Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

Razor Jacksuit posted:

Where you at?

What I'm really looking for is some goon to buy the BA half off me, preferably in the LA area to save my lazy rear end a trip to the post office.

But perhaps I should just double my Tyranid pleasure?

SpikeMcclane posted:

This is a thing I am wanting to do. Twice even.

Cool, I'll hit you guys up when I actually get my hands on the goods. I am sure we come to a mutually beneficial arrangement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

It is a prestige model for the company as much as the consumer. They have the rights and they know that there are people who will spend that much for a GW Smaug. It is exactly the same motivation as when they made a metal Thunderhawk for $649.99 back in 1997, except this time they have a larger potential market and a smaller window in which to capitalise.

As for the pose, which we've seen one lovely picture of, I think it's fine. It's an iconic scene which suits the practicalities of making a really big resin model.

You're right on all points but did you really just use the word, "consumer" unironically?

Cooked Auto posted:

Maybe I should start playing the smaller scale Inquisitor because I've pretty much got the start of a retinue after digging through my bitz box today.

Do that. The Stormtrooper head does look great on the Space Marine body, but if you're trying to convey that he's human use the smallest bits you have. Coteaz's thunder hammer is ideal because it's much smaller, and I dare say I would use a laspistol or a boltpistol ripped from an Imperial Guard model just to get the proper scale on the weapon. There's a teeny tiny stormbolter model out there somewhere but I forget from what miniature (bashing two large bolt pistols looks good, for my tastes).

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 2, 2014

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The problem thus being finding a model that can equip two pistols, which is what I believe he was referring to. There aren't many I can think of offhand, outside of a select few special characters like Cypher and Creed.

I can't speak for other codices but I'm pretty sure CSM can just straight up do it on a generic lord or even a unit champion. These models generally start with a bolt pistol and CCW, so just buy a plasma pistol replacing the CCW, boom, done.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Slimnoid posted:

Relentless on tac squads with the Dakkabanner would be really killer, except of course you've only got ONE tac squad so it's all but worthless.

Wait what? Relentless only offers rapid fire weapons the 'you can still charge' benefit so I'm not sure how this is a big deal.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Genghis Cohen posted:

Wait what? Relentless only offers rapid fire weapons the 'you can still charge' benefit so I'm not sure how this is a big deal.

The "Dakka banner" makes those rapid fire bolt guns salvo 2/4 bolt guns.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

JerryLee posted:

I can't speak for other codices but I'm pretty sure CSM can just straight up do it on a generic lord or even a unit champion. These models generally start with a bolt pistol and CCW, so just buy a plasma pistol replacing the CCW, boom, done.

BA sergeants (and maybe some other models) can get double infernus or plasma pistols (or a mix) if I remember correctly. I always wanted to model my ASM sergeants with twin pistols to match the special weapons but 30 points is a huge sink on one throwaway model in an already overpriced codex.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

JerryLee posted:

Most codices that have some kind of pistol upgrade for their sergeants (including all of MEQ ones, Imperial Guard, and more) have the option to buy two guns in this fashion. It's generally a pretty poor plan, since you're paying rather a lot of points for not all that much, but it can be amusing (such as the Vanguard Veteran squad with two pairs of Infernus pistols each.)

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

PeterWeller posted:

The "Dakka banner" makes those rapid fire bolt guns salvo 2/4 bolt guns.

Ah, ok. I thought they were just 'double shots'. Yes it is good then, but as he said, only 1 squad benefits.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Post 9-11 User posted:

Do that. The Stormtrooper head does look great on the Space Marine body, but if you're trying to convey that he's human use the smallest bits you have. Coteaz's thunder hammer is ideal because it's much smaller, and I dare say I would use a laspistol or a boltpistol ripped from an Imperial Guard model just to get the proper scale on the weapon. There's a teeny tiny stormbolter model out there somewhere but I forget from what miniature (bashing two large bolt pistols looks good, for my tastes).

Yeah I could probably do that but trying to get ahold of those bitz seems like a real hassle even if the suggestions are sound. The "Inquisitor" is pretty much just GK bitz I got from a friend aside from the Scion head. Might try their arms as well just because of how well the head fits in with the body. Don't really think a standard Cadian Laspistol will look that well on him.

Also kinda disappointed to notice that the Sniper rifle from the Cadian HQ box goes well with one of the Chimera commander heads for a really ridiculous tacticool sniper guy but the problem is that he has to be standing up. Which is kinda boring and I don't have any spare legs of that kind anyway. Unless I get crazy with some tools on the cape. God knows what else I'm gonna use those bitz for anyway.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The problem thus being finding a model that can equip two pistols, which is what I believe he was referring to. There aren't many I can think of offhand, outside of a select few special characters like Cypher and Creed.

John Wooing is the Seraphims schtick for the sisters.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
:siren: :siren:
I have found it.

The ultimate unit that will literally kill anything in the entire game. What is it? It's a 30k Moritat with either bolt pistols or plasma pistols and the Combat Augment Array upgreydd.
code:
Combat Augment Array
- - - - - - - - - -
Once per game every dice you roll for a character counts as a 6.

Chain Fire
- - - - -
Keep rolling additional attacks until you miss (you will never miss with the combat augment array)
Basically he deletes anything within 12 inches of him. Doesn't matter what it is. If it can take a wound in any way, the entire unit it will die after being dealt infinite hits and infinite wounds.

Do I win a prize?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I like the fact that he then deletes himself afterwards, in shame.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Why would anyone allow that within 12 inches of them though? It's a moritat. He basically has to walk to wherever he's going.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Why would anyone allow that within 12 inches of them though? It's a moritat. He basically has to walk to wherever he's going.

Jump pack, so he can deep strike, plus depending on the board, wouldn't be terrible hard to LOS a single model when he can just hop over it next turn.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
He takes 2 toughness tests afterward, which he can probably pass just fine. At 120 points, he is also cheap as dirt. He also has scout. For additional comedy you could buy him a Phase Walker relic that lets him teleport anywhere around the map without scattering.

It almost sounds like I am making this poo poo up, but nope, somebody wrote this in a rulebook.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

Forge World, ladies and gentlemen.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

ban forge world completely

e: we don't need these poorly tested and written rules in our game

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
But no, it's balanced! :(

I've said it many times before and I'll say it again, ForgeWorld makes great models but their rules balance is garbage and the fact that models from their range can be included in normal play can seriously break things.

brb fielding my Malanthrope which is literally more than twice as good as two Venomthropes but also cheaper and has a better save and is also Synapse and also has special rules

ugh

No, seriously I'm fielding a Malanthrope because why would you not?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

i'd just like to add the forge world things seriously breaks the well-balanced and thought out game which is Warhammer 40k, a ruleset which is noted to have had perfect balancing at all times.

i mean have you looked at some of those units? the Valdor Tank Hunter just owns

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

PierreTheMime posted:

But no, it's balanced! :(

I've said it many times before and I'll say it again, ForgeWorld makes great models but their rules balance is garbage and the fact that models from their range can be included in normal play can seriously break things.

brb fielding my Malanthrope which is literally more than twice as good as two Venomthropes but also cheaper and has a better save and is also Synapse and also has special rules

ugh

No, seriously I'm fielding a Malanthrope because why would you not?

But it has fewer attacks than two venomthropes. Clearly not as good.

Brb, gonna finish painting my dimachaeron.

I do love my malanthrope, but they really should be 100 points for what they do. Is best moment was in a game against bid angels. Brother Corbulo and some marines were charged by my malanthrope and a large group of termagants on turn two. The marines and gants killed each other exactly at the end of turn three. Corbulo and the malanthrope stayed in a challenge the entire rest of the game, just helplessly swinging at each other, unable to get wounds through (mostly due to Corbulo being reduced to one attack.)

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
The Valdor looks cool as gently caress and is nowhere near the worst units FW writes rules for, and if anything they put out more stuff that's bad than they do broken stuff.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

Leo Showers posted:

i'd just like to add the forge world things seriously breaks the well-balanced and thought out game which is Warhammer 40k, a ruleset which is noted to have had perfect balancing at all times.

Taking a game with problems and making it worse isn't really a good thing. Forge World is certainly better than they were, say, a year or two ago in terms of balance, but there's still some pretty grievous offenders running around.

It absolutely baffles me that they don't just literally grab one halfway-competent player to look their rules over before release for free. Most 40K nerds would jump at the chance to effectively be on the design team (even for zero pay) and it would insanely easy to fix stupid stuff like the Hornet's Pulse Lasers or the Manta's Ordnance Weapons or references to Panic tests and Cumbersome weapons. The only plausible explanation is that they simply don't give a poo poo and don't consider rules balance for their game to be a relevant part of their job.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

At the end of the day, both players are agreeing to play a certain ruleset with little men/women. No-one is forcing you to play with/against Forge World units, and back when I played more most people were really cool about it. The people who just rejected it offhand "because it's forgeworld and therefore broken" aren't really worth playing anyway

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Leo Showers posted:

At the end of the day, both players are agreeing to play a certain ruleset with little men/women. No-one is forcing you to play with/against Forge World units, and back when I played more most people were really cool about it. The people who just rejected it offhand "because it's forgeworld and therefore broken" aren't really worth playing anyway

This.

My group fully has embraced FW and we have amazingly fun games. I've said it before and I'll say it again - it's all about the discussion ahead of time. I'm not going to sit here and say 40k is balanced. It clearly isn't. But if you want to have the most fun you can with this rule set, you just have a discussion ahead of time with your opponents. If you don't want to do that.. I would (unfortunately) just suggest trying another game.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

Sure, but that's a different animal than playing at a tournament or other event where you don't really have the option of just refusing to play your opponent. FW has always been present in casual play and that's more or less where it's always been aimed (hence the caveats at the beginning of most of the Imperial Armour books), but there's been a push to include in other games as well, which is typically where the problems crop up.

Also, not to get super-prickly, but "play the game the way I want to play it or leave" is a really offensive thing to say. Certainly social contract is part of the game and all, but that occurs on lots of different levels and lots of different ways, and telling someone that if they don't want to explicitly negotiate all of the rules of the game every time they want to sit down with a stranger and enjoy some toy soldiers is... not great. It's exactly that idea of "if you aren't doing it right you need to leave MY HOBBY" that is so damaging to the game and that creates the divide between players.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
So if I want to get into Blood Angels before the new codex and any other new models drop, what should I look into getting?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

AbusePuppy posted:

Also, not to get super-prickly, but "play the game the way I want to play it or leave" is a really offensive thing to say. Certainly social contract is part of the game and all, but that occurs on lots of different levels and lots of different ways, and telling someone that if they don't want to explicitly negotiate all of the rules of the game every time they want to sit down with a stranger and enjoy some toy soldiers is... not great. It's exactly that idea of "if you aren't doing it right you need to leave MY HOBBY" that is so damaging to the game and that creates the divide between players.

lol if this actually offends you

"no you cannot use forgeworld, either play the game I wan't or leave"

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
As someone who uses forgeworld models, I always bring along extra models to change my list if my opponent isn't cool with it. I always try to bring several lists to my FLGS and use the list I think would be fun for my opponent to play against. If some young guy comes in who is clearly new to the game, I'm not going to bust out my tournament list.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Leo Showers posted:

"no you cannot use forgeworld, either play the game I wan't or leave"

I think he meant more the general impression of "my way or the highway" which is so pervasive in nerd hobbies.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

anyway it's not a mega big deal anyway either you are okay with playing with/against forgeworld or you aren't. who cares

e: I'm not losing anything by not playing against people who don't like forgeworld :shrug:

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

Leo Showers posted:

Ghost Hand posted:

I would (unfortunately) just suggest trying another game.

As polite as he was being about it, yes, that's what Ghost Hand said there. And no, it's not about Forge World in particular, but the mindset that many players (of all different stripes) have that their way of playing the game is "right" and if don't subscribe to that, you aren't playing 40K as it's "supposed" to be.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

As fun as this discussion is, when did http://www.games-workshop.com/en-AU/Grey-Knights-Strike-Squad-10 happen?

:eyepop:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Star Man posted:

So if I want to get into Blood Angels before the new codex and any other new models drop, what should I look into getting?

I'm not massively au fait with the Blood Angels but here's what I'd do, assuming you're buying the new BA/'nid box (because it's awesome value for money):

The Death Company are Troops, traditionally Tactical and Assault are also Troops for BA, so one or the other of them. There's a new BA specific Tactical box going up for pre-order on Friday so if you want them I'd say buy a drop pod (heavy flamer, flamer, combi-melta in the pod would be my loadout of choice), or if you want to go assault you should be okay getting them.
The Death Company Dreadnought is also Troops, so you could get by with just him and the DC squad in a pinch.

Depending on whether or not you are going with jump packs on the Death Company, you might want to look at a Rhino for them.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 3, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Well, there is a 'right' way to play. FW produces official supplements to WH40k. You don't get to say 'sorry I don't think Farsight Enclaves should count'. Just because FW is distinct from GW doesn't make it less official.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Depending on whether or not you are going with jump packs on the Death Company, you might want to look at a Rhino for them.

Though you may want to wait for the codex to determine whether or not to run Jump Death Company, since Jump Packs cost Death Company 15 points each right now. I use Death Company kits to have some great looking Assault Marines, myself.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Well, there is a 'right' way to play. FW produces official supplements to WH40k. You don't get to say 'sorry I don't think Farsight Enclaves should count'. Just because FW is distinct from GW doesn't make it less official.

yes

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

AbusePuppy posted:

As polite as he was being about it, yes, that's what Ghost Hand said there. And no, it's not about Forge World in particular, but the mindset that many players (of all different stripes) have that their way of playing the game is "right" and if don't subscribe to that, you aren't playing 40K as it's "supposed" to be.

That's actually not what I intended my message to be...( "Play the game my way or leave")

I actually do NOT think there is a "right" or "wrong" way to play this game. You just decide WHAT type of game YOU want to play.... and hopefully your opponent wants to play the same way. Having that discussion with your opponent in advance will definitely help make the experience better. I'm speaking from experience here with my group. (In the case of tournaments and organized play - you are allowing the TO to basically define that pre-discussion for you. They then tell you how the event will be run and you can choose to either go or not. Vote with your dollars!)

I am actually typically opposed to any definitive statements. In fact it drives me nuts when people say "THIS IS HOW YOU MUST PLAY THE GAME!" No. Absolutely not. Play it how you want. This is actually one of the major tenants of my show. Play that game in a variety of ways. Don't let others dictate what you can and cannot do.

I don't mean to exclude anyone or say "Play it this way or leave". What I AM saying is "There are other games out there that might have what you are looking for if 40k isn't currently fulfilling your requirements." I would honestly prefer more people stay and play 40k. It is after all a pretty darn good community when push comes to shove. But philosophically in life I am opposed to doing anything that doesn't make you happy. It's why I left my previous job! So if it isn't making you happy. Do something that DOES make you happy. Because clearly GW is forging their OWN narrative at this point regardless of player feedback.

That is what I meant by my statement. Sorry if I was unclear or seemed abrasive in my previous one - that was not my intention.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Everybody has to come to terms with the people they play the game with. If you're going to tournaments, you have to play by their rules, no discussion. If you're playing against friends you can very quickly agree upon what is acceptable. The only real grey area would be pick up games at stores and the like, where the combination of informal gaming and unfamiliar players can cause a bit of conflict. And at that point, in my opinion...

gently caress those people.

If you're running one of the new chaos dreadnought builds from IA:13 and some stranger at a board game store refuses to play against it, man, gently caress that dude. On the other hand, if your Astra Militarum gunline army has 20 thudd guns in it, perhaps you should just go gently caress yourself instead.

Or maybe the answer to all of this is just don't be a dick.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

Though you may want to wait for the codex to determine whether or not to run Jump Death Company, since Jump Packs cost Death Company 15 points each right now. I use Death Company kits to have some great looking Assault Marines, myself.

We should know in a couple days, they'll have the new Death Company dataslate in the Shield of Baal box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Reynold posted:

Everybody has to come to terms with the people they play the game with. If you're going to tournaments, you have to play by their rules, no discussion. If you're playing against friends you can very quickly agree upon what is acceptable. The only real grey area would be pick up games at stores and the like, where the combination of informal gaming and unfamiliar players can cause a bit of conflict. And at that point, in my opinion...

gently caress those people.

If you're running one of the new chaos dreadnought builds from IA:13 and some stranger at a board game store refuses to play against it, man, gently caress that dude. On the other hand, if your Astra Militarum gunline army has 20 thudd guns in it, perhaps you should just go gently caress yourself instead.

Or maybe the answer to all of this is just don't be a dick.

I just never play "Pick up games" as you would expect them. If I go to a store to play someone, I usually work through their facebook page or forum and organize that game in advance - then we determine what type of game we want to play.

I really do think that this can actually bring store communities of players CLOSER together as they interact more and plan and play games. Maybe I'm just to much of an idealist... :P

• Locked thread