Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So are there new deals in 40 minutes, with today being the last day of sales, or does everything end in 40 minutes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Daily Forecast posted:

So are there new deals in 40 minutes, with today being the last day of sales, or does everything end in 40 minutes?
Everything most likely ends in 40 minutes. Sometimes they'll extend yesterday's deals by another 24 hours if they're nice.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Quest For Glory II posted:

Everything most likely ends in 40 minutes. Sometimes they'll extend yesterday's deals by another 24 hours if they're nice.

Man. I didn't buy a single game during this sale, and no it's not because I already had everything. This sale felt pretty weak.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I probably didn't get the Director's Cut of Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall by Kickstarting Shadowrun Returns, right? I'll be honest, I haven't redeemed everything they sent out, so I'm not sure if I already own that or not. It sounds worth owning though.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

odiv posted:

I probably didn't get the Director's Cut of Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall by Kickstarting Shadowrun Returns, right? I'll be honest, I haven't redeemed everything they sent out, so I'm not sure if I already own that or not. It sounds worth owning though.

YOu do get it for free if you already own the original Dragonfall. And I believe OGDragonfall came free when you kickstarted the main game - because it was a game split in two since they couldn't make berlin in time of the set release, essentially.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Daily Forecast posted:

Man. I didn't buy a single game during this sale, and no it's not because I already had everything. This sale felt pretty weak.
You need to love video games harder my friend.

I personally only spent $20-25 and got Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Shadow Warrior, Hatoful Boyfriend, Law & Order Legacies, and Outlast: Whistleblower. I passed on Analog a Hate Story only because I know it's been cheaper in other sales. And Dragonfall could be cheaper in the future.

Still disappointed Trials in the Sky had no sale.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Drifter posted:

YOu do get it for free if you already own the original Dragonfall.
Oh, nice! That's pretty great of them.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Quest For Glory II posted:

Still disappointed Trials in the Sky had no sale.

Xseed are usually great with sales so they're probably waiting until Xmas.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Daily Forecast posted:

It's a thanksgiving sale which are usually small. What do you expect? Christmas one is a month away and gunna be 5x as big.

Even then, there were a A LOT of surprising good deals this week. Some have been the cheapest they've ever been; some may be the same during the sale to come but won't be cheaper. (Anno 1404 Gold for $4.85, Van Helsing 2 for $4, Alien: Isolation for $16, Gaunlet for $5.5, Teslagrad for $3.50, and so on). Not to go all ~my haul~ but I did grab about 10 games which I didn't expect to and I know it's not likely I'll save a single dime on them next month.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 2, 2014

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
gently caress, I should've picked up The Saboteur from Origin while I had a chance. Kept telling myself I'd buy it later. :negative:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Shadow Warrior was -90%, that was a pretty good deal. It is giving me some issues where it crashes on startup, same thing that happens with Hard Reset. Flying Hog or whatever why do you make such unstable games that I still want to play :(

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

gently caress, I should've picked up The Saboteur from Origin while I had a chance. Kept telling myself I'd buy it later. :negative:

How much do you want it? I have it on disc. :getin:

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Daily Forecast posted:

I bought Saints Row 4 with all DLC for $7.49. Non-weak.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Daily Forecast posted:

Every... single... sale...

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

gigawhite posted:

Every... single... sale...

There's no time like the first time.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Back in the day I would think "Oh wow, Eidos' entire catalogue for under $100!"

Now it's, "Transistor is $10? Eh, I'll wait for $5."

Having all these games and realizing I'll never play half of them has certainly put a damper on my spending.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Xaris posted:

It's a thanksgiving sale which are usually small. What do you expect? Christmas one is a month away and gunna be 5x as big.

Even then, there were a A LOT of surprising good deals this week. Some have been the cheapest they've ever been; some may be the same during the sale to come but won't be cheaper. (Anno 1404 Gold for $4.85, Van Helsing 2 for $4, Alien: Isolation for $16, Gaunlet for $5.5, Teslagrad for $3.50, and so on). Not to go all ~my haul~ but I did grab about 10 games which I didn't expect to and I know it's not likely I'll save a single dime on them next month.

There were some pretty great deals on the other sites too. I grabbed Lords of the Fallen off of Bundlestars for like $22, and some great stuff off of Nuuvem (Brave New World, Warlock 2, GTA 4 Complete, MGR, Lego Batman 2) for $33 canadian. Upgrading Saints Row 4 to the GOTY for $2.50 on Steam was pretty good too.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Drifter posted:

There's no time like the first time.

Been using Steam since it was still green and grey and everybody hated it, so it's not that.

I guess just nothing I was even remotely interested in went on sale!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

odiv posted:

Back in the day I would think "Oh wow, Eidos' entire catalogue for under $100!"

Now it's, "Transistor is $10? Eh, I'll wait for $5."

Having all these games and realizing I'll never play half of them has certainly put a damper on my spending.
Meanwhile I beat a lot of games and so I'm always looking for more!

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah, it's probably more of a life stage thing than a general trend in gaming, but for me time is definitely the limiting factor. It took me a lot of Steam, GoG, and Humble sales to realize this though so I probably have enough games to last me the rest of my life.

...Well that's depressing.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It's the 90s and there is always time for more sales:

Red Faction Guerilla $2.99
Red Faction Armageddon $2.99
Legend of Korra $10.04

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I put $25 in my steam wallet on Day 1 and got a whole bunch of awesome games for next to nothing (bought 3 copies of Defy Gravity for future gifting) and then on the last day with $1.10 in my wallet still broke down and got Alien. T'was a good sale.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

odiv posted:

Yeah, it's probably more of a life stage thing than a general trend in gaming, but for me time is definitely the limiting factor. It took me a lot of Steam, GoG, and Humble sales to realize this though so I probably have enough games to last me the rest of my life.

The way I view it is I'm building a library that provides me the opportunity to play a large number of games. Will I play them all? Probably not. But I have the opportunity to play so many great games.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

The Saboteur is like the one game I fully recommend playing on consoles. The PC version is super busted for most people.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Been playing Hitman: Absolution. gently caress the haters, I'm having a blast. As long as you make sure you play on Normal first to unlock skills and poo poo, and wear headphones, its great. The sound design and worldbuilding is goddamned incredible, it's a shame the level design doesn't match the same quality. Like half of the random NPCs in the game have backstories and stuff that most people will never, ever see. I was waiting for someone to get into position in the Chinatown level, and overheard some random lady's 5 minute long cell phone conversation about some random poo poo. The attention to detail is really impressive. I know a lot of people hate on the escape scenes, but I'm enjoying ghosting my way out of them. I like that you can play the majority of the game without a single person ever seeing you.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Got a Steam nonsale related question.

I'm in the process of moving my Steam folder to my D: drive, was previously on C drive. I used to use SteamMover. I'm pretty sure I got everything sorted out, backed up my saves using SaveGame Manager just in case, replicated the directory tree for steam on D drive and put the games in the proper place, deleted everything but steamapps and steam.exe, deleted all the symlinks, and now moving it over.

My question is, what about the saves? Do they need to be moved to D drive as well for the games to see them, or will they still look in the usual places? Will they, and future installed games on D drive still put their game saves on C drive?

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Glad that ended, was on the verge of buying the newish splinter cell.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I didn't buy anything this sale... because I figure I can get trading cards if I buy games during the Winter Sale instead. :shobon:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Tanbo posted:

Got a Steam nonsale related question.

I'm in the process of moving my Steam folder to my D: drive, was previously on C drive. I used to use SteamMover. I'm pretty sure I got everything sorted out, backed up my saves using SaveGame Manager just in case, replicated the directory tree for steam on D drive and put the games in the proper place, deleted everything but steamapps and steam.exe, deleted all the symlinks, and now moving it over.

My question is, what about the saves? Do they need to be moved to D drive as well for the games to see them, or will they still look in the usual places? Will they, and future installed games on D drive still put their game saves on C drive?

Everything that existed in your old Steam content folder per the preference setting needs to be under the new Steam content folder that you will change the setting to point to. For some games, this will include the saves, in which case they'll keep working as they were moved along with the rest of the content. For other games, it was saved in your App Data or My Games directories, and those games will keep looking in those directories so they don't have to be moved.

In short, if you did the content move correctly, you should have no issues with your saves.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Goofballs posted:

Glad that ended, was on the verge of buying the newish splinter cell.

If you like stealth games, this game is a good game. If you are at all attached to the character Sam Fisher, this game is going to irritate you. The irritation is mild.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Kragger99 posted:

The way I view it is I'm building a library that provides me the opportunity to play a large number of games. Will I play them all? Probably not. But I have the opportunity to play so many great games.

Pretty much this.

I have the money, and because of sales I spend about as much as if I just bought the new games that I wanted at retail. It's a tradeoff - I have more variety because I'm willing to wait. But I'm more willing to wait because I've got a library of great games to play in the meantime.

Compare this to, for example, my book collection, which is about as big (I've fully read maybe 750 of the ~1400 books I own, started most of the rest, and not touched maybe 100 of them). There I'm equally unlikely to actually read through everything, but when I want to, it's right there. And with a digital library for my games, at least moving is a good sight easier (moving with this many books, and bookcases, is a nightmare).

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

TheNintenGenius posted:

I didn't buy anything this sale... because I figure I can get trading cards if I buy games during the Winter Sale instead. :shobon:

?? It doesn't matter when/how you buy games, if they have trading cards you'll be able to get them. Whenever I get a new game that has cards I just idle in SAM overnight and wake up to 3-6 new items in my inventory. Sure it's just pocket change at this point, but if the game itself was only a couple of bucks that's still like another 25-33% off :retrogames:

\/\/\/ Oh right, I forgot about cards or other sale-baubles you get for spending hard cash alone, I'm so cheap I rarely get more than one or two that way per Winter sale :shobon:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 2, 2014

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Kragger99 posted:

This is the way to do it. Looking at your gaming library as a big backlog of things to play just seems so goddamn joyless. I buy games that look fun and then when I feel like playing something new (or old) I have a huge rear end collection of things to play. In the mean time, I'll probably be playing a ton of EU4 and Dota 2 and Civ V and that's fine with me too. I don't feel bad about spending a ton of time with really good games instead of burning through an imaginary backlog.

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Takes No Damage posted:

?? It doesn't matter when/how you buy games, if they have trading cards you'll be able to get them. Whenever I get a new game that has cards I just idle in SAM overnight and wake up to 3-6 new items in my inventory. Sure it's just pocket change at this point, but if the game itself was only a couple of bucks that's still like another 25-33% off :retrogames:

He's probably referring to the cards you get from spending during a sale.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Takes No Damage posted:

I think they mean the special cards you get for spending $10 on games during the winter sale.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Looks like the Humble Sega Bundle adds were Viking: Battle of Asgard and Sonic Generations.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

odiv posted:

Kragger99 posted:

"First world problems" aside, I agree so much with these two posts.

Whenever it feels overwhelming, to the point where it becomes depressing, think of it like an opportunity and not an obligation. It's the same way I feel like whenever I'm confronted with anything else our information-society overloads my heart and mind with; so many books I must read, series, movies and shows I must see, and games I must play. Get rid of that must-urbation (hur, hur) mindset and get some strategy for picking out games more or less randomly from that library of yours - like that box of toys or Lego you had when you were a kid. Then focus on just one or two games at a time, forgetting everything else for that day/evening/night.

Watch that depression disappear before your eyes, as you once again start to enjoy your hobby.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So the Steam beta added this nifty feature where you can watch your friend's game.

https://steamcommunity.com/updates/broadcasting

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Collecting games you like is some sort of weird metagame.

Rirse posted:

So the Steam beta added this nifty feature where you can watch your friend's game.

Holy moly that's so loving cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Rirse posted:

Hahaha Twitch just got a knife to the kidneys.

• Locked thread