Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Teenage Fansub posted:

e: I looked up Peter Tomasi's Twitter and he'd posted what the French collections look like.
Jeeeez

drat that is a nice looking book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Definitely a better cover than the American version of Vol 2, but that image was a still in the last issue of the arc and not an official cover image.

Anyway I'm sure at least Carrie will make a comeback when Damian returns to life. She was tutoring him and was never informed of the "oh he died" deal for security reasons, so she'll just be a supporting character akin to Colin in Streets of Gotham.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

lotus circle posted:

The Agent of Spyral angle was added in hap-hazardously, as one can tell from all the delays Forever Evil and Nightwing 30 suffered, with the latter being handed between three creative teams and one team having drawn out the entire issue in pencils before they got ousted by editorial.

Wait. What the hell is this?

I completely ignored Forever Evil, so I missed that DC junked an entire, already drawn issue.

The Action Man fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 2, 2014

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
I asked in the digital comics thread but it might be better to ask her. Are the post Williams Batwoman issues worth picking up in the DC sale?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The Action Man posted:

I completely ignored Forever Evil, so I missed that DC junked an entire, already drawn issue.

We got a Grayson issue #0 which was a better idea than what it appeared to be for a transition.
Though, that knock-out fight/discussion with Batman was about the weirdest thing in comics this year.

e:

Trast posted:

I asked in the digital comics thread but it might be better to ask her. Are the post Williams Batwoman issues worth picking up in the DC sale?

I think it's been okay, but you only need the last Annual that does a decent job wrapping up WH's story.
e: Which isn't on sale.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 2, 2014

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

The Action Man posted:

You can see the pages here if you're curious, but yeah it happened.

Surprisingly(?) all of them sold, including the 1000+ one the the League lowering Dick's coffin into his fake grave.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

TwoPair posted:

ftfy.

Seriously that's the barrier to entry for Eternal.

Unless your name is Cassandra Cain. :smith:

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Tempted to get the Stephanie Brown Batgirl run because it's on sale. Was it good, or decent, at the very least?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's great

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
loving buy it.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

catlord posted:

loving buy it.

Amen.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Schneider Heim posted:

Tempted to get the Stephanie Brown Batgirl run because it's on sale. Was it good, or decent, at the very least?
At the very least, it's one one of the best batbooks of the modern era.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Done. Thanks everyone!

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Bleeding Cool is claiming that Scott Snyder and Frank Miller will be collaborating on a new DKR sequel focusing on an older Carrie Kelley

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/12/frank-miller-and-scott-snyder-to-write-dark-knight-3/

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Dacap posted:

Bleeding Cool is claiming that Scott Snyder and Frank Miller will be collaborating on a new DKR sequel focusing on an older Carrie Kelley

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/12/frank-miller-and-scott-snyder-to-write-dark-knight-3/
Ooh, I do hope I get their dream artist, Marc Silvestri! said nobody.

Everyone should enter this contest to win A Pile of Terrible Batman Merch.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 3, 2014

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
You know when people joked "What did DC do for Superman's anniversary" I would say "Well they did plenty of things, they aren't that crazy biased."

Now I'm starting to see their point.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Well more people care about Batman than Superman so thems the breaks.

I will gladly read that book if it turns out to be true.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

lotus circle posted:

You know when people joked "What did DC do for Superman's anniversary" I would say "Well they did plenty of things, they aren't that crazy biased."

Now I'm starting to see their point.

For Supermans 75th they did special covers on just Superman Unchained. When it came to Batman they did it for every title.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

bobkatt013 posted:

For Supermans 75th they did special covers on just Superman Unchained. When it came to Batman they did it for every title.
To be fair they weren't doing monthly variant themes at regular price back then. It's a trend that only started this year if I'm remembering right. They're going to do Flash variants in January and Harley Quinn in February so it wasn't just a one-time thing for Batman.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

lotus circle posted:

To be fair they weren't doing monthly variant themes at regular price back then. It's a trend that only started this year if I'm remembering right. They're going to do Flash variants in January and Harley Quinn in February so it wasn't just a one-time thing for Batman.

In 2013 they had villain month and they also had Mad Magazine month.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Dacap posted:

I was thinking "wait, Miller's too sick to draw? What's up with that?"

Then I found this.

yowza

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

Then I found this.

yowza

Holy poo poo :stare:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

Then I found this.

yowza

The crypt keeper?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

bobkatt013 posted:

The crypt keeper?

Depending on what rumours are true an old bitter man battling alcoholism and or cancer.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Jiro posted:

Holy poo poo :stare:
Here's a higher-res one I posted a few months ago:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Man, this month Grayson was fantastic.

Gotham Academy has lost me and Eternal keeps being boring.

Detective was solid and I'm intrigued about Anarky, so far it seems faithful (if more violent) to Grant's original take. Here's hoping we get Lonnie under the mask.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 3, 2014

Bedtime Stories
Jul 28, 2013
I'd bet a limb that Anarky is (a darker!edgier!) Annie from the last arc. It seems to be the status quo that pre-Nu52 villains are introduced with original characters at the helm. The Ventriloquist, for example (ugh).

Plus I find it too convenient that they were telling Newsarama that she'd be back and "different" in an interview about reintroducing Anarky.

----

Was anybody else put off by Lucius betraying Bruce in this week's Eternal? Man, that's like having Alfred turn against him and go evil. You just don't do it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Bedtime Stories posted:

I'd bet a limb that Anarky is (a darker!edgier!) Annie from the last arc. It seems to be the status quo that pre-Nu52 villains are introduced with original characters at the helm. The Ventriloquist, for example (ugh).

Plus I find it too convenient that they were telling Newsarama that she'd be back and "different" in an interview about reintroducing Anarky.

----

Was anybody else put off by Lucius betraying Bruce in this week's Eternal? Man, that's like having Alfred turn against him and go evil. You just don't do it.

I figured it had more to do with Lucious being forced by the cops to comply because he had no other option.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Bedtime Stories posted:

I did honestly, but yeah I definitely want to learn the circumstances behind it. If he was forced to, then fine, but if he did it of his own will then it would be seriously harsh. Doesn't Lucius especially know who Batman is?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

But didn't Fox warn him ahead of time? I gathered that it wasn't really voluntary, just him trying to limit collateral damage from an operation that was going to happen no matter what.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Interview with Kelley Jones about his career. He drops that after his Convergence Swamp Thing issues, he's got a Scarecrow mini and further Batman stuff which I don't think have been announced previously.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/12/ahead-gallery-edition-release-talking-kelley-jones-batman-career-comics/

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh good, a lull in the thread. So, since all the big Batman fans are all around here I'm guessing that most of you have played the Arkham series. If you could have some say in it, would you have preferred the Joker to not have been the villain every time?

For me personally, my biggest gripe with Origins that wasn't bugs was that for assassins sent to hunt the Batman they sure don't seem to be doing a good job at finding him.

But then again those and the Batman Begins game on the first Xbox were my only exposure to Batman games at all so I might just not be as sick of the Joker as you guys may have become. Or I could totally be wrong and that's just the internet making it seem like it's more prevalent than it actually is.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

RareAcumen posted:

Oh good, a lull in the thread. So, since all the big Batman fans are all around here I'm guessing that most of you have played the Arkham series. If you could have some say in it, would you have preferred the Joker to not have been the villain every time?

For me personally, my biggest gripe with Origins that wasn't bugs was that for assassins sent to hunt the Batman they sure don't seem to be doing a good job at finding him.

But then again those and the Batman Begins game on the first Xbox were my only exposure to Batman games at all so I might just not be as sick of the Joker as you guys may have become. Or I could totally be wrong and that's just the internet making it seem like it's more prevalent than it actually is.

I really liked Origins (more than City and Asylum in fact). Honestly I didn't find City's story that interesting so I didn't have an issue with the Joker's on Origins.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

RareAcumen posted:

I would have preferred him not being the main villain in Origins. Of course the fact that he would be in game was no secret, it was announced fairly early on, but I would have like to see him as a background villain. Not the mastermind but just the guy who makes things a little harder and watches the chaos unfold. Like if he were just to give a little extra support to some of the assassins, just to see if Batman could get out of one mess to the next. Especially after City made such a huge deal of killing him off and made it work because it was his own drat fault, which I think is the best way to go for a villain like him.

I will say I was glad that the reveal was made pretty early on into the game. Saved me the trouble of playing through the whole game under a false assumption and getting exasperated by a cheap endgame reveal. The reveal is still cheap mind you, but hey at least they didn't lead us on for too long and I can thank them for that much.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Origin is a generic copy of Asylum/City so it makes sense that it's usage of characters/story would also be. At least Arkham Knight is using totally not Hush this time instead of Joker.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

RareAcumen posted:

For me the Joker being in the first two games was not an issue because it was fun seeing Hamill coming back to the role. I could see why people would be upset over the prequel featuring him too, but who honestly cares about Black Mask anyway though?

I had more issues with its gameplay mechanics though. The combat system is one thing I wish they made more complicated, as the current set up leads it to become repetitive quickly. Boss Fights are also pretty garbage (I haven't played Arkham Origins so I don't know if that's the case too) as the only fight I remembered changing the formula of rolling at the last second from the big scary guy with glowing body parts was Mr. Freeze with constantly changing strategies to taking him down. The sandbox in Arkham City gave me a-lot of problems because it lacks the appeal that other sandbox games have which is being set in a city with actual people walking around.

Also the Catwoman segments were trash.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
On the one hand Origins was the point in Batman's career where the gangsters were replaced by the supervillains so it's clever for that to literally be the plot. On the other hand it's yet another Joker story at a point when the series really needed to have something different.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

lotus circle posted:

I would have preferred him not being the main villain in Origins. Of course the fact that he would be in game was no secret, it was announced fairly early on, but I would have like to see him as a background villain. Not the mastermind but just the guy who makes things a little harder and watches the chaos unfold. Like if he were just to give a little extra support to some of the assassins, just to see if Batman could get out of one mess to the next. Especially after City made such a huge deal of killing him off and made it work because it was his own drat fault, which I think is the best way to go for a villain like him.

I think I see what you're going for here. You'd rather that the Joker was just a general problem only a few steps above a nuisance in the city making things dangerous but not the main villain. Stuff like chattering teeth bombs or something else comical that'd warrant a Crime in Progress alert right?

goldenoreos posted:

For me the Joker being in the first two games was not an issue because it was fun seeing Hamill coming back to the role. I could see why people would be upset over the prequel featuring him too, but who honestly cares about Black Mask anyway though?

I had more issues with its gameplay mechanics though.

Also the Catwoman segments were trash.

Oh no, I wasn't saying anything negative about the other games. Or Joker's involvement in them. It made sense for the first two, after all. My main gripes in order of series were: 1 Man, I wish I could counter people while doing a ground takedown. 2: Man I wish I could throw people, counter while doing a ground takedown and that they'd used the same sound effects for punches from the last game. I also wish thugs would actually fall off of buildings. We know, Batman doesn't kill, afterwards if we use Detective Mode they'll all just be unconscious. 3: Wow, why is this game so buggy? It would've been really cool if the assassins were actively hunting you like the story made them out to be. Why do I have to go through all these armor upgrades to get all the good stuff?

I dunno what the general opinion is here but I really enjoyed the Brave and the Bold cartoon because it wasn't taking itself too seriously and GASP crimes committed during the day! Not to mention all the team ups as well. I'd be down for a game like that. Partially because the combos can be as insane as you want depending on what you're fighting whether they're people or magic flame things or gorillas [anything from a belt sword to brass knuckles is free game!] you could have basically anyone join in to help stop crimes too which could mean an insane amount of characters to play as, yadda yadda yadda. Of course, I'm sure that's probably the Lego Batman games though. :v:

And yeah, Catwoman was kinda a shame. A shame that Gotham winter with Mr. Freeze making it even colder still wasn't a enough reason to justify her zipping up. [come on writers, you can do better than this! :argh:] Or Harley to have at least a big fur overcoat while leaving places. Y'know, something at least?! But when I was first playing the game I was just annoyed by her lack of gadgets. And theif vision being so terrible.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
If I'd had my druthers, Joker's involvement in Origins would have been pretty much just a mission where you break up a Red Hood robbery and cause him to get dropped into the chemicals and then some kind of tease for him at the end of the game.

That being said, between the crime scene investigation where you first find out about Joker, the surreal Red Hood mission, and Troy Baker doing a heck of a job, I can't complain too much about it.

EDIT -

RareAcumen posted:

And yeah, Catwoman was kinda a shame. A shame that Gotham winter with Mr. Freeze making it even colder still wasn't a enough reason to justify her zipping up. [come on writers, you can do better than this! :argh:]

I thought it would have been terrific if you could, say, click the right toggle stick to choose whether Selina has her outfit zipped up or down. You could use the same mechanic to have Batman wrap his cape around himself. It's always kind of stuck in my craw that we can't get Batman doing this kind of thing in the games.

Perry Normal fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Dec 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

RT+LS to loom menacingly
RT+RS to disappear when someone's back is turned
modesty slider in options for female clothing

• Locked thread