Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's very ugly looking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
tim schafer is an anagram of mr shitface

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Arian_Samurai posted:

It's very ugly looking
The player character model looks really good but everything else is horrible

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

mediocre platforming in a fun settings, great script and fun levels

it's good and an enjoyable gaming experience with some minor meh platforming areas (fishboss and very last level for example). it's just not the amazing infallible masterpiece some people make it out to be.

for these reasons I recommend Psychonauts

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
A lot of game shaming in this thread, and I don't respect that.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Lumpy the Cook posted:

A lot of game shaming in this thread, and I don't respect that.

I haven't seen any.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

I respect people who enjoyed Psychonauts. I'm no authority on the game's actual quality though- I only played an hour or so to get the Christmas coal achievement before going to do something more fun, like roll around in a Belorussian mass grave.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

all shafer games instantly and retroactively became terrible after they hosed spacebase

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
Bought on steam sale, played for 30 minutes. Ps, swype almost made me say plagued.... makes sense

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Liquid Penguins posted:

tim schafer is an anagram of mr shitface

Holy poo poo

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

"The guy comes out and says I'm a prick," Kotick told the latest issue of Edge magazine.

"I've never met him in my life – I've never had anything to do with him. I never had any involvement in the Vivendi project that they were doing, Brütal Legend, other than I was in one meeting where the guys looked at it and said, 'He's late, he's missed every milestone, he's overspent the budget and it doesn't seem like a good game. We're going to cancel it.'

"And do you know what? That seemed like a sensible thing to do. And it turns out, he was late, he missed every milestone, the game was not a particularly good game..."

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

I still lol every time I see that loving 3.3 million face

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

memy posted:

Psyxhonauts is the only good double fine game
this is damning with faint praise here

good art direction does not excuse a lovely game, sorry psychonauts fans :( also the art direction isn't even that good, the characters are hideous potato blobs

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

hmm yes this is appealing character design i can't imagine why the game sold like rear end

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
drat, imp zone posters are some bitter gamers

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Asimo posted:

hmm yes this is appealing character design i can't imagine why the game sold like rear end

Good job cherry picking a super close up of a game that came out nearly 10 years ago.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

drat, imp zone posters are some bitter gamers
You are in fact upset that your bad sacred cow game is getting rightfully owned.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

You are in fact upset that your bad sacred cow game is getting rightfully owned.

just think this forum has more potential than a million crappy posters posting threads about how popular game X is actually bad.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

Good job cherry picking a super close up of a game that came out nearly 10 years ago.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

PantsBandit posted:

just think this forum has more potential than a million crappy posters posting threads about how popular game X is actually bad.

This is the only thread of its kind, as far as I'm aware.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

imp zone is about the love of games, gaming, and gamers

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

It does not.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
Have any more potential than that, I mean.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

Good point. They actually got worse

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

What if it was called Psycho Nuts and you played as a pair of testicles that had machine guns and could shoot people.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

chaosbreather posted:

all shafer games instantly and retroactively became terrible after they hosed spacebase

ive hated them much longer than that

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

zen death robot posted:

You probably shouldn't post here if that's how you feel
I guess where I put my posts isn't all that important to me.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
I'm pretty sure Grim Fandago is a Schafer game and it's very good. So is Sam and Max if he made that one

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

Actually, in a good adventure game such as the one I mentioned in the OP, Grim Fandango, players collect objects which may SEEM useless or silly but in fact can be applied to puzzles or scenarios later on. Applying these objects results in a challenging and rewarding gameplay experience. In Psychonauts you chase annoying little objects that simply add up numbers to create powerups and it's tedious. "Hth"
Yeah, it's a bad adventure game. I'm saying it should have just been a platformer instead of a bad adventure game with a bad platformer attached.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
invader zim was a cool protagonist for psychonauts, good pick mr shitface

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

You'd have to be a real psycho not to like this game!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the milkman level was funny

that bit with the souls of the burnt alive orphans screaming for you to save them was hosed up

the crazy hobo guy who taught you how to use moves was cool

everything else was ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
A lot of the levels were really cool and pretty, except the last one which was bad.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the boss in the opera house made me really mad at the controls until i beat it.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Good point. They actually got worse

three_point_three_million_dollars.jpeg

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

nice to see the eraserhead baby grew up and scored

Soral
May 30, 2009

anything good made by doublefine is a fluke. theyre poo poo

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
OP I don't think this is a particularly controversial opinion. Psychonauts is basically bad platforming, combat and puzzles in sometimes cool environments while 12 year old kids and mindless retards shriek the awful dialogue at you. I paid 3 dollars for it eons ago and felt slightly ripped off.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

I dare every one of you to name a game developer, or anyone in the game industry, who is more overrated than Tim Schafer.

you can't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
i have to wonder how they actually garnered so much goodwill
because the last games they've put out have sucked

the cave - really loving boring backtracking simulator with sometimes a talking cave
brutal legends - kinda fun but mostly mediocre (esp rts)
costume quest - 3 year old babby's first rpg
hack n slash - kinda interesting idea but really loving boring and mediocre to play and doesnt really use the ideas.

broken age - hahahahhahah enough said

spacebase df-9 - lol

• Locked thread