Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
IIRC, Traviss was actually told to use the three million clone trooper figure by Lucasfilm to begin with. It's still retarded, but that's one thing you can't really blame on her. Hell, the book Labyrinth of Evil by fan favorite James Luceno would have you believe that the Clone Army had less than one million troopers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

The three million figure makes sense if the entire purpose of the war was to scatter the jedi along a huge, strung-out front where they could be easily picked off once the time came. But, just like having the clone army secretly started by Palpatine, Lucas had to change his mind about it since apparently things like foreshadowing and having a plot that makes sense are anathema to Star Wars.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Loden Taylor posted:

The three million figure makes sense if the entire purpose of the war was to scatter the jedi along a huge, strung-out front where they could be easily picked off once the time came. But, just like having the clone army secretly started by Palpatine, Lucas had to change his mind about it since apparently things like foreshadowing and having a plot that makes sense are anathema to Star Wars.

ok i'll go wage galactic war with less troops than it took to garrison nazi germany after ww2 :lol:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
She also managed to "fix" the numbers issue by having a few billion clones secretly held in reserve on Coruscant's moon. Once the Jedi were wiped out, the massive occupation force would roll over the galaxy.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

She also managed to "fix" the numbers issue by having a few billion clones secretly held in reserve on Coruscant's moon. Once the Jedi were wiped out, the massive occupation force would roll over the galaxy.

ok conservatively assuming 1 billion clones and ten thousand jedi that means roughly 100% of the clone army were not deployed and 1 jedi is worth about 100000 clones on the battlefield

i mean come on karen traviss you don't have to wank about jedi superpowers that hard~

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I don't get why everyone's so hung up on the stupid Selonians from those Corellia books. I read those books when I was 10 or so and yeah they were trash, but in the proverbial toilet bowl of the Star Wars EU the Selonians aren't a very remarkable turd. They're just another generic space furries species in a universe that's long been jam-packed with space furries starting with Chewbacca himself, in the space opera genre where space furries seem to be mandatory (Known Space, Star Trek, Wing Commander, etc.). They speak stupid broken English, they have "exotic" misogyny, they're just generically lame and certainly not as much as a howler as Han Solo's evil cousin who is literally just a fat Han Solo with Saddam Hussein's moustache or that ancient superweapon that drags planets between star systems.

Speaking of space furries and Wing Commander, Chris Roberts is literally George Lucas, but a video game developer instead of a movie director. The 2.5D Wing Commander games are the original trilogy, where he has people like Warren Spector who are far more competent than him making his stories tolerable and keeping the stupid poo poo minimized, then they go away, Chris Roberts takes total control, and you get Wing Commander 3 and 4--intrusive, terribly acted, tedious technology-driven cinematic masturbation (this time the gimmick is FMV, whereas the PT gimmick is CGI), cack-handed World War II analogies, utterly reprehensible themes (genocide is OK because the Kilrathi are evil evil EEEEEVIIIIIL to the core and there's not a single good one), ridiculous supervillain antagonists (Admiral Tolwyn belongs in a Wolfenstein game), utterly wrecking the characterization of the most memorable character in the previous installments (Hobbes : Wing Commander III = Obi-Wan Kenobi : Star Wars Episode 1), and a complete lack of focus or discipline. Then Prophecy is that one Star Wars Thunderbirds-ripoff CG movie with the gay Hutt.

I wonder what George Lucas's answer to Scam Citizen will be! :toot:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

Han Solo's evil cousin who is literally just a fat Han Solo with Saddam Hussein's moustache
Now you got to post the picture :colbert:

quote:

or that ancient superweapon that drags planets between star systems.
until then, star wars was mercifully free of ~ancient~ ~superior~ ~progenitor aliens~

i mean kotor had the eyestalk people but they talked and could be shot

quote:

Speaking of space furries and Wing Commander, Chris Roberts is literally George Lucas
The most apt comparison evere made :golfclap:

:lol: at anyone who spent actual money on star shitizen, which is all the justification ever needed for cultural pessimism

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The Corellian trilogy also started the whole "the Solo children are magic on a new level beyond Jedi" with Anakin walking through an impenetrable force field and all. But luckily when I was 9 and reading them I mainly just cared about all the c00l descriptions of how Centerpoint and the town inside and its artificial sun worked.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I misremembered, he has a beard, but still he is basically a clone of Han Solo and the narrative even acknowledged it:

If you want to single out one of the space furries, this is the one:

quote:

Ikrit was a male Kushiban from the world of Kushibah who was trained as a Jedi by Yoda, and later became a Jedi Master. During his career with the Jedi Order, he discovered a Massassi Temple on Yavin 4 which trapped the souls of many Massassi children. After failing to free them, he went into a self-imposed exile until the person that could free them came to the temple. By doing this, he avoided all Jedi events for the next four hundred years, including the Clone Wars and the Great Jedi Purge.

During his very lengthy exile on Yavin 4, he met a young Anakin Solo, who originally believed him to be just a pet. After being discovered to be an exiled Jedi Master, Ikrit, Anakin, and Tahiri Veila worked together to solve the puzzle of the Golden Globe, and freed the souls of the trapped Massassi children. After solving the puzzle, Ikrit revealed himself to be a Jedi Master to the rest of the New Jedi Order. He accompanied Anakin and Tahiri on their adventures until the Yuuzhan Vong War, where he sacrificed himself in order to ensure Anakin and Tahiri's escape. He was killed by the Peace Brigade shortly thereafter.

Yes, a Jedi Master who is the size and approximate shape of a Pomeranian.

quote:

Ikrit—who had sworn not to wield a lightsaber until he had found worthy students—made his decision and join Anakin and Tahiri in their fight.
How can you use a lightsaber if you don't have hands? (yes, he has a lightsaber)

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 3, 2014

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
He used the bark side of the force

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Last night I learned of mythosaurs, a beast hunted to extinction by Mandalorians because their skulls were awesome looking.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mythosaur

There was a time when they used scale armor and swords but they still used those Boba Fett helmets? They've been using the same helmet design for what must be tens of thousands of years. :psyduck:

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
wait... wait.... the clone troopers were numbered in the... millions???

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Woolie Wool posted:

There was a time when they used scale armor and swords but they still used those Boba Fett helmets? They've been using the same helmet design for what must be tens of thousands of years. :psyduck:

this really shouldnt surprise you

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I remember the Mandalorian party member in KOTOR 1 talked about his experiences in battles, but his language was so vague I couldn't even tell if he was fighting on the ground or piloting a spaceship or fighting with jetpacks in zero-G like in Enders Game's laser tag.

But then I found out that he was riding some sort of mechanical semi-sapient droid beast animal thing. Which they used instead of a normal vehicle with seats or protection for the pilot.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
Skippy the Jedi droid gets my vote... good god what the gently caress? Also that tale where Vader wears white armor was good too.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJgLa3eKMYs

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

RAGE HOLE posted:

Oh sweet jesus...

This image is definitely the most cringeworthy EU thing I have seen yet.

No, it's glorious.

Burn, Ewoks, BURN! :twisted:

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Woolie Wool posted:

No, it's glorious.

Burn, Ewoks, BURN! :twisted:

gotta kettch em all

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Woolie Wool posted:

When they introduced General Grevious and gave him his convoluted backstory other than "cyborg Jedi-killer with trophy lightsabers", they explained his face was some ornamental face mask of his culture instead of a hundred other reasons.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I remember the Mandalorian party member in KOTOR 1 talked about his experiences in battles, but his language was so vague I couldn't even tell if he was fighting on the ground or piloting a spaceship or fighting with jetpacks in zero-G like in Enders Game's laser tag.

But then I found out that he was riding some sort of mechanical semi-sapient droid beast animal thing. Which they used instead of a normal vehicle with seats or protection for the pilot.

Actually, it depends on which KOTOR play. In the first one, it's very obviously described as this, because the "Basilisk War Droid" actually appeared in the Dark Horse EU comics first before KOTOR...

But in KOTOR 2, it was retcon by Chris Avellone and the game developers to be similar to a semi-autonomous single-man space bike, largely because they felt the bestial appearance was "stupid" and tried to reconcile it with the more modern design of the films.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Im calling it first, gonna get rich with Dwarf Fortress novels.

You'd be better off writing about one of those popular phone games. Flappy Bird, the Novelization (actually I don't know what phone games are popular with kids).

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Who has the comic panel of Vader holding C3POs head and crying?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Young Freud posted:

Actually, it depends on which KOTOR play. In the first one, it's very obviously described as this, because the "Basilisk War Droid" actually appeared in the Dark Horse EU comics first before KOTOR...

But in KOTOR 2, it was retcon by Chris Avellone and the game developers to be similar to a semi-autonomous single-man space bike, largely because they felt the bestial appearance was "stupid" and tried to reconcile it with the more modern design of the films.

Avellone's depiction of the Basilisk may be more accurate - it looks strikingly similar to (Shadows of the Empire's) Price Xizor's Virago, a StarViper-class attack platform he bought from Mandalmotors, the Mandalorian ship engineering and construction firm. It's not at all out of the question that Mandalmotors would base the StarViper design off their proven Basilisk model, so it makes sense that the KOTOR 2 Basilisk would look like it does.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

burritolingus posted:

You'd be better off writing about one of those popular phone games. Flappy Bird, the Novelization (actually I don't know what phone games are popular with kids).

its minecraft

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Woolie Wool posted:

If you want to single out one of the space furries, this is the one:

I forgot that Kyubey was in Star Wars.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
wait what about the ewok jedi that got chewie a jeffersons star ship record.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Bonzo posted:

Who has the comic panel of Vader holding C3POs head and crying?

Best part is they had the nerve to insert this into Empire's storyline.

david... posted:

its minecraft

Yeah, that's what I thought.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

burritolingus posted:

Best part is they had the nerve to insert this into Empire.

gently caress, star wars is so bad.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

burritolingus posted:

Best part is they had the nerve to insert this into Empire's storyline.

Hell, that version is already outdated. Here's the new one.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

RocketLunatic posted:

Just finished Tarkin, for instance, which had little compelling going for it. Who cares about Grand Moff Tarkin? They paint him as a typical "Mary Sue" villain, cunning and vicious and principled and brilliant. The guy gets blown up with his stupid Death Star. They could have at least foreshadowed that instead of making it like he was a genius tactician. The whole plot is how his custom stealth ship gets stolen by some Rebels and taken for a joy ride, and he and Vader have to go hunt it down. A Star Wars' "Where's my car" take.

"Well what does MY tattoo say?"
"Darth!"
"Sith!"
"DARTH!"
"SITH!"

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

"Well what does MY tattoo say?"
"Darth!"
"Sith!"
"DARTH!"
"SITH!"

i saw that in theater i mean, dude where is my car

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

TOILETLORD posted:

i saw that in theater i mean, dude where is my car

me too tbh

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
The best thing about KOTOR is that it takes place so far in the universe's past that you never hear the words Skywalker, Solo, or Yoda. You can improve on Star Wars so easily if you just avoid having every single character entangled unbelievably with the main cast of the original trilogy.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Soulcleaver posted:

The best thing about KOTOR is that it takes place so far in the universe's past that you never hear the words Skywalker, Solo, or Yoda. You can improve on Star Wars so easily if you just avoid having every single character entangled unbelievably with the main cast of the original trilogy.

i want a HK-47 movie that is just a horror movie where a senator slowly watches his staff get picked off one by one until he knows he is next.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

gohuskies posted:

Avellone's depiction of the Basilisk may be more accurate - it looks strikingly similar to (Shadows of the Empire's) Price Xizor's Virago, a StarViper-class attack platform he bought from Mandalmotors, the Mandalorian ship engineering and construction firm. It's not at all out of the question that Mandalmotors would base the StarViper design off their proven Basilisk model, so it makes sense that the KOTOR 2 Basilisk would look like it does.

Eh, if it comes up in game, I'm gonna say they look like this.

Sunshine Mix
Jun 11, 2009
So I was wondering this last night...if the clone army was made in secret, how did they keep the construction of the blasters, dropships, spaceships, armor, etc secret? IIRC these were made by "established" EU companies like BlasTech, KDY etc and weren't made by the Kaminoans or Kaminoan clients building them in secret. Was there ever an EU explanation for that? Did Sifo-Diyas contact the equivalent of Lockheed Martin and ask them to develop new shiny spaceships on his lonesome and they we like, "Uh. Okay sure we'll forgo the deposit this time."

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Soulcleaver posted:

yeah how do they do poo poo across like every square inch of the known universe simultaneously?? anyways the star wars eu is trash and bad

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Sunshine Mix posted:

So I was wondering this last night...if the clone army was made in secret, how did they keep the construction of the blasters, dropships, spaceships, armor, etc secret? IIRC these were made by "established" EU companies like BlasTech, KDY etc and weren't made by the Kaminoans or Kaminoan clients building them in secret. Was there ever an EU explanation for that? Did Sifo-Diyas contact the equivalent of Lockheed Martin and ask them to develop new shiny spaceships on his lonesome and they we like, "Uh. Okay sure we'll forgo the deposit this time."

The official, canon explanation for this is that Lucas wrote episode 2 over the course of an afternoon and they never went beyond a first draft.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Soulcleaver posted:

and yet they still manage to have Tatooine be a major player in the plot, have a guy who looks and talks exactly like Yoda act as your character's master, have two protocol droids serve as your bumbling comic relief, give you a palette swap of the Millenium Falcon as your personal ship, and have the villain be a deformed sith with a facial prosthesis and modulated voice

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

burritolingus posted:

The official, canon explanation for this is that Lucas wrote episode 2 over the course of an afternoon and they never went beyond a first draft.

It's kind of mind-blowing that a movie that cost tens of millions of dollars was literally shot using the first pass of a rough draft of the script. I mean, I guess everyone figured they were getting a paycheck and selling a billion toys anyway, so gently caress it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

...of SCIENCE! posted:

and yet they still manage to have Tatooine be a major player in the plot, have a guy who looks and talks exactly like Yoda act as your character's master, have two protocol droids serve as your bumbling comic relief, give you a palette swap of the Millenium Falcon as your personal ship, and have the villain be a deformed sith with a facial prosthesis and modulated voice

loving destroyed, KOTOR.

• Locked thread