Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

RZApublican posted:

Haha this company is doomed.

we live in a world where TNA still has TV

roaches in spandex doing flips are going to be the last thing alive on this planet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

projecthalaxy posted:

Exactly. Someone hands you the ring. IT IS NOT GRABBABLE.

THERE'S NO RING TO GRAAAAB

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
All this talk of millennials reminds me that this company created a group named after generation x with members that were all baby boomers.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

sportsgenius86 posted:

WWE decided they wanted him to have it so they handed it to him. That's how, because that's the only way to possess it in the WWE.

This is pretty much the case.

But to play devil's advocate for the hell of it, I'll try from the other point of view. Look at the level of dedication one must have. Hunter lives and breathes the business. The Rock was huge, came back periodically to wrestling and always having a good relationship with Vince and the WWE, did TV/SNL/shows/etc. and just plain connected with the audience to entertain. Austin took matters into his own hands but he also gave his all for the business as did Bret Hart. And Taker. And Hogan was huge and did all kinds of publicity.

It takes a dramatic level of commitment and dedication to be at Cena's level. He's giving his body to the sport on that level (and probably hopped up on drugs), being the leader he needs to be to represent the company. TV, Make a Wish, movies, talk show circuit, etc. More so than Randy Orton. It's what gave Miz the shot and main event since he also tends to be extremely professional apparently when it counts for public appearance. He's willing to go that far and be the face.

How many of the guys in the locker room (and yeah of course there are a lot) are willing to go on the same level? Versus a work life balance? Versus destroying their body permanently? It's kinda hosed up but that's apparently what Vince is looking for and we don't always know what they know about what goes on with the guys (are they making more time for video games or really working on their craft). What I also wonder is that there seems to be a definite difference in the wrestlers themselves. Take a look at the older guys and, while I don't know jack, it kinda felt like Wrestling was it for them. They didn't have another avenue so they poured themselves into it (and it doesn't help that old days were guys who were dialed up to 12 and today it's script recital and gimmicks). I'd imagine a lot of current wrestlers are more college educated and modern in their demeanor, especially since it is a publically traded company so we can't have antics like in the past (Shawn-Ahmed Johnson-Sunny drug stories) getting out.

You've got guys you can see that passion in, like Dolph Ziggler and Punk and Bryan and Rollins and Ambrose and Bray and Cesaro. But on the other hand Punk's attitude and reputation hurts him (though kinda seeing now he's making rounds, he seems like an ok guy but not the face Cena is). Plus he's straight edge so if he gets hurt, he's going to take time off to heal unlike Cena who, hell knows what he'd be hopped up on to return weeks early or keep going. I don't see why you can't give him that moment at Mania but Cena's proven himself to be the man in that spot. You've got Bryan whose passion is apparent but he's not a larger than life figure. He is however a good every man and nowdays the audience doesn't care about larger than life because what matters to them are guys who are great at their jobs (its why they shouldn't turn a heel face just because he's getting cheers. Let them root for him and play out his storyline.)

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Basically, just pretend Vince McMahon is a Republican Congressman and all talent are your average black person and the entire thing makes crystal clear sense.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

Ironically, I sort of feel bad for Cena now. If there was anyone in the locker room who didn't resent him before. Now? He just got the teachers pet hat.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Rene Dupree has his own WWE health horror story http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Wrestling/2014/12/02/22108176.html

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Gatts posted:

This is pretty much the case.

But to play devil's advocate for the hell of it, I'll try from the other point of view. Look at the level of dedication one must have. Hunter lives and breathes the business. The Rock was huge, came back periodically to wrestling and always having a good relationship with Vince and the WWE, did TV/SNL/shows/etc. and just plain connected with the audience to entertain. Austin took matters into his own hands but he also gave his all for the business as did Bret Hart. And Taker. And Hogan was huge and did all kinds of publicity.

It takes a dramatic level of commitment and dedication to be at Cena's level. He's giving his body to the sport on that level (and probably hopped up on drugs), being the leader he needs to be to represent the company. TV, Make a Wish, movies, talk show circuit, etc. More so than Randy Orton. It's what gave Miz the shot and main event since he also tends to be extremely professional apparently when it counts for public appearance. He's willing to go that far and be the face.

How many of the guys in the locker room (and yeah of course there are a lot) are willing to go on the same level? Versus a work life balance? Versus destroying their body permanently? It's kinda hosed up but that's apparently what Vince is looking for and we don't always know what they know about what goes on with the guys (are they making more time for video games or really working on their craft). What I also wonder is that there seems to be a definite difference in the wrestlers themselves. Take a look at the older guys and, while I don't know jack, it kinda felt like Wrestling was it for them. They didn't have another avenue so they poured themselves into it (and it doesn't help that old days were guys who were dialed up to 12 and today it's script recital and gimmicks). I'd imagine a lot of current wrestlers are more college educated and modern in their demeanor, especially since it is a publically traded company so we can't have antics like in the past (Shawn-Ahmed Johnson-Sunny drug stories) getting out.

You've got guys you can see that passion in, like Dolph Ziggler and Punk and Bryan and Rollins and Ambrose and Bray and Cesaro. But on the other hand Punk's attitude and reputation hurts him (though kinda seeing now he's making rounds, he seems like an ok guy but not the face Cena is). Plus he's straight edge so if he gets hurt, he's going to take time off to heal unlike Cena who, hell knows what he'd be hopped up on to return weeks early or keep going. I don't see why you can't give him that moment at Mania but Cena's proven himself to be the man in that spot. You've got Bryan whose passion is apparent but he's not a larger than life figure. He is however a good every man and nowdays the audience doesn't care about larger than life because what matters to them are guys who are great at their jobs (its why they shouldn't turn a heel face just because he's getting cheers. Let them root for him and play out his storyline.)

This is somewhat unfair though because most of the evidence for the "Cena lives this poo poo" argument is crap that Cena has done since the point where they decided he was that guy and gave him the crown. It's the same self-fulfilling prophecy poo poo that WWE spouts. If the company was like "you're our guy and we're going to help you make a fuckload of money" of course you'd do all the poo poo Cena does. I find it really hard to believe there's anyone on the roster that wouldn't because if you didn't have that drive, you wouldn't keep working at what appears to be one of the most godawful, rotten, piece of poo poo companies in existence.

Cena is an all-time talent in the absolute top tier of WWE superstars ever. And the only reason they didn't flush that talent down the toilet was because he was lucky enough to have Stephanie McMahon overhear him freestyling on a bus. Not because he had the look. Not because he can talk. Not because he was a competent worker. Not because he busted his rear end to be in shape and learn. BECAUSE HE loving RAPPED ON A BUS.

The primary reason an all-time talent is a megastar face of the company right now and not personal training at some Gold's Gym is because Steph thought it was funny that a white guy could rap decently.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Vince is really great, as is Stone Cold, as is Cena. No problems here

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

this is really horrible, jesus christ

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Cardboard Box posted:

this is really horrible, jesus christ

I did a double take when I saw the headline.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
LMAO ROWAN/SHOW IS A FIRST TIME EVER STEEL STAIRS MATCH

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

Daniel Bryan posted:

ya i was wondering where main event talk was at usually because what the gently caress is a stairs match

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Show's already busted out the giant chair, the giant ladder, and the giant table. Giant stairs up next. Then I'm ready for the giant coal miner's glove.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

sportsgenius86 posted:

This is somewhat unfair though because most of the evidence for the "Cena lives this poo poo" argument is crap that Cena has done since the point where they decided he was that guy and gave him the crown. It's the same self-fulfilling prophecy poo poo that WWE spouts. If the company was like "you're our guy and we're going to help you make a fuckload of money" of course you'd do all the poo poo Cena does. I find it really hard to believe there's anyone on the roster that wouldn't because if you didn't have that drive, you wouldn't keep working at what appears to be one of the most godawful, rotten, piece of poo poo companies in existence.

Cena is an all-time talent in the absolute top tier of WWE superstars ever. And the only reason they didn't flush that talent down the toilet was because he was lucky enough to have Stephanie McMahon overhear him freestyling on a bus. Not because he had the look. Not because he can talk. Not because he was a competent worker. Not because he busted his rear end to be in shape and learn. BECAUSE HE loving RAPPED ON A BUS.

The primary reason an all-time talent is a megastar face of the company right now and not personal training at some Gold's Gym is because Steph thought it was funny that a white guy could rap decently.

Right. It's pretty much at their whim. Like choosing Roman Reigns. I have no idea why now is the time to push him when he's nowhere close to the level of others.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Millennials have spent the past 15 years having start/stop pushes. We have to prove we really want it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Daniel Bryan posted:

This is crazy stupid.

On the other hand, why not announce that stipulation on Raw if they're going to do it?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Daniel Bryan posted:

#blessed

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3685239&pagenumber=73&perpage=40#post438402840

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

:stonk:

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

It's weird how Vince is so forward thinking on stuff like starting his own digital distribution network yet so backwards and archaic about everything else

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

best post/av combo

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

You have to admit, regardless of views. It's given us more to talk about than most shows.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Red posted:

Someone with pull has to fight for you. Punk had Heyman, HHH had the Kliq, and Austin apparently had JR and Bret.

Punk was still on the fast track to nowhere until Shawn Michaels wandered by a meeting and went "Why are you sitting around thinking up ways to make this guy useless? Do something with him."

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

holy poo poo

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I can't wait until Punk and Vince move beyond podcast fights and onto mix-tape diss tracks.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Gatts posted:

Right. It's pretty much at their whim. Like choosing Roman Reigns. I have no idea why now is the time to push him when he's nowhere close to the level of others.

He's got the "look".

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Sigma posted:

I can't wait until Punk and Vince move beyond podcast fights and onto mix-tape diss tracks.

You Stupid Old Man (I'm A Snake) - CM Punk (feat. Bumpy Knuckles)

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

I'm still sad HHH deprived us of 12 Rounds 2 starring CM Punk

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

Sigma posted:

I would unironically listen to Vince McMahon rap battle. He has the voice for it.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

:stare:

I wonder if we're going to get more stories like this from ex-WWE people going forward.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Delsaber posted:

:stare:

I wonder if we're going to get more stories like this from ex-WWE people going forward.

I would count on it. For a guy like Dupree, it makes him look double tough for coming out of it still functional, it gets their name in the headlines without having to do much, and it allows them to sting an ex-employer. Plus. if the WWE's been doing this kind of slipshod wrestler care for a while, I'd be surprised if the only people victimised by it were Punk and Rene Dupree.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Daniel Bryan posted:

Tables Ladders Chairs Steel Steps

TLCSS available for only £9.99.

Unless they reveal an awesome ladder match next week I am watching TLC for the TLC match and that's it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

Unless they reveal an awesome ladder match next week I am watching TLC for the TLC match and that's it.

The Ladder match is Ziggler vs Harper. So... potentially? I just realized I'm not sure if this was officially announced yet

Onmi fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 3, 2014

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Daniel Bryan posted:

Erick Rowan is my favorite

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

Awesome as in awesome competitors or awesome as in an awesome ladder? Like if its a Ruby Ladder Match.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Daniel Bryan posted:

It took the immense genius of The Brilliant Big Red Erick Rowan to think up a match type this good, and that's why it's the first ever.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
To go back real quick to the thing a page or so ago about WWE guys all having the same match, I think if they even just switched opponents now and again, things might feel fresher. It's just kind of a slog to see say Cena and Rollins have a tag match, then a singles match, then another tag match then a singles match at a ppv. Throw in somebody else, you've got plenty guys. Who cares if it's Seth killing Fandango or somethin?

EDIT: It would also help if they stay away from the non finishes via DQ for a while after the last couple months.

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996

Good Listener posted:

Who cares if it's Seth killing Fandango or somethin?

I would care. Specifically, I would care because that sounds awesome.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Good Listener posted:

To go back real quick to the thing a page or so ago about WWE guys all having the same match, I think if they even just switched opponents now and again, things might feel fresher. It's just kind of a slog to see say Cena and Rollins have a tag match, then a singles match, then another tag match then a singles match at a ppv. Throw in somebody else, you've got plenty guys. Who cares if it's Seth killing Fandango or somethin?

EDIT: It would also help if they stay away from the non finishes via DQ for a while after the last couple months.

They really gotta bring back Jobbers as a concept of just random talent paid to lose at every town they go to. Because no one is getting over with this "Okay I go over you, and then you go over me" bullshit booking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Onmi posted:

They really gotta bring back Jobbers as a concept of just random talent paid to lose at every town they go to. Because no one is getting over with this "Okay I go over you, and then you go over me" bullshit booking.

If they're going to do jobbers then it should be like the Hunter vs Taka match that was awesome and actually looked like Taka might stand a chance.

• Locked thread