Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

stayfrostycc posted:

Magatsu Izanagi unique ability is multiple heavy cut attacks at the very end of the turn. That can crit and boost you. It's pretty great.

zurai's talking about extractable skills, which seem to never be uniques.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So hey asking for help again. On the 4th floor of the 4th dungeon I seem to be stuck on the first puzzle :negative:

I got the torch lit near the 4 Dude FOE's and have all the shortcuts I know about open. I go to light the torch but by the time I get to the bottom shortcut the torch goes out and the others are too far away it would seem.

Edit: Turns out I missed a pinwheel. :cripes:

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 3, 2014

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So hey asking for help again. On the 4th floor of the 4th dungeon I seem to be stuck on the first puzzle :negative:

I got the torch lit near the 4 Dude FOE's and have all the shortcuts I know about open. I go to light the torch but by the time I get to the bottom shortcut the torch goes out and the others are too far away it would seem.

in the south section, right? there's a one-way shortcut directly across from the torch. get through there and you'll find another torch, then you go north from there and circle around to get to the other two torches, and then you go through another one-way shortcut to get to the sealed door.

edit: oh you found it. good deal.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Yeah now I'm just kinda bumbling around the north part of the map. I have a idea on where the plots going and I kinda wish I could just skip this floor, torch wore out it's welcome almost instantly.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

The torch isn't that big a deal on the 4th floor. Actually I found the 4th floor way less annoying than the 3rd. 4.3 dragged on for loving ever.

Thankfully, although the final labyrinth has more floors than the others, all except the last one are significantly smaller and the puzzles are a bit less of a PITA than the previous two dungeons.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Checking for add-on content on the title screen still does jack poo poo for me besides downloading the same update I already have for the fifteenth time.
Looks like NIS America (europe) is looking into it.

Dastardly fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Dec 3, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Zurai posted:

I've got a nearly-complete Enepedia and there are precisely 6 FOEs/Bosses with no weaknesses which I have seen (not counting The Reaper who probably also is in that category, but I havn't tried to kill it yet). Two are the two different Card Soldiers in the first labyrinth, one is an utterly stationary FOE, one is a semi-mobile FOE you have to intentionally choose to fight, and then the first and fourth labyrinth bosses (though the first hardly counts since there's plenty of ways to get Boost in that fight). That's it.

In the second labyrinth like half of the angel FOEs have no weaknesses (I can think of three varieties, gold, pink, and white. Gold is the only of them that has weaknesses, though there might be another one I'm forgetting) and none of the card soldiers do.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

In the second labyrinth like half of the angel FOEs have no weaknesses (I can think of three varieties, gold, pink, and white. Gold is the only of them that has weaknesses, though there might be another one I'm forgetting) and none of the card soldiers do.

Yes. You never have to fight any of the angels unless you gently caress up royally. Two of them are utterly stationary and one of them only moves if you're facing directly at it. There's no possible way for any of them to ambush you. Even the archer with the arrows that force you to move towards them give you the chance to Goho-M away. And, again, those are literally the last FOEs with no weaknesses (except maybe The Reaper in the final labyrinth which I still havn't given a serious try). More than half of the FOEs in the second labyrinth have weaknesses and all of the FOEs in the third and fourth labyrinths do. Most if maybe not all of the FOEs in the final labyrinth have weaknesses. The bosses of the second and third (and first if you count the minions) labyrinths have weaknesses.

I'll note that I literally listed the exact same things you just did in the post you responded to, so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

EDIT: So I just found out that you can self-proc your Links with Heroic Gemini. I think I'm going to set Yosuke up as a Linker in my NG+ run.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Dec 3, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm making note of it because more than half of the FOEs in the entire first half of the game, potentially all but one even, have no weaknesses. That they don't move or that you can avoid them is irrelevant to how fun they are to fight. They're not even hard, just annoying. And you're going to fight them, it really doesn't matter whether you have to or not. You will. Maybe they should have put the ones with weaknesses first and kept the ones without for the end game, though it'd still be lame as gently caress to deal with them then.

My point is that what you're saying has no bearing on what I'd said at all. Optional or not, they're still not fun to fight and you should be fighting them. It'd be stupid not to.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Fenris13 posted:

For 2 dollars each, they really seem like some shameless cash grabs.

Honestly I prefer them locking super powerful stuff behind a paywall rather than actual content. SMT4 locked pretty much all the post-game stuff behind DLC, and even made it impossible to beat the last DLC without buying some of the prior ones. From what I've seen in PQ there's none of that, and the postgame is not difficult at all for SMT standards so you don't really need the DLC.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'm making note of it because more than half of the FOEs in the entire first half of the game, potentially all but one even, have no weaknesses.

This is outright false. Like, it's not close either by quantity on the map or by quantity in the Enepedia.

quote:

My point is that what you're saying has no bearing on what I'd said at all. Optional or not, they're still not fun to fight and you should be fighting them. It'd be stupid not to.

Why should you be fighting them? Why is it stupid not to? I didn't intentionally fight any of the FOEs which weren't quest targets until the 3rd labyrinth, and even then I didn't do it until after they'd stopped showing up as puzzle elements.

You're making poo poo up to justify your false assumptions.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Zurai posted:

Why should you be fighting them? Why is it stupid not to? I didn't intentionally fight any of the FOEs which weren't quest targets until the 3rd labyrinth, and even then I didn't do it until after they'd stopped showing up as puzzle elements.

It's worth fighting one FOE of each type as soon as possible to get their drops for equipment upgrades, but as long as you have a source of poison, fighting one FOE goes pretty fast even if it doesn't have weaknesses you can hit. The game definitely doesn't expect you to brute-force your way through rooms full of FOEs.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

I just got this game, and aside from a few gripes (Teddy's schtick is getting real old), I'm lovin' it. Naoto + Impure Reach + Mahama (plus Chie with Mamudo) means I can just have all my other characters defend every fight if I wanted to, if it weren't for the fact that it doesn't net me new personas I'd have literally no reason to resolve fights any other way.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Woo, I finally finished the game. I totally didn't cried at the ending.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I just started this and want to run a party with Yosuke, Chie, and Kanji but everyone is front line fighters. Is this just not something I can do?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You can run Yosuke as back row and offset his disadvantages by just making him use magic attacks and giving him sub persona that support it.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Cool thanks!

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Radish posted:

I just started this and want to run a party with Yosuke, Chie, and Kanji but everyone is front line fighters. Is this just not something I can do?

What they say are front line fighters or back line fighters only means how effective is their basic attacks are in which row. It's fine, anyway.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

When's the earliest I can turn Naoto into a random battle killing machine? Thanks in advance.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
She's one from the get-go.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Volt Catfish posted:

When's the earliest I can turn Naoto into a random battle killing machine? Thanks in advance.

She joins your party.

If you really want to shred things, once your main character hits level 14 or so, you can fuse Incubus, which has the Impure Reach ability.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
eh, i'd say it takes until she gets mahama/mamudo for the murder train to really pick up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Inflammatory posted:

eh, i'd say it takes until she gets mahama/mamudo for the murder train to really pick up.

Nah, early on enemies don't come in big numbers so even insta-killing one enemy per round is enough.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Do circles have a lower chance of applying their debuffs as a tradeoff for being a a room-wide persistent debuff? I know I complained about not being able to land poison a few pages ago, and I just realized it's because I've been trying to apply it with a circle.

Or maybe I should ask what's the quickest way to grab an Impure Reach skill card to toss onto my arcanist.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Moldy Taxes posted:

Do circles have a lower chance of applying their debuffs as a tradeoff for being a a room-wide persistent debuff? I know I complained about not being able to land poison a few pages ago, and I just realized it's because I've been trying to apply it with a circle.

Or maybe I should ask what's the quickest way to grab an Impure Reach skill card to toss onto my arcanist.

i'm not sure on the circles versus regular ailment spells thing. i don't think there's much of a difference in sp costs though, so i'd assume there's some drawback to circles.

if you're far enough into the game to be able to extract skill cards from personas, i'm pretty sure incubus is your best bet. if you're not that far, just keep going, it unlocks partway through the third stratum.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Spoiler for after maze 4 Man I just lost my dad to cancer two days ago. Did my funtime anime game really have to turn Rei into a dead cancer patient too? That got me way harder then it should have.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I haven't started this game yet, but I've been reading comments here and elsewhere about the effectiveness of various members and their potential roles in the party. I've gone from "wow, Naoto sounds good, I should use her" to "wow, Naoto sounds too good, maybe I shouldn't use her," especially after reading about Impure Reach affecting Hama/Mudo. To be honest, that one thing sounds like just an awful design decision.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I haven't started this game yet, but I've been reading comments here and elsewhere about the effectiveness of various members and their potential roles in the party. I've gone from "wow, Naoto sounds good, I should use her" to "wow, Naoto sounds too good, maybe I shouldn't use her," especially after reading about Impure Reach affecting Hama/Mudo. To be honest, that one thing sounds like just an awful design decision.

It sounds like a page taken from N/A in EO4 which was one of the most broken class combinations you could get in that game.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Just do what I do and rotate everybody in and out of the party. That way you're only using the crazy broken occasionally. :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

It isn't really. There are plenty of powerful ability combinations. Hama/Mudo + Impure just happens to be one of the easiest ones to get off.

Anyone with Tentarafoo is also broke as hell with Impure Reach for example. Part-wide panic is crazy and can cornhole many FOEs.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
I've had huge success with Kaguya, my god Lunar Blessing + Holy Blessing is the most broken thing ever. Went head first into the 3rd labyrinth and took out the first FOE I encountered, yeah it has 4 times my attack/defense stat but who cares, Lunar/Holy Blessing every other turn because of Shock Oils and done-ski. I then got wiped by a common with Wind Corrosion and Magarula right after. :downs:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Persona Q: "That went disappointingly fast..."

The best way to farm Personas isn't random battles anyway, it's by farming FOEs. You get a high-level persona you can immediately throw into the woodchipper that is Sacrifice Spread, or a new skill card.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Minor things to be thankful for: the spider webs in the final labyrinth do not count for map completion percentage.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Inflammatory posted:

i'm not sure on the circles versus regular ailment spells thing. i don't think there's much of a difference in sp costs though, so i'd assume there's some drawback to circles.

if you're far enough into the game to be able to extract skill cards from personas, i'm pretty sure incubus is your best bet. if you're not that far, just keep going, it unlocks partway through the third stratum.

Thanks for that. I've just hit the 4th floor of the 2nd dungeon so I'm not quite there yet, but I'll keep it in mind.

Speaking of the 2nd dungeon, I'm a pretty big fan of how each floor introduced a new FOE mechanic, with the 4th floor tying them all together.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
Is this useful to anyone?

I had TWO Fusion Accidents in a row, which means after refusing my materials for all-bind Samael I was down 180k. THANKS MARGARET. (Her reaction to a fusion accident is still amazing though)

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

this game has the prettiest QR codes imo

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Well the old doll was rather disappointing, I fought it and panic'd it with panic circle on the first turn of the fight and then killed it on the 6th turn later while it was still panicing from that first circle.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I got Elizabeth as my destined partner. Game over folks, I have clearly won at this video game.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

I got Elizabeth as my destined partner. Game over folks, I have clearly won at this video game.

jealous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
can i just say that i really don't like how the first question is worded?

"does age or sex matter as long as there is love" and the answers are "it doesn't matter" and "sex matters".

i'm not sure how that got through the editing process without raising any eyebrows.

• Locked thread