Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

Classic Prince Valiant

:stare:

... and Prince Valiant invents the concept of "tsundere."

Another vote here for ditching Jane's World. I lost the plot months ago and now I just skim over it bemusedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm not gonna tell anyone what to post or not to post but if you ask me I'd just as soon never see Jane's World again.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set beats the odds.

Working Daze understands panic mindsets all too well.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Yeah, Jane's World is starting in on the next book, and this is about where I began reading it in whatever CSM it was in years ago. If the CSM hivemind wants me to dump it and post something else

I don't mind it, I wish people would just realise how much more effort it takes to type up a complaint than it does to just scroll pa-

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

(i.e. Dan Dare)

THAT WAS AN OPTION??? Please never post Jane's World again, and instead post Dan Dare forever, please and thank you. rear end Play Comix

Pooch Café

Do you get the joke yet? If not, don't worry. You'll get another chance at it tomorrow.

Ballard Street

The lure I get, it's small, it has hooks, that's on Willis. The bobber, that's all you. Fishing line doesn't knot itself up.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Classic Prince Valiant

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Can we drop Val from these strips and just focus on Ingrid from now on? Does anybody have the phone number for 1943?

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

RandomFerret posted:

I don't mind it, I wish people would just realise how much more effort it takes to type up a complaint than it does to just scroll pa-

THAT WAS AN OPTION??? Please never post Jane's World again, and instead post Dan Dare forever, please and thank you.

Yeah, it's sort of been an option. I've been looking to pick up some of the collections, and scanning them. My SA online source dried up, and I've got no material. I know the collections are out there, so I'll have a look at prices. I just bought a new tricked out notebook last week (my current one died completely), so money is sort of an object -- at least temporarily. I've got two collections that were scanned by a buddy, but I think we've seen them before. Right now my cbr reader refuses to open them. I'll see if I can find another reader and see if we've seen them before. I don't really mind Jane's World, but it has looped around to where it was when I first started posting to SA, so yeah, maybe it's time to drop it.

GorfZaplen posted:

Classic Prince Valiant

Ok, I'm going to take the comment "the scenery at the time was lovely" to be synonymous with "wet t-shirt" based on the direction of his eyes.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Try renaming them from .cbr to .rar and see if you can extract the images that way. CBR and CBZ files are just renamed archive formats.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

The Germans must have died of boredom while waiting for this storyline to get out of its rut.

Pibgorn

The Better Half

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

dordreff posted:

"Which is the odd one out? NONE OF THEM, gently caress YOU"
The best synopsis of Inspector Danger I've ever read.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Midnight Moth posted:

I'm pretty sure the goon that first posted Candorville pissed off Darrin Bell.

Yeah, he quoted something nasty I posted in a previous thread in a newspaper interview once when they asked about his favorite piece of hate mail he received or something like that. I think it was regarding one of his "afterlife train" storylines he does when a celeb dies, and I said something like "well, it seems better than I was expecting so far, but I'm sure Bell will mess it up somehow" or something like that. He seemed to have a decent sense of humor about it, said something about how he liked to read my posts because I never failed to find something to bitch about.

I actually feel kinda bad, while I definitely think the strip sucks Bell doesn't seem like such a bad guy and I think I went a little overboard with the personal attacks and theatrically-overblown ":rant: argh it sucks so much I hate it argh argh argh :ssj:" after every strip.

Except the Clyde strips, which were usually great.

This is definitely a rerun, hope Boyce's rapidly accelerating madness hasn't fully claimed him :ohdear:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County :911:

Calvin And Hobbes

Ripley's

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

quote:

I actually feel kinda bad, while I definitely think the strip sucks Bell doesn't seem like such a bad guy and I think I went a little overboard with the personal attacks and theatrically-overblown " argh it sucks

I'm not a big fan of Candorville, but Bell's political cartoons are amazing.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Now didn't this guy come out of the JimTM DavisTM GarfieldTM factory (by way of Family Guy)?
How did he miss the "marketable" message? You need to create something that can be made into a stuffed doll, and calendars, and coffee mugs. A chubby squirrel or funny rabbit or something, anything but this copyright lawsuit waiting to happen.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

RandomFerret posted:

Try renaming them from .cbr to .rar and see if you can extract the images that way. CBR and CBZ files are just renamed archive formats.

No go on the rar route. I'll see if I can find a different reader, but I'm betting they're corrupt, as the same reader opens other cbr files I have with no trouble. I'll try and get a hold of my bud, and score a second set of copies.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive

Transmodiar posted:

No, we're not dealing with iterations, we've begun the next volume of the Jane's World graphic novel. Specifically, Volume 8:

I know you're allergic to hearing this, but for the umpteenth time: this comic is in reruns and there are no iterations. We are literally cycling through poo poo these megathreads already sat through when this story was new. Stop pondering what the gently caress Paige is thinking or when this story is going to get back to the time traveling 60s chick or all the other half-baked musings you have and accept we are getting one page of a graphic novel a day. And that it's a lovely graphic novel that goes nowhere. It will never go anywhere. Trust me.

I will buy you the book if it gets you to stop posting "Jane's World." And the expert opinions like "Not funny, Wiley" or "Not funny, Holbrook" you pepper your daily clippings with. That'd be worth Volume 9, too.

Nice, Transmodiar. I chuckled.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

That thing is so hell of wispy a spider covets.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Aardmania posted:

Piranha Club

So, I guess the implication here is that the doctor's closing shop and heading to the bar after every part of the examination?

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

gently caress the Jane's World haters - it's way better than Intelligent Life, Rose is Rose, 9CL, Zachary Nixon Johnson, and a few other things posted in here. I come to this thread to be introduced to new things, and if something sucks I either make fun of it or scroll past it.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

FactsAreUseless posted:

That thing is so hell of wispy a spider covets.

I thought it was drawn on with sharpie, and was disappointed when the punchline wasn't to that effect.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Well this is absolutely vile.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

LtStorm posted:

I'm not a big fan of Candorville, but Bell's political cartoons are amazing.

Candorville is lazy horrid poo poo smeared on the bathroom stall by an idiot with brain fungus.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I... like? Jane's World, but it is confusing and I'm not sure how everything fits together, even if you're reading from the trades.

I'll be sad to see it go, basically, but if it gets replaced by something good, I won't mind.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Classic Funky

Here endeth the locker condominium arc. Whimper, not bang.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I actually do like Jane's World, but I'm really tempted to start tracking down the trades, just read the drat thing.

Great Moments in Rock 'n' Roll

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

No go on the rar route. I'll see if I can find a different reader, but I'm betting they're corrupt, as the same reader opens other cbr files I have with no trouble. I'll try and get a hold of my bud, and score a second set of copies.
Did you try .zip? I've seen archives renamed as the 'wrong' one (rar to cbz, zip to cbr) and gone unnoticed as most comic book readers will silently try all archive formats regardless of the file type before returning an error, but often if there's like an indexing error in the file needs opening as the right type of archive to fix it.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
I tried reading Jane's World and I wanted to like it, but even though I read it every time it was posted for the last few threads I still had no idea what was going on.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Count me in the intrigued by Jane's World but hopelessly lost camp, as well. I was following Dan Dare religiously when that was being posted so I think I'd prefer that if it has to be a choice, though.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

Nice, Transmodiar. I chuckled.

Bleh. :ughh:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Helicity posted:

gently caress the Jane's World haters - it's way better than Intelligent Life, Rose is Rose, 9CL, Zachary Nixon Johnson, and a few other things posted in here. I come to this thread to be introduced to new things, and if something sucks I either make fun of it or scroll past it.

gently caress the getting-kicked-in-the-nuts haters, it's still better than getting your face burned off, or being decapitated, or Rose is Rose.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
I keep reading that Jane's World is best read in the graphic novel format it's printed in, rather than one page daily. I actually like it, somewhat, because I like Paige's loose ink style.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Bleeker blows itself.

Pickles waves its hands like it just don't care.

Darthemed posted:

Bloom County :911:

Lies! I've been coloring since 197X and I've never seen a flesh crayon, only peach and apricot.

And kill off Jane's World. It's huge, it's bewildering, it's awful. Time to die.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Allen Wren posted:

Great Moments in Rock 'n' Roll

This is the best one in the series.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Classic Prince Valiant

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Reply All

Pearls Before Swine

...Bob Weber Jr, is that you? :ohdear:

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

"I'm giving someone an empty gun so I can get their prints on it then as soon as they leave the building I'm going to shoot them." - a good cop, member of the famously just jungle patrol

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Pidmon posted:

"I'm giving someone an empty gun so I can get their prints on it then as soon as they leave the building I'm going to shoot them." - a good cop, member of the famously just jungle patrol

The Jungle Patrol unquestioningly follows the orders of a mysterious individual who refuses to be identified and frequently has them help him break laws and bypass the authorities. I think they're more the "do whatever it takes to get the bad guys" type of law enforcement rather than the "scrupulously follow the rules" type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
Turns out that the Jungle Patrol is a paramilitary force that is independent of Bangella's authority?

http://www.phantomwiki.org/The_Jungle_Patrol

• Locked thread