Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

SKY COQ posted:

I'm absolutely not defending GTA here - the series has always had massive problems with depictions of women. But. This particular 'feature' has been in the series since GTA3 came out in 2001. This is a really weird moral panic campaign that's inexplicably only targeted a single retailer.

And they've been selling the xbox360 version for months in the same drat shops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Yes but you see now you can kill sex workers IN FIRST PERSON

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
They're missing a prime opportunity here to flag anyone that does kill a sex worker in-game, though.

Shunkymonky
Sep 10, 2006
'sup
The recurring argument on their facebook post of "WELL YOU SELL 50 SHADES OF GREY WHAT ABOUT THE VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN IN THAT" is enough to sway me to the pulp all video games side.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

SKY COQ posted:

This is a really weird moral panic campaign that's inexplicably only targeted a single retailer.

The reason they single out retailers like this (or so I'm told, I don't know if it really makes much difference) is because they're easier to pick off one by one - if you threaten them all at once and one or two immediately say no then the rest will probably move the same way, but if you threaten them individually and sequentially with no prior warning they're more likely to acquiesce.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Videogame encourages lovely, regressive behaviour towards women. News at 11.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

There is some killer lightning in Melbourne at the moment, I loving love it

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-03/target-pulls-grand-theft-auto-5-game-off-shelves-over-sexual-vi/5939184

quote:

Target Australia has pulled video game Grand Theft Auto V (GTA V) off shelves over controversy about the game's depiction of violence against women.
That was fast.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Actually, it took about a year.

Myall
Jan 9, 2010

Murodese posted:

This is how our esteemed speaker feels about the last few pages of the thread:

Tony Abbott has been introducing her to some of his "wisdom", it seems.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Murodese posted:

Actually, it took about a year.

Again, more than that. GTAV came out last September. I guess we now know that being unable to see your own character is apparently the tipping point between 'okay, we'll allow it' and 'whoa, NOT COOL bro'.

EDIT: I don't evne like GTAV, being far more of a Saint's Row kinda guy, but this is just kind of stupid.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Those On My Left posted:

There is some killer lightning in Melbourne at the moment, I loving love it

Being out in the rain is less crash hot though. The sacrifices I make for my love of board games...

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Haters Objector posted:

Better play it safe and ban all video games

That'd be one way to get rid of the fuckwits involved in that gamergate thing.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

SKY COQ posted:

Did someone order a moral panic?

I'm absolutely not defending GTA here - the series has always had massive problems with depictions of women. But. This particular 'feature' has been in the series since GTA3 came out in 2001. This is a really weird moral panic campaign that's inexplicably only targeted a single retailer.

There's a ton of games where you could go to an NPC, get training or buy poo poo, then you kill or pickpocket them and get your money back.
(though I really do hate how GTA depicts women)

e: the best way to make sure your kids aren't exposed to the game is to NOT loving BUY IT FOR THEM. Seriously, the rating is actually there for a reason.

The Before Times fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Dec 3, 2014

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Yeah but dickhead shop clerks don't give a gently caress and sell it. I saw one try to not sell it to a minor (kid literally handed to his father at the counter and said "buy me this one") and they said they couldn't sell it to anyone supplying to a minor, and the father just says "oh it's for me. I love GTAs"

Sale made.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Laserface posted:

Yeah but dickhead shop clerks don't give a gently caress and sell it. I saw one try to not sell it to a minor (kid literally handed to his father at the counter and said "buy me this one") and they said they couldn't sell it to anyone supplying to a minor, and the father just says "oh it's for me. I love GTAs"

Sale made.

Well, that's lovely parenting, not the shop clerk's fault.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Isn't it R rated? Isn't this type of thing exactly why the R rating was (finally) introduced?

Eh, if it's just consumer pressure so what. I strongly doubt it'll wind up getting pulled off shelves in all stores. Still dumb though.

(Also goons gotta defend vidgyas)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Mithranderp posted:

Well, that's lovely parenting, not the shop clerk's fault.

It's still up to the store and the clerk to not sell it. Same as booze.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

SKY COQ posted:

Did someone order a moral panic?

It's almost like a campaign that targetted a large retailer in a country similar but larger to ours, and that serves no purpose but to make the people protesting feel better about themselves..

I can't think of a retailer or country that this has happened in during recent memory though :shrug:

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Laserface posted:

It's still up to the store and the clerk to not sell it. Same as booze.

It SHOULD be the same, but I don't think there is a legal penalty for selling an R18 game to a person who you suspect is going to give it to a minor. So the whole fine/offence thing is a huuuuge difference.

quote:

A person may be asked for proof of their age before purchasing, hiring or viewing R18+ films and computer games at a retail store or cinema.

(though tbh the fact that something's not TECHNICALLY illegal doesn't mean you should do it. In the same situation I wouldn't sell it, but the customer could kick up a big stink, I could get reamed out by a manager for not making a sale, etc etc.)

The Before Times fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Dec 3, 2014

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Yeah, having worked in two bottleshops I would say the most common reason for checking ID is because the clerk can't afford to risk a $5k fine or whatever it is now.

If you give them plausible deniability, most people will sell you booze because they don't give a gently caress. If you walk in with your mum and show her which flavour of passion pop you want then it's not going to happen.

I'm probably the strictest at my current work but that's due more to misanthropy than anything else, if I can stop any one from enjoying themselves I consider it a good shift.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Gough Suppressant posted:

Yeah, having worked in two bottleshops I would say the most common reason for checking ID is because the clerk can't afford to risk a $5k fine or whatever it is now.

If you give them plausible deniability, most people will sell you booze because they don't give a gently caress. If you walk in with your mum and show her which flavour of passion pop you want then it's not going to happen.

I'm probably the strictest at my current work but that's due more to misanthropy than anything else, if I can stop any one from enjoying themselves I consider it a good shift.

What happened to you to make you this way? Did your parents get murdered by schoolies when you were a kid?

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

Just let them drink you loving fascist

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Murodese posted:

This is how our esteemed speaker feels about the last few pages of the thread:

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Splode posted:

What happened to you to make you this way? Did your parents get murdered by schoolies when you were a kid?

Sorry kid, I'm not selling you cruisers.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I just saw the highlights of the hockeyroos and all I can think is that the forward is a much better person than me, because I would have slammed home that goal and celebrated like it was my own.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

quote:

On Friday 21st November 2008 I was in the Glenhuntly Safeway Liquor with my 18 year old daughter. We had collected some grocery items and moved into the liquor department to purchase a bottle of Vodka before paying for the groceries. We selected a one litre bottle that was on special and proceeded to the checkout. The sales assistant, M, asked my 18 year old daughter for ID and I explained that I was purchasing the Vodka, not my daughter, who had no money or ID with her at that time. I offered my ID but M the sales assistant didn’t want to see my ID and told me that she couldn’t sell me the bottle because she thought I was purchasing it for my daughter.
Obviously some something is very wrong with Safeway Liquor training if sales assistants think that everyone that buys something in Safeway Liquor stores is going to sell it to a minor, which my daughter is not.
I have never in my 47 years ever been refused service at a shop and was insulted that this happened.
I asked for the store manager and when G, the manager arrived, I explained the situation to him. He obviously has never been trained in “the customer is always right”. G supported M in refusing to sell me the Vodka because M felt that I was going to sell it to a minor.
I am a licensed security guard with a certificate in the Responsible Service of Alcohol and my daughter also has the same certificate from working in the hospitality industry. We went to Coles Liquorland in Elsternwick to purchase the Vodka when we left Safeway Liquor and had no problem there in purchasing a bottle of Vodka. When I told the staff at Liquorland what had happened at Safeway Liquor, they said that “they are bloody morons at Safeway Liquor”. I couldn’t agree more.
I wrote a letter of complaint the following day to the Safeway area management and haven't received a reply.

This is the kind of idiocy people working in bottleshops have to deal with.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

This is the kind of idiocy people working in bottleshops have to deal with.

That really doesn't seem that hard to deal with, to be honest. Especially for retail.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

Splode posted:

That really doesn't seem that hard to deal with, to be honest. Especially for retail.

Yeah that's really soft. Like exceptionally so.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I'm not talking about the regs prohibiting secondary supply, I support them completely, I am talking about the parents who get completely self-righteously offended at the idea that some retail worker is going to inconvenience them from turning their kid into an alcoholic.

It's ridiculous on two counts.

One is that in Victoria you are required to refuse service of alcohol if you have reason to believe it is being bought for supplying a minor.

Two is when they bring out the "you can't refuse to serve me" thing which is patently bullshit, because in Victoria you can refuse to serve anyone as long as you are not refusing them based on a protected class as specified by anti-discrimination law.

Gough Suppressant fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Dec 3, 2014

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
And lol if you think that story I posted didn't come with an avalanche of abuse directed at the employees which the poster so conveniently failed to mention

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Annnd we're back to a 5-star gold thread!

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Adnar posted:

Well they're definitely his kids:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

I'm glad I wasn't the only one.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

katlington posted:

I'm glad I wasn't the only one.

I like to think that Joy is Morrison in drag. Fruity, what secret dirt does the press have on Australia Hitler's sexuality?

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

thread favourite karl stefanovic this morning admonished christopher pyne, telling him to "man up"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Those On My Left posted:

thread favourite karl stefanovic this morning admonished christopher pyne, telling him to "man up"

He's teasing him through the medium of irony making it ideologically correct

• Locked thread