Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Irish Joe posted:

Adventure Time has gotten really boring this season and Gravity Falls is a show for little kids. Neither is really "like" Korra.

Adventure Time just had like 3 fantastic episodes in a row though, Korra hasn't had any for a long while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

You're talking about an era which had Batman: The Animated Series so you're objectively wrong. :colbert:

90s kids also had Animaniacs and Pinky and the Brain, life wasn't that bad.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

I dumped Gravity Falls because of that stupid Wendy romance plotline (easily much worse than anything involving Mako), did it get better after that?

lmao there was no romance plotline man, just a 12 year old having a (completely unrequited) crush on someone who's old enough to drive

it was never taken seriously and they put it down really gently in the second season (and then loving murder it with a hatchet a few episodes later https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p3SekdtKxw)

E: also it's great, first season ruled and second season is knocking it out of the park

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 2, 2014

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

thexerox123 posted:

90s kids also had Animaniacs and Pinky and the Brain, life wasn't that bad.

Continued examples of "the only good western animated shows are comedies" phenomenon that I really really want to go away some day.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Sharmat posted:

Batman TAS was good for what it was but it's not in the same league as either Avatar series, sadly.

B:TAS was pretty much excellent and Batman Beyond is a better sequel series than Korra. :colbert:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Sharmat posted:

Continued examples of "the only good western animated shows are comedies" phenomenon that I really really want to go away some day.

Better that than Death Note.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
When it comes to animated action/adventure series that aren't anime, I think only the DCAU is in the same ballpark as Avatar/Korra.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

computer parts posted:

:getout:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

computer parts posted:

Look at that, a wrong opinion in the Korra thread.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Well Manicured Man posted:

When it comes to animated action/adventure series that aren't anime, I think only the DCAU is in the same ballpark as Avatar/Korra.

You are forgetting ExoSquad and Gargoyles.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

TheKingofSprings posted:

Adventure Time just had like 3 fantastic episodes in a row though, Korra hasn't had any for a long while

I saw about two minutes of the Jake episode before I turned it off. The show is just sooooooo bad right now.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

OB_Juan posted:

You are forgetting ExoSquad and Gargoyles.

I saw Gargoyles. It is not a good show without nostalgia goggles. Not at all.

Well Manicured Man posted:

I'll honestly say that the DCAU is pretty good but it still doesn't compare with Avatar unless, again, nostalgia goggles. But considering when it came out it's an absolute miracle that it was good as it was. I think the DCAU was something that had to happen before you could even do a series like Avatar, so in a way it's not quite fair to compare them.

I'd hope that shows like ATLA and LoK would also be necessary steps in even better shows until you eventually get western action cartoons that are good in their own right instead of just "good for cartoons", but judging from how Nickelodeon is handling the franchise that seems pretty unlikely.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Irish Joe posted:

I saw about two minutes of the Jake episode before I turned it off. The show is just sooooooo bad right now.

Then you missed the fantastic last 5 dude, sorry about that.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

The Sharmat posted:

But it was the poo poo when I was a dumb kid.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I thought the same about the 90's X-men series at the time. Though in my defense it's a lot easier to think those time travel episodes are super deep and complex when the network never showed anything in order.

I really wish I could go back in time and show the Avatar franchise to 8 year old me.

Writh
Dec 31, 2008

Big D's chillin' over here, wasteland style
I liked Young Justice once they dropped that whole catch phrase crap. It was a good action cartoon

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Rick and Morty?

Writh
Dec 31, 2008

Big D's chillin' over here, wasteland style

Madurai posted:

Rick and Morty?

That's more of a comedy than an action show

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

it's not an action show but it's tons of fun and the writing is very sharp. Incredible pacing in the episodes.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Come to think of it I think I would have enjoyed Gargoyles more as a kid if I were able to appreciate that it eventually became a welfare office for out of work Star Trek: The Next Generation actors.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Samurai Jack, GL: TAS, some of the ones mentioned above, Sym-Bionic Titan, TMNT (the latest animated one, not the CG one) all seem to be in the same category of Korra and also really good.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

The Sharmat posted:

I will fight you on this

I dont know how, but by Jonathan Frakes' beard I will find a way

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Xelkelvos posted:

Samurai Jack, GL: TAS, some of the ones mentioned above, Sym-Bionic Titan, TMNT (the latest animated one, not the CG one) all seem to be in the same category of Korra and also really good.

Maybe we can stop comparing Korra to shows from our respective childhoods because I have the creeping suspicion we're eventually going to hit ponies.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Xelkelvos posted:

That show was too good for this world and I don't know why CN always dicked around Gendy's shows

Duck Dodgers was also good

Mystery Inc was amazing for the feat of making a Scooby Doo show great for the first time since Zombie Island (and the couple of movies that came afterwards)

What else oh Spectacular Spiderman and the most recent X-Men cartoon that got killed after season 1 even though season 2 sounded great (we were going to get Apocalypse and Deadpool damnit :argh:)

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I think Gennedy was just too weird for his own good. Also, I would hesitate to describe the various Marvel cartoons as 'good', though I didn't watch them as a kid so maybe I'm being harsh.

As for the CG TMNT/Transformers, I think that's pretty much what non-Cartoon Network shows are going to end up as. I'm not a big fan of CG animation in general, so welp

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

achillesforever6 posted:

What else oh Spectacular Spiderman and the most recent X-Men cartoon that got killed after season 1 even though season 2 sounded great (we were going to get Apocalypse and Deadpool damnit :argh:)

Wolverine and the X-men was actually pretty good despite focusing on the most over-exposed character on the franchise, but still not in Korra's league.

Irish Joe posted:

Maybe we can stop comparing Korra to shows from our respective childhoods because I have the creeping suspicion we're eventually going to hit ponies.

That's almost the only way to compare it to any other cartoon where people with super powers beat each other up and make it seem worse off, though.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

icantfindaname posted:

I think Gennedy was just too weird for his own good. Also, I would hesitate to describe the various Marvel cartoons as 'good', though I didn't watch them as a kid so maybe I'm being harsh.
Symbiotic Titan I think was really fun and had a better adaptation of Ender's Game than the movie.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sym-Biotic Titan ironically ran into the anime problem of having a three-part combiner robot with one Main Character and two Supporting Characters which generally devalued the whole teamwork element.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
All this nineties toon nostalgia and no words for Beast Wars, Roughnecks: Starship Troopers Chronicles and ReBoot? For shame!

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

The Sharmat posted:

Just watch it. I have the distinct feeling if I'd been following the anticipation threads instead of watching the show on my own and then coming here I'd have despised LoK despite it being overall a better show than its predecessor.

I did follow the anticipation threads and still came out loving Korra, but I can definitely say this seems to apply to a lot of people.

Recently rewatching AtLA, I can say it has some advantages in telling a much more straightforward story and overall being a single plot arc. Both of these make it easier to get into and make it feel more like a coherent hole.

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong
I think Korra is a wonderful serialized show that has been really enjoyable (asides from missteps in season 2) and there's not really any current animated show that is comparable. :kiddo: It's been a great sequel to Avatar and I'm sad that the story is going to end with Korra (I want more!)

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Miss Nomer posted:

(I want more!)

watch FMA Brotherhood

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong
And on a slightly different note, the titles of the last four episodes were released:
Operation: Beifong
Kuvira's Gambit
Day of the Colossus
The Last Stand

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Does that third one mean we might get to see someone Metalbending the Avatar Statue?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Over the Garden Wall is probably the best western cartoon in years.

Watch Over the Garden Wall, y'all.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Does that third one mean we might get to see someone Metalbending the Avatar Statue?
More likely a giant powered armor

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Miss Nomer posted:

And on a slightly different note, the titles of the last four episodes were released:
Operation: Beifong
Kuvira's Gambit
Day of the Colossus
The Last Stand

Are these real because if the last episode isn't titled Avatar Korra I'm going to be kind of angry.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Death Note was the best manga ever until it hit the half way point and jumped the shark so hard the Fonz hit escape velocity.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Miss Nomer posted:

I think Korra is a wonderful serialized show that has been really enjoyable (asides from missteps in season 2) and there's not really any current animated show that is comparable. :kiddo: It's been a great sequel to Avatar and I'm sad that the story is going to end with Korra (I want more!)

Me too. I watched the first season of Korra before I saw any ALTA or read these threads and thought it was a good time. The end got a bit silly at points and the romance was stupid (poor Bolin), but it was good even without accumulated goodwill towards the franchise. If anything, I had to be convinced to watch the original because my prior exposure to ATLA definitely had me cringing at how baby-kidshow it was. Even the second season had enough stuff I enjoyed that I would've probably kept watching anyway. I came to enjoy ATLA as well, but seriously folks, there is a lot of filler and plenty of cringey bad writing in it, too!

It's OK to really enjoy this show even as you recognize its flaws! :kiddo::hf::unsmith:

I often wonder at the age range of people who consistently moan about how dire Korra is -- is it not possible that there's some I-came-of-age-with-ATLA rose-colored glasses in effect?

Carlton Banks Teller fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

I often wonder at the age range of people who consistently moan about how dire Korra is -- is it not possible that there's some I-came-of-age-with-ATLA rose-colored glasses in effect?

Almost certainly. I mean I think at its core TLA is a bit better than Korra for a variety of reasons but a lot of the stuff people complain about existed in TLA too. There are some serious flaws in Korra but they're nothing I wouldn't expect from the flaws in the franchise itself, aside from some writing where I know they can do better. (Bolin vs Sokka, although Sokka had a fair number of Bolin moments.)

• Locked thread