Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Ugh that stupid U/W Heroic deck prancing around standard right now is getting me real loving salty. Dudes are nigh-unremovable and unblockable... :ughh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Skillface posted:

SCG is cutting everyone but Sullivan, Phillips and Hunt. It's not him who's made the decision, though who knows.

I know about that, but I was hoping he'd remain as a 'rare' commentator or something. It's a real bummer, him and Phillips are a dream team. Hunt and Sullivan are fine, and Sullivan does well with Phillips, but Chapin man, he's the next level (deckbuilder :v:)

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Ugh that stupid U/W Heroic deck prancing around standard right now is getting me real loving salty. Dudes are nigh-unremovable and unblockable... :ughh:

Crackling doom eats heroic for lunch.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Cactrot posted:

Crackling doom eats heroic for lunch.

It can't survive any wrath effect.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

mcmagic posted:

It can't survive any wrath effect.

On the other hand, when you stubborn denial a Wrath it's a Savage Beating.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
U/W heroic doesn't care much about sorcery speed wraths when it draws back up to 7 during its turn actually.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Patrick Chapin resolved 5 treasure cruises, there is no god

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
A deck of Taylor Swiftspears, Young Peezy, and Delver just went 2 hours in one round.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Rashad is officially the worst commentator in the history of live commentary. It's always been true and is still true.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Rashad is officially the worst commentator in the history of live commentary. It's always been true and is still true.

You mean a player at 2 might not be considering casting a free Probe?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Disturbing Magic: The Gathering Murder Scene:

http://i.imgur.com/JuXlX1q.jpg

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
It's not even just his ridiculous play suggestions. It's his complete and utter lack of charisma, cadence, timing, composure, or ability to carry himself without bashing you over the head with his staggering social awkwardness. Like, he's just not meant to be on camera while conversing with other humans in a live setting -- give him another loving job!

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
That reminds me of my insane fantasy of sleeving a deck in toploaders.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

MiddleEastBeast posted:

As long as Shledon Menery exists, this isn't true.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Is there any rule against sleeving a draft deck in clear sleeves with a Morph token behind each card?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Entropic posted:

Is there any rule against sleeving a draft deck in clear sleeves with a Morph token behind each card?

Probably.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
So wait, could we have the horrific tag team of Rich Hagon and Rashad Miller as the two commentators for Worlds this week? That's terrifying.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Hellsau posted:

So wait, could we have the horrific tag team of Rich Hagon and Rashad Miller as the two commentators for Worlds this week? That's terrifying.

I'm literally watching Picture-in-Picture of a "Live Look-In" of a pair of players sideboarding and shuffling while watching the main match sideboarding and shuffling. The ability of WotC coverage to show us the worst of all possible things is not in question. Vive la HagonMiller!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I've never really watched tourney coverage before but I've got the YouTube stream on now. Is this the tournament where they're doing the real-life vintage masters thing? When is that scheduled for?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

goferchan posted:

I've never really watched tourney coverage before but I've got the YouTube stream on now. Is this the tournament where they're doing the real-life vintage masters thing? When is that scheduled for?

A few hours ago :negative:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

goferchan posted:

It already happened. Rounds 1-3 were VMA draft.

:frogsiren: Splice onto Arcane on a Flashbacked Spell On Camera :frogsiren:

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Does anyone know when the GP Baltimore main event starts? I have been looking on the Wizards and CardTitan info pages for it, and cannot find a definite answer. The last 2 GPs I went to started at 10AM so that is probably a good bet.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
How many loti were opened? (And what are they worth if they're legal).

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
ahh dang. what's the rest of the schedule like? I'm not familiar enough with the card pool for Modern to be very interesting

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Rinkles posted:

(And what are they worth if they're legal).

They definitely aren't. The VMA packs were made just for the event, by making VMA packs on MODO and printing them out. Proxies, essentially. :v:

goferchan posted:

ahh dang. what's the rest of the schedule like? I'm not familiar enough with the card pool for Modern to be very interesting

3 rounds of KTK Draft tomorrow, then 4 rounds of Standard, and the playoffs are in Standard again. You can just google "World Magic Championship" and look at Wizards's page for all relevant info. :)

Also, WOO CHAPIN

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 2, 2014

RME
Feb 20, 2012

No they're legal because they weren't printed for the event, they're already existing cards that wizards had.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Patrick Chapin is 6-0. :allears:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

RME posted:

No they're legal because they weren't printed for the event, they're already existing cards that wizards had.

I thought MaRo had answered that, but here's what he said on Tumblr:

quote:

Can you tell us a little about the Vintage Masters draft going on at Worlds Week that has physical cards?

We made booster packs of Vintage Masters on Magic Online and then duplicated them in paper.

So that's kind of non-committal.

But another question was like this:

quote:

Were the vintage masters cards created on cardboard, or regular paper?

They were normal Magic cards.

Which still doesn't answer the question. I asked him directly, but I'm still waiting on an answer.

VV: I might be wrong on what I said. Also I missed the VMA draft stuff, so I don't know if anything relevant was shown/said. Checking YouTube now, some vids are up.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 2, 2014

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Serperoth posted:

They definitely aren't. The VMA packs were made just for the event, by making VMA packs on MODO and printing them out. Proxies, essentially. :v:

Did they actually make them look good or was it literally just modo (i.e. lovely) graphics printed straight out?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
They used real goddamn cards, why are you guys being dense about this?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Some cardboard investor is going to get really upset that wizards printed one more copy of his favorite cards - he was going to pay for college with them!

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Toshimo posted:

Specifically, one of the articles on the coverage page talked about how they reached out to collectors in order to borrow some of the cards as they needed them all to be in good condition & the exact same printing/art. They are existing cards from people's collections, not a whole new printing.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Exciting judge call between Martell/Jensen. Tom looked utterly resigned at the end there, and Huey looked like he was about to leap across the table and strangle Tom if the call had gone the other way after meticulously explaining what had happened.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Toshimo posted:

Signs point to this, video is showing old frames and black borders, so I suppose they tapped into their vault. My bad people, I figured printing a few gold borders would be the simpler solution.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Exciting judge call between Martell/Jensen. Tom looked utterly resigned at the end there, and Huey looked like he was about to leap across the table and strangle Tom if the call had gone the other way after meticulously explaining what had happened.

The judge call didn't matter anyway since Tom had already punted, though.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Toshimo posted:

I hate to agree with the white mage bee guy, but "they were normal Magic Cards" is pretty goddamn clear you guys.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Here's the article in question, it's a good read.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Toshimo posted:

The judge call didn't matter anyway since Tom had already punted, though.

I stepped away for a second at the beginning of the turn and came back right as Huey was saying "but you said resolved". What was the punt?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I stepped away for a second at the beginning of the turn and came back right as Huey was saying "but you said resolved". What was the punt?

Huey used his only red mana to Manamorphose (which was copied by Ascension). The correct play was to double remand both Manamorphose and then Huey would be stuck unable to recast it (or anything else) that turn. Then untap and win.

Instead he Wear/Tear the Ascension and lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

I still say they should have had an artist alter the cards that would have been "foil" online (and don't exist in that format IRL) with gold/silver pens to bling them out.

• Locked thread