Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

dog kisser posted:

Not looking forward to the tougher bosses.

You have enough firepower to melt them in a few seconds, the greatest danger you're facing is clearly your own shots, the boss fights aren't going to be a problem losing hearts through attrition while making your way to the boss rooms is the real peril.

you should consider just bombing the doors and proceeding to the next room where it's a possibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

You have enough firepower to melt them in a few seconds, the greatest danger you're facing is clearly your own shots, the boss fights aren't going to be a problem losing hearts through attrition while making your way to the boss rooms is the real peril.

you should consider just bombing the doors and proceeding to the next room where it's a possibility.

Since then I picked up Pyromaniac and Tiny Planet! I am probably fine at this point!

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

Wow, I just had the easiest Purist run. (Seed: 1YET YPPC)

1st floor: 2 soul hearts in curse room, lots of money + The Quarter in pots blown up by some Mulligoons.
2nd floor: Library containing Book of Revelations, Brimstone in devil deal.
4th floor: Tammy's Head in a golden chest, Humbling Bundle in shop. (Though I couldn't afford that; had bought Soul Converter on 3rd floor.)

Found the Cancer trinket somewhere early, and got There's Options in a shop, too.

Who needs item rooms with that selection?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I'm still not sure I believe Montro's Lung is an item you can find, I've only gotten it from rerolls. Just had a pretty fun Eden run where I got it through a D4 on Cellar II or so, got some decent damage ups and a faster charge rate, and then Polyphemus dropped the room before the Lamb.
Took forever to charge, but it was literally two shots. :allears:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

wyoming posted:

I'm still not sure I believe Montro's Lung is an item you can find, I've only gotten it from rerolls. Just had a pretty fun Eden run where I got it through a D4 on Cellar II or so, got some decent damage ups and a faster charge rate, and then Polyphemus dropped the room before the Lamb.
Took forever to charge, but it was literally two shots. :allears:

I've only gotten it three times and every time it has completely sucked :( I read (in this thread, I think?) a sentiment in which I agree; its charge time is way too long compared to Brimstone et al., especially considering it's damage potential. Too often does it knock enemies away from the rest of the damage.
That said it's potentially one of the most fun items, vomiting a huge torrent of death upon your enemies.

Sebbe posted:

Wow, I just had the easiest Purist run. (Seed: 1YET YPPC)

Reminds me of my Purist run, I saved it for last and it was a perfect victory lap. I got more or less every damage up you can imagine plus Cancer, I was throwing scythes at the speed of light and it was wonderful. Felt really good after spending hours on the "bad" challenges.

Lonely Rolling Star
Mar 20, 2009

Better than a crowbar.
Is the only discernible difference in hard mode a chance of getting teleported on hit? Cause that's the only thing I'd actually noticed while running through it a couple times.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
You must have had the cursed eye or skull because that doesn't happen. The biggest difference hard mode offers is less drops- bosses no longer drop health and the chances of an item drop on room completion are much lower. You will end up missing out on treasure rooms a lot more often, and over all have to be a lot smarter about your decisions/playstyle.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Less chances of room rewards after clearing and more chances of champion enemies and bosses. Randomly getting teleported on hit is something else.

Lonely Rolling Star
Mar 20, 2009

Better than a crowbar.
Okay yeah, I'm pretty sure I did pick up a skull both runs. I'm still trying to figure out or remember what certain items did. But considering it happened twice in a row I was beginning to think it was a feature of hard mode.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
A 6-Room just transformed me into Lord of the Flies, gave me Infestation 2, The Mulligan, Dry Baby, Infested Baby, and Holy Mantle, among other things not worth mentioning.

Happy Big Fun
Jul 23, 2004
Yay!
There's a pretty clear difference between the entrance to the retro room/black market and the stairs down to the next level. Here's a seed where you can see them side-by-side.

Also, thanks to the earlier poster who mentioned the Health Down pills turning into Health Up pills. I took a 2-heart devil deal (leaving me with only soul hearts) and the health down pill did, indeed, turn into a health up pill in my hand :)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Re: Hard Mode, you get less drops, more champions, less drops from champions, more curses and bosses no longer drop health. It absolutely sucks.
One time I went all the way to Mom without getting item rooms or shops (except the first floor, obviously). Apparently Hard Mode is "the way the game is meant to be played", but that's a load of crock. Half the fun of the game is getting interesting items and/or item combinations, and not getting anything kinda defeats that whole point.

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

I hold all of you in the highest contempt
Hard mode floors are also a little bigger aren't they? I swear I noticed that, but I guess I could be wrong.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Your Computer posted:

Re: Hard Mode, you get less drops, more champions, less drops from champions, more curses and bosses no longer drop health. It absolutely sucks.
One time I went all the way to Mom without getting item rooms or shops (except the first floor, obviously). Apparently Hard Mode is "the way the game is meant to be played", but that's a load of crock. Half the fun of the game is getting interesting items and/or item combinations, and not getting anything kinda defeats that whole point.

Champion bosses still drop health, but normal ones don't. On hard it's actually beneficial to get a Boss Rush set to "champion" mode because of that (and also because champion Carrion Queen doesn't drop red poos everywhere).

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
One thing to note on the extra life from Lazarus is that it stands you back up in the room you were in. Progress is not reset. It's essentially set up as a 13th heart heart container. Whether or not it ends up being helpful is arguable, but it's a lot more than just having the 1 up or a single dead cat life.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Your Computer posted:

Apparently Hard Mode is "the way the game is meant to be played", but that's a load of crock. Half the fun of the game is getting interesting items and/or item combinations, and not getting anything kinda defeats that whole point.

I agree, at least when you're newer to the game or still exploring fun item combinations, that getting cool items is kind of the point of the game. But Binding of Isaac is bullshit easy as far as roguelikes go. Forcing people to make interesting choices like 'Should I be conservative with my keys?' or 'Should I bomb the blue rock for a guaranteed soul heart, or try to find the secret room?' takes the game to a decent level of difficulty for the more experienced.

I still play both difficulties but I don't think one is objectively better than the other. I changes made in hard mode actually make sense rather than just arbitrarily doubling the health of all the enemies and leaving everything else unchanged, or some of the other lazy stuff I see in roguelikes.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Skaw posted:

One thing to note on the extra life from Lazarus is that it stands you back up in the room you were in. Progress is not reset. It's essentially set up as a 13th heart heart container. Whether or not it ends up being helpful is arguable, but it's a lot more than just having the 1 up or a single dead cat life.

It also gives you a slight damage/speed bonus as well as the Anemia item, and these are underestimated. If I get the chance, I usually kill myself on the second floor's Deal room, either through spending all my heart containers, or going down to one and then running into the fire until the respawn.

Lazarus is basically Eve 2.0, without the need to stay at one heart health.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
You know what owns? Losing your boss rush to a 6 minute mask of infamy fight :shepicide:

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Poizen Jam posted:

Forcing people to make interesting choices like 'Should I be conservative with my keys?' or 'Should I bomb the blue rock for a guaranteed soul heart, or try to find the secret room?' takes the game to a decent level of difficulty for the more experienced.

That's not guaranteed! :eng101:

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Your Computer posted:

I swear I feel like Hard mode is made for the Lost. First of all even though you can unlock his items items on normal, godhead is locked behind Hard runs with him, so there is really no point in doubling your aggravation by doing both normal and hard (like I did!). Secondly, that there are very few drops after clearing rooms is true but there is still a decent amount of drops/chests already in rooms behind rocks and gaps that require flight. I dont think I had a single run that I tried to make viable with the Lost where I didnt obtain at least one key per level. It is random though so of course your mileage may vary. Lastly your Lost run is pretty much made or broken on your Devil/Angel rooms, which dont require pickups really, excepting getting a lucky goat head from a gold chest.

Even so, I've had runs on normal where there would be no keys for 2-3 floors. I think the rng just likes to screw with us maybe.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Your Computer posted:

Apparently Hard Mode is "the way the game is meant to be played",

According to who??

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Nastyman posted:

You know what owns? Losing your boss rush to a 6 minute mask of infamy fight :shepicide:

The best way to deal with him is to use that loving Bloat against him. Stand next to the Bloat and let him do his dual brimstone attacks right as soon as he spawns. Most of the time this will kill both the heart and the mask before it can do anything. Or at least, the Bloat's brimstone can be used to get the mask killed since it ignores the front-facing shield.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

IUG posted:

The best way to deal with him is to use that loving Bloat against him. Stand next to the Bloat and let him do his dual brimstone attacks right as soon as he spawns. Most of the time this will kill both the heart and the mask before it can do anything. Or at least, the Bloat's brimstone can be used to get the mask killed since it ignores the front-facing shield.

Good advice, but it was Mask as the Necropolis 1 end boss :sigh:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
So why do people hate the Haunt? I haven't had too much trouble with it. Aside from his spread shot having no tell, the two ghosts that it sends after me gave me more trouble than the actual boss.

sayonara chainsaw
Sep 27, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

So why do people hate the Haunt? I haven't had too much trouble with it. Aside from his spread shot having no tell, the two ghosts that it sends after me gave me more trouble than the actual boss.

I hate the Haunt because it's a very tedious first/second boss. Unless you get a good treasure on the first floor, it's going to take a while.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
He has some pretty terrible tells in all his actions, much like Fatty's quick leap. If you aren't moving as soon as you see a change in animation, you risk getting hit.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

CJacobs posted:

According to who??

Well I know the most popular BoI Twitch streamer says this a lot, but really who cares what he thinks. Hard mode is for the people with 1000 hours in the game/people who don't care that the game isn't fun.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
Hard Mode is literally just "wow I have less keys" mode tbh. Cobaltstreak is a bit of a nob about it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Stokes posted:

Well I know the most popular BoI Twitch streamer says this a lot, but really who cares what he thinks. Hard mode is for the people with 1000 hours in the game/people who don't care that the game isn't fun.

agreed, nobody should care what some shitlord streamer says about a game because they are nearly always dumb and wrong and bad people

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Dr. Fetus posted:

Uh, pretty sure what most people hate about the Haunt are those two ghosts, several times in this thread people have called those the "real boss". He is more tedious as a first or even second floor boss too, especially if you have no tears or damage ups and/or something that slows you down like thunder thighs, bucket of lard, the rage is building zodiac, speed down, etc.

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Platypus = God's beta testing animal
Finally got around to unlocking The Lost and doing some runs with him, and it is not fun believe me. Jumped up to HM, figured it was about time I started there and enough practise with this character should mean I'd find the rest easy. Anyway, had a lot of failed runs due to mostly a lack of attention paid to one small loose enemy.

Most successful run so far did get me to Utero 1, and had the set up with Third Eye + Mom's Contact + Spoon Bender + Rubber Cement, basically sticking enemies in place with the freeze and ensuring the bouncing shots got in more than once. Pretty powerful run, but ended due to an unfortunate encounter with double The Fallen. Still, I feel with a similar build I can manage to get further, as long as I stop dying to stupid easily avoidable stuff just because I took my eye off the ball for a moment. Oh well.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Brett824 posted:

Hard Mode is literally just "wow I have less keys" mode tbh. Cobaltstreak is a bit of a nob

Could've stopped there, really.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Stokes posted:

Hard mode is for the people with 1000 hours in the game/people who don't care that the game isn't fun.

I play on Hard mode and I'm neither of those things, and I'd wager the same goes for most people who play on it.

Goons really love to get into dumb slapfights about difficulty levels, just play what you like and stop pretending your way makes you somehow cooler.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Hard mode I sort of like and sort of don't. I think it should be made a little better. I would increase the amount of consumable drops by just a little bit, but also do stuff like make it tougher to get devil deals. Like say instead of not taking red heart damage it's you can't take damage at all. Also maybe have more stuff if not all give you one full heart of damage from floor one.

It's kind of cool in a way though because you will value items differently because of the lower drop rates. When consumables are so plentiful there's no real need to buy the consumable increase items from the shop or devil deals but on hard you kind of have to consider them. That said when you don't get keys for like the entirety of floors 2 and 3 you might as well just reset if you aren't willing to grind it out, which I'm usually not.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Kanfy posted:

I play on Hard mode and I'm neither of those things, and I'd wager the same goes for most people who play on it.

Goons really love to get into dumb slapfights about difficulty levels, just play what you like and stop pretending your way makes you somehow cooler.

It's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kanfy posted:

Well I mean, what he said was true, and he didn't imply it made him any cooler because he thought that, so I don't see the problem. Hard mode is for people who know how to extract all the resources they can out of the game (creative use of bombs to access items, secret rooms, shuffling stuff around in arcades via blood donation machines etc) and you have to have played it a lot to have that knowledge.

edit: You're too quick to play the "goons :rolleyes:" card, is what I'm saying.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the people who talk about how terrible goons are constantly are usually the most insufferable

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Reached a personal milestone today; my wins now exceed my deaths! :toot:

Also done with all the challenges and unlocks for everyone other than the Lost. Not sure what I have to do to get Platinum God now. I'm still missing some secrets. Off the top of my head i know I've never gotten a level 4 meat boy or bandage girl so that's gonna be a pain.

EDIT: Of course right after posting this I get killed by the Haunt on floor 1 as Judas :negative:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 3, 2014

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Man, I've ended up with an item that has a chance to generate half red heart kills on enemies and I have no idea what it is. I've got rotten meat, breakfast, growth hormones, rosary, PHD, mom's purse, sad bombs, gimp mask, capricorn and latch key, with the pill cap and lucky rock trinkets. As far as I know none of those generate half red hearts yet I generally get a drop every 5-6 enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Charm of the Vampire does that.