Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

I finally picked up Far Cry 3 for PC and this is what I hate the most about it. You've got to go on the Great Belt Buckle Hunt in order to loot a dead body, and god help you if you're anywhere near a gun when you try it (NB: like 90% of dead bodies are bandits who drop guns). There's no reason these priorities shouldn't be switched.

The instance it annoyed me the most had to do with being on fire. You'd know you were on fire so you'd mash the heal button, but the game hadn't fully registered it yet, and when it does, it completely cancels out the healing to make you push the button again to put out the fire, which takes several seconds during which you take damage from fire and any other enemies shooting at you. This killed me so many times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

StandardVC10 posted:

You missed the greatest thing, 12 gauge coinshot. But with legion coins being somewhat rare, and each shell requiring 8 coins, I found that the fun with it was always fairly short-lived.

Rendering to Caesar's what's his is always great though. Goddamn. Now I want to replay New Vegas. Again.

And unload coinshot in Caesar's face on vats. Again.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

I fired up King's Bounty: Crossworlds because I've owned it for awhile and never actually played it. I start it up, go through a tutorial, and get an item drop. The item says I can upgrade it! Okay! I then zone into a space landscape with towers and massive stacks of units, and I have 3 bears and an archer. Thanks, tutorial, for telling me that the item upgrade fights are not to be done with the starting army. Also, thanks for autosaving only once, way at the start, which was like, 5 minutes ago. That is way too long to replay. That last part is not a real complaint. Also, thanks for not explaining what any of the stats do when you ask me to pick a dragon like 30 seconds into the game.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

More rear end Creed BF:

The high camera angle when you accelerate the ship to the top speed. I'd much rather have it be a camera toggle that you can turn on and off at will. The top speed also making your ship health and aiming options disappear certainly doesn't help. Oh and the constant glitches when you get to top speed - based on previous rear end Creed experience, I think that I went out of the area limits and am about to drop dead desync on the spot.

Gave up on the first pirate mission for now (after hours and hours ago, during which time the game saved several times over) and the chests I looted and the equipment I bought hours ago were reset. Not the viewpoints. Not the assassin contracts. Not the animus fragments. Just the chests and loot. Why?

Edward's ever so careless and edgy "kick the chest instead of opening it" animation wastes a lot of time compared to the chest looting in previous games - which would just teleport you on top of the chest and start the animation. Instead, I have to circle the chest to find the right spot to kick.

The swivel guns prompt. I think I bitched before about the rear end Creed button prompts being arcane symbols rather than actual buttons, but... ok, it's "up". I go into the options menu, rebind it to the "up" arrows just to make sure... and it doesn't trigger. I hold the button, I tap the button - nada.

There really should either be a docking prompt for any random island with loot on it, or you should get an additional whistle. We can whistle for horses, we can whistle for enemies, so why not whistle for the goddamn boat to park near the island?

The ship upgrades bring back the lovely time wasting of the shop upgrades in previous rear end Creeds. Yes, let's get an lengthy overview of the ship every single time I upgrade a cannon. I'm pretty sure that most of the time nothing actually changes about the way the ship looks.

Firing a broadside of cannons at a settlement doesn't actually kill anyone.

You can dump Blackbeard overboard and leave him to drown (which is nice), but then the game gets stuck until you hit the "skip cinematic" prompt (for some reason) and it starts the nearest mission automatically.

Honestly - when people mentioned that the Pirate rear end Creed has you tailing ships while avoiding detection, I kinda thought it was a joke - you know, how the series throws in a new gameplay element or two while keeping everything else the same. Nope.

Doomsayer posted:

You can very much use pistols and smoke bombs in the middle of combat though? And pistols are also a one-hit kill. Well, maybe the bottom-rung pistols aren't, it's been a while, but I've cleared a number of ships by just emptying my brace of six pistols to make six dead guys in the middle of a fight.

I just shot both a fort commander and an assassination target twice each, with the third/fourth pair of pistols you can get.

Edit - you can't free aim or really reload in combat either.

Xander77 has a new favorite as of 12:28 on Dec 3, 2014

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Doomsayer posted:

If y'all weren't using the different ammo types then you weren't using the .50 HE rounds and ergo were, in fact, playing New Vegas wrong :colbert:

You can very much use pistols and smoke bombs in the middle of combat though? And pistols are also a one-hit kill. Well, maybe the bottom-rung pistols aren't, it's been a while, but I've cleared a number of ships by just emptying my brace of six pistols to make six dead guys in the middle of a fight.

Also boarding doesn't happen when you get their health low, like Pokemon, it happens when you deplete their health entirely. They go into an "on fire" animation thing, at which point you can either board them or finish them off.

Yeah, I have no idea where he was going with those complaints either. None of those things happen.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

10 Beers posted:

Yeah, I have no idea where he was going with those complaints either. None of those things happen.

Tapping the pistol button is an arcane key. Granted I played it on PS3 but it told me clearly what button to quickly shoot was. Maybe they took that out of the PC version.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
On the note of Rome: Total War, did anybody else think the building management system is the worst in the series? I don't see why they ditched Shogun 2's.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Len posted:

Tapping the pistol button is an arcane key. Granted I played it on PS3 but it told me clearly what button to quickly shoot was. Maybe they took that out of the PC version.

Nah, the PC version definitely has a quick-fire button for the pistol. It's "Y" on the 360 controller, if I remember right.

The reload for pistols is really weird, though. It has a long animation, then quickly starts to load each pistol. If, for some reason, you do any other action partway through the short part, it'll have stop reloading the pistols. Even though the animation and all that is over.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Sardonik posted:

On the note of Rome: Total War, did anybody else think the building management system is the worst in the series? I don't see why they ditched Shogun 2's.

This is something that was supposed to be improved with the Emperor's Edition (basically a fancy name for a huge free patch). I haven't spent enough time with the EE to say for sure if it worked but I do appreciate that the main building in each settlement has two easy "military vs economic" trees to go down now.

Unrelated, I know I just bitched a little about Infamous: SS yesterday but something I forgot then was that the moral stuff seems kinda hastily shoved in at the last second. There's like 4 moral choices in the whole game and none of them seem very dramatic. Most of your moral points will come from whether you execute or nonlethally subdue your enemies and the little side activities like healing injured civilians or beating up protestors or whatever. The idea of a system where your morality is determined more by your gameplay and less by distinct "THE ORPHANAGE IS ON FIRE: WHAT DO YOU DO?" events is cool in theory but since all that stuff was in previous games and there's only two or three side activities per karma alignment it just feels like the system was neutered.

Also for a game where choosing not to kill your enemies is the most important way of gaining good karma, all the dialogue in the game except for literally a single sentence at the end seems to assume you just murder all the DUP guys you fight. The most egregious was once towards the end, when Delsin's all pissed off about the big evil thing the bad guys did and is trying to hunt one of them down. You come across a bunch of DUP troopers and I fight them like I always do. At the end of the fight Delsin says "man, I should have left one of them still breathing so they could answer some questions." Uh, Delsin, they're pretty clearly all still breathing. I took them down nonlethally, like I always have since the game gave me the option. You can even see them moving around as those words are leaving his mouth :saddowns:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

You missed the greatest thing, 12 gauge coinshot. But with legion coins being somewhat rare, and each shell requiring 8 coins, I found that the fun with it was always fairly short-lived.

Grand Theft Auto Online's editor is full of annoying things.
Placing spawn points for deathmatch/captures is stupid fiddly as super hell. If you are trying to place it near an object and you bump the marker into the object, it won't place if you nudge back to the clear area, you have to move it away it another clear area then move back over :psyduck:
You can't snap fences/objects together. You have to constantly pick up and place the object to line it up without huge gaps. There's no fine control/rotating.
I'm honestly surprised they haven't patched out stacking objects yet IMO.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
After finally managing to play far enough into Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time to get to any of the dungeons past the Great Deku Tree, I have to say that the dungeons are what drag this game down for me. Seriously, the dungeons in Ocarina of Time just have this air of dankness and oppression to them that just progressively sucks the enjoyment out of the game as you realize that each dungeon is just going to be worse than the last and that this is what you can look forward to for the rest of the game.

Really, I love the Legend of Zelda series, and none, none, of the other Zelda games I've played have had such uniformly desolate, oppressive, all-around dungeony dungeons as Ocarina of Time has. Nope, not even Twilight Princess.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Doctor Bishop posted:

After finally managing to play far enough into Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time to get to any of the dungeons past the Great Deku Tree, I have to say that the dungeons are what drag this game down for me. Seriously, the dungeons in Ocarina of Time just have this air of dankness and oppression to them that just progressively sucks the enjoyment out of the game as you realize that each dungeon is just going to be worse than the last and that this is what you can look forward to for the rest of the game.

Really, I love the Legend of Zelda series, and none, none, of the other Zelda games I've played have had such uniformly desolate, oppressive, all-around dungeony dungeons as Ocarina of Time has. Nope, not even Twilight Princess.

I don't get how this is a bad thing. Like, "this game captures an incredibly particular atmosphere in a way that none of the other games in the series does. yeah it fuckin blows"?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Doctor Bishop posted:

I don't mind OoT's dungeons, but they're definitely very blatantly dungeons. They either didn't know how to make them seem like a viable non-dungeon setting, or just weren't trying to, because you're right that all of them feel like Evil Dungeons With Evil Things In Them, with the setting itself feeling like it doesn't serve any other purpose.

They learned by Wind Waker how to make a dungeon feel like something else, and do fairly well in that, but the N64 Zeldas suffer a bit from it. OoT still has some nice settings in the form of Jabu-Jabu's Belly and the Spirit Temple, and Majora's Mask has some great 'sub-dungeons' like the Skulltula Houses, the Pirate's Fortress and Ikana Castle, but for the most part they're fairly transparently dungeon-y.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Forest Temple also tries to be less overtly dungeon-y.

Honestly what drags OoT down for me is drat near the entire opening young link segment. It's just a huge time sink if you've already been through it before and I'm not a big fan of any of the dungeons. Hyrule Castle can also gently caress right off.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Forest Temple is probably one of my favorite dungeons from the game - there's just something about the whole old mansion/dungeon vibe it gives. Then again I'm a sucker for spooky mansion levels.

Speaking of Zelda game drag things, it kind of sucks that you can't change the day/night cycle in Twilight Princess.
The main issue with this is that its boring waiting for sunset so you can hunt Poe's and they'll actually disappear mid-fight if the sun comes out.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I dunno, I kinda like how menacing the OOT dungeons feel. I think it's probably a result of the N64 not having a ton of graphical fidelity, but the dungeons definitely had an air of "there's evil monsters here, watch out" and that was great to me.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

RyokoTK posted:

I dunno, I kinda like how menacing the OOT dungeons feel. I think it's probably a result of the N64 not having a ton of graphical fidelity, but the dungeons definitely had an air of "there's evil monsters here, watch out" and that was great to me.

I think the complaint is more that, unlike the other 3D Zeldas, there's no other 'reason' for the dungeons. There's no other logic to the existence of these places, they exist only to be filled with evil monsters. Even the ones that are built with a bit of visual direction (Jabu-Jabu's Belly does the whole innards thing pretty well, the Forest Temple has a nice sort of mansion feel to it, the Spirit Temple tries to be a holy site) don't really make sense. They look like what they're supposed to be, but they don't feel like it.

Compare with Twilight Princess. Twilight Princess isn't a fantastic Zelda, I actually think it's worse than OoT, but it as the first one that really tried to have dungeons make aesthetic sense, and do it well. You've got the Goron Mines, the Snowpeak Ruins, City in the Sky, Palace of Twilight and Hyrule Castle, all of which at least try to be something other than a hive of evil monsters, places that try to look like where people might live, or work. Even the more transparent dungeons have other things going on with them; the Forest Temple's overrun with benign wildlife as well, and the Arbiter's Ground makes quite a point of it being a crumbling ruin of a place that was already dangerous.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Cleretic posted:

I think the complaint is more that, unlike the other 3D Zeldas, there's no other 'reason' for the dungeons. There's no other logic to the existence of these places, they exist only to be filled with evil monsters. Even the ones that are built with a bit of visual direction (Jabu-Jabu's Belly does the whole innards thing pretty well, the Forest Temple has a nice sort of mansion feel to it, the Spirit Temple tries to be a holy site) don't really make sense. They look like what they're supposed to be, but they don't feel like it.

Compare with Twilight Princess. Twilight Princess isn't a fantastic Zelda, I actually think it's worse than OoT, but it as the first one that really tried to have dungeons make aesthetic sense, and do it well. You've got the Goron Mines, the Snowpeak Ruins, City in the Sky, Palace of Twilight and Hyrule Castle, all of which at least try to be something other than a hive of evil monsters, places that try to look like where people might live, or work. Even the more transparent dungeons have other things going on with them; the Forest Temple's overrun with benign wildlife as well, and the Arbiter's Ground makes quite a point of it being a crumbling ruin of a place that was already dangerous.

Good lord you people.

Yes, let's compare the dungeon design of the first 3D Zelda to one made 2 game system generations later. Let's completely forget that it was their first time playing around in 3D in the first place and that they were trying to figure out how to keep that iconic Zelda feel (which means, more than anything, the puzzles and monsters) and so they just smashed a ton of rooms full to the loving brim with everything Zelda and slapped some textures on it.

The funniest part about your post is that you talked about how even the Forrest Temple from TP has benign life in it which makes it a slightly less dungeon-y dungeon. Because, you know, if that had been on n64 they probably would not have been able to throw in pretty poo poo to make it feel more like a place full of life and purpose. And you'd be complaining about it the same way you might complain about OoT's dungeons.

Also the goron mines are dungeon-y as all hell and you can only convince yourself otherwise because they keep you entertained enough to not really think too hard about the fact that certain doors in the goron mines can only be reached by wearing metal shoes which a goron cannot wear. Because that totally seems like a place gorons can and did work. Totally.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I can honestly say I've never played a Zelda game and thought, "what practical purpose does this dungeon serve Hyrule's population?" That's like asking why goombas never evolved the ability to walk right. The best Zeldas are when it just embraces video game logic like that. That's why Link Between Worlds is the best Zelda since Wind Waker.

My latest little thing bringing Smash Bros down is Luigi's new final smash. His old one was weird and awesome. Using a vacuum cleaner is pretty lame by comparison.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The annoying thing about the 3d Zeldas is how long they all take to get going. It was especially bad with Skyward Sword. A more recent annoyance is how in Assassins Creed: Rogue makes you chose a language every time you start the game.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Professor Wayne posted:

I can honestly say I've never played a Zelda game and thought, "what practical purpose does this dungeon serve Hyrule's population?" That's like asking why goombas never evolved the ability to walk right. The best Zeldas are when it just embraces video game logic like that. That's why Link Between Worlds is the best Zelda since Wind Waker.

My latest little thing bringing Smash Bros down is Luigi's new final smash. His old one was weird and awesome. Using a vacuum cleaner is pretty lame by comparison.

In the PS2 era both ICO and Prince of Persia got a huge amount of praise for having worlds that were seamless and lived-in and felt like real architecture rather than a bunch of self-contained rooms full of puzzles and monsters.

If you personally don't give a poo poo that's fine but it is kind of a big deal and to this day almost every third-person action-adventure game aside from the Zelda games follows that philosophy.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

muscles like this? posted:

The annoying thing about the 3d Zeldas is how long they all take to get going. It was especially bad with Skyward Sword.

Speaking of Skyward Sword, it kind of sucks there isn't much to do in the actual sky.
For some reason I was expecting the game to be "Wind Waker in space the sky" and it wasn't.
You couldn't even fly around at night.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

The annoying thing about the 3d Zeldas is how long they all take to get going. It was especially bad with Skyward Sword. A more recent annoyance is how in Assassins Creed: Rogue makes you chose a language every time you start the game.

This is absolutely my biggest problem with the 3D Zeldas. Too much emphasis on their dumb story and it takes forever to get to the loving point. Like, I get it, okay? It's the same formula and the same story, I don't need an hour of dicking around with NPCs before I can get to the training wheels dungeon.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

TheSpiritFox posted:

Also the goron mines are dungeon-y as all hell and you can only convince yourself otherwise because they keep you entertained enough to not really think too hard about the fact that certain doors in the goron mines can only be reached by wearing metal shoes which a goron cannot wear. Because that totally seems like a place gorons can and did work. Totally.

I'll grant you that I might be being a bit unfair to OoT (it's still a fantastic game, and the fact the dungeons don't make in-universe sense is honestly very minor), but that actually did make sense. The game made a very, very big point of demonstrating that the Iron Boots made you as heavy as a Goron. The Gorons don't need the Iron Boots to use those switches, because they're already heavy dudes.

I wanted to use an example earlier than Twilight Princess, but the two 3D Zeldas between OoT and TP were Majora's Mask and Wind Waker, both of which had very low dungeon counts. They showed the willingness to hve more in-world-logical dungeons, with MM's sub-dungeons and a couple of Wind Waker's early ones, but they didn't have many in the first place. We can compare a couple of MM's sub-dungeons, though; really the only reason Ikana Castle isn't the best dungeon in that game is because it's technically not a dungeon.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Skyward Sword loving sucks period, it being slow is the least of its problems.

You want slow, Twilight Princess takes that award with a near 3 hours intro session if you aren't speedrunning it.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Cleretic posted:

I'll grant you that I might be being a bit unfair to OoT (it's still a fantastic game, and the fact the dungeons don't make in-universe sense is honestly very minor), but that actually did make sense. The game made a very, very big point of demonstrating that the Iron Boots made you as heavy as a Goron. The Gorons don't need the Iron Boots to use those switches, because they're already heavy dudes.

Didn't the TP Iron Boots involve some walking on magnetic walls/ceilings puzzles, though? TP was better about making the dungeons makes sense from the outside world but it got video game-y as gently caress once you were actually inside.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

...of SCIENCE! posted:

In the PS2 era both ICO and Prince of Persia got a huge amount of praise for having worlds that were seamless and lived-in and felt like real architecture rather than a bunch of self-contained rooms full of puzzles and monsters.

Haha, I'm sorry, what? Prince Of Persia was gamey as all hell and it had too. Like for instance how the sultans palace was over a hundred floors tall and the only way to open doors was by jumping across deadly chasms or by doing block-puzzles. Not to mention doors that are inoperable without the Prince's power of slowing down time or by having 2 individuals. You can't tell me that anyone lived day2day in this setpiece after setpiece of a palace.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Xoidanor posted:

Haha, I'm sorry, what? Prince Of Persia was gamey as all hell and it had too. Like for instance how the sultans palace was over a hundred floors tall and the only way to open doors was by jumping across deadly chasms or by doing block-puzzles. Not to mention doors that are inoperable without the Prince's power of slowing down time or by having 2 individuals. You can't tell me that anyone lived day2day in this setpiece after setpiece of a palace.

To be fair, the palace's architecture was rearranged somewhat by the ridiculously complex and prevalent security system that the Prince stupidly triggered in the second or third chapter. Sultans don't half-rear end anything when it comes to home improvement.

The dungeon complaints in Zelda are nonsense, though, especially in Ocarina of Time. The pre-timeskip dungeons all doubled as actual places (giant living tree, mines, giant living fish) that you had to poke through to achieve some objective or another. The post-timeskip brought in the temples, which are always pre-civilization proving grounds that exist for no other reason than to gently caress you up, pal. The biggest mystery is how all the mechanisms are still in such good working order, especially the ones which involve lava.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
Since I accidentally started this discussion, I guess I should go ahead and clarify that my complaints with the dungeons in Ocarina of Time isn't that they don't feel like real places with any purpose beyond being monster-filled labyrinths for testing the skills of would-be heroes, but rather that they're just plain lifeless, gray and depressing spaces that make every task you undertake within them feel less like a fun pastime activity and more like a chore that you only do in order to get yourself one step closer to the end, where you can then fight the boss (the only interesting part of the entire experience along with the miniboss) and get the hell out of that godforsaken dungeon again.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Cleretic posted:

I wanted to use an example earlier than Twilight Princess, but the two 3D Zeldas between OoT and TP were Majora's Mask and Wind Waker, both of which had very low dungeon counts. They showed the willingness to hve more in-world-logical dungeons, with MM's sub-dungeons and a couple of Wind Waker's early ones, but they didn't have many in the first place. We can compare a couple of MM's sub-dungeons, though; really the only reason Ikana Castle isn't the best dungeon in that game is because it's technically not a dungeon.

I meant the magnetic walls.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Really wish you could re-fight the bosses in TP. If they ever make an HD version of the game I really hope they add that as a feature.
Also kind of a shame you couldn't re-fight Gohdan or the Helmaroc king in WW. They were two of the best ones.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Professor Wayne posted:

No it is very important to explain how the one shaped like a swastika is very important for the Kokiri people's rituals.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
What really annoyed me about Link Between Worlds was how they changed the story from the original. The SNES story really caught me with with a feeling of serious adventure, and even had the ancient inscription on the Master Sword pedestal was removed :smith:

May just be a case of nostalgia, but I really was looking forward to seeing an old friend.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
FF14: There is status effects that you can dispel, then there are status effects you cannot dispel. There is no icon to differentiate the 2 from eachother. I could dispel a petrify effect in one dungeon, then do another dungeon where petrify happens, its the exact same icon yet I can't dispel it for some reason. Just pallet swap the icons, reds are bad that I can dispel and purples are bad effects that I can't dispel.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cleretic posted:

MM's sub-dungeons were as long and involved as OoT's dungeons, they just didn't end with "kill this boss". They were usually way more fun and varied than any of the OoT dungeons, too. Never got why most players say they "don't count" or whatever.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

RedMagus posted:

What really annoyed me about Link Between Worlds was how they changed the story from the original. The SNES story really caught me with with a feeling of serious adventure, and even had the ancient inscription on the Master Sword pedestal was removed :smith:

May just be a case of nostalgia, but I really was looking forward to seeing an old friend.

Well, it's not so much that they changed the story, as much as it it's a sequel, taking place hundreds of years after the first. I guess what you're saying is that you want a Link to the Past remake?

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Doctor Bishop posted:

Since I accidentally started this discussion, I guess I should go ahead and clarify that my complaints with the dungeons in Ocarina of Time isn't that they don't feel like real places with any purpose beyond being monster-filled labyrinths for testing the skills of would-be heroes, but rather that they're just plain lifeless, gray and depressing spaces that make every task you undertake within them feel less like a fun pastime activity and more like a chore that you only do in order to get yourself one step closer to the end, where you can then fight the boss (the only interesting part of the entire experience along with the miniboss) and get the hell out of that godforsaken dungeon again.

"lifeless, gray" :confused:

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat

Leal posted:

FF14: There is status effects that you can dispel, then there are status effects you cannot dispel. There is no icon to differentiate the 2 from eachother. I could dispel a petrify effect in one dungeon, then do another dungeon where petrify happens, its the exact same icon yet I can't dispel it for some reason. Just pallet swap the icons, reds are bad that I can dispel and purples are bad effects that I can't dispel.

The status effects do have different names - but the icons are the same, and it's not like you have the time to hover over the icons to see what the status effect is called during battle.

Very annoying when you're healing in a dungeon for the first time.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
I know what the dude is saying. Walking into the water temple especially it's like drat I am going to spend so much time laboriously swimming clockwise around these three floors of rooms that look identical on the map trying to remember WHERE the thing I just picked up somewhere else in the dungeon is supposed to go. A lot of the dungeons have nasty circuits of puzzle rooms that terminate in points of no return, even if you've solved the puzzles already, so you can end up backtracking because oh poo poo you were supposed to go through the left door instead of the right one or whatever and now the bars drop behind you and you're gonna have to backtrack to get to where you previously started backtracking and you begin to wonder what skill this is testing besides your ability to not lose focus while bored

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

It's almost 2015 why in the gently caress do FPS video games still bind crouch to c?