Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Regnevelc posted:

A buddy of mine knows folks up in the Michigan AD and such and said that he just heard that Nuss will be named Interim Head Coach.

Looks like I'm about to find out how good his sources are.

My sources tell me the same thing.

Also, everyone still says Harbaugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Regnevelc posted:

Dogg - What actions does the HC need to do when not going to a bowl game?

Give a face to the program, assure recruits and their families that the program isn't burning to the ground. Give current players someone they can communicate with without feeling abandoned.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Thanks Dogg.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Ayup, anytime.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Appropriately, Rich Rodriguez was named Pac-12 Coach of the Year today.

:sigh:

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Bo Pelini needs to win Big 10 coach of the year

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Michigan Daily sports reporter reporting that some other dude is reporting that Hoke has been fired.

:v:

quote:

Sam Webb
‏@SamWebb77
Source has confirmed that Brady Hoke has been fired from post as #Michigan's head football coach. Team to be briefed during 3pm meeting

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Double post.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bruce Feldman saying the same.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Yeah my source said the same thing, also my source is literally me spending half a second thinking about it.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
It feel like this is the exact situation when Hoke was hired. It's going to be funny when Michigan has to settle for their 4th or 5th choice.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Jim Harbaugh
John Harbaugh
Jack Harbaugh

Jay Harbaugh

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
What's Armanti Edwards up to these days? Can't beat em, hire em!

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Jim Harbaugh
John Harbaugh
Jack Harbaugh

Jay Harbaugh

Don't forget Grandma Harbaugh 5th. She coaches a mean Thanksgiving day game.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Crossposting:

Benne posted:

Bruce Feldman ‏@BruceFeldmanCFB 32s33 seconds ago

On the #Michigan coaching search: UM tried to hire Greg Schiano 6 yrs ago. I could see them giving him a close look again.

:getin:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Free Press is reporting Hoke has been fired.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

So if RichRod's awful experience at UM was his own making, what changed between then and now at 'zona?

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
SBNation's saying they're scared of asking Les Miles because they're afraid of looking like a has-been program when he says no

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I can confirm that Brady Hoke has been fired.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
John U Bacon just confirmed that David Brandon has been fired

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Alouicious posted:

So if RichRod's awful experience at UM was his own making, what changed between then and now at 'zona?

Arizona has an AD that doesn't suck, and the former coach isn't trying to actively undermine him.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Alouicious posted:

It wasn't all his own making, but the biggest change is that he actually has a coordinator who knows how to run his preferred defensive system (3-3-5) now. In his defense, he did want to bring that coordinator to Michigan with him, but when he wasn't allowed to instead of being flexible on that side of the ball and giving his coordinator the autonomy to run his own system, he kept stubbornly jamming a square peg into a round hole by forcing guys who had no experience with that type of defense to run to. He's undisputedly a very good offensive coach and his offenses at Michigan were always good, but his defenses were horrendous and completely sank the team.

His other big mistake at Michigan was the way he recruited on the offensive line, and it's probably still too early to say whether or not he's learned from that at Arizona.

I'd never say it was all on RichRod, but this idea that he was doing a great job and got undermined by Michigan at every turn is wrong, I think. Carr and Carr loyalists did hate him from the very start and made things harder than they should have been, but he made a lot of legitimate mistakes on his own. At the time no one really questioned firing him too much, it only looks silly in hindsight because he's done well at Arizona and Michigan hired a much worse coach to replace him.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 2, 2014

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Alouicious posted:

His biggest problem was being sabotaged at every turn by the Lloyd Carr posse. He made mistakes, but they would have been smoothed over as growing pains if he'd had the full support of the department.

The biggest thing he seems to have learned is the importance of winning early. His history had been scrapping everything when he came in and starting over with his system. It meant that his first season was inevitably a disaster, and then steady improvement until by year 4 or 5 he was kicking butt.

His disastrous first season at Michigan, combined with the overt hostility from within the department, meant he was dead from the start.

At Arizona, he instead built on what the players already knew and was willing to ease his stuff in more slowly. It has worked out much better for him as a result.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Rich Rodriguez did not do a good job at Michigan, a lot of this was his own fault but it certainly doesn't help when the former coach that everyone in the department idolizes actively tries to submarine your team. Sometimes there are multiple people to blame.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Alouicious posted:

The big differences are that the previous staff (Mike Stoops) didn't try and convince players to transfer out. They also gave him a huge budget for assistants at Arizona, which is why the staff is basically RichRod's old West Virginia staff. Turns out the defensive staff was really loving good.

RichRod's mistakes at Michigan included trying to run the option with statuesque Michgian Man QBs (he clearly learned from that and just goes with the best QB, calling plays based on his strength; Solomon can run, but he is not Pat White or Denard Robinson at all and is 9th in passing yards with a 27:7 ratio), insisting that his defensive coordinators run the 3-3-5 (which not all coaches really know how to do as a base defense; RichRod likes the scheme, but it takes someone like Casteel or Rocky Long to make it work well), and being largely inflexible. It seems that he's happy now that he has Casteel as DC, and the offense, while it looks like RichRod's offense, is rather pass-heavy compared to Michigan or West Virigina. This may be because Arizona is really deep at receiver, but a lot of the talent is young, so that looks to be the way things will continue.

MourningView posted:

His other big mistake at Michigan was the way he recruited on the offensive line, and it's probably still too early to say whether or not he's learned from that at Arizona.
We'll see next year. It's a really solid veteran line now, but they were all recruited under Stoops, and those O-lines were always good. I've no doubt he's learned, given how the offense has looked from year to year, so I'm really hopeful that since they've recruited remarkably well at all other positions the O-line won't be an issue going forward.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Rich inherited a hell of a quarterback in Matt Scott as well when he first came in. Kid was basically tailor-made for Rich's offense.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Rich inherited a hell of a quarterback in uh, Nick Sheridan and Steven Threeyeah you know what nevermind.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

It's kinda horrifying to me to hear espn talk about rich rod as the top candidate for Florida. Back up the loving dump truck of money Byrne. It's nice having a football program I don't have to be ashamed of.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Rich inherited a hell of a quarterback in uh, Nick Sheridan and Steven Threeyeah you know what nevermind.

I kinda wonder what Threet would have been if he hadn't busted up both shoulders as part of Rich's ill-fated experiment to discover what it would have been like to see John Navarre run the option.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 2, 2014

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Presser live here: http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2014/12/live_video_michigan_interim_ad.html

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008

MourningView posted:

I kinda wonder what Threet would have been if he hadn't busted up both shoulders as part of Rich's ill-fated experiment to discover what it would have been like to see John Navarre run the option.

I think Threet could have been a pretty good dude, and poo poo he looked pretty decent for ASU too until his brain looked like mashed taters.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
The interim AD really doesn't get sports does he. Like this is pretty bad.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Detroit_Dogg posted:

The interim AD really doesn't get sports does he. Like this is pretty bad.

On the other hand he just said he wants to get rid of the word 'Michigan Man'

so he's awesome imo

Apples McGrind
Oct 13, 2013

Marquis de Pyro posted:

On the other hand he just said he wants to get rid of the word 'Michigan Man'

so he's awesome imo

Yeah, but lol at "Brady Hoke is a hero!"

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I wonder if they could get Tom Brady to coach Michigan, like for 2015.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Turns out the defensive staff was really loving good.

I watched them for years and they really weren't.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bip Roberts posted:

I wonder if they could get Tom Brady to coach Michigan, like for 2015.

All he knows is the best chicken wings in Ann Arbor.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I want Charles Woodson on staff the second he retires.

His position can be "Charles Woodson." I don't care. He needs to be on the sideline and on the recruiting trail.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Neodoomium posted:

I want Charles Woodson on staff the second he retires.

His position can be "Charles Woodson." I don't care. He needs to be on the sideline and on the recruiting trail.

Throw in promotional things for Mott, and he's in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

AsInHowe posted:

Throw in promotional things for Mott, and he's in.

'Mott's Presents Charles Woodson's Defensive Backs Coach' Charles Woodson

• Locked thread