Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I opted for the path of least resistance and convinced my office it wanted to use gmail for its provider. Problems solved!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I'm trying to JB my 6 and it's now stuck at a white Apple logo screen with a progress bar under it that won't fill up. What are my options to fix this without restoring to 8.1.1 and losing my ability to JB?

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 24, 2014

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

goodness posted:

I guess that would be for people who have to use something else for work? You can forward those all to gmail too.

It can't be unbelievable that lots of people would want to use Mail.app rather than Gmail.app, which is basically a glorified webview of m.gmail.com.

In fact, the Push for Gmail app is now one of the few, key tweaks that Apple will never implement (along with f.lux and a couple others) that in my mind will always justify jail breaking.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

bobfather posted:

It can't be unbelievable that lots of people would want to use Mail.app rather than Gmail.app, which is basically a glorified webview of m.gmail.com.

In fact, the Push for Gmail app is now one of the few, key tweaks that Apple will never implement (along with f.lux and a couple others) that in my mind will always justify jail breaking.

GMail has push in mail provided you set it up as an exchange account. For which you need to Pay Google. Because Microsoft charge them a license fee for this functionality.

It would work for me if I set it up because I have google apps for my domain. I haven't because I much prefer the Gmail app.

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug
Some guy has spent a lot of time working out the wifi perfomrance bugs that many people see with iOS 8 and has created a fix. There's an article by him about it here: https://medium.com/@mariociabarra/wifried-ios-8-wifi-performance-issues-3029a164ce94

Short version is: install WiFried from the ModMyi repo. It adds a toggle to your control center which completely disables the wifi direct that Air Drop uses, which is what causes the wifi performance problems.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Any word on when BiteSMS may be updated for iOS 8?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

ICHIBAHN posted:

Any word on when BiteSMS may be updated for iOS 8?

Months, they said.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Looking for a tweak that will let me hide all that junk on the status bar (lock icon, Bluetooth etc). Cheers.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

ICHIBAHN posted:

Looking for a tweak that will let me hide all that junk on the status bar (lock icon, Bluetooth etc). Cheers.

Cloaky is my preferred tweak. There are a couple others..

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

HideMe8 is just great.

Rabite
Apr 13, 2002

Dynamiet Rab
im looking for something similar, I think its the notification bar?

Like when you are in an app and get a text, is there a tweak to make it smaller or slimmer, go away faster?
I swear I used to have a tweak like that.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Diet notifications?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

TinyBar by Alex Zielenski. I think the iOS 8 beta is only on his repo though.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

SeANMcBAY posted:

I'm trying to JB my 6 and it's now stuck at a white Apple logo screen with a progress bar under it that won't fill up. What are my options to fix this without restoring to 8.1.1 and losing my ability to JB?

I guess you can just restore to 8.1.1 cuz 8.1.1 jailbreak is out now.

From Taig. Pretty unexpected. But I get the feeling that nothing is ever expected and whenever people talk like "ohhh we will get a jailbreak for this one" or "ohhh we won't see a jailbreak until iOS X.X" they're just talking out their rear end. No one ever knows.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Apparently some of the exploits used in this jailbreak were fixed by Apple in the 8.2 betas, so they released for 8.1.1.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

iDownloadBlog article says TaiG is like the first iteration of PanGu (the iOS 7 one), and wants to install extra stuff, but they have a quick video showing how to make sure you don't get anything but the JB and Cydia.

Also, there seems to be conflicting information about it working with iOS 8.2 Beta. iDownloadBlog says it doesn't work, but MuscleNerd's tweet says it does:

"Looks like TaiG just released a jailbreak for 8.1.1 (and 8.0,8.1,8.2beta). Best to wait a few days just in case"

The general consensus I'm picking up is that unless you really really really want to be on the newest version, it's probably better to just restore to 8.1, since Apple is still signing it.

Also, of course, some tweaks, like Springtomize 3, are being reported as not working on 8.1.1, so there's always that, too.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Praise China

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Oh, I forgot to mention that it's Windows only, though iDownloadBlog reports it works fine on a Mac running Windows VM on OS X.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
iOS 8.1.1
Pangu Jailbreak
iPhone 5 (AT&T)

I did the jailbreak. Problem is, I can't download anything in Cydia. I'm getting error code 2 (dpkg returned an error code (2)). I can't connect to the phone via FTP because I can't download OpenSSH. I haven't backed my phone up, so what can I do without reformatting the phone?

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
There is no Pangu jailbreak for 8.1.1. You need to use TaiG's tool.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

ibntumart posted:

There is no Pangu jailbreak for 8.1.1. You need to use TaiG's tool.

Oops, that's what I meant to say. Will I brick my phone if I do a shift Update on iTunes to just a normal 8.1.1 and then jailbreak again?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Sorry for the really basic question, but I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing and I want to jailbreak my iphone 4s. Now seems as good a time as any. I just follow this guide I guess? http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/11/29/how-to-jailbreak-ios-8-1-1-on-windows/

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

89 posted:

iOS 8.1.1
Pangu Jailbreak
iPhone 5 (AT&T)

I did the jailbreak. Problem is, I can't download anything in Cydia. I'm getting error code 2 (dpkg returned an error code (2)). I can't connect to the phone via FTP because I can't download OpenSSH. I haven't backed my phone up, so what can I do without reformatting the phone?

Same thing happened to me on my iPad. Turns out the jailbreak didn't work all the way, and while cydia was there it didn't actually have rights.

Try jailbreaking again after a reboot, making sure airplane mode and stuff. I had to restore then jailbreak to get it right I think...

If the phone still works right just not cydia, you could make a backup now right?

Moose-Alini fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 3, 2014

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

McDragon posted:

Sorry for the really basic question, but I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing and I want to jailbreak my iphone 4s. Now seems as good a time as any. I just follow this guide I guess? http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/11/29/how-to-jailbreak-ios-8-1-1-on-windows/

What ios are you on? If 8.1 do that with pangu cause it works way better. If 8.1.1 then yeah follow that article, it's not too hard.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

How to easily update to iOS 8.1.1 (which is seriously a nice update, even if it's just a point update):

1. Download the IPSW for your device by searching Google for iOS 8.1.1 IPSW. I generally use Redmondpie's links.
2. If you use Flex, back up the Flex plist in your Documents folder. If you use Activator, make sure to make a backup of your Activator actions.
3. Download AppInfo and save a list of all of your Cydia repos and tweaks. Alternatively, use something like PkgBackup, but be sure to NOT backup anything Pangu-related.
4. Make an up-to-date iCloud or iTunes backup.
5. Shift or Option click "Restore" in iTunes, and then select the IPSW you downloaded. Allow iTunes to update your device.
6. Download Taig.
7. When your device finishes restoring, and after it ends up on the "Hello" screen, BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING TO THE PHONE, run Taig, uncheck the green option (but keep the Cydia option checked), and then hit the bottom box to jailbreak the phone.
8. Taig will jailbreak the phone, the phone will restart, and it will boot right back to the "Hello" screen again. Now restore from iCloud or iTunes, and then use AppInfo or PckgBackup to restore your repos and tweaks. All done!

bobfather fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 3, 2014

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Moose-Alini posted:

What ios are you on? If 8.1 do that with pangu cause it works way better. If 8.1.1 then yeah follow that article, it's not too hard.

Okay, thanks. Yeah, I'm on 8.1.1 because my phone decided to just off itself the other day and the only thing that got it working again was restoring it and it updated at the same time. Decided I may as well check out jailbreaking now. Always meant to have a go.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

89 posted:

iOS 8.1.1
Pangu Jailbreak
iPhone 5 (AT&T)

This happened to me when I jailbroke after an ota update (phone shop did it for me as a "service")

I just restored and redid the whole thing.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I recall springtomize or some other app allowed you to disable badges on a per-app basis. Something about double tapping on a wiggling icon. Am I remembering something else?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
You can disable badges on a per app basis via Notification settings, unless you're talking about something different.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Whirlwind Jones posted:

You can disable badges on a per app basis via Notification settings, unless you're talking about something different.

That's exactly what I was looking for thanks! I've just have grown accustomed to needing a JB tweak.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Alright I hate to be paranoid here and beat the dead horse but the battery life on my 6 is pretty poo poo. Anyone find any major culprits? I'm on 8.1

its pretty much the same as my 5 and everyone keeps talking about going days without a charge. Tempted to try non-jb 8.1.1 since its jailbreakable

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 5, 2014

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Christoff posted:

Alright I hate to be paranoid here and beat the dead horse but the battery life on my 6 is pretty poo poo. Anyone find any major culprits? I'm on 8.1

its pretty much the same as my 5 and everyone keeps talking about going days without a charge. Tempted to try non-jb 8.1.1 since its jailbreakable

The people talking about going days without a charge are either 6+ owners, or barely use their phones.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

6+ have a better battery? I assume yea but it also has more screen

Mine seems to drain like 5%+ overnight. My 5 wouldn't drop 1%

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Jesus, the people who update the Bright House TV app absolutely love to put anti-jailbreak measures into it. I got the program working for a week long period after the 8.1 jailbreak came out and then it broke again. Even the Xfinity app is nowhere near as bad as this (amazingly).

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

Was able to jailbreak my iPhone 6 with TaiG on 8.1.1 with no hassle. This also worked after failing to jailbreak with the Pangu tool on 8.1 (getting nothing but a black screen on the bootstrap program that's supposed to install Cydia), so you're not completely shut out if Pangu failed you for whatever reason.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Christoff posted:

Facebook App is the worst offender for the most part. I don't really have any problems with mine, because I hardly use my phone during work except for lunch, and I plug in whenever I am in my car.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Anyone know a tweak that will prevent pages and ads and stuff from opening the AppStore?

Senturion
Jul 29, 2013

Moose-Alini posted:

Anyone know a tweak that will prevent pages and ads and stuff from opening the AppStore?
If you're talking about in Cydia, there's NoAdStoreOpen. I'm not sure about the same for something like Safari or other apps.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Senturion posted:

If you're talking about in Cydia, there's NoAdStoreOpen. I'm not sure about the same for something like Safari or other apps.

Nah the new versions of cydia fix that, I'm talkin Safari.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Armacham posted:

Facebook App is the worst offender for the most part. I don't really have any problems with mine, because I hardly use my phone during work except for lunch, and I plug in whenever I am in my car.

Mikoto has a tweak that keeps facebook from running in the background constantly and "abusing its VOIP entitlements". I thing that might help the facebook battery problem.

• Locked thread