Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I can't help with a brand but make sure to check how easy replacement seals are to get for your model. Ideally it should come with at least 1 extra seal ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

These are good. Also, Costco seems to be selling Tramontina proline tri-ply 10" frypans and 3qt saucepans for like $30-40 a pop. No idea if they're any good or not, but they felt heavy-gauge enough.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

You like the canoe handles?

I never had a problem with them and kind of like holding them :shobon:

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Jmcrofts posted:

Will a Vitamix fulfill all my needs? Can they grind meat or crush spices?

Vitamix is great for:
-Perfect smoothies, including collapse-the-straw milkshake thickness with all the seeds left in.
-Soups, you can heat a soup to steaming hot just using the blades in ~5 minutes.
-Ice? Pssh, you mean snow-cone base.
-Bread dough? Spices? Buy the dry ingredient container for best results. Make bread dough from raw, whole grains in one step.
-Basically turning (ingredient) into (liquid equivalent).
-Did I mention the kickass warranty, even on refurbs?

Vitamix is okay for:
-Food processing, while you can pulse up some bread crumbs or salsa, for perfectly consistent small chunks a dedicated food processor isn't a bad idea, the Vitamix prefers destroying things and your job is to stop it before it goes too far. If you have several ingredients of different consistency, let the Vitamix puree what it can and then toss in the ingredients you just want it to chunk (again, think chunky salsa).

Vitamix is not for:
-Grinding meat, that's what the Kitchen-Aid meat grinder attachment is for.
-Making pasta, that's what the Kitchen-Aid pasta roller attachment is for.
-A 10-cup serving of perfectly processed onions, that's what a 10-cup food processor is for.

Now if you want to turn a whole t-bone steak into a smoothie or soup base, Vitamix has you covered.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

revdrkevind posted:

Vitamix is great for:
-Perfect smoothies, including collapse-the-straw milkshake thickness with all the seeds left in.
-Soups, you can heat a soup to steaming hot just using the blades in ~5 minutes.
-Ice? Pssh, you mean snow-cone base.
-Bread dough? Spices? Buy the dry ingredient container for best results. Make bread dough from raw, whole grains in one step.
-Basically turning (ingredient) into (liquid equivalent).
-Did I mention the kickass warranty, even on refurbs?

Vitamix is okay for:
-Food processing, while you can pulse up some bread crumbs or salsa, for perfectly consistent small chunks a dedicated food processor isn't a bad idea, the Vitamix prefers destroying things and your job is to stop it before it goes too far. If you have several ingredients of different consistency, let the Vitamix puree what it can and then toss in the ingredients you just want it to chunk (again, think chunky salsa).

Vitamix is not for:
-Grinding meat, that's what the Kitchen-Aid meat grinder attachment is for.
-Making pasta, that's what the Kitchen-Aid pasta roller attachment is for.
-A 10-cup serving of perfectly processed onions, that's what a 10-cup food processor is for.

Now if you want to turn a whole t-bone steak into a smoothie or soup base, Vitamix has you covered.

On the t-bone steak thing, does that include the bone and have you tried it? :stonklol:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

On the t-bone steak thing, does that include the bone and have you tried it? :stonklol:
Honestly if I were to ever have say a hundred LB + slab of meat and bones that I needed to get rid of because of a lack of freezer space, I would definitely use the vitamix to get rid of the jaw/teeth and at least process the smaller bones up to a major joint. If you decide to go further I think you'd probably want to replace the container so it doesn't look like you were blending bones.

Tub of acid helps too, but that's not something you'll have in the kitchen, rather bathroom.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

revdrkevind posted:

vitamix info

Great post, thanks for the info. Sounds perfect for me. Anyone have experience with refurbs? If I can pay $300 instead of $500 that would be a great thing.

Also, unrelated question: Anyone have pressure cooker recommendations? I used to use my parents' cooker which is from the 70s and worked great, but I'm not sure if there's any modern innovations I need to know about.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I picked up one of the refurbs and it's been great so far, no complaints and it feels brand new to me.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Jmcrofts posted:

Great post, thanks for the info. Sounds perfect for me. Anyone have experience with refurbs? If I can pay $300 instead of $500 that would be a great thing.

I've had one of their refurbs for about 2 months now, no complaints. Make sure to check for coupons, there is usually a free shipping one floating around.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

Jmcrofts posted:

I've used a refurb extensively for the past year or so and I haven't had any problems at all. It looked brand new out of the box and has worked perfectly.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

My brother, parents and I all have a refurb with zero issues.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
You guys rock, thanks. Gonna go with a refurb.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I'm looking at an electric water boiler that can keep water warm all day. I've narrowed it down to a few by Zojirushi:

http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-CD-WBC30-TS-3-Liter-Boiler-Warmer/dp/B00M0GOI0K/

http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-CV-DSC40-Hybrid-Boiler-Stainless/dp/B000MAFJRM/

Does anyone have any experience with these two, or is there something better I should be looking for? I need something that I can set on a countertop and just leave all day, has temperature control, and would prefer not to get an electric kettle.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Dammit now I want a water boiler. I wonder if those use a lot of electricity.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Mr. Wookums posted:

Honestly if I were to ever have say a hundred LB + slab of meat and bones that I needed to get rid of because of a lack of freezer space, I would definitely use the vitamix to get rid of the jaw/teeth and at least process the smaller bones up to a major joint. If you decide to go further I think you'd probably want to replace the container so it doesn't look like you were blending bones.

Tub of acid helps too, but that's not something you'll have in the kitchen, rather bathroom.

I've had good luck with pressure cookers because the bones just go to mush. Takes a few batches though...

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

From a review of the first one:

quote:

Positive reviews are 100% correct regarding this product. We can't live without it. I do have one thing to say, though. Since it is not a thermal pot, it uses approx 90 watts to maintain a constant water temperature. I bought an International P4400 Kill A Watt Electricity Usage Monitor here on Amazon and this was the first product that I measured. My plugged in laptop only generated 40 watts of power....half of what this pot generates in standby mode. It comes in at 731 watts to boil water (my toaster takes 457 watts). We use the timer feature at night, but keep it on all day. So, figuring 16 hours of standby use and throwing in an average of three boils a day, we figure that it costs approx $12-15 per month to operate. We COULD take it off standby mode when not in use, but then it takes longer to boil....catch 22.

Bottom line? The product is so darn good at what it does, that we are willing to forgive the energy consumption cost.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

"Since it is not a thermal pot, it uses approx 90 watts to maintain a constant water temperature. I bought an International P4400 Kill A Watt Electricity Usage Monitor here on Amazon and this was the first product that I measured. My plugged in laptop only generated 40 watts of power....half of what this pot generates in standby mode. It comes in at 731 watts to boil water (my toaster takes 457 watts). We use the timer feature at night, but keep it on all day. So, figuring 16 hours of standby use and throwing in an average of three boils a day, we figure that it costs approx $12-15 per month to operate. We COULD take it off standby mode when not in use, but then it takes longer to boil....catch 22."

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Now I wanna know how that guy boils water with his toaster.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I guess I just pour it in?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Yeah, make sure you're standing inside the bathtub first

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

PRADA SLUT posted:

I'm looking at an electric water boiler that can keep water warm all day. I've narrowed it down to a few by Zojirushi:

http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-CD-WBC30-TS-3-Liter-Boiler-Warmer/dp/B00M0GOI0K/

Does anyone have any experience with these two, or is there something better I should be looking for? I need something that I can set on a countertop and just leave all day, has temperature control, and would prefer not to get an electric kettle.

Just get whichever one is bigger, because you'll find yourself using it all the time. I fill my 4+ litre model every other day at least.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
We've had the larger one for several years. It's one of those gadgets that will be replaced immediately if it dies, express shipping.

Even with just two of us I wouldn't want a smaller model. When we have visitors it gets a workout.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

PRADA SLUT posted:

I had one of these (5L version here: http://www.zojirushi.com/products/cdlcc), then I moved to the UK and couldn't take it with me due to voltage issues. I miss it every single day. I miss it more than my stand mixer which also got left behind. I agree with Mr. Wiggles, get the largest capacity you can, and you'll be set.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Just get whichever one is bigger, because you'll find yourself using it all the time. I fill my 4+ litre model every other day at least.

:colbert:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Was at Trader Joes and picked up some of this ginger ale because the bottle is really nice and could be cleaned and reused for oil storage:

The ginger ale itself isn't that great but the bottle is really nice and could hold about a liter of oil in an airtight glass container. It's only 2.99 a bottle so it's a buck cheaper than similar glass containers at Ikea. The only annoying thing is getting off the label. You'll want to soak it in goo gone for 5 minutes or so and it will come off cleanly.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
You could pick up a case of grolsch if you want a few of them.

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

Was at Trader Joes and picked up some of this ginger ale because the bottle is really nice and could be cleaned and reused for oil storage:

The ginger ale itself isn't that great but the bottle is really nice and could hold about a liter of oil in an airtight glass container. It's only 2.99 a bottle so it's a buck cheaper than similar glass containers at Ikea. The only annoying thing is getting off the label. You'll want to soak it in goo gone for 5 minutes or so and it will come off cleanly.

If you have a brewing supply store in your area they will likely have these in various styles as well.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I was at Trader Joes today and the employees were trying to sell people that stuff entirely in the value of the bottle.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Doodarazumas posted:

If you have a brewing supply store in your area they will likely have these in various styles as well.

For probably ~$1.50 each if you're getting a case.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

mod sassinator posted:

Vegetable oil works well for getting label glue off if you don't have goo gone on hand.

Mario
Oct 29, 2006
It's-a-me!
Or soak in diluted ammonia (doesn't have to be all that strong of a solution).

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Jmcrofts posted:

Also, unrelated question: Anyone have pressure cooker recommendations? I used to use my parents' cooker which is from the 70s and worked great, but I'm not sure if there's any modern innovations I need to know about.

I picked up a stainless 6q from a local aldi for 39 bucks. It's comparable to others I was checking out. The only downside that I could find is that it's made in china : [

Vitamix chat: I got a refurb over the summer and it has been nothing but new to me in every way .

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Has anyone used one of these? I'm curious if you could cook raw meat in it.

Crock-Pot 20-oz. Lunch Crock Food Warmer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GJ99PEI/

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Doubt it.

Also be sure to check the other colors...many of them are only 20 dollars compared to the 35 dollar model you linked.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Has anyone used one of these? I'm curious if you could cook raw meat in it.

Crock-Pot 20-oz. Lunch Crock Food Warmer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GJ99PEI/

I have looked into those for work, and upon searching, it looks like it won't cook anything at all; it will heat a thing over the course of hours. It's intended to be used for plugging in when you get to work and at lunchtime it's reheated.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
So yesterday I realised I actually shaved the tips of my microplane gloves with my Benriner.

I wonder how close to :gibs: I was. :ohdear:

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Is there any practical difference between a Le Creuset dutch oven and a Lodge dutch oven, aside from the fact that the Le Creuset at full price costs 5x as much. I was tipped that I'm probably getting a Le Creuset for Christmas and am thinking maybe I should just return it and replace it with a Lodge since the cost difference is so obscene. If there's an actual difference in quality I'd probably keep it though, since returning well-intentioned gifts makes me feel like a bit of a jerk.

Tacier fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Dec 7, 2014

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Tacier posted:

Is there any practical difference between a Le Creuset dutch oven and a Lodge dutch oven, aside from the fact that the Le Creuset at full price costs 5x as much. I was tipped that I'm probably getting a Le Creuset for Christmas and am thinking maybe I should just return it and replace it with a Lodge since the cost difference is so obscene. If there's an actual difference in quality I'd probably keep it though, since returning well-intentioned gifts makes me feel like a bit of a jerk.

You may find the tiiiiiiniest difference in lid knob quality. I'd return it and buy a vacation home.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I have the Le Cruset dutch oven, and got my mother in law the Lodge. Within a year, hers developed a chip on the enamel on the inside of the pot. We bought her a replacement and it's been going strong since.

The Le Cruset has nothing more than a little discoloration in the white part of the enamel after 4 or 5 years of use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
What should I put in my pressure cooker (7-quart Kuhn Rikon for size reference) if I want to make one or more small servings of something? Like, say I want to make rice and lentils separately. I was thinking two or three of those stainless-steel camping cups that are designed for cooking over an open fire like this would serve but I'm sure there must be something purpose-built. What would you all recommend?

• Locked thread