Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Quote-Unquote posted:

You could Google it rather than being snarky
http://sciencebasedlife.wordpress.com/2012/04/13/how-do-cats-survive-falls-from-great-heights/

It's not exactly proven but heavily theorised. Bit tricky to research it because, you know, chucking cats off buildings has some ethical concerns.

Also, because of their weight, can't they more easily survive a fall at terminal velocity, which means 8 or 20 stories will result in basically the same injuries?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Araenna posted:

Also, because of their weight, can't they more easily survive a fall at terminal velocity, which means 8 or 20 stories will result in basically the same injuries?

I think that's the gist of it, with their instinctive righting ability. They'll get injured, of course, but things I've read suggest cats are surprisingly less likely to die from higher falls than smaller ones because of their ability to adjust their bodies to reduce terminal velocity and prepare their springy legs to absorb shock.

Check out videos of cats in zero gravity. They keep trying to adjust to right themselves to whichever surface they think they are falling towards. It's pretty amazing.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

How did I get from fleas to falling cats? Am I subconsciously considering chucking Sampson out a window?

Anyway, sprayed the whole house after vacuuming again. Not seen a flea for six hours now so hoping it has helped. Going to do another treatment every night this week. I'd get a flea collar but I tried to put a regular collar on him when I first adopted him but he screeched and tore around the house scratching until he bled trying to get it off so I don't think that's an option.

BarristaSelmy
Oct 10, 2012

Quote-Unquote posted:

How did I get from fleas to falling cats? Am I subconsciously considering chucking Sampson out a window?

Anyway, sprayed the whole house after vacuuming again. Not seen a flea for six hours now so hoping it has helped. Going to do another treatment every night this week. I'd get a flea collar but I tried to put a regular collar on him when I first adopted him but he screeched and tore around the house scratching until he bled trying to get it off so I don't think that's an option.

Maybe you should get your friend a flea collar! :)

Flea collars are pretty useless. It's better to get something like Advantage since it also kills eggs. http://www.1800petmeds.com/Advantage+II+-prod10433.html

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr
IIRC there are a whole lot of design flaws in that falling cat study that all this is based on. Most importantly, people are way more likely to take a cat to the ER after it falls 10 stories than 1, even if the cat looks fine. And people are way more likely to take their cat to the ER after falling 1-2 stories if it actually appears injured than if it looks fine. Basically the study is dumb and there is no good data on any of this.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've recently discovered that a bicycle pump of the style below is a great piece of cat punishment/discouragement technology. It makes lots of weird noise and it blows air on them. My cat hates it. She'll run if she sees me reaching for it, and I even just now pantomimed using it and she hid under the bed. Let's hope that I can discourage her from eating her roommate's food with it.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

Quote-Unquote posted:

You could Google it rather than being snarky
http://sciencebasedlife.wordpress.com/2012/04/13/how-do-cats-survive-falls-from-great-heights/

It's not exactly proven but heavily theorised. Bit tricky to research it because, you know, chucking cats off buildings has some ethical concerns.

This isn't heavily-theorized, it's a classic case of selection bias that your post doesn't even mention. Cats that fall 10 stories and go splat are unequivocally dead and aren't taken to the vet. The BBC article mentioned only looked at veterinary admission statistics, so it's a biased sample.

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
Any recs for a spill-proof food bowl? Butts finally beefed up to where he can flip over the huge ceramic dog bowl I currently use. :sigh:

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

in_cahoots posted:

This isn't heavily-theorized, it's a classic case of selection bias that your post doesn't even mention. Cats that fall 10 stories and go splat are unequivocally dead and aren't taken to the vet. The BBC article mentioned only looked at veterinary admission statistics, so it's a biased sample.

Ah okay, that makes sense.

The blue bunny
May 29, 2013

Barrista posted:

Maybe you should get your friend a flea collar! :)

Flea collars are pretty useless. It's better to get something like Advantage since it also kills eggs. http://www.1800petmeds.com/Advantage+II+-prod10433.html

I have read that putting a flea collar inside the vacuum cleaner help to kills flea that hatch from the eggs.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

in_cahoots posted:

Heavily theorized or not we can safely assume that it is very bad for cats to fall off from high places yet they seem to have a better survivability rate than say a dog. Naturally that's not a reason to go throwing them off buildings to find out what happens. I still think it's pretty impressive how lightly some can come away from it.

BarristaSelmy
Oct 10, 2012

The blue bunny posted:

I have read that putting a flea collar inside the vacuum cleaner help to kills flea that hatch from the eggs.

I've read this as well, but I'd rather be vacuuming up dead fleas than hoping they die in the vacuum. Actually, I'd rather be vacuuming up no fleas, dead or alive.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
I know this is not the right thread, but I have no idea how to go about finding the right thread (...because I don't have platinum? :ohdear:). It's tangentially related.

I've bought a pot for a new batch of :420: for my cat, but I have no idea how to go about it. Or rather (because I already have one pot, but that one seems to have passed its expiration date), I've been given some conflicting advice by various salespersons. It clearly says on the seeds to put them in some kind of soil (as opposed to simple water as per one saleswoman's advice)... it says nothing about drainage material, and another saleswoman said that if I put soil in I can omit drainage... or possibly I could go all drainage material :confused: (but I've already bought a bag of soil). Also I shouldn't waste too much soil, and fill the pot only half-deep.

Opinions? :saddowns:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Catnip is pretty easy to grow because it's an evil mint plant. Use your soil or potting medium, fill the pot to an inch or half-inch of the lip, and sow the seeds to the suggested depth and distance (don't pour in all the seeds; put them in a plastic baggy and keep them in your fridge). Don't let the soil stay dry for longer than a day before the plants are well established, but don't keep the pot soggy like mud. It's less complicated than the salesfolk are making it sound. If your pot has a hole in the bottom, then you don't need to worry so much about drainage, just make sure you've got the pot on a saucer to catch overflow when you water the plants.

Before your nip gets a few inches high, keep it away from your cat(s) so it can get strong enough to survive a mowing session by your local addict.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Why are you people debating how high your cat can fall without it getting hurt/dying? Just stop letting your cats fall off your house, holy gently caress.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Drythe posted:

Why are you people debating how high your cat can fall without it getting hurt/dying? Just stop letting your cats fall off your house, holy gently caress.

Well you see it is okay if he falls because he'll only be hurt and not dead. :downs:

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

KKKlean Energy posted:

As per the thread title we adopted two assholes from the local shelter. They tolerate each other fairly well (as evidenced by this photo) but sadly they don't actually get along very well, despite a promising start. Was wondering if any catgoons have advice for us for, at the very least, not making it worse (by inappropriately reacting to their occasional squabbles, for example)

We adopted Harry first (the one on the left, 4 year old male) and then Leyla two months later (2 year old female). Both cats settled into the flat and with us very easily, and to begin with (when we were keeping them separated) they completely ignored each other's presence. They seem entirely happy with the other's smells (sleeping in the other's beds when we swap them) and there was no change in behaviour from Harry when Leyla arrived and no territorial behaviour from either of them.

So far so good, so after a month we let them meet each other. Harry was at most just slightly curious, and would usually go in for a sniff. On occasion Leyla wouldn't mind, but usually she swipes and hisses at him, then goes off to sulk (usually watching from a distance and growling). Harry is a slow learner but he's now (mostly) learned to keep his distance, and if Leyla walks too close he puts up his paws in defence (which usually causes Leyla to react, even if she was just trying to squeeze past). Harry just wants to play and be friends, so occasionally he goes off to sulk too whenever Leyla swipes at him. But he never growls or hisses or anything, he's just the epitome of a sweet, affectionate cat. I don't know what Leyla's problem is, but it's probably "because cats"

Anyway, currently we keep them separated when it's feeding time so they don't go after each others' food (which they would do because they're both terribly greedy) and whenever Leyla swipes we put her back in her bedroom (partly as a mild punishment and partly to allow Harry to feel safe). Is this right, and is there anything in particular we could do to encourage Leyla to be more friendly with Harry?

(for what it's worth, a friend of mine has an anecdote in which two cats in a similar situation started off by fighting (moreso than Harry and Leyla) but a few months later were best of friends... so that gives me hope)

I'm right in the middle of this process as well. We've had our female cat for a few years now and introduced a new friendly male cat. He's usually the one who's trying to play, she's the one who's defensive and doesn't want to be bothered by this new guy. I'm just waiting it out at this point. I'm just glad we can leave the bedroom door open now rather than them having troubles even standing the sight of each other.

Here's a picture of them being okay with each other.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Drythe posted:

Wasn't really a debate, just talking about studies that suggest cats are more likely to survive higher falls. Turned out the study was very flawed, discussion ended.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Shadowhand00 posted:

I'm right in the middle of this process as well. We've had our female cat for a few years now and introduced a new friendly male cat. He's usually the one who's trying to play, she's the one who's defensive and doesn't want to be bothered by this new guy. I'm just waiting it out at this point. I'm just glad we can leave the bedroom door open now rather than them having troubles even standing the sight of each other.

Here's a picture of them being okay with each other.

I suspect it's partly because female cats tend to be the territorial ones, though I've been told that a young, neutered male-female pair is the most likely to get along. Time will tell I guess.

How long has it been since you got the new cat?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Is there any way to teach cats to bury their poo poo?
Both mine will paw at every surface nearby that ISN'T the litter they just defiled, (walls, floor, outside of litterbox, etc.) even when they're still in the box.

Its kind of horrible being gassed by your cats dropping a deuce and not burying it.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

KKKlean Energy posted:

I suspect it's partly because female cats tend to be the territorial ones, though I've been told that a young, neutered male-female pair is the most likely to get along. Time will tell I guess.

How long has it been since you got the new cat?

Its been about 3 months now.

In the morning, the female cat will walk around with her tail puffed out, wawiting for a fight. The male cat will run around, waiting for the female to chase him around.

Its kind of hilarious and kind of sad since the girl cat just doesn't get it.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

Rand McNally posted:

Sasha's gone now. I"m okay now but tonight, when I don't have her to snuggle.. yeah. 23.5 of the best years of my life (there weren't that many before that, got her when I was 5). One of the last photos of her was from last weekend.

:sympathy: So sorry for your loss.

It sucks, that Parrots live forever but our feline friends don't. It's not fair and I've made that protest to the veterinarian!

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Shadowhand00 posted:

Its been about 3 months now.

In the morning, the female cat will walk around with her tail puffed out, wawiting for a fight. The male cat will run around, waiting for the female to chase him around.

Its kind of hilarious and kind of sad since the girl cat just doesn't get it.

You're not doing bad, honestly! I posted in May of 2013 about having a problem with a couple of my cats like this and they finally got over being offended at each other about two weeks ago. Cats. :catstare:

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I currently live in a place with a nice enclosed courtyard that my cat is happy to run around in without escaping (she's physically capable of it but too dumb to work it out and too timid to want to in any case). In a week or two I'll be moving to a house that has a massive back yard, but one that isn't nearly secure enough for me to want to let her out unsupervised. I'm thinking of building some kind of cat run/enclosure so she can still enjoy being outside a bit. Anyone got any recommendations for guides or ideas about what to make it out of or how expensive/difficult it's likely to be? I figure it can't be that expensive or difficult and would mostly involve a whole lot of chicken wire.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

piscesbobbie posted:

:sympathy: So sorry for your loss.

It sucks, that Parrots live forever but our feline friends don't. It's not fair and I've made that protest to the veterinarian!
ehhhhhhhh I don't know about that

Mirthless posted:

You're not doing bad, honestly! I posted in May of 2013 about having a problem with a couple of my cats like this and they finally got over being offended at each other about two weeks ago. Cats. :catstare:

My cats were finally ok enough with each other to sleep near each other after.....4-5 years?

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."

RedTonic posted:

Catnip is pretty easy to grow because it's an evil mint plant. Use your soil or potting medium, fill the pot to an inch or half-inch of the lip, and sow the seeds to the suggested depth and distance (don't pour in all the seeds; put them in a plastic baggy and keep them in your fridge). Don't let the soil stay dry for longer than a day before the plants are well established, but don't keep the pot soggy like mud. It's less complicated than the salesfolk are making it sound. If your pot has a hole in the bottom, then you don't need to worry so much about drainage, just make sure you've got the pot on a saucer to catch overflow when you water the plants.

Before your nip gets a few inches high, keep it away from your cat(s) so it can get strong enough to survive a mowing session by your local addict.

Thanks for the advice. Although I didn't expect that people grow catnip, and I don't think it's catnip I'm growing, but for whatever reason I thought an emoticon would suffice. I'm growing simple grass. I think the advice is still valid, though. :downs:

Organza Quiz posted:

I currently live in a place with a nice enclosed courtyard that my cat is happy to run around in without escaping (she's physically capable of it but too dumb to work it out and too timid to want to in any case). In a week or two I'll be moving to a house that has a massive back yard, but one that isn't nearly secure enough for me to want to let her out unsupervised. I'm thinking of building some kind of cat run/enclosure so she can still enjoy being outside a bit. Anyone got any recommendations for guides or ideas about what to make it out of or how expensive/difficult it's likely to be? I figure it can't be that expensive or difficult and would mostly involve a whole lot of chicken wire.

Are you sure chicken wire isn't your cat's favorite climbing material?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

toplitzin posted:

Is there any way to teach cats to bury their poo poo?
Both mine will paw at every surface nearby that ISN'T the litter they just defiled, (walls, floor, outside of litterbox, etc.) even when they're still in the box.

Its kind of horrible being gassed by your cats dropping a deuce and not burying it.

Are they kittens? I had a problem with one of mine. It was pretty annoying, but eventually she figured it out. She did the same thing you're describing and I tried to teach her by scrapping her paws in there litter, but that didn't help.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Hell, grass is even easier. You don't even need it to be in light for an initial sprout. Just keep it somewhere warm for 3 - 5 days, like under your kitchen sink with shrink wrap over it and the drat stuff will sprout like stink. Really anything will work as long as you don't drown it or dehydrate it. Sorry for misunderstanding!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Are they kittens? I had a problem with one of mine. It was pretty annoying, but eventually she figured it out. She did the same thing you're describing and I tried to teach her by scrapping her paws in there litter, but that didn't help.

Nope, they're both about 3.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

supermikhail posted:

Are you sure chicken wire isn't your cat's favorite climbing material?

It may well be! I'm intending on making something closed at the top so it doesn't matter if she climbs it. That said, she has really terrible balance for a cat and I've never seen her climb anything in her life so it might not actually occur to her.

Aradekasta
May 20, 2007
MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW

MEOWMEOWMEOWMEOWMEOWMEOWMEOWMEOW

I have a cat. I think the entire neighborhood knows I have a cat. The constant repetitive blasts of high-pitched sound may be sonicating my brain.

He's 5ish, neutered, and was adopted from a shelter about six months ago after an unknown amount of time as a stray. This is not really new behavior, but it's getting worse. I usually feed the cats as soon as I get home at night, and after he finishes his dinner he settles in for a good two hours of constant meowing. And then just when I can't take it anymore and am thinking about what wine goes well with roast cat, he comes into the living room and curls up in my lap and purrs his furry little rear end off.

I can't figure out what the hell he wants. He will stop temporarily if I lock him in the bathroom, and he doesn't meow while I'm out, so it's triggered by having a human around. The only time he's ever kept his mouth shut all evening was when I left several huge bowls of food out all day, to see how much the cats would need left for them while I was out of town for a weekend. Other than that, he has never, not once, gotten extra food as a result of all the meowing. Playtime and distractions help briefly, but even feathers-on-a-stick is less interesting than meowing at the walls.

I'd try the trick of giving him treats when he's quiet, but he's super-extra-crazy food motivated and his behavior completely changes in the presence of treats. He actually shuts up and purrs and rubs my legs instead, but if charm doesn't help he then moves on to grabbing, swatting, scratching, clawing, etc. I can't seem to think of anything that's both rewarding enough to reinforce quietness and non-stimulating enough to avoid OMG TREATS mode. Any ideas?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Some cats do this when they want to go outside, is it possible he's formerly an outdoor cat? In any case, it sounds like the previous owners of the cat reinforced some bad habits so he's probably shouting for something that seems obvious to him and he's going to keep shouting until he gets it or gives up. He should eventually figure out it's not going to work, but cats are very stubborn so it could be a while.

Here's an article about this that seems pretty good

quote:

Hypervocalization as an attention-getting behavior should be conscientiously ignored, i.e. treated by attention withdrawal on the part of the owner. Note, however, the problem may get worse before it gets better. To hurry the process of attention withdrawal, the owner can use a "bridging stimulus," a neutral sound used to signal the owner's imminent withdrawal of attention or departure from a room. Duck calls, tuning forks, or sounding a low note on a piano may be used as bridging stimuli. The idea is not to punish but rather to signal to the cat that there is about to be a transition.

toplitzin posted:

At this point you're probably stuck with unburied poops.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Dec 3, 2014

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Aradekasta posted:

MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW

Sounds like he's worried about not having enough food, considering he's been a stray for possibly a very long time and he shuts up if there's extra food around. Could you just leave out a bowl of dry food for him so he can see that he's not going to starve? From what you said it sounded like you feed him a set amount at meal times but also that he can be trusted not to just stuff his face with as much food as can fit in it at all times.

The blue bunny
May 29, 2013

supermikhail posted:

I know this is not the right thread, but I have no idea how to go about finding the right thread (...because I don't have platinum? :ohdear:). It's tangentially related.

I've bought a pot for a new batch of :420: for my cat, but I have no idea how to go about it. Or rather (because I already have one pot, but that one seems to have passed its expiration date), I've been given some conflicting advice by various salespersons. It clearly says on the seeds to put them in some kind of soil (as opposed to simple water as per one saleswoman's advice)... it says nothing about drainage material, and another saleswoman said that if I put soil in I can omit drainage... or possibly I could go all drainage material :confused: (but I've already bought a bag of soil). Also I shouldn't waste too much soil, and fill the pot only half-deep.

Opinions? :saddowns:

I am attempting to grow cat grass and nip. They came with soil when you buy herb kits. Plant seeds 5mm down from memory.

I planted these catnip seeds 2.5month ago ( they probably need more sun and someone with a green thumb)

Pretend you live in Oz and ask these people for advise (they sell the catnip an cat grass seed here)

http://mrfothergills-seeds-bulbs.com.au/Catnip-Seed-Raiser.html

The blue bunny fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Dec 3, 2014

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

One of my cats gets dangerously obsessed with cat grass, and if you leave him alone with it he will rip it all out and eat every piece before vomiting grassy foam everywhere.

If you put it outside or away where he can't get it he yells at you to get it for him constantly :sigh:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

CompactFanny posted:

One of my cats gets dangerously obsessed with cat grass, and if you leave him alone with it he will rip it all out and eat every piece before vomiting grassy foam everywhere.

If you put it outside or away where he can't get it he yells at you to get it for him constantly :sigh:

Cat grass gluttony, amazing.

Blue bunny, if you give them more light and warmth, those babby catmints should get much stronger. I'm guessing you're in NA so that might be a challenge if you don't have a south-facing window. Sticking them under a desk lamp that's safe to leave on while you're out is an option.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

toplitzin posted:

You might look into one of those covered litter boxes that has an air filter built in.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Organza Quiz posted:

I'm thinking of building some kind of cat run/enclosure so she can still enjoy being outside a bit. Anyone got any recommendations for guides or ideas about what to make it out of or how expensive/difficult it's likely to be?

We use a 6'x12' dog kennel for our cat yard. Ours was new but I see them all the time on Craigslist. The kennel came with a sun shade that kept the cats in reliably until a grommet broke (a cat ran away but came back at dinner time). We recovered the top with chicken wire and it's working fine now.

Aradekasta
May 20, 2007

Mirthless posted:

Some cats do this when they want to go outside, is it possible he's formerly an outdoor cat? In any case, it sounds like the previous owners of the cat reinforced some bad habits so he's probably shouting for something that seems obvious to him and he's going to keep shouting until he gets it or gives up. He should eventually figure out it's not going to work, but cats are very stubborn so it could be a while.

Here's an article about this that seems pretty good

I don't know if he was ever an "owned" outdoor cat - I live in a big city and it's not that common here. I haven't let him out since I got him. If it weren't for the screaming I'd let him hang out in the backyard, but I don't want him to have another thing to scream about.

Thanks for the article. It says this gets worse before it gets better. It's getting worse. Maybe he'll stop soon? :pray:

Organza Quiz posted:

Sounds like he's worried about not having enough food, considering he's been a stray for possibly a very long time and he shuts up if there's extra food around. Could you just leave out a bowl of dry food for him so he can see that he's not going to starve? From what you said it sounded like you feed him a set amount at meal times but also that he can be trusted not to just stuff his face with as much food as can fit in it at all times.

I do feed set amounts. I'm trying to avoid leaving food out because the other cat is a fatty fat fat. He might just have to stay fat for a while, though. I'm not sure how long meowcat was a stray - he was neutered at the shelter, so that was pretty late, but I know he came in healthy and uninjured. The vet who saw him after I adopted him kept commenting on how lean and fit he was, and begged me not to let him get fat.

The timing thing is just so weird. He doesn't yell after breakfast in the morning, but he always does after dinner. It doesn't matter what time I come home, whether I've been gone for an hour or ten, whether I ate out or cook in front of him. If he's worried about starving, he stops worrying after two hours. If I go to bed before two hours are up, he'll stop - but he knows the difference between going to bed and sitting in the bedroom with my laptop. If I'm home in the evening I'm just hanging around on the computer/watching TV/reading - not really giving him direct attention and not doing anything that changes after two hours. It's like he has a meow timer in his brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Aradekasta posted:

The timing thing is just so weird. He doesn't yell after breakfast in the morning, but he always does after dinner. It doesn't matter what time I come home, whether I've been gone for an hour or ten, whether I ate out or cook in front of him. If he's worried about starving, he stops worrying after two hours. If I go to bed before two hours are up, he'll stop - but he knows the difference between going to bed and sitting in the bedroom with my laptop. If I'm home in the evening I'm just hanging around on the computer/watching TV/reading - not really giving him direct attention and not doing anything that changes after two hours. It's like he has a meow timer in his brain.
My cat doesn't yowl at the door in the morning or when I go back to the apartment for Lunch, doesn't even greet me at the door for the latter. However after work or in the afternoon, if I take out the trash he starts meowing at me constantly and uses his scratcher (does this when he's pissed/wants attention or food). He gets a quarter can of wet at night and is free fed dry, which is the initial begging when I get home, but after that I figure he just wants me to go to bed so he can cuddle and sleep.

He's slowly getting better, this is 10 months in. Before November he would cry at the door at any time I was not in the apartment.

Does anyone have a suggestion to stop a cat from petting/touching/grabbing your face if you pet him? Really annoying after he sheds a claw and in general. He's a very paw-touchy cat.