Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Fried Chicken posted:

Only if you ignore how prevalent upcoding is.

Yeah, I'll concede on that point. Hospitals overcharging so that when they get reimbursed at a lower rate they're still covered is definitely a thing

Also, aren't Medicaid reimbursement percentages actually higher now than they are for Medicare? Thought I read something from the AHA about that the other day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Good Citizen posted:

Yeah, I'll concede on that point. Hospitals overcharging so that when they get reimbursed at a lower rate they're still covered is definitely a thing

Also, aren't Medicaid reimbursement percentages actually higher now than they are for Medicare? Thought I read something from the AHA about that the other day

Couldn't comment on the latter, but I'd be interested in seeing anything on it. I was under the impression medicaid was far cheaper in all regards and thus served as a better foundation for single payer policy than medicare. But the stuff I saw on that was prior to the scouts ruling on the expansion so the myriad of ways states are doing it could have shifted the aggregate cost curve

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Fried Chicken posted:

Couldn't comment on the latter, but I'd be interested in seeing anything on it. I was under the impression medicaid was far cheaper in all regards and thus served as a better foundation for single payer policy than medicare. But the stuff I saw on that was prior to the scouts ruling on the expansion so the myriad of ways states are doing it could have shifted the aggregate cost curve

The AHA claims that Medicare is reimbursing at 3% lower than Medicaid based on cost.
http://www.aha.org/research/policy/finfactsheets.shtml

Of course they're a hospital advocacy group and the 2014 update still seems to be using 2012 figures so who knows. The re-admit penalty hitting hospitals this year will probably claw a few percentage points off the top of Medicare as well

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

Pervis posted:

Gotta love how Medicare can overpay for devices and drugs and nobody bats an eye. It's like military appropriations, but for old people. Create a project that's a bitch to remove or modify without producing nasty soundbites against likely voters, but that ultimately also drives the deficit up giving you win/win when you aren't in power (not that anyone really remembers the splurge of 2002-2006).

What is hilarious about this is that Medicare costs are still dramatically lower than free market markups for healthcare, as Brill noted in his article.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
I do feel like there is a disproportionate amount of funds and time spent on, for instance, erection medicine as opposed to things like breast cancer.

That being said, when people can function physically and sexually it increases the overall health of a society and decreases crime.

I was fortunate enough to have a professor that explained political science as including one facet: "Maybe, a diplomat woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Maybe, she had a fight with her husband the night before. Individuals are involved and their petty choices or misfortunes can be the factor that pushes two nations into war."

Would be nice if in Ferguson it was merely one person instead of an entire local justice department hell bent on criminality and violence. They sent riot cops after peaceful protesters for hours and hours while the rest of the city burned. They knowingly and deliberately avoided the looters and thieves to pick on the peaceful demonstrators. They put retired, empty cop cars 30' ahead of the police line on purpose (no, it doesn't make it okay to destroy municipal property, that does not excuse this intentional tactic though).

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

quote:

"Protecting the city, if it is possible, will require innovative solutions."

Those solutions are not likely to be forthcoming from the political realm.

'murica!! :911:

Florida deserves to go the way of Atlantis. Good riddance.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Post 9-11 User posted:

Would be nice if in Ferguson it was merely one person instead of an entire local justice department hell bent on criminality and violence. They sent riot cops after peaceful protesters for hours and hours while the rest of the city burned. They knowingly and deliberately avoided the looters and thieves to pick on the peaceful demonstrators. They put retired, empty cop cars 30' ahead of the police line on purpose (no, it doesn't make it okay to destroy municipal property, that does not excuse this intentional tactic though).

The sick reality behind events like Ferguson is that the white middle class in the U.S. seems to be more concerned about the potential for a piece of gene-modified corn appearing in their salad than the outright racism on display with police forces around the country. I was blown away to hear a relative actively celebrating the death of Brown during Thanksgiving (rest assured once my family members related to him pass on, I'll never talk to the rear end in a top hat again). There are just too many people that think this is how things should work, and they're absolutely pleased with the way things turned out.

Anecdotal as it may be, I get the feeling the US is headed to a very sad and sick place in the future, especially with the public overwhelmingly voting Republican recently. I think the majority of Americans ultimately do want to bring back racial segregation and don't care about environmental destruction (as evidenced by SUV and large truck sales taking off again after the gas prices decreased) and the stripping of worker's rights with "right to work" legislation, because many are in a position in life where they won't live long enough to see any serious consequences.

I think the best thing that can happen is for the boomers to die off and let a younger generation try again, but I know in my heart it'll be too late. :smith:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

It's stuff like this why there've been some rumblings of South Florida breaking away to become its own state. Can't really blame them.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
So assuming that sea levels do eventually rise enough to gently caress with major US cities, how long will it take for the sea level rise to occur?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ballz posted:

It's stuff like this why there've been some rumblings of South Florida breaking away to become its own state. Can't really blame them.

To hell with that, just make the state north of Orlando part of Georgia or Alabama. Gainesville can stay as an exclave.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

computer parts posted:

So assuming that sea levels do eventually rise enough to gently caress with major US cities, how long will it take for the sea level rise to occur?

Most cities? Decades. Miami? Well, uh, it's sort of already happening, so they're going to have slow but steady increases in how inconvenient it gets. Still probably decades from "infeasibly expensive to operate", but they're already investing in more pumps to, you know, keep the storm sewers at highest tide from flooding the streets in saltwater.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Ripoff posted:

The sick reality behind events like Ferguson is that the white middle class in the U.S. seems to be more concerned about the potential for a piece of gene-modified corn appearing in their salad than the outright racism on display with police forces around the country. I was blown away to hear a relative actively celebrating the death of Brown during Thanksgiving (rest assured once my family members related to him pass on, I'll never talk to the rear end in a top hat again). There are just too many people that think this is how things should work, and they're absolutely pleased with the way things turned out.

Uh, no. The Midwest gives zero fucks about GMOs. Hell, a GMO labeling law failed in Colorado, home of legal weed. I know this thread loves to jerk off to the thought of tens of millions of white people hating science but it's just not true. The average middle class white voter only cares about what they perceive as their economic self interest, and that's it, period.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
GMO is a buzz word bought into by anti science assholes on both sides. Don't go thinking it's just a liberal hippie douche or right wing blow hard thing. Oh no my corn is built to need less water oh no.

Monsanto can gently caress right off though.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

computer parts posted:

Miami is already affected by saltwater intrusion in the Biscayne aquifer.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Hands up don't post

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Ted Cruz, Steve King, and Michele Bachmann are holding a press conference at noon to urge the House not to go along with Boehner's plan to fund the government. :getin:

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

saintonan posted:

Medicare seriously buys $450 million worth of penis pumps every year?

After reading the article, it sounds like we should be imprisoning people for gouging medicare, but that'll neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeever happen.

Instead of bitch slapping bad actors, we're going to just shut off all funding for the overpriced items.

This is ARE gubmint.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Post 9-11 User posted:

I do feel like there is a disproportionate amount of funds and time spent on, for instance, erection medicine as opposed to things like breast cancer.

Fortunately there isn't. If anything, breast cancer research gets too much money (proportionally) thanks to all the awareness it gets as opposed to other diseases.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

duz posted:

Fortunately there isn't. If anything, breast cancer research gets too much money (proportionally) thanks to all the awareness it gets as opposed to other diseases.

And because 'Boobs'

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

If memory serves, if we went after diseases in terms of how many deaths they have caused, the flu would be at the top of the list.

I do know that if we targeted based off how much they cost to treat we would be going after diabetes. Because with that it isn't just the insulin, it is also the eventual dialysis and/or amputation, the disability pay and paying for assisted care after those, that type II has all the obesity related issues but exasperated by the diabetes... It gets expensive real fast.

But that would require a Manhattan Project style approach to the disease plus a complete overhaul of our food production subsidies and incentives and nutritional and exercise information campaigns and school programs. So that's never gonna happen

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Obesity would also be up there. It carries with it an insane amount of increased risk for just about everything bad medically including a huge correlation with type 2 diabetes.

But holy poo poo good luck with even getting most people to even admit it is a medical condition much less addressing the causative factors.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Joementum posted:

Ted Cruz, Steve King, and Michele Bachmann are holding a press conference at noon to urge the House not to go along with Boehner's plan to fund the government. :getin:

The only way this plan could get any dumber is if it involved Jose Canseco. Are these people that divorced from reality?

Joementum posted:

Ted Cruz, Steve King, and Michele Bachmann

Well.

2 out of 3 ain't bad, but I thought Cruz was sociopathic and not developmentally challenged.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Historically, flu may be the top killer. In terms of singular killer now, it's either heart attacks or a cancer, lung I believe. Pan-cancer deaths and pan-cardiovascular disease deaths are about even and flip 1/2, though you can massage those numbers based on classification.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

mdemone posted:

2 out of 3 ain't bad, but I thought Cruz was sociopathic and not developmentally challenged.

Cruz is not dumb, he's extremely intelligent and completely amoral.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Unzip and Attack posted:

Eh, I'm starting to have doubts on that. Yeah, he's not completely dumb, but I think people overestimate his intelligence. Above average, sure, but that isn't saying much, honestly.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm waiting to see what Cruz's Tea Party hero end game is before I credit him with Moriarty level intelligence. It just doesn't seem like his plan is going anywhere and I'm not confident he's going to be a Senator for life, Presidential nominee, or get some cushy industry job handed to him afterward (at least based on his service).

He seems like a guy with above average intelligence that has bought his own hype.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Unzip and Attack posted:

I'm having a hard time buying the idea that the guy is intelligent. His backers and advisers may be intelligent, but I suspect the guy is dumber than a bag of rocks.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Cruz was one of the top guys at the Harvard Law Review so he might be a crazy sociopath but he certainly isn't dumb.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt to a guy who got through Harvard Law School that he's smart. It's just we keep hearing how much of a mega genius this guy is when all evidense after he was elected seems to point to the contrary. Even his stupid fake filibuster ended up with him being outsmarted by Reid. I'm sure he's smart is certain aspects of life, but that doesn't mean that everything he does or plans is a masterstroke.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ethiser posted:

Cruz was one of the top guys at the Harvard Law Review so he might be a crazy sociopath but he certainly isn't dumb.

Fair enough, but what I've tend to notice is people mistake book knowledge for intellectualism.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Radish posted:

He seems like a guy with above average intelligence that has bought his own hype.
Yeah I get the feeling he's been huffing his own farts for too long.

e: Remember, this is the guy who completely missed the loving point of Green Eggs and Ham, a book written for toddlers.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Harvard doesn't impress me, Law Review or otherwise. There are a lot of dumb motherfuckers that went to Harvard.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Did the stupid fake filibuster cost him any power or career prospects? He was pandering to people who wouldn't see, understand, or care about any of that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SubponticatePoster posted:

e: Remember, this is the guy who completely missed the loving point of Green Eggs and Ham, a book written for toddlers.

I don't think anyone could live that down. Even my two year old figured out Green Eggs and Ham and how it was just a trick to make him try new things.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

haveblue posted:

Did the stupid fake filibuster cost him any power or career prospects? He was pandering to people who wouldn't see, understand, or care about any of that.

Cruz is going to go as far as he always was, which is where he is now. He's a one term Senator who is going to spend the rest of his life as a periodic Fox News contributor until the network dies as a result of media's shifting landscape or the death of its entire user base.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I think he has at least one more term in him before tides shift and someone comes along to knock him out in the primary. That's assuming he wants to run of course instead of going to head up some shadow money pac.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

I think he has at least one more term in him before tides shift and someone comes along to knock him out in the primary. That's assuming he wants to run of course instead of going to head up some shadow money pac.

Him winning the primary in the first place was an galactic confluence coincidence that was made possible by the election being pushed back, historically low turnout, and a criminally complacent opponent who was literally being robbed blind by his best friend and campaign manager. The GOP establishment in Texas loving hates him and Cruz won't have Obama to run against in 2018.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Most cities? Decades. Miami? Well, uh, it's sort of already happening, so they're going to have slow but steady increases in how inconvenient it gets. Still probably decades from "infeasibly expensive to operate", but they're already investing in more pumps to, you know, keep the storm sewers at highest tide from flooding the streets in saltwater.

Hell, pick a section and shore up the building you need to, buy some gondolas and done. You've got Little Venice with bath salts and meth.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Radish posted:

I'm waiting to see what Cruz's Tea Party hero end game is before I credit him with Moriarty level intelligence. It just doesn't seem like his plan is going anywhere and I'm not confident he's going to be a Senator for life, Presidential nominee, or get some cushy industry job handed to him afterward (at least based on his service).

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/ted-cruz-not-that-conservative

quote:

Sen. Ted Cruz is not "all that conservative," says Sen. Ted Cruz.

The Texas Republican and tea party favorite made the unexpected remarks to Jewish donors in New York City, according to the New York Observer.

He said: “I don’t think I’m all that conservative. And it’s interesting. Reagan never once beat his chest and said ‘I’m the most conservative guy who ever lived.’ Reagan said, ‘I’m defending common sense principles—small businesses, small towns.'”

Cruz also met privately with Republican mega-donor Sheldon Adelson, whom the Observer reported found the Texan to be "too right wing" and unlikely to win the 2016 presidential nomination, citing an anonymous source.

His plan is now tack to the center and pick up a rich backer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Let's all keep some perspective and remember that Ted Cruz will never be the GOP nominee, much less President, ever ever ever.

• Locked thread