Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

ActusRhesus posted:

not sure how it's a work around. they had authority to make the arrest. they had authority to take prints. they now have authority to use prints for other issues. in that case, they just lucked out.

Not much different than "cop watches controlled buy. cop has patrol unit follow suspect and wait for a moving violation to pull over suspect and get his ID. cop now knows name of suspect."

Well I may be misunderstanding how you're using placeholder, but if you're using a violation to get information that you couldn't get probable cause for the actual reason you want it, that seems like a workaround - I mean, if they just luck out they just luck out, but if hunting for a violation is a pretext for a suspicion they can't get to a level where they could get the information for that crime, that's a gray area for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

ActusRhesus posted:

(PS...per state law, a PD in CT gets EXACTLY the same pay as a prosecutor of commensurate seniority. So if we're just all out of touch rich people...)

You don't have to be stinkin' rich to be out of touch. If you have always lived in the middle middle class, you simply may have never been exposed to anything comparable to the sort of thing people with little means have.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

The Warszawa posted:

Well this is the thing - the people who are arrested and prosecuted are flouting the law to the same extent and with the same knowledge as their peers who are not arrested or prosecuted or are just told "put it out"/"throw it away"/whatever (I am obviously a huge square in this department). If both groups are at fault for the consequences they experience, it stands to reason that they are fully blameworthy in spite of the difference of their consequences. If the former group bears responsibility for the consequences of being arrested and prosecuted - the life-ruining aspect - they are then blameworthy because of the aspect that results in that consequence.

I'm out of practice on proofs so maybe that doesn't line up, but basically if enforcement is unequal you can't really hold the prosecuted fully to blame because there's a population doing the same drat thing but not getting nailed for it because, well ...

This is a fair point...and why I think all simple possession cases (excluding those that are the result of deals for lesser charges etc. just purely simple possession) should be sent to diversionary programs.

I also don't think most drugs should be illegal at all. Not my cup of tea, but whatever. More crime is due to the drug trade than most other causes.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

The Warszawa posted:

Well I may be misunderstanding how you're using placeholder, but if you're using a violation to get information that you couldn't get probable cause for the actual reason you want it, that seems like a workaround - I mean, if they just luck out they just luck out, but if hunting for a violation is a pretext for a suspicion they can't get to a level where they could get the information for that crime, that's a gray area for me.

I think there's a spectrum. "We're pretty sure that's our guy...oh hey look, he did something illegal, get his prints" doesn't bother me. "maybe that guy has something in his car because he's the wrong skin color. Pull him over for some bullshit and impound his car so we can take an "inventory" of his property" does.

But then I also think SCOTUS was right to say get a drat warrant if you want to look through someone's phone data. Lucking out because a suspect screwed up happens all the time. Circumventing the 4th amendment...yeah, I'm not down with that.

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

ActusRhesus posted:

so your issue seems to be with the laws themselves.

I don't see how one can argue that "prosecutors" ruin lives when all they are doing is enforcing the law as written. Write your legislature if you don't think weed should be illegal. I really don't care if it is or isn't.

Because prosecutors as a whole disproportionately enforce those laws based on the skin color of the defendants. I'm sure you'll point out that you're not racist, and neither are any of your coworkers, but the outcome of your collective efforts is demonstrably, undeniably, racist.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

CheesyDog posted:

I'm not seeing an answer

You're an idiot, thats more of an answer then that question deserves.

The Warszawa posted:

Well this is the thing - the people who are arrested and prosecuted are flouting the law to the same extent and with the same knowledge as their peers who are not arrested or prosecuted or are just told "put it out"/"throw it away"/whatever (I am obviously a huge square in this department). If both groups are at fault for the consequences they experience, it stands to reason that they are fully blameworthy in spite of the difference of their consequences. If the former group bears responsibility for the consequences of being arrested and prosecuted - the life-ruining aspect - they are then blameworthy because of the aspect that results in that consequence.

I'm out of practice on proofs so maybe that doesn't line up, but basically if enforcement is unequal you can't really hold the prosecuted fully to blame because there's a population doing the same drat thing but not getting nailed for it because, well ...

I can really only see that as a moral argument if the case is that the unequal treatment of the less prosecuted group caused the more prosecuted group to have a false expectation that there were no consequences for the act. In this case I think instead of relieving of the more prosecuted group of responsibility in this case it just makes the fact that certain groups are getting away with flouting the law more reprehensible because they're breaking the law then relying on privileged status to get away with that.

If that makes sense.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ActusRhesus posted:

I think there's a spectrum. "We're pretty sure that's our guy...oh hey look, he did something illegal, get his prints" doesn't bother me. "maybe that guy has something in his car because he's the wrong skin color. Pull him over for some bullshit and impound his car so we can take an "inventory" of his property" does.

The effect is pretty similar because "we're pretty sure that's our guy" is literally biased policing in practice. Cops are "pretty sure" every black male between 14 and 40 is "their guy" if they see him walking down the street:

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Dum Cumpster posted:

How is people people in jail for smoking weed helping society?

Doesn't, should be legalized

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

SedanChair posted:

The effect is pretty similar because "we're pretty sure that's our guy" is literally biased policing in practice. Cops are "pretty sure" every black male between 14 and 40 is "their guy" if they see him walking down the street:

the fact pattern I gave was from an actual case. If a witness describes a particular suspect, height, weight, race, hair length etc., should that be ignored in the name of equality?

I know the victim clearly said "latino" but let's arrest a black and a white guy too. we can have a united colors of beneton add as our photo array!

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Jarmak posted:

Doesn't, should be legalized

Then I really don't understand your reply to SedanChair.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

captainblastum posted:

Because prosecutors as a whole disproportionately enforce those laws based on the skin color of the defendants. I'm sure you'll point out that you're not racist, and neither are any of your coworkers, but the outcome of your collective efforts is demonstrably, undeniably, racist.

so which of my murder cases should I have *not* prosecuted, and which white murderers were given a pass?

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jarmak posted:

How so? Can you acknowledge that those who followed escaped slave laws were ruining lives?

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Jarmak posted:

I can really only see that as a moral argument if the case is that the unequal treatment of the less prosecuted group caused the more prosecuted group to have a false expectation that there were no consequences for the act. In this case I think instead of relieving of the more prosecuted group of responsibility in this case it just makes the fact that certain groups are getting away with flouting the law more reprehensible because they're breaking the law then relying on privileged status to get away with that.

If that makes sense.

I'm not trying to play gotcha, I just want to make sure I'm understanding: the more prosecuted group is blameworthy for the greater consequences as the less prosecuted group is, provided that the more prosecuted is aware of the discrepancy in treatment?

ActusRhesus posted:

the fact pattern I gave was from an actual case. If a witness describes a particular suspect, height, weight, race, hair length etc., should that be ignored in the name of equality?

I know the victim clearly said "latino" but let's arrest a black and a white guy too. we can have a united colors of beneton add as our photo array!

Actually a description of "Latino" encompasses virtually every racial phenotype there is so we pretty much should have a United Colors of Beneton photo array because Yasiel Puig, Melissa Fumero, Andy Garcia and motherfuckin' Pitbull look nothing alike but they're not just latino their national origin is the same country.

:eng101:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Dum Cumpster posted:

Just world fallacy.

ActusRhesus posted:

Sure, height, weight, race. Height, weight, race. Height, weight, race. Height, weight, race, over and over again, in a vaccuum, no sense looking at the stats for harrassment of innocent black males. Height, weight, race.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

The Warszawa posted:

I'm not trying to play gotcha, I just want to make sure I'm understanding: the more prosecuted group is blameworthy for the greater consequences as the less prosecuted group is, provided that the more prosecuted is aware of the discrepancy in treatment?

Actually a description of "Latino" encompasses virtually every racial phenotype there is so we pretty much should have a United Colors of Beneton photo array because Yasiel Puig, Melissa Fumero, Andy Garcia and motherfuckin' Pitbull look nothing alike but they're not just latino their national origin is the same country.

:eng101:

fair point. I oversimplified somewhat, but you know what I was getting at. And that can be true of a lot of descriptions. Best testimony ever:

Defense counsel: You say it was my client, but in your statement to the police, you said the shooter "might" have been black. So clearly you weren't sure then, were you.

Witness: No. It's him.

Defense counsel: Well you weren't sure then.

Witness: Yes I was.

Defense Counsel: But you said he "might" be black.

Witness: Yes. We black people come in all shades. So I don't know if he was "black" or not. But I know that's him.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Dum Cumpster posted:

I actually try to think of the consequences of the mechanisms through which I obtain a desired outcome rather than just the outcome and what other results those mechanisms produce when applied to other situations.

"I don't like this law so we should ignore it" is not a good mechanism and can produce lots of bad results.

There's obviously times when laws are immoral to the point where disobeying them is the correct course of action, "bad policy" is not the breaking point there.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

ActusRhesus posted:

fair point. I oversimplified somewhat, but you know what I was getting at. And that can be true of a lot of descriptions. Best testimony ever:

Defense counsel: You say it was my client, but in your statement to the police, you said the shooter "might" have been black. So clearly you weren't sure then, were you.

Witness: No. It's him.

Defense counsel: Well you weren't sure then.

Witness: Yes I was.

Defense Counsel: But you said he "might" be black.

Witness: Yes. We black people come in all shades. So I don't know if he was "black" or not. But I know that's him.

Yeah as a strict tactical consideration asking about race is asking for trouble.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

SedanChair posted:

Just world fallacy.

Sure, height, weight, race. Height, weight, race. Height, weight, race. Height, weight, race, over and over again, in a vaccuum, no sense looking at the stats for harrassment of innocent black males. Height, weight, race.

hey, you know if someone called in a robbery and described a 5'6" black haired latina or middle eastern woman, and I was walking nearby I'd get stopped too, and I'm neither of the above...but close enough to be mistaken. Stopping someone who fits the actual description of a suspect for a crime in that particular area is not harassment.

Stopping someone for no goddamn reason is. Now, you will have a lot more luck changing the latter, which I think we can agree is hosed up, if you stop trying to insist that the former is also wrong.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Dum Cumpster posted:

This issue reminds me of the Heinz Problem, which is basically, "Dude steal medicine for wife. He can't afford it and the druggist is charging 10x cost." There's no wrong answer. Answers are merely rated according to what kind of moral reasoning is used.

As pertains to this, it sounds like Jarmok and SedanChair (and you) just differ on the degree to which Stage 4 (law-and-order) is superseded by Stage 5 (human rights) or Stage 6 (universal human ethics) on this issue.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 2, 2014

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

The Warszawa posted:

Yes, assuming the greater consequences are actually in keeping with the law.

The second group getting away with flouting the law due to privileged status is the actual problem that should be addressed.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Jarmak posted:

The second group getting away with flouting the law due to privileged status is the actual problem that should be addressed.

Well because of the discretion afforded to cops, prosecutors and judges, both outcomes are well in keeping with the law. Very rarely does a kid straight up say "do you know who my daddy is?" - there are just assumptions both conscious and unconscious that guide the decisionmaking process. There are different perceptions of behavior as compliance or noncompliance based on these assumptions, and that affects things too.

The problem is that when we put the onus on the individuals to account for this in their decisionmaking, we are effectively saying "okay, we are legitimizing that you have to be twice as good and will still be held to account for only getting half as far. Systemic inequity is Your Problem." I'm not sure what the system can do to account for this on a case by case basis - you can't just put up all the cases with a black defendant and all the cases with a white defendant and start dismissing black defendant cases until the numbers even out - but we really have to avoid translating an unfortunate reality into an ethical principle.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

ActusRhesus posted:

Honest Answer: none. Here's the rundown of my cases this year:

1. DUI 2. Rape of a minor 3. Stabbing 4. Serial Home Invasion Rape 5. Rape of a Minor 6. Murder 7. Murder 8. Armed Robbery 9. Conspiracy/Murder 10. Murder 11. Murder 12. Armed Robbery 13. Murder 14. Operating a Drug Factory/Conspiracy 15. armed Robbery 16. Armed Robbery 17. Felony Murder 18. Attempted Murder/Kidnapping. I'm sure I'm forgetting at least one or 2 murders.

So which of these lives have I ruined?

Do you get all the big crimes in your district or is this only a list of your cases that are actually going to trial?

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Jarmak posted:

I usually see people saying the solution to disparity in the legal system is to stop the counterproductive and disproportionate punishment of less privileged people instead of throwing the book at white people (or cops, or whoever) for the same crime.

Regardless, people don't make decisions rationally all the time, and it's profoundly stupid to just say they deserved it when they get punished for a crime that only has victims due to bad laws.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

DARPA posted:

Do you get all the big crimes in your district or is this only a list of your cases that are actually going to trial?

no. we just have a lot of murders. It's pretty much all gunshots all the time. I do primarily appellate work, so a lot of these are older cases that are working their way through the habeas and appellate system.

The 2 cases I was involved with at the trial level were a murder and the drug factory one.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

The Warszawa posted:

Well because of the discretion afforded to cops, prosecutors and judges, both outcomes are well in keeping with the law. Very rarely does a kid straight up say "do you know who my daddy is?" - there are just assumptions both conscious and unconscious that guide the decisionmaking process. There are different perceptions of behavior as compliance or noncompliance based on these assumptions, and that affects things too.

The problem is that when we put the onus on the individuals to account for this in their decisionmaking, we are effectively saying "okay, we are legitimizing that you have to be twice as good and will still be held to account for only getting half as far. Systemic inequity is Your Problem." I'm not sure what the system can do to account for this on a case by case basis - you can't just put up all the cases with a black defendant and all the cases with a white defendant and start dismissing black defendant cases until the numbers even out - but we really have to avoid translating an unfortunate reality into an ethical principle.

Ahh, I think I see your point more clearly now, I was translating your earlier post mostly into a objection based on the principle of the law being predictable.

That problem exists for all laws though, and I think speaks more to the ugly side of discretion then it does with the ethical considerations of enforcing specifically drug laws.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

ActusRhesus posted:

so your issue seems to be with the laws themselves.

I don't see how one can argue that "prosecutors" ruin lives when all they are doing is enforcing the law as written. Write your legislature if you don't think weed should be illegal. I really don't care if it is or isn't.

You weren't drafted hoss. You do this of your own will. Your (read: prosecutors) enforcement of unjust laws is assent and complicity in unjust laws. Men (and to a lesser extent, women) are sent to prison for non-violent (or even some minor violent ones, such as some cases of assault & battery) crimes, and are unemployable for the rest of their lives. Their lives are over.

You can all jeer at them, and "nyah nyah, you did it to yourself" all you want, but it doesn't make it right. People make mistakes, and the only difference between you and a first time offender, is opportunity and circumstance.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

ActusRhesus posted:

no. we just have a lot of murders. It's pretty much all gunshots all the time. I do primarily appellate work, so a lot of these are older cases that are working their way through the habeas and appellate system.

The 2 cases I was involved with at the trial level were a murder and the drug factory one.
You could have acknowledged the fact that your job filters out people too poor to appeal or had to plead to lesser sentences for reduced jail time when trying to claim the system isn't destroying their lives.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

The Warszawa posted:

I'd think it'd be a little more than a gray area for me, considering that those kinds of workarounds are how we got parallel construction. Not that I'm trying to argue with you (far from it), just pointing out the greater cost of "use violation X to gain evidence for Y".

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

DARPA posted:

You could have acknowledged the fact that your job filters out people too poor to appeal or had to plead to lesser sentences for reduced jail time when trying to claim the system isn't destroying their lives.

our state has a right to appeal, which includes a right to appointed counsel. no one is "too poor to appeal."

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Talmonis posted:

You weren't drafted hoss. You do this of your own will. Your (read: prosecutors) enforcement of unjust laws is assent and complicity in unjust laws. Men (and to a lesser extent, women) are sent to prison for non-violent (or even some minor violent ones, such as some cases of assault & battery) crimes, and are unemployable for the rest of their lives. Their lives are over.

OMG I COMMITTED AN ASSAULT AND WAS HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR MY ACTIONS. MY LIFE IS OVER!!!!!!!

Also...unjust...I don't think that word means what you think it does. I think weed being illegal is foolish. But it's not "unjust."

So...non-violent crimes don't count? How do you feel about Jeff Skilling?

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

ActusRhesus posted:

OMG I COMMITTED AN ASSAULT AND WAS HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR MY ACTIONS. MY LIFE IS OVER!!!!!!!

Surely getting in a fist fight should mean the end of your livlihood. Surely.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Talmonis posted:

Surely getting in a fist fight should mean the end of your livlihood. Surely.

I suppose he should get...what? A hug and a cookie?

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

ActusRhesus posted:

Thank you for continuing to demonstrate why people see your kind as monstrous.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Talmonis posted:

Thank you for continuing to demonstrate why people see your kind as monstrous.

so we've gone from "don't punish people for weed" to "don't punish people for assault, either".

what's next?

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

I'd think it'd be a little more than a gray area for me, considering that those kinds of workarounds are how we got parallel construction. Not that I'm trying to argue with you (far from it), just pointing out the greater cost of "use violation X to gain evidence for Y".

You should definitely feel free to argue with me or anyone else about it because this is not well-charted territory and also everyone has a stake in what the law is and what the law should be from a policy perspective. It's a gray area for me because I'm not sure how we actually establish what is "oh poo poo we got lucky when running this guy's prints" and "we were using this as a pretext to get at his poo poo," because extensive documentation of investigatory decisionmaking isn't always available and may not be feasible - I mean down to the detail of "we then decided to charge him with X and here is a comprehensive list of everyone who knew that he was suspected for crime Y at the time the decision to charge on X was made."

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
Not sending people to prison and not punishing (glad to see your aims in law laid bare here :allears:) them are two different things. There are plenty of other means to rehabilitate people who make mistakes.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

ActusRhesus posted:

so we've gone from "don't punish people for weed" to "don't punish people for assault, either".

what's next?

Why are you being disingenuous? He never at any point said or implied there should be no punishment for assault.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

The Warszawa posted:

You should definitely feel free to argue with me or anyone else about it because this is not well-charted territory and also everyone has a stake in what the law is and what the law should be from a policy perspective. It's a gray area for me because I'm not sure how we actually establish what is "oh poo poo we got lucky when running this guy's prints" and "we were using this as a pretext to get at his poo poo," because extensive documentation of investigatory decisionmaking isn't always available and may not be feasible - I mean down to the detail of "we then decided to charge him with X and here is a comprehensive list of everyone who knew that he was suspected for crime Y at the time the decision to charge on X was made."

It's certainly a valid concern, and discussing how to strike the balance between the need to recognize that law enforcement needs to be able to...you know...investigate and the need to respect the constitution is a much more worthwhile way to discuss possible police reform than what's going on in this thread generally.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Talmonis posted:

Not sending people to prison and not punishing (glad to see your aims in law laid bare here :allears:) them are two different things. There are plenty of other means to rehabilitate people who make mistakes.

Assault is a mistake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

ActusRhesus posted:

Yes, surely there is no middle ground between complete destruction of your future prospects, and having everything be all smiles.

• Locked thread