Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Or throw them into situations where running is the plan...

Yeah. Send them to deliver something to a Watch Fortress, and then have them steal/jailbreak something from the vaults/cells. They can run away from all sorts of high power Marines, Inquisition staff and hordes of navy ratings on their way out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sour Blossom
Apr 21, 2005
L O L 6 6
Watch, they'll try to steal the watch fortress itself.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

goatface posted:

Give them reasons to stay. Things they have to defend, or the things they really want being dependent on them destroying the enemy there and then.

Or just start docking them infamy for being cowards and start shaking your fist at them.

That's what I wound up doing in Rogue Trader, that and make sure they don't always have access to their big gently caress off cruiser with murder servitors that they kept using to capture things.

I'm still kind of getting into the groove of GMing Black Crusade. After all, unlike the other systems the point of the heretics is that they are aggressively self interested. No grand stands and mighty heroics unless they're getting something out of it. It's still hard to figure out what the acceptable things to throw at the group without killing them outright are. In Rogue Trader, the navigator couldn't use his gaze all the time because then the party would get absolutely furious when he killed them by accident. In Black Crusade the psyker cranks the dial up to 11 and blows up things with his head and lets the phenomenae dice fall where they may.

I thought the Necrons would make decent enemies for them to face, but then realized that when 2 members of the party still have las weaponry that perhaps it wasn't the best choice...

Shadow Isaac
Nov 16, 2011

by Ralp

Azran posted:

Which reminds me - what changes have you done to the 40k universe for your games? I've personally allowed female Space Marines (not like you'd be able to differentiate what the hell that posthuman monster in front of you is to begin with) and introduced some races from stuff like Endless Legend as really minor xenos species.

So far my group's changes have been fairly minor in the grand scheme of things. We've canonized a new Saint, Saint Hardworlder, the Navis House Mercator was elevated to a noble house and a new noble Navis House was created, and we sold Magoros Secundus to the Kroot, who promptly handed the entire Magoros system over to the Tau once our Rogue Trader vessel left the system.

Also, our first Astropath's familiar turned out to be a daemon prince and it has been manipulating things behind the scenes throughout 2 RT campaigns, a BC campaign, and a DH campaign, with 3 separate GMs, so its continual schemes to escape the warp and take revenge have become basically the big bad for most of our campaigns.

Shadow Isaac fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 3, 2014

contagonist
Jul 21, 2014

You shouldn't be doing anything with fluorine.

frajaq posted:

The Golden Ballers of the Adeptus Mechanicus has been summoned.... to create the most pimped out bolter ever

That belongs in a Catachan drug lord's swag room.

quote:

Which reminds me - what changes have you done to the 40k universe for your games?

Let's see.

I make the AdMech far less regressive (but the layman still mystified - if you've worked IT you know this isn't ridiculous)
Women can be Spess Mehrines, and Spess Mehrines are less honor-bound and more tactically flexible.
Melee is far less common outside of cultural exercises - except for Orks and Tyranids, because Orks and Tyranids.
I knock a 0 or two off starship crew populations.

Oh, and the Warp.

I tend to get a bit different with the Warp - it's less 'alternate dimension is space hell' as it is 'Silent Hill The Parallel Universe' - a reflection of reality, darkly interpreted by the eternally decaying psyches of billions of years worth of awful aliens, of which Humans are only the latest to add their traumas to. Demons are either far too human or way too alien - mirror images of your self destructive tendencies or the same for aliens that fell prey to their own shadows.

Chaos Space Marines are.. well, let's say they didn't drop the gun in the ending to Spec Ops: The Line.

quote:

I'm fairly certain at this point that the group is going to specialize in ways to either ignore the encounters I come up with, or blow them apart with psychic abilities.

I'm sorry, but I gathered urgent flight was necessary considering an entire Necron Tomb was waking up around us. If you want us to be less spooked, don't stage the encounter in a room with at least four dozen Necron warriors between us and the exit :B.

In all seriousness, I think our collective perception was less "we might get hurt" to "we will be vaporized."

contagonist fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Dec 3, 2014

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Azran posted:

Which reminds me - what changes have you done to the 40k universe for your games?
As of yet, it's just the usual business that female Space Marines can exist. My explanation for why they haven't in canon was that the Emperor et al. had a choice between a good result soon and a better result later, and chose the former due to perceived time constraints from Chaos. And now nearly everyone just assumes it only works on males due to tradition.

Beyond that it's up to the players to change things, but I'm guessing they'll be implementing at least the following:
-Chaos Space Marines who aren't male humans will become increasingly common. (Dunno whether they'll go into the crazy that is non-human Space Marines.)
-Integrating Tau technology into human technology on an industrial scale. (The major problem with the Tau scaling their stuff up is that their empire is comparatively tiny; humans can go bonkers if they understand the stuff.)
-Chaos Ork Waugghs.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My line on Space Marine gender in the game I run is that Astartes are genderless. They can potentially be made from male or female humans, but the transformation into Astartes wipes away any sexual characteristics the human base might have.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

And even if not, where will a space marine even find the time?
Someone post that activities chart.

contagonist
Jul 21, 2014

You shouldn't be doing anything with fluorine.

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

And even if not, where will a space marine even find the time?
Someone post that activities chart.

15 minutes is all you need for TWO sessions, if you're quick.

Shadow Isaac
Nov 16, 2011

by Ralp
What is the appeal of running a female space marine, I sincerely do not understand why you would even want to do that.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Shadow Isaac posted:

What is the appeal of running a female space marine, I sincerely do not understand why you would even want to do that.

Playing a certified rear end-kicking woman super soldier is its own reward.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
What's the appeal of arbitrarily limiting player character gender, I sincerely do not understand why you would even want to do that.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Cythereal posted:

Playing a certified rear end-kicking woman super soldier is its own reward.

Making groggy warhams angry is also part of it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

^^Also, this.

It was also a good excuse to write some Primarch stories, which I found was a lot of fun to do and helped me get a better handle on how I want to write the Emperor, etc.

Also, there's the fact that two of the five of my regular Warhams RPG group are women and prefer to have the option to play women if they wish when we have giant supersoldier fun times.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Dec 3, 2014

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Although I am a confused sperglord who get angry when people break with (often arcane and contradictory) 40K canon, I guess that makes sense. 40K was and is a man's world, and I would probably get annoyed with it if I was a woman playing.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Tias posted:

Although I am a confused sperglord who get angry when people break with (often arcane and contradictory) 40K canon, I guess that makes sense. 40K was and is a man's world, and I would probably get annoyed with it if I was a woman playing.

Must be hard for you considering GW break with canon more than anyone.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
It doesn't help that Games Workshop pays the Sisters of Battle virtually no real attention aside from having them job to pretty much everyone when they aren't being butchered by Grey Knights so that they can paint their armor in holy blood.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Sisters of Battle campaign I'm running right now is basically a series of setups that GW usually uses to write some more Sister Snuff, except the Sisters are the PCs, and thus the story follows them fighting their way through these messes and kicking the hell out of their enemies. "The Sisters find an ancient secret! An Inquisitor shows up with DARK PURPOSE and corners them in the church! ...And then the Repentia cuts him in half with a chainsaw." etc.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Please run a Sisters of Battle PbP here, tia.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

MaliciousOnion posted:

It is /thousandyard stare.

This is me IRL anytime I look at a new product: :vomarine:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kai Tave posted:

It doesn't help that Games Workshop pays the Sisters of Battle virtually no real attention aside from having them job to pretty much everyone when they aren't being butchered by Grey Knights so that they can paint their armor in holy blood.

My previous Rogue Trader campaign ended with our lady Rogue Trader and our Sister of Battle, also a happily married couple, as the only survivors of the PC group. Sister Errant Cassandra and Rogue Trader Rhea were both canonized as Imperial saints after they passed through the Eternity Gate with their STC and were never seen again. Rhea the Twice Burned is now the patron saint of Rogue Traders, and Cassandra of the Errant Stars the patron saint of battling the Night Lords.

Cassandra even bagged the kill on Jago Sevatarion. People with flamers are one of the reasons why less cocky Astartes wear helmets.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I hope Sevatar got to go out on a psychopathic badass note. I love how he was portrayed in Prince of Crows as a guy who had had it up to here with this poo poo, do you hear me, and isn't gonna take anymore!
Only with more sarcasm.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

VanSandman posted:

I hope Sevatar got to go out on a psychopathic badass note. I love how he was portrayed in Prince of Crows as a guy who had had it up to here with this poo poo, do you hear me, and isn't gonna take anymore!
Only with more sarcasm.

He tore apart a Necron cryptek with his lightning claws, but wasn't expecting Cassandra to turn a flamer on her friend for a shot at killing Jago. Ibtisam al-Sahrahani of the Bashir Dynasty was dead anyway, and so Jago went out with his head on fire because he declined to wear a helmet against a Sister with a flamer.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

MaliciousOnion posted:

If the necrons got that overhaul, there's hope for everyone.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Dec 3, 2014

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I think that my changes to cannon...the only one I can think of is that I'd like Techpriests that aren't stupid and are actually observant, but they're in an animist universe where their theology is mostly correct. They'd be like the various, vaguely Taoist sages and alchemists from Wuxia fantasy, and the Crimson Guard would be like Shaolin warrior monks, which I'm totally down with.
Also there exist Puritan Techpriests that disdain machines in addition to flesh in favor of pure logic and are mathematicians and philosophers.

Missionaria Galactica Rogue Trader where you take a convent of Sisters in a starship to spread the Imperial Faith beyond the borders of the Imperium would kick rear end.
"To boldly go where no Nun has gone before."

I just never really have any confidence that I can actually run these games and not have them suck. To generate appropriate challenges to face and enemies to fight. I mean, character generation gives me headaches, how can I take into account everything else in a campaign?

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
You won't get better at doing a thing by not doing that thing.

Do a thing.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

Please run a Sisters of Battle PbP here, tia.

Yes please. I would play in this so much.

I'd also play in a DW-that-isn't-mine, assumine female marines were okay. Or a Rogue Trader. But especially a Sisters game.

Esser-Z fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Dec 3, 2014

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'll have to think of a plot, and I still can't figure out how to post pictures without image leeching, so you'd have to put up with a relative lack of art, but I'll think of something and give DMing PBP a shot sometime next week after my finals, then, if there's interest. I've never run a PBP game before, though, they always looked kind of painfully slow to me.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Lack of art is fine, but it's simple! Just upload to imgur and put the direct image url in [img] or [timg] tags! You can either download what you want then upload it, or just paste the picture's url into the field on the imgur upload and do it straight from the net!

They can be slow, yeah, unfortunately. Depends on the group and stuff.

I am definitely interested, and I'm pretty sure you'll get further interest!

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

contagonist posted:

I'm sorry, but I gathered urgent flight was necessary considering an entire Necron Tomb was waking up around us. If you want us to be less spooked, don't stage the encounter in a room with at least four dozen Necron warriors between us and the exit :B.

In all seriousness, I think our collective perception was less "we might get hurt" to "we will be vaporized."

That's called rolling with it. "The party wants to run away screaming? Okay, let's give them something to really run from."

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Now seems like a good time to point out that recently announced DH2 supplement will have rules for PC Sororitas.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Gaghskull posted:

That's called rolling with it. "The party wants to run away screaming? Okay, let's give them something to really run from."

Jack sparrow-running from some encounters is an important part of any 40k game I've been in, bar deathwatch. There's really bad stuff out there, some that player characters of any level will literally never ever be equipped to deal with. I'd def put "awakening tomb world" up there, right next to "hive fleet planetfall."

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Dude, clearly you need to STEAL THE TOMB WORLD and somehow get the Necrons to work for you.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Esser-Z posted:

Dude, clearly you need to STEAL THE TOMB WORLD and somehow get the Necrons to work for you.

You hack the gibson

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Azhais posted:

You hack the gibson

PERFECT.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So, thinking some on my commute to and from my morning class, I have a couple ideas for Sisters that might be interesting. We'd use Only War, I'd need a little time to get some stuff straight mechanically, but here they are:

Sisters of Salvation: The Order of the Guiding Light is a proud martial order going back centuries. They have one serious problem: They're located on Castobel, in the Jericho Reach. Instead of standing guard against the Long Night and the terrors of heresy, they suddenly find themselves facing Hive Fleet Dagon in a desperate effort to protect their world just as the light of the Emperor had returned to it.

Der Hexenhammer: The Order of Der Hexenhammer would be a specialized witch-hunting force, sent to deal with rogue Inquisitors, powerful psykers, sorcerers, and other terrible things in the aftermath of Abbadon's defeat at Cadia, seeking out and cleansing heretics driven mad by the passing of the Black Crusade.

Knights of the Spinward Front: Sisters-Errant of the Order of the Sacred Sword have got so many dudes to gently caress up in the Severan Dominate, you don't even know. Their veins are popping with rage at the idea of some dipshit rogue trader roman cosplayer having the temerity to declare himself the true inheritor of legitimate imperial authority. gently caress that guy.

Do any of those sound like fun?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Any and all sound good. Latter two might be easier to make.

Shadow Isaac
Nov 16, 2011

by Ralp

Pharmaskittle posted:

Jack sparrow-running from some encounters is an important part of any 40k game I've been in, bar deathwatch. There's really bad stuff out there, some that player characters of any level will literally never ever be equipped to deal with. I'd def put "awakening tomb world" up there, right next to "hive fleet planetfall."

My last RT game had an FP-burn avoided TPK minus me when they strapped starship engines to a moon and crashed it into a tombworld. Being the kabalite, I peaced out into the webway the second they put the plan into action.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."
I've got most of the parts needed to start a 1d10 based Hiveganger Game, but the shooting system is still a clusterfuck.

The first-draft version of these rules was 1d100 like the other 40k systems, and you had to beat a TN of 80 after your modifiers to score a hit. Except there were too drat many potential modifiers and it became rather ugly and clunky.

Right now I've decided that the standard attack is people firing bursts/full auto, and that single (aimed?) shots should be a bit of an aberration. Perhaps single shots provide a -1 penalty to hit, and aiming gives you +2 to hit (But also the penalty that people firing on you get +1 to hit you?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I'd definitely be down to play a Sororitas PbP, if there's a handy character builder available. 420 Burn Heretics Every Day mixed with literal miracles of faith combined with martial-badassery is pretty much my deal. It's basically playing an All-Paladin party, without any sort of falling mechanics due to accidentally killing an innocent because there are no innocents.
Personally I'd go with the idea that the Sororitas are part of the Ordo Hereticus, meaning the search out and burn to death internal Imperium heresy that isn't obviously chaotic, like a World-Governor deciding to not pay his taxes for a few decades or a Rogue Trader who didn't get the memo that they're only untouchable if they don't gently caress with the Imperium as an institution.