Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Alternatively, you can light two candles on below your tv if you can't find a sensor bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrene
May 1, 2009

XtraSmiley posted:

Man, I still want a Wii U, but none of the Black Friday deals were in stock when I tried to buy. You guys have a sense on if there's going to be a retailer that does another good bundle, or should I wait for some future price drop? Likely on I'm March, but im not sure I want to wait that long.

Walmart is having a deal where you get a $50 gift card when you buy the Mario Kart 8 bundle.

http://weeklyads.walmart.com/mobile...8&h=2147.482796

I had them put one on hold for me on Monday, when I went in later that day to get it someone had sold it. :/

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

I've seen Pikmin 3 at every retail store I've visited so far. Sometimes it's the better option to leave the house.

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

Thanks for the help. I don't care what everyone says, you guys are OK.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

F. Lobot posted:

I've seen Pikmin 3 at every retail store I've visited so far. Sometimes it's the better option to leave the house.

Or get with the times and go all digital. :colbert:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

"It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle, than for a man who only buys games digitally to get into heaven."

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
I grabbed the Best Buy Wii U bundle and it's showing up today as opposed to next, next Friday like they initially estimated. I ordered W101 and ZombiU on Amazon for cheap, but they're coming later on. Since I passed on the Wii last gen I was going to swing by Target and pick up Mario Galaxy (it shows up as in stock at the one near me) but the other game I really want is Metroid Prime Trilogy and I think I'm hosed. Unless Gamestop has a copy and isn't selling it for dumb amounts of money, it looks like my best bet is renewing my Gamefly account.

Also I guess I should grab Skyward Sword at some point, maybe, I was playing it on my sister's Wii and I think the save can be transferred using an SD card, correct? Is there a way to transfer it from SD to a computer, and then another SD card? If not I can hold off until I'm visiting her for xmas, might just finish it off then too.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Brightman posted:

I grabbed the Best Buy Wii U bundle and it's showing up today as opposed to next, next Friday like they initially estimated. I ordered W101 and ZombiU on Amazon for cheap, but they're coming later on. Since I passed on the Wii last gen I was going to swing by Target and pick up Mario Galaxy (it shows up as in stock at the one near me) but the other game I really want is Metroid Prime Trilogy and I think I'm hosed. Unless Gamestop has a copy and isn't selling it for dumb amounts of money, it looks like my best bet is renewing my Gamefly account.

Also I guess I should grab Skyward Sword at some point, maybe, I was playing it on my sister's Wii and I think the save can be transferred using an SD card, correct? Is there a way to transfer it from SD to a computer, and then another SD card? If not I can hold off until I'm visiting her for xmas, might just finish it off then too.

You can go from Wii->SD Card->Wii U for Skyward Sword, I believe. It's games that have Wifi capability that don't let you do this.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

All digital is cool for portables but I don't really like it on console. The games are too big and digital prices in Europe are terrible. Like your options are paying an extra £10 to download a 10GB game, or saving money and taking 10 seconds to switch discs

I was looking at PS4 bundles a while back and there are a few that come with a digital download of The Last of Us but it's like 40GB. Digital is the worst

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

XtraSmiley posted:

Man, I still want a Wii U, but none of the Black Friday deals were in stock when I tried to buy. You guys have a sense on if there's going to be a retailer that does another good bundle, or should I wait for some future price drop? Likely on I'm March, but im not sure I want to wait that long.

I got the Target one with 3D world, but it errored out on the order screen and didn't charge me or give me a receipt so I didn't think it went through so I also ordered the Best Buy bundle. Turns out they both went through and Target took like 5 days to put the charge on my card, so I have two of these sumbitches coming to me some time in the next couple of days. PM me about the Best Buy bundle if you're willing to cover the price after tax + shipping.

raditts fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 2, 2014

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
I've been looking at external hard drives to go with the Basic U. I was trying to find a USB 2.0 one so that the console could power it from one port, but there's not many options on Amazon since everything's 3.0 now and if you do find one, you'll be paying the same or more as you would for a bigger 3.0 one.

So I'm wondering – how likely am I going to regret just getting a non-antiquated HDD and a Y-cable? What do you really use the USB ports for besides charging things?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Fire Safety Doug posted:

I've been looking at external hard drives to go with the Basic U. I was trying to find a USB 2.0 one so that the console could power it from one port, but there's not many options on Amazon since everything's 3.0 now and if you do find one, you'll be paying the same or more as you would for a bigger 3.0 one.

So I'm wondering – how likely am I going to regret just getting a non-antiquated HDD and a Y-cable? What do you really use the USB ports for besides charging things?

I have a USB 2.0 one and it still needs 2 ports.

No big deal it uses the 2 in back, there's 2 more in front. I use the others to charge the pro controllers.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

oddium posted:

Pikmin 2 is Good Times Island but it doesn't even come close to being better than 1. 1's style and gameplay are so tight and polished. A lot of people don't like the 30 short days but I think you need it for the game's tone. There's palpable feedback to collecting the ship parts, as opposed to watching the fund count go up in 2.

White/purple pikmin feel like an afterthought. The dungeons are a neat idea but they're sooo bland and uninspired. Pikmin 1 just feels a little more restrained in all the right ways

The dungeons were pretty boring and I think partially randomly generated? Either way they're pretty boring but the overworld areas are about as good as the first game and there a whole lot more stuff to do and a wider variety of enemies and bosses.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

oddium posted:

Pikmin 2 is Good Times Island but it doesn't even come close to being better than 1. 1's style and gameplay are so tight and polished. A lot of people don't like the 30 short days but I think you need it for the game's tone. There's palpable feedback to collecting the ship parts, as opposed to watching the fund count go up in 2.

White/purple pikmin feel like an afterthought. The dungeons are a neat idea but they're sooo bland and uninspired. Pikmin 1 just feels a little more restrained in all the right ways

I haven't played pikmin 2 but i agree

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Austrian mook posted:

The dungeons were pretty boring and I think partially randomly generated? Either way they're pretty boring but the overworld areas are about as good as the first game and there a whole lot more stuff to do and a wider variety of enemies and bosses.

I love the dungeons in 2 and wish there were more like them in 3. Just in addition, not to remove anything from 3.

pwh
Aug 9, 2010
I want to play some N64 VC games in Wii mode, but doing so requires a Classic/Classic Pro controller, and those are no longer made. Is there some Nintendo-endorsed way of playing these games? Or did they actually discontinue the necessary controllers with no new options?

That said, where's the best place to pick up a Classic Pro controller? eBay seems flooded which knockoff garbage, prices on amazon seem kinda steep.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

pwh posted:

I want to play some N64 VC games in Wii mode, but doing so requires a Classic/Classic Pro controller, and those are no longer made. Is there some Nintendo-endorsed way of playing these games? Or did they actually discontinue the necessary controllers with no new options?

That said, where's the best place to pick up a Classic Pro controller? eBay seems flooded which knockoff garbage, prices on amazon seem kinda steep.

I got these last week and they were $20 each at the time. They work completely fine but just come in a japanese box http://www.amazon.com/Wii-Classic-C...+pro+controller

They seem to be $28 now though.

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

Yikes A Zombie! posted:

Getting the Wii U for my family for Christmas. My TV is really far from where the Wii U will be. My HDMI cables are already wired, but do I need to get a wireless sensor bar? My TV has USB ports and it looks like the sensor bar plugs in via USB, so I'm thinking that I can just plug it the sensor bar to pull power that way. Or does it actually need to be plugged into the Wii U?

Just a heads up, it is very rare for any WiiU games to actually need the sensor bar. Lots of them use just the motion plus for pointing now days.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

A classic controller will also let you play gamecube games if you install the homebrew application, FWIW.

I'm playing Luigi's Mansion that way, at the moment. What a bizarre little game.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:

Brightman posted:

Just buy a "used" (reprint) copy of prime trilogy from gamestop. Mine was 45 used (maybe 50 though). With the 20% birthday coupon and the GS unlocked card, it was a hell of a deal.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I just preordered Captain Toad at my local game store and all the employees got really excited about it!

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

oddium posted:

Pikmin 2 is Good Times Island but it doesn't even come close to being better than 1. 1's style and gameplay are so tight and polished.
I would agree that the first Pikmin is certainly a tighter experience, but I don't think I'd call it "polished." There are so many factors, pikmin-tripping, pikmin stopping dead at nectar-gathering points, pikmin pathing, bomb-rock control, slightly too unpredictable enemy-tackling, method of choosing pikmin to throw, music mixing, level design (particularly of The Forest Navel, of which we see a much more polished, tight, traversable version in Pikmin 3) - all those things and more could have been improved for a tighter experience.

Austrian mook posted:

The dungeons were pretty boring and I think partially randomly generated?
Yes. Caves in Pikmin 2 are comprised of several "pieces" smooshed together in various ways. This was a bad decision. The aboveground level design in Pikmin 2 was also not particularly great - the difficulty curve was extremely out of whack, and there were unnecessarily massive, open areas in some places, relying entirely on sporadically placed enemies for intrigue rather than, you know, an actual level. There's even a challenge from the first game in there that's entirely reused with basically no meaningful changes whatsoever.

edit: oh god I'm going to start making page-long posts about Pikmin in this thread too, aren't I

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Austrian mook posted:

Yeah I love Pikmin 2 for sure. White/purple pikmin are busters though, and I don't have time for that

e: Oh but the last level in Pikmin 2 is spoilers the crash site from Pikmin 1 and I loved that

oddium fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 2, 2014

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

I've got two classic controllers (I think since I never owned a Wii) that were given to me. I don't think I will use them when I get a Wii U, so if anyone wants them, I'd be happy to send them to a Goon for a fair, non-inflated price. PM and I'll go look for their box.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Yikes A Zombie! posted:

Thanks for the help. I don't care what everyone says, you guys are OK.
Bear in mind that you don't need the sensor bar unless you're going to be doing anything with Wii remotes, playing games using them or going into Wii mode (which is possible if you're buying WiiU for family). You could just use the Gamepad and Pro Controllers and never need the Sensor bar though. Something to keep in mind.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

oddium posted:

Yeah I love Pikmin 2 for sure. White/purple pikmin are busters though, and I don't have time for that

e: Oh but the last level in Pikmin 2 is spoilers the crash site from Pikmin 1 and I loved that

Purple Pikmin basically break the game so I try to avoid using them too much.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
I probably would have used them less if the game's pace was bearable without them.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Polo-Rican posted:

It apparently only happens to people who play For Glory. I'd bet $100 that it's due to players powering down the system as soon as they start to lose so they don't get a recorded loss.

It'd be hilarious if it was only happening to people who disconnect to avoid losses. I hope that's what is happening.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Wildtortilla posted:

I just preordered Captain Toad at my local game store and all the employees got really excited about it!
I just watched the quicklook for that at GiantBomb, and the game still looks pretty amazing. Dan Ryckert, who reviewed it there, does a really good job of showing the game off without spoiling too much, so it's definitely worth a watch in my opinion. He also says, though, that while the game is good for as long as it lasts, it's apparently really, really short, and made a point of really driving that point home during the quicklook. In his review he says that it's maybe a little too short for the $40 they're asking for it and gave it a pretty low score (3/5) because of that. I'll stick with my preorder - it looks absolutely gorgeous and really fun - but still, maybe something to keep in mind.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's not really short, just shallow. It's a puzzle game with no puzzles and an action game with barely any action, there's only so much you can do with that format.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000
Well I obviously haven't played it yet so I can't say for sure, but the way they made it sound in the quicklook was that it does get quite puzzly later on, especially with the side missions, just that it's fairly short. I guess I'll see which one of you is right :shrug:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Ultigonio posted:

Currently, no Wii U games have seen a "Players' Choice" or similar re-release (though I guess NES Remix Pack technically is a re-release but that's different). With the recent release of the Pikmin 3 demo and Pikmin short movies, you'd think that Nintendo would have tried to make the game a little more easy to come by, even if it just meant dropping the price on the eShop.

Whether or not the localization department decides they wanna' call stuff silly things isn't really relevant. See: Bobobo-bo bo-bobo

They did give the game away for free with Mario Kart 8. Probably would have ignored the game otherwise

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They're not wrong, there isn't a ton of content and they do have to milk the poo poo out of what's there in order to add ~~value~~ but I don't think they can "fix" the game by simply adding more levels.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They're not wrong, there isn't a ton of content and they do have to milk the poo poo out of what's there in order to add ~~value~~ but I don't think they can "fix" the game by simply adding more levels.

This is why I wish reviewers in general would ditch review scores. I feel like that kind of point would be better received when you don't have a final X out of 5 or X out of 10 scoring system to end it on, and it's simply just part of the review itself.

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

irlZaphod posted:

Bear in mind that you don't need the sensor bar unless you're going to be doing anything with Wii remotes, playing games using them or going into Wii mode (which is possible if you're buying WiiU for family). You could just use the Gamepad and Pro Controllers and never need the Sensor bar though. Something to keep in mind.

Right, the kids might want some Wii games to play. I picked up the sensor bar previously suggested. It was $12.99 Amazon Prime. No-brainer.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Narcissus1916 posted:

A classic controller will also let you play gamecube games if you install the homebrew application, FWIW.

I'm playing Luigi's Mansion that way, at the moment. What a bizarre little game.

Doesn't Luigi's Mansion use the analog triggers of the GC pad heavily (especially the click), making playing it on a controller with digital triggers an absolutely terrible idea?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The original Classic Controller has analog shoulder buttons.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

So stores should be getting more gamecube control adaptors for Wii U tomorrow right?

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Spacebump posted:

So stores should be getting more gamecube control adaptors for Wii U tomorrow right?

Why tomorrow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Misandu posted:

Why tomorrow?

I thought I read in this thread a few days ago that they were some stores were getting more shipments in this week. I don't know why I thought tomorrow was the day stores were supposed to get them.

• Locked thread