Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
i can see how some nerds would get off on playing dress up then using it to act out their alpha man dreams, before being forced back to being beta bitches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

TOILETLORD posted:

i can see how some nerds would get off on playing dress up then using it to act out their alpha man dreams, before being forced back to being beta bitches.

yeah but enough about the US military

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Chomp8645 posted:

Hey it could be worse...

Tbh these probably aren't any worse than the NES game novelizations kids read in the 80s

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Tbh these probably aren't any worse than the NES game novelizations kids read in the 80s

anyone still have a full set of the robotech novels?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
How can Mandalorians be good fighters if their helmets don't even let them turn their heads.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
What the heck is a mandalorian anyway?????

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Arian_Samurai posted:

Star Wars' version of Klingons. The "proud noble honorable warrior" guys of the setting. Boba Fett was retconned into being one.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Boba fett is a big beta bitch

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

reminder that EU stuff is all folk tales and urban legends star wars people tell each other around the campfire, so it doesn't really have a bearing on anything and boba fett is just some dude who likes dressing up as them

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Is there an EU Song of Ice and Fire crossover?

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

albany academy posted:

Is there an EU Song of Ice and Fire crossover?

R2D2 and C3P0 lost in the desert with uncontrollable space-droid diarrhea.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
what do mandalorians look like anyhow? they cool alien dudes??

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
looked em up on wookipediea.... turns out they just more white dudes in crappy looking armor

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

a starwar betamax posted:

what do mandalorians look like anyhow? they cool alien dudes??

clone wars cartoon: white people
clone wars movie: Māori, Scottish, and Irish descent

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
what is a clone war movie

Absalom Baird
Jul 13, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

Galaxy of Fear! Imagine, if you can, amateur-hour retellings of Goosebumps stories in the Prequel Universe with two dumb kids and their Jedi uncle. I remember everything was holograms all the time.

Lol I read two of these with my son a few months ago. One of them featured Thrawn and the other Boba Fett

TOILETLORD posted:

anyone still have a full set of the robotech novels?

My nerdy older brother had the complete set of these and I read all of them as a tween, ugh wtf

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

what is a clone war movie

Force 10 From Navarone

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

that really bad one with the bug dudes who have too many pet monsters and work for a dude with a sweet beard but is like 90 years old

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

professor oak never had a beard

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
does a lovely kids toyline count as an expansion of the universe

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

albany academy posted:

professor oak never had a beard

Darth Oak is now cannon

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Acne Rain posted:

does a lovely kids toyline count as an expansion of the universe

Adventure. Heh. Excitement. Heh. A Jedi craves not these things. You are reckless.

Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter.

Luke: I don't think so. I'm looking for a great warrior.
Yoda: Ohhh. Great warrior.
[laughs and shakes his head]
Yoda: Wars not make one great.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
is the new star war trailer canon

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Saalkin posted:

Boba fett is a big beta bitch

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

is the new star war trailer canon

no but these are https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6mNrrf6XBA

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
I admit that I have been reading some of these lately. They remind me of eating a McDonalds cheeseburger - familiar, greasy taste that can be slightly comforting even as it leaves you feeling shame.

Just finished Tarkin, for instance, which had little compelling going for it. Who cares about Grand Moff Tarkin? They paint him as a typical "Mary Sue" villain, cunning and vicious and principled and brilliant. The guy gets blown up with his stupid Death Star. They could have at least foreshadowed that instead of making it like he was a genius tactician. The whole plot is how his custom stealth ship gets stolen by some Rebels and taken for a joy ride, and he and Vader have to go hunt it down. A Star Wars' "Where's my car" take.

The Plagueis book was pretty boring too, because it's essential job was to try to make George Lucas' awful attempts at intrigue and diplomacy and economic tension in the prequels better than what they were. It tries to put some sort of logical spin to the machinations of Palpatine and why he was both fomenting chaos and working to stop that chaos. It didn't really work, although it makes Plageuis seem more interesting than the Emperor would be.

The best I have read lately was Kenobi, because it has the smallest scope and didn't involve any world shattering events. It was just about Kenobi settling down to a quiet life on Tatooine within a watchful distance of baby Luke. He doesn't use his lightsaber much, and it's essentially a Western novel about farmers trying to make a go at it in a tough environment with crime syndicates and sand people around. It worked better than it should, minus Kenobi writing love letters to Qui Gon Jin at the start of every chapter.

Luckily, I read better stuff than this. Finishing a book about the current challenges that face us as we seek to explore our solar system and then will pick up the new biography of Michelangelo.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
can someone compile a big gif of fans reacting overly positivly to the starwars trailer

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

RocketLunatic posted:

I admit that I have been reading some of these lately. They remind me of eating a McDonalds cheeseburger - familiar, greasy taste that can be slightly comforting even as it leaves you feeling shame.

Just finished Tarkin, for instance, which had little compelling going for it. Who cares about Grand Moff Tarkin? They paint him as a typical "Mary Sue" villain, cunning and vicious and principled and brilliant. The guy gets blown up with his stupid Death Star. They could have at least foreshadowed that instead of making it like he was a genius tactician. The whole plot is how his custom stealth ship gets stolen by some Rebels and taken for a joy ride, and he and Vader have to go hunt it down. A Star Wars' "Where's my car" take.

The Plagueis book was pretty boring too, because it's essential job was to try to make George Lucas' awful attempts at intrigue and diplomacy and economic tension in the prequels better than what they were. It tries to put some sort of logical spin to the machinations of Palpatine and why he was both fomenting chaos and working to stop that chaos. It didn't really work, although it makes Plageuis seem more interesting than the Emperor would be.

The best I have read lately was Kenobi, because it has the smallest scope and didn't involve any world shattering events. It was just about Kenobi settling down to a quiet life on Tatooine within a watchful distance of baby Luke. He doesn't use his lightsaber much, and it's essentially a Western novel about farmers trying to make a go at it in a tough environment with crime syndicates and sand people around. It worked better than it should, minus Kenobi writing love letters to Qui Gon Jin at the start of every chapter.

Luckily, I read better stuff than this. Finishing a book about the current challenges that face us as we seek to explore our solar system and then will pick up the new biography of Michelangelo.

Absalom Baird
Jul 13, 2010
Hmm that obi wan book actually sounds kinda halfway to not bad

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Otisburg posted:

star wars eu shameful confession:

i kind of liked that one that was mace windu's heart of darkness/apocalypse now

I am a huge fan of the Thrawn Trilogy, I also think Dark Sabre isn't bad.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

ThePutty posted:

SuperMechagodzilla

This would explain much. I hope its true.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Arian_Samurai posted:

The Transformer of that car from Back to the Future

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

effectual posted:

Adventure. Heh. Excitement. Heh. A Jedi craves not these things. You are reckless.

Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter.

Luke: I don't think so. I'm looking for a great warrior.
Yoda: Ohhh. Great warrior.
[laughs and shakes his head]
Yoda: Wars not make one great.

Cue Yoda pulling out a miniature lightsaber.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

KiteAuraan posted:

close, krav maga, swords and "lightsaber training".

Which is hilarious since you never see Boba Fett or any of the Mandolorians in KOTOR pull so much as a knife. They're all gun dudes. A better Mando training regime would be how to use a rocket pack and wrist flamethrowers.

pentyne posted:

She moved onto greener pastures.

Fun fact about Traviss: she's solely responsible for adding the plot element of "The Handmaid's Tale"-like rape camps to Gears Of War universe. These were never part of the original in-game universe (otherwise Dom's wife would be in one) and only came up in the novels and comics

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 2, 2014

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Young Freud posted:

Which is hilarious since you never see Boba Fett or any of the Mandolorians in KOTOR pull so much as a knife. They're all gun dudes. A better Mando training regime would be how to use a rocket pack and wrist flamethrowers.

You see the Mandalorians training at the Dxun camp in KOTOR 2 and they do plenty of hand-to-hand and vibroblade fighting. There's a whole sidequest there involving a hand-to-hand fighting ring you can participate in.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

muscles like this? posted:

She decided to write every Jedi character as borderline evil and the Mandalorians and Boba Fett as super awesome good guys. Even though this completely contradicted everything anyone else was writing.

oh and she kept babbling on about how the grand army of the space republic of half the galaxy in space has less soldiers than the army of glorious north korea

TOILETLORD posted:

the correct answer is it's your job to die, and you thought that was a good career move.
:agreed: unless you got drafted
that's the whole point of paying soldiers money instead of going to the gun shop yourself

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Ron Perlman as a Wookie is the greatest missed opportunity of any Star Wars.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

Man I've gotten so much more entertainment cynically revisiting Star Wars through a lens of apathy than I have from the series in a long long time.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

blowfish posted:

oh and she kept babbling on about how the grand army of the space republic of half the galaxy in space has less soldiers than the army of glorious north korea
:agreed: unless you got drafted
that's the whole point of paying soldiers money instead of going to the gun shop yourself

if it saves money i'll just go to the gun shop and we can cut the military down to special forces air force and navy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

TOILETLORD posted:

if it saves money i'll just go to the gun shop and we can cut the military down to special forces air force and navy.

since murca is surrounded by the world's largest moats and two client states that might actually work

i mean if thailand suddenly activates its oversized royal yacht or some other country with nonexistent sea lift capability (all of them) invades it's a safe bet the cops can arrest them

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 2, 2014

• Locked thread