treasure hoards, and just up the quantity to reflect the sort of challenges your players have overcome since their last big haul.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

moths posted:

Considering that the 4e leak pdf was straight-up a production copy with marks and bleeds (meaning it's indicative of a problem on their end that could persist unless they went to a Palladium-style wax machine layout process), their reservations against digital releases have always been wrong-headed and more about cutting off their noses to spite their faces (and mistakenly believing that their incredibly niche product has more to lose than it does to gain by ceasing reliance on physical media) than anything grounded in reality.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

CaptainPsyko posted:

The basic rule, per-PHB on loot is that monsters will have whatever weapons and armor make sense or are on their statblock or whatever, but that those items are too crude/beat up/low quality to be worth anything at market. If one of your players needs/wants to/can actually use a basic goblin shortsword for some reason, just give it to them, but otherwise don't sweat loot unless it's supposed to advance your narrative. Save the good stuff for capital-T-Treasure hoards, and just up the quantity to reflect the sort of challenges your players have overcome since their last big haul.

This kind of loot reward system has always bothered me, from a ~verisimilitude~ standpoint. Who's gathering all this stuff, and why isn't it used to, you know, fight off the murderhobos slaughtering your tribe of orcs or whatever?

KJDavid
Nov 22, 2013

My other avatar is a pocke-thingy.
PCs always loot the corpse anyway. If there's a +1 Super-Duper sword in the adventure, make sure someone is swinging it at the PCs.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Laphroaig posted:

Might as well go down the rabbit hole and monetize D&D by making the D&D App. I ponder if Trapdoor Technologies was hired to do this.

The app contains the basic rules for free. It contains a character sheet with basic building functionality and built in die-roller. You need to do a thing? You touch a thing. Die rolls, gives you a result.

The app contains in-app upgrade purchases.

This was the plan. Your Wizards account linking your pdf access to the apps and webpage, all linked up with portable character sheets and dm campaigns, with hyperlinked spells and options.

Now that plan is scrapped or seriously delayed.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Playing 4E, with an Insider subscription (access to the Compendium), and using MapTool with Rumble's lite framework just proves to me how awesome a subscription model could be for Wizards if they would just get their loving heads out of their asses.

With MapTool, I get a virtual tabletop. If I'm playing a published adventure, I can import the maps directly, with all the beautiful artwork and everything, and set up vision blocking and light and other fun stuff so less time is wasted arguing over whether that goblin can see me or not. Monster images can be imported into the tokens too, so players can hover over and get a cool picture of what they're fighting rather than an awkward description from me (that interrupts combat) or holding up the book (and trying to cover up any important information). It also tracks initiative and statuses and does math for rolls for powers and all sorts of other stuff.

With the compendium, I can import monster stat blocks in a few seconds, and get an encounter decked out in fifteen minutes, including lots of their powers.

Wizards could literally do all of this, and since they control distribution and could make their own tabletop, they could deliver entire dungeons pre-made and ready to go. You could conceivably even play without a DM if you were willing to be all hack'n'slash about it. Just keep writing up new dungeons, adventures, monsters, and you have a dedicated fanbase that's committed to new content. You don't even have to worry about piracy since something new is coming next month.

Currently I pay about $5 a month for Compendium access, and it saves me time when I can just import monsters into my game. I still have to set up maps, and vision, and lighting, and tweak lots of little things that don't work perfectly. Imagine what could be if they provided all that other stuff, ready to go, too. :smith:

E: And like people have said, an app version of the Rules Compendium. A friend showed me a (paid) Pathfinder app that you can search, and he says he uses it literally every game to search spells, equipment, monsters, and rules. Make something worthwhile WotC so I can give you my loving money.

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 3, 2014

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Seriously, of the many mistakes Wizards made with DDI, not having any app support was- well, one of them. This should have been elementary- you have all the rules and some nifty applications in one place, now let us access that place from our mobile devices, $$$$$$$$$.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

I enjoy that having pdf's available to purchase online is bad because pirates will steal it but having an OGL that allows your competitors to rebrand your product to steal your customers is a-okay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Rannos22 posted:

I enjoy that having pdf's available to purchase online is bad because pirates will steal it but having an OGL that allows your competitors to rebrand your product to steal your customers is a-okay!

In fairness, they abandoned PDFs AND the OGL at the same time.