Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
yospos.txt, a short play

a dev is sitting getting work done, and a yosposter approaches

> hello dev, what are you doing

i am writing a simple http server which keeps lets people send fart noises to each other in real time using websockets

> have you considered writing it in my favourite language because i am pretty sure i would pick it instead of whatever you're using, because i live in a world with neither technical or social constraints on software

no i hadn't, but i really don't give a gently caress, this piece of crap needs to be out of the door soon enough

> let me tell you a long bullet pointed list of why whatever you have picked is wrong, usually by demonstrating the many edge cases it has, which is easy, because any piece of software in production will have them

i'll leave it to the next guy assuming my company is still in business next year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

tef posted:

yospos.txt, a short play

i am writing a simple http server which keeps lets people send fart noises to each other in real time using websockets

> have you considered writing it in my favourite language because i am pretty sure i would pick it instead of whatever you're using, because i live in a world with neither technical or social constraints on software

no i hadn't, but i really don't give a gently caress, this piece of crap needs to be out of the door soon enough

> let me tell you a long bullet pointed list of why whatever you have picked is wrong, usually by demonstrating the many edge cases it has, which is easy, because any piece of software in production will have them

i'll leave it to the next guy assuming my company is still in business next year

this

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

I don't like Flask and I don't know why. I like Python.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

rotor posted:

eh, node is not as bad as bash. there, I said it.

node: at least it's better than bash cgi

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

uncurable mlady posted:

I don't like Flask and I don't know why. I like Python.

do u like bottle though it's kinda flask-ish i guess

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

rotor posted:

that's basically the deal. everyone knows javascript, so node makes sense for whatever lame little internal service you have.

yep

and websocket support is kinda terrible in other kits

quote:

I haven't used it enough to actually care about anything important, i just cant abide non c-syntax languages.

you might like go, it's basically c for lazy people

if you can get over the taste of mandatory indentation (it takes a while), the rest of python isn't total garbage and pretty amenable to cheap but reliable hacks

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Valeyard posted:

Python is great, and should be taught at schools as babbys first plang, to replace our nations standard language: Visual Basic

i thought that was java

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
weird old tip: if you work with a sack of dicks then it doesn't really matter what language you write in because the job and the resulting product will inevitably be terrible

ask me about writing ruby and giving mostly non-zero fucks about it because i work with pretty solid people

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

do u like bottle though it's kinda flask-ish i guess

haven't tried it, I'll look at it for my next toy web thing

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

oh god no

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol i meant using bash scripts for scripts. bash cgi is clearly insane from the start

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Valeyard posted:

C# is great, and should be taught at schools as babbys first lang, to replace our nations standard language: Visual Basic

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

tef posted:

yep

and websocket support is kinda terrible in other kits

if you can get over the taste of mandatory indentation (it takes a while), the rest of python isn't total garbage and pretty amenable to cheap but reliable hacks

I was sorta scarred by people who used the phrase "pythonic" irl all the time and thought using as many list comprehension features as you could fit in one line was cool

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

tef posted:

"scale" mate it's a http routing shim wrapped around werkzeug

lol at first i thought werkzurg was just you making a joke about fad frameworks but then its a thing. plangers are the worst.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

tef posted:

yospos.txt, a short play

the yospos flow hart has always been

is it written in python?
yes-> rewrite it in C
no-> rewrite it in python

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

tef posted:

yospos.txt, a short play

yeah but you suggested using python instead of an industry standard.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

ive never done functional stuff but i think map and filter and the lambda expressions are quite nice in python and easier to remember and read than they are in c#

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

tef posted:

well I AM lazy but if I was gonna learn a new language now (ha!) it'd be c#

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
your brain is busted if python is more readable than c#

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if you need websockets use SignalR

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

Shaggar posted:

jersey and cxf are both jax-rs implementations so your service code would be identical, but I find cxfs use of spring makes it easier to deal w/ the server config.

that was my roadblock, setting up cxf means setting up spring first which can be kind of confusing. I guess if you're using spring already it's s no brainer but I wasn't and jersey is just plug in and go

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Shaggar posted:

your brain is busted if python is more readable than c#

if you write really brain-dead python it is super readable but no one ever does because someone told them that terseness was a virtue and they went apeshit crazy over the idea

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

that was my roadblock, setting up cxf means setting up spring first which can be kind of confusing. I guess if you're using spring already it's s no brainer but I wasn't and jersey is just plug in and go

yeah I use spring for config in most of my java stuff cause it makes DI easier, especially when using mybatis-spring.

rotor posted:

if you write really brain-dead python it is super readable but no one ever does because someone told them that terseness was a virtue and they went apeshit crazy over the idea

python and its community are full of terrible math major ideals like that. its a bad language and you should avoid it. also, the linq function names make way more sense.

like you should seriously look at the current asp.net web stack cause its so much better than everything else by miles and miles and miles

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

rotor posted:

people who used the phrase "pythonic" irl all the time and thought using as many list comprehension features as you could fit in one line was cool

yeah i had that phase but i grew out of it

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

rotor posted:

well I AM lazy but if I was gonna learn a new language now (ha!) it'd be c#

if you already know c eh you're like 80% of the way there, the big things are just features removed or simplified, no import files, no makefiles, no malloc/free, and the rest are useful things built in by default: hashes, lists, and some good enough method dispatch based around interfaces

i kinda picked up a go program at work and it was "eh this isn't totally awful to use"

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Someone should write a coffee script style thing for python that gives it c style syntax

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

tef posted:

if you already know c eh you're like 80% of the way there, the big things are just features removed or simplified, no import files, no makefiles, no malloc/free, and the rest are useful things built in by default: hashes, lists, and some good enough method dispatch based around interfaces

i kinda picked up a go program at work and it was "eh this isn't totally awful to use"

hm. ok I'll take a look.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Bloody posted:

Someone should write a coffee script style thing for python that gives it c style syntax

please call it cython tia

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

rotor posted:

please call it cython tia

already taken by a python compiler that lets you use c data types and functions in python and then compile em away, which is kinda nice for numeric stuff (where it came from), but also a pretty cheap way to get some performance out of any old python code without huffing pypy

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Shaggar posted:

yeah but you suggested using python instead of an industry standard.

yeah i forgot to suggest ecmascript

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

tef posted:

if you know java you're 99.5% of the way to c#

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Speaking of C# I'm most likely going to take an offer for a role where I'd be using it. The money's bad for the industry because of where the company is based (it's not in the US; it's still a very livable wage) but for personal reasons I'm stuck with remote work right now which limits my options. At the very least I wouldn't have use Ruby and I've legitimately wanted to get into C# for a while.

You all can laugh at me now or tell me to kill myself I guess.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
c# is great. enjoy.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if you know java you're 99.5% of the way to c#

except for the apis :v:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Shaggar posted:

c# is great. enjoy.

enjoy working with one of the most well thought-out and designed languages, ides, and environments in existence

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
seriously asp.net mvc is awesome and working with razor is a dream compared to any Java templating language I used

it's just really too bad that the persistence frameworks suck poo poo through a straw

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
although one eclipse feature I miss in vs is shift clicking to go to definition. the f12 feature in vs seems not as good.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

triple sulk posted:

Speaking of C# I'm most likely going to take an offer for a role where I'd be using it. The money's bad for the industry because of where the company is based (it's not in the US; it's still a very livable wage) but for personal reasons I'm stuck with remote work right now which limits my options. At the very least I wouldn't have use Ruby and I've legitimately wanted to get into C# for a while.

You all can laugh at me now or tell me to kill myself I guess.
I'm actually in similar situation in that I'm looking for remote work, and wouldn't mind low-ish wage as long as it's livable. I'd be curious to hear about how it works out for you.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

although one eclipse feature I miss in vs is shift clicking to go to definition. the f12 feature in vs seems not as good.

https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/4b286b9c-4dd5-416b-b143-e31d36dc622b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

theres a lot of stuff in vs that sucks. no maven, back+forward buttons on ur mouse, no maven, intellisense is garbage compared to eclipse autocomplete, nuget is poo poo, and also theres no maven.

• Locked thread