Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Ahahahahahaha.

Well, this update has certainly made marriage a bit more interesting:

I picked the last one and she turned into my rival as well. It was pretty good. Sorta awkward when she killed me with sex but eh.

I think that particular dialogue's in the older versions, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Mange Mite posted:

I think that particular dialogue's in the older versions, too.
Yea? It happened twice in a row, too. Pretty amusing. Also paranoid trait really made him hella paranoid; every kid wasn't his (so no prestige!!!) and everyone was out to kill him.

Yea, that no prestige bit makes it really, really poo poo. I ended up hosed over by Pictland juuuust before I was going to turn merchant republic too. Dang.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

Dunatis Ishmael posted:

Right-clicking the person you want to marry in the marriage screen auto-fills it for you still

Well that makes life a lot easier. Seems like it should pop up with a left click, but whatever.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Ahahahahahaha.

Well, this update has certainly made marriage a bit more interesting:

I picked the last one and she turned into my rival as well. It was pretty good. Sorta awkward when she killed me with sex but eh.

This is also getting really annoying. Every time I fall in love with my wife I later get an event making us instantly into rivals because she has a lover; me.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

This is also getting really annoying. Every time I fall in love with my wife I later get an event making us instantly into rivals because she has a lover; me.

Yeah I keep getting the one where I have to choose between my wife and my lover, except they're the same person and she's gonna be pissed whichever button I push.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Wafflecopper posted:

Yeah I keep getting the one where I have to choose between my wife and my lover, except they're the same person and she's gonna be pissed whichever button I push.

Wow, this patch is nowhere near ready for showtime. Here's hoping to god Paradox realizes this and slows down rather than forcing out a poo poo patch that breaks the game.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
That's a really old bug, been there since either The Old Gods or Republic.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
Huh, this was the first time I've seen it in over 400 hours of play. I've been getting a lot more flavor events about friends and rivals in general. It seems like every time I get into a war and I have a friend that owns land, I get the popup that it's not going the way that I thought it would and gives me the option to ask my friend to join the war, ask him for money, or choose neither for some prestige. This one isn't really a problem but it seems weird when it pops up for peasant revolts or other wars that I'm winning easily.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Groogy posted:

That's a really old bug, been there since either The Old Gods or Republic.

Seriously? I've never ever seen that happen despite frequently having a wife-as-lover. I wonder if they jacked up the frequency of the event, so that now every player is going to see it regularly. If so they might want to, y'know, fix it.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Well, that event ("Seeing someone else behind your spouse's back is becoming quite troublesome for you") has a trigger that goes like this:

code:
	trigger = {
		NOT = { has_dlc = "Way of Life" }
		is_married = yes
		has_polygamy = no
		in_command = no

spouse = {
			prisoner = no
			in_command = no
		}
		has_lover = yes
		any_lover = {
			NOT = {
				is_main_spouse = ROOT
			}
		}
	}
A similar event ("You are having a special occasion with your lover in the near future, but your wife is insistent on alternate plans") goes like this:

code:
	trigger = {
		NOT = { has_dlc = "Way of Life" }
		war = no
		in_command = no
		is_married = yes
		spouse = {
			is_alive = yes
			prisoner = no
			is_abroad = no
		}
		fertility = 0.5
		any_lover = {
			is_female = yes
			NOT = {
				spouse = {
					character = ROOT
				}
			}
			is_pregnant = no
			prisoner = no
			NOT = { trait = in_hiding }
		}
		NOT = { trait = in_hiding }
	}
Any reason why the first one has "is_main_spouse" when polygamy is explicitly excluded, and shouldn't it be the same NOT spouse of character = ROOT check like in other events?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Eric the Mauve posted:

Seriously? I've never ever seen that happen despite frequently having a wife-as-lover. I wonder if they jacked up the frequency of the event, so that now every player is going to see it regularly. If so they might want to, y'know, fix it.

Well yeah they've probably be modified to work with Way of Life, so that's why. I know I've gotten it when playing at home like over a year ago.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

1stGear posted:

FAQ

Oh my god how do I start what do I do ahhhhhhhh

That's a normal reaction to first seeing that map. The general recommendation is to start in Ireland as it serves as an unofficial “Tutorial Island” for the game. I personally suggest starting as Dublin. As a short-term goal, form the Duchies of Meath and Leinster and conquer the other province. From there, aim towards forming the Kingdom of Ireland. Once you can do that, you have a solid grasp of CK2's basic mechanics.
Just got this in the Steam sale, and honestly I can't even figure out how to do the above. I turned on the Duchy map and I still can't see Meath or Leinster, I don't know how to form a Duchy with them and I have no idea how to do of any of the stuff required for a CB.

Is there a "I am a total idiot who does not understand a single goddam thing that is happening and this is really boring and frustrating please just tell me clearly what to do in a simple step-by-step manner" guide somewhere? This game has so much going on and the tutorial didn't explain jack.

EDIT: oh, the "tutorial" option that comes up when you first open the game isn't actually the Tutorial, it's just the tutorial. Well, that makes a lot of sense. This game looks like it could be amazing fun but they really throw you in the loving deep end here.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Dec 2, 2014

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Just got this in the Steam sale, and honestly I can't even figure out how to do the above. I turned on the Duchy map and I still can't see Meath or Leinster, I don't know how to form a Duchy with them and I have no idea how to do of any of the stuff required for a CB.

Is there a "I am a total idiot who does not understand a single goddam thing that is happening and this is really boring and frustrating please just tell me clearly what to do in a simple step-by-step manner" guide somewhere? This game has so much going on and the tutorial didn't explain jack.

There is indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH-huzMEgGWBBUYoAjpLxFkbgFw19CeA_

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

That info is badly out of date and refers to the 1066 bookmark. I believe that even in that bookmark some of the names have changed--I think what used to be Munster is now Mumu? Been a while since I looked at Ireland, but yeah.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

EDIT: oh, the "tutorial" option that comes up when you first open the game isn't actually the Tutorial, it's just the tutorial. Well, that makes a lot of sense. This game looks like it could be amazing fun but they really throw you in the loving deep end here.

Maybe if you weren't a baby bitch from upside-down-land and were good at games it wouldn't be that hard.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Did you try the "learning mode" thing with the kingdom of leon?

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

By duchy map, do you mean de jure duchies map? That would tell you what you need to form any single duchy by being all the same color. Click on the ones in the same color as you, and beat those guys up, regardless of what the actual county name is. It probably requires you to use the chancellor to Fabricate Claims first. But yeah, the new tutorial really helps.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Volkerball posted:

Start off as a duke in the middle of nowhere, make your character catholic, pledge fealty to the pope, and then conquer poo poo and hand it off to make the Papacy own everything. You can never be more than a duke, so there's a whole different strategy to giving away titles. Plus your capital is constantly shifting to be close to the front line, so it's a different experience. You're an attack dog, not a leader.

Does the Pope ever raise crown laws that make this harder to do?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Bort Bortles posted:

Does the Pope ever raise crown laws that make this harder to do?

I don't know. Right now I'm toying around with the idea a bit to figure out how I could do it as a merchant republic. With just a strong capital duchy, you can make enough to fund a huge retinue regardless of crown laws. So then you could use your retinue and 3 or 4 rotating duchies and conquer quite a bit. I'm also wondering if I could conquer 80% of a de jure empire under the papacy, and have him create the empire title. Then my merchant republic could be a vassal kingdom, and I could press claims on duchies.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Volkerball posted:

I don't know. Right now I'm toying around with the idea a bit to figure out how I could do it as a merchant republic. With just a strong capital duchy, you can make enough to fund a huge retinue regardless of crown laws. So then you could use your retinue and 3 or 4 rotating duchies and conquer quite a bit. I'm also wondering if I could conquer 80% of a de jure empire under the papacy, and have him create the empire title. Then my merchant republic could be a vassal kingdom, and I could press claims on duchies.

This sounds fun as hell.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Volkerball posted:

Yeah I'm thinking I would conquer a powerful coastal duchy (or two) somewhere then swear fealty to the Pope. Once I did that and my new lands were good to go I would just conquer a duchy pretty much anywhere via holy war, form the new duchy, pass it to the Pope, rinse and repeat.

edit: It would be especially hilarious to do this as a heretical ruler under the Pope, so you could holy war pretty much the whole world.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Bort Bortles posted:

edit: It would be especially hilarious to do this as a heretical ruler under the Pope, so you could holy war pretty much the whole world.

I'm pretty sure you need to be the same religion as your liege to use the Holy War CB.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I wonder what happens if you edit your save file to make the Pope Fracitelli or whatever. Would the game crash upon loading, or just automatically change it back?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
So that's the second completely unexpected game over playing a merchant republic. I either completely suck at playing them or they're buggier than expected.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I'd somehow become the head of a second merchant republic after my predecessor had founded one and sworn fealty to the King of Scotland Alba. Today, taking advantage of a succession crisis and land grab by the King of Norway, I declared independence. During the rebellion, warscore still in the low single digits, before I'd even sieged down one holding, I got a game over for becoming the leader of a republic. :wtc:

It wouldn't be so bad if you could dismiss the game over screen and look around a little to see what might have actually caused this, but it is entirely obtuse to me how 70% of the game works.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

SeaTard posted:

I'm pretty sure you need to be the same religion as your liege to use the Holy War CB.

Aww drat.

Dareon posted:

So that's the second completely unexpected game over playing a merchant republic. I either completely suck at playing them or they're buggier than expected.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I'd somehow become the head of a second merchant republic after my predecessor had founded one and sworn fealty to the King of Scotland Alba. Today, taking advantage of a succession crisis and land grab by the King of Norway, I declared independence. During the rebellion, warscore still in the low single digits, before I'd even sieged down one holding, I got a game over for becoming the leader of a republic. :wtc:

It wouldn't be so bad if you could dismiss the game over screen and look around a little to see what might have actually caused this, but it is entirely obtuse to me how 70% of the game works.

The game is super buggy right now.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

I wonder what happens if you edit your save file to make the Pope Fracitelli or whatever. Would the game crash upon loading, or just automatically change it back?

It gets changed back.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
So, uh, I was playing as one of those little islands above Britain at Charlemagne start date, intending to just chillax until Viking Age and then start raiding and creating a cool Island-themed Empire, when suddenly circa 780, a Pictish King appeared out of nowhere with a fleet of 30 ships and invaded the poo poo out of me. He did that despite the fact that he didn't have a shipyard built in any of his provinces, couldn't raise a ship levy in any of his provinces and noone in Europe (him included, of course) had even the basic shipbuilding 1 technology you need to get ships.

Did I miss some esoteric mechanic that allows you to raise ship despite not having the technology (and buildings) to do so the usual way, or did the AI just cheat himself some units to do a naval invasion?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Lt. Lizard posted:

So, uh, I was playing as one of those little islands above Britain at Charlemagne start date, intending to just chillax until Viking Age and then start raiding and creating a cool Island-themed Empire, when suddenly circa 780, a Pictish King appeared out of nowhere with a fleet of 30 ships and invaded the poo poo out of me. He did that despite the fact that he didn't have a shipyard built in any of his provinces, couldn't raise a ship levy in any of his provinces and noone in Europe (him included, of course) had even the basic shipbuilding 1 technology you need to get ships.

Did I miss some esoteric mechanic that allows you to raise ship despite not having the technology (and buildings) to do so the usual way, or did the AI just cheat himself some units to do a naval invasion?

Probably mercenaries.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Lt. Lizard posted:

There is a decision to hire 30 ships when at war.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

SeaTard posted:

There is a decision to hire 30 ships when at war.

Wait, seriously? I never noticed that. :psyduck:

That's good to know, because now I don't have to wait for Viking Age to go raiding.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Lt. Lizard posted:

Wait, seriously? I never noticed that. :psyduck:

That's good to know, because now I don't have to wait for Viking Age to go raiding.

You need to have part of your realm inaccessible by land to unlock the decision, and even then it only appears when you're at war. I don't think you can use it to go raiding.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Lt. Lizard posted:

http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Decisions#Unit_decisions

This is what he picked.

Btw, I've just noticed that the AI is now way less cool about leaving Islands alone.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Eric the Mauve posted:

You could just make the fraticelli papacy and swear to them? Conquering Rome is pretty easy even if you're little.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Taear posted:

You could just make the fraticelli papacy and swear to them? Conquering Rome is pretty easy even if you're little.

until the HRE pushes an Anti-Pope through :argh:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Taear posted:

The Fraticelli Pope is a Duke level title, so it really limits your options if you swear fealty to him.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Excelzior posted:

until the HRE pushes an Anti-Pope through :argh:
Just had one of these attempted in my game. France decided to challenge it so I got drawn into the war, but it ended quickly when the Kaiser decided (poorly) to land right in front of my full-morale army at Bordeaux. No more antipopes for awhile at least.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Behold! An actual bug report from the Paradox forums:

quote:

make the caliph is error

i have a mirza and 1000 piety and 2000 cash but can't made the caliph it do the shia but i use cheat vasslize mecca medina can make them

Dear Paradox devs, I am so sorry that you have to deal with this.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

SeaTard posted:

The Fraticelli Pope is a Duke level title, so it really limits your options if you swear fealty to him.

If you give the Fraticelli Papacy enough land to create a Kingdom title, will it create said title under Papal Succession? You might be able to be vassal to the Bishopric of France, which just so happens to be ruled by the Fraticelli Pope.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

McGavin posted:

Behold! An actual bug report from the Paradox forums:

Not gonna lie, I read the first line and thought it was gonna be more "Quit pushing Muhammad!"

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Hooray, I captured a single territory as Mumu. Goddam, that took a lot of weird wrangling and work.

More newbie questions:

1) is there a faster way of attaining a CB that doesn't involve using a Chancellor?
2) if I manage to fabricate a claim on a county and then conquer it, can I then make a De Jure claim on the other counties in the Duchy?
3) why won't the Pope let me lay claims? Is he just kinda an rear end in a top hat? I've got the money and the piety but he just doesn't want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Hooray, I captured a single territory as Mumu. Goddam, that took a lot of weird wrangling and work.

More newbie questions:

1) is there a faster way of attaining a CB that doesn't involve using a Chancellor?
2) if I manage to fabricate a claim on a county and then conquer it, can I then make a De Jure claim on the other counties in the Duchy?
3) why won't the Pope let me lay claims? Is he just kinda an rear end in a top hat? I've got the money and the piety but he just doesn't want to.

For 3, usually it would be because the pope doesn't hate the guy who owns the county. Having the papacy in Rome selected and putting on the opinion map mode will let you see who he does and doesn't like. For 2, you also have to own the duchy title, if you don't already.

• Locked thread