Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
it's a junior candidate also we have a django app we need maintained and no one else wants to do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Blinkz0rz posted:

ugh i hate interviewing candidates for a specific language

i'm not even sure what i'd ask a python candidate aside from comprehensions, generators, and decorators

"show me a django app/site you made"

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Bloody posted:

crosspostin'
\hi i have a real-time data source whats the least painful way to plot this

i did it in matlab once and it was quite painful

theres a few python sample snippets out there that very effectively crash ipython

whats the nonterrible option

i did this a few weeks ago with python and pyqtgraph

it works great if python is installed on the system already but as far as i know it is impossible to package it and have it run on a nonpython system

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

JewKiller 3000 posted:

me on discovering that the "go" language is actually intended for real-world use, not just as a prototype: :mad:

srsly, sorry pram, it's real bad

go was abandonware when it started

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

power botton posted:

ask them why they didnt specialize in a good language

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Blinkz0rz posted:

it's a junior candidate also we have a django app we need maintained and no one else wants to do it

have him rewrite it in mvc. its a great job for a jr programmer because they get to learn how bad legacy apps are and that a p-lang is always the wrong choice and they get to learn a real world language, making them actually valuable to your team.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
wtf is a p-lang? Google turns up nothing related to programming other than html attribute.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
all languages that start with p are bad. perl, python, php, ruby, etc... all terrible languages that no one should use irl.

Brave GNU World
Nov 1, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Shaggar posted:

all languages that start with p are bad. perl, python, php, ruby, etc... all terrible languages that no one should use irl.

pavascript

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
javascript is unique in its pervasive horror so it deserves its own category.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

truly the plangest of all plangs

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Shaggar posted:

have him rewrite it in mvc. its a great job for a jr programmer because they get to learn how bad legacy apps are and that a p-lang is always the wrong choice and they get to learn a real world language, making them actually valuable to your team.

i would but we don't have time there's a new data entry cycle starting in a few weeks and we have a bunch of features to add

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

pram posted:

hes being a big baby because hes literally describing go

I'm giving it a shot. Haven't paid much attention to it so I'm walking in blind.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Shaggar posted:

go was abandonware when it started

lol

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I'm giving it a shot. Haven't paid much attention to it so I'm walking in blind.

go history in a nutshell

- unix and c happens, and later on in the real world, gcc appears
- people at bell labs are still unix, but they moved onto plan 9, with own compiler set.
- then inferno comes out, along with limbo and dis. pike also demos newsqueak
- rip bell labs and suddenly a bunch of old bell labs people and old unix people are in google
- lo and behold google announces a new language which is based off the plan 9 compiler, and heavily upon limbo

i wasn't joking when i said it was c for lazy people, go is basically what happens when you spend a lifetime writing in C and then push your idioms into the language itself. go's real language innovations have been in the userspace tools, not the language itself. go fix & go fmt themselves make go stand out from other languages.

go is nothing new and it was planned that way from the outset, it's just a smattering of useful C idioms that are easy to implement and debug in a compiler. if you know some c, perl, ruby, or js, you'll get along in go, with kinda clumsy error handling but often quite ordinary and boring code

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Yeah it owns

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
although go may have been presented as a competitor to c++, or java or c#, it really isn't about that, go is really for the people writing in p-langs who need to do a bit more byte janitoring than normal, but really, really can't be arsed to go through the effort of malloc/free, include files, makefiles, and oh please god no no more automake please, god no.

c++ people are way all up in their generic programming and crazed world of efficiencies where any suffering is good in the name of runtime performance. java and c# are in a world of middleware, components, and interchanges. why would they move to a language that doesn't support all of their weird little xml variants and ad-hoc binary formats.

otoh web janitors, and their kind, the unix janitors before them, people making small proxies or services, go is a pretty good fit if you're writing things like web proxies, load balancers, or other forms of protocol middleware, rather than application janitoring or performance sacrifices

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

tef posted:

go history in a nutshell

- unix and c happens, and later on in the real world, gcc appears
- people at bell labs are still unix, but they moved onto plan 9, with own compiler set.
- then inferno comes out, along with limbo and dis. pike also demos newsqueak
- rip bell labs and suddenly a bunch of old bell labs people and old unix people are in google
- lo and behold google announces a new language which is based off the plan 9 compiler, and heavily upon limbo

i wasn't joking when i said it was c for lazy people, go is basically what happens when you spend a lifetime writing in C and then push your idioms into the language itself. go's real language innovations have been in the userspace tools, not the language itself. go fix & go fmt themselves make go stand out from other languages.

go is nothing new and it was planned that way from the outset, it's just a smattering of useful C idioms that are easy to implement and debug in a compiler. if you know some c, perl, ruby, or js, you'll get along in go, with kinda clumsy error handling but often quite ordinary and boring code

you should be a salesman because you just sold me on it.

like I don't think you could've have targeted me any better.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

If you're writing proxies, load balancers, and protocol middlewares, Erlang is totally good for that :colbert:

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MononcQc posted:

If you're writing proxies, load balancers, and protocol middlewares, Erlang is totally good for that :colbert:

Erlang :negative:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Erlang is a hobbyist language. Go is by the father of unix, nuff said

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
rebar and relx are a lot better now than when i last used them, but builds and deployment are still my least favourite thing about erlang.

i finally ported the last of my apps from R16B03 to 17.3 and it turns out erlang still owns and i still have nothing to do with it. maybe i can try to get my NIFs running with the new NIF scheduler

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
or maybe i'll just keep writing python for money, finally forget all the c++ that i used at old job, and quit programming entirely after work

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
w00tles terrible programmer

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
God is there anything worse in the whole world than trying to untangle javascript spaghetti code

no

no there is not.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
remember that there's a programming language named after a disease. seriously why they named it MUMPS unless they were deliberately advertising how horrible it is is beyond me

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
i legitimately miss all the fun acronyms that there used to be. ALGOL, FORTRAN, and even MUMPS all sound cooler than java or python

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
there's still HASKELL

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

more like dICK posted:

i legitimately miss all the fun acronyms that there used to be. ALGOL, FORTRAN, and even MUMPS all sound cooler than java or python

they need to make more names like 'x on y' a la rails

Java in Jails

Python in Pails

JavaScript on Jalapeņos

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

AlsoD posted:

remember that there's a programming language named after a disease. seriously why they named it MUMPS unless they were deliberately advertising how horrible it is is beyond me

it's a programming language designed specifically for a hospital as well

you might as well call the IDE "Cancer"

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

qntm posted:

it's a programming language designed specifically for a hospital as well

you might as well call the IDE "Cancer"
Well, if you think about it, mine isn't a very nice place to work at, and you wouldn't want to be caught in a storm.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

uncurable mlady posted:

Java in Jails

Python in Pails

JavaScript on Jalapeņos

http://www.coboloncogs.org/INDEX.HTM forever and ever

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

MononcQc posted:

actually i'd say erlang shines better at distributed systems, not just middleware: for http shunting, or where components have very little interaction between them, then the overhead of erlang's share nothing architecture doesn't really bring much when as is, the daemons are run in pools and share nothing anyway.

unfortunately, erlang's binary and string handling are clumsy, although there is otp, it is more of a roadblock than a feature, go will have better performance overall but worse safety, but that's usually not the domain of the go program.

if you want to write a larger networked system, erlang is a good choice, but i think it will often be a harder sell.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

uncurable mlady posted:

Java in Jails

Python in Pails

JavaScript on Jalapeņos

i too pronounce javascript like jalapenos

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

Bloody posted:

its pronounced "yavascript"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pram posted:

Go is by the father of unix, nuff said

yeah that's enough to discourage its use.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Bloody posted:

emcascript in escalades

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

c on seagulls

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008