Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

jaegerx posted:

Unfortunately not. Zenoss 4.x series doesn't support it. However 5.0 is supposed to be going towards using Hadoop and I wouldn't be surprised if opentsdb is their solution. Rrd files are just nasty. We had to turn off data for things that our noc would like to have but wasn't necessary. Fortunately the new environment is built with a staging environment in mind to allow testing of 5.x without taking down the existing.
There's an OpenTSDB ZenPack that has 3.2.x/4.2.x support listed, but I have no idea how well it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

jaegerx posted:

There a normal post. Rrd files are just terrible in nature due to the small size and constant writing nature. Running them on lustre was a challenge. We tried gluster first but it wasn't up to it. We eventually found the sweet spot with 6 management nodes. We could've used fiber but the expense was too high so instead we use the fiber to support our vms over clvm so we can pass them around instantly via kvm.

This was with zenoss commercial edition. We needed some of the commercial packages to support our larger network hardware.

I've had good luck w/ rrdcached, if you can handle a few seconds delay for the data to coalesce. Lustre's really optimized around 1MB block writes so I can imagine RRDs on top it that being... interesting.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

jaegerx posted:

There a normal post. Rrd files are just terrible in nature due to the small size and constant writing nature. Running them on lustre was a challenge. We tried gluster first but it wasn't up to it. We eventually found the sweet spot with 6 management nodes. We could've used fiber but the expense was too high so instead we use the fiber to support our vms over clvm so we can pass them around instantly via kvm.

This was with zenoss commercial edition. We needed some of the commercial packages to support our larger network hardware.

Kind of tangential, but if you're using clvm-backed libvirt datastores and passing VMs around that way, you may want to take a serious look at management platform. Any management platform (Ganeti, oVirt, Xen Cloud Platform, maybe Archipel if it's still active)

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Looking at upgrading the ram in some of our hosts and trying to work out exactly what type of DIMMs we have installed without actually opening them first. In vSphere it reports "Memory Type:24". Anyone know what this corresponds to ?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Was anyone just in the fall Stanly VMware class?

I haven't heard a thing from the instructor regarding grades or how to get certified after the fact.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tab8715 posted:

Was anyone just in the fall Stanly VMware class?

I haven't heard a thing from the instructor regarding grades or how to get certified after the fact.

That course isn't graded. Once you have completed it, you'll be able to go the vmware education site (that you used the same email on!) and take the now unlocked certification test.

All the testing is done by vmware directly, the stanly course is just an approved course to cover the material and unlock the certification test.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

EoRaptor posted:

That course isn't graded. Once you have completed it, you'll be able to go the vmware education site (that you used the same email on!) and take the now unlocked certification test.

All the testing is done by vmware directly, the stanly course is just an approved course to cover the material and unlock the certification test.

It a pass or fail course and the grading section is still empty. I don't see any kind of VMware link on the class site.

EDIT I went ahead and called the professor. He told me VMware is changing their whole certification process and he'll know more later.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 1, 2014

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007
Maybe someone here can provide insight on a problem I'm having:

I have two ESXi 5.5 hosts that are not part of a vCenter or anything. I shut a VM down on one to move it, but now it can't be powered back up at all, it claims the vmdk file is missing. In the data store I have:

<vm>.vmx
<vm>-000001-sesparse.vmdk (about 5GB)
<vm>-sesparse.vmdk (about 1.5GB)

Have I seriously hosed something here? Is there some way to recover this?

I tried mounting both of those vmdk files in workstation 10 but it said they weren't vmdk files.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
We've had a similar issue with Commvault not removing the snapshot properly and leaving the VM unable to boot.

To fix our issue:

1) Remove the hard drive from the VM, but do NOT delete the vmdk.
2) Add a hard drive back to the vm, and make sure it is SCSI 0:0. Select the existing vmdk that is most recent, which sounds like <vm>-000001-sesparse.vmdk in your case.
3) Boot and hope for the best.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

jre posted:

Looking at upgrading the ram in some of our hosts and trying to work out exactly what type of DIMMs we have installed without actually opening them first. In vSphere it reports "Memory Type:24". Anyone know what this corresponds to ?

Doesn't the host have an iLO/DRAC/IMM web interface that you can login to? It should tell you exactly what DIMMs are installed there.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Tab8715 posted:

It a pass or fail course and the grading section is still empty. I don't see any kind of VMware link on the class site.

EDIT I went ahead and called the professor. He told me VMware is changing their whole certification process and he'll know more later.

Very interested to hear what happens with this (as you know, I'm starting my Stanly course in Jan.)

Do you know what time frame you have after you pass the class to take the exam?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Very interested to hear what happens with this (as you know, I'm starting my Stanly course in Jan.)

Do you know what time frame you have after you pass the class to take the exam?

He said he didn't know but he did say that despite being the on the 5.1 course that the class still qualified for the 5.5 exam.

The only major difference between 5.1 and 5.5 was the increase usage of the web client.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

cheese-cube posted:

Doesn't the host have an iLO/DRAC/IMM web interface that you can login to? It should tell you exactly what DIMMs are installed there.

:ughh:

Why yes it does.

Knighty21
Feb 10, 2004

i am not batman
I'm running virtualbox on an X99 host system (64 bit win7) with an 8-core 5960x and 64gb ram. Here are the full host specs: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LQZHrH

I've got 8 guests (32 bit winxp) that I run concurrently all day. Each is only used for browser work, connected to either openvpn or putty ssh. How many cores should I give each guest? They're each allocated 2gb ram.

Also, is there a more efficient setup I could be using for what I'm trying to do? Namely, having 8 different "walled garden" boxes (all initially cloned from a basic winxp install), each with their own IP, doing very basic browser work all day and nothing else.

I've noticed that even on my newly built top of the line host system, the guest boxes themselves are sometimes sluggish and unresponsive and I'm not sure why!

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Install Windows 8 and use HyperV? Do you have a SSD in it?

I think Hyper V performs much better than VB. An SSD is always a good choice.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Install Windows 8 and use HyperV? Do you have a SSD in it?

I think Hyper V performs much better than VB. An SSD is always a good choice.

This is good advice. Especially about the SSD. How many cores are you currently giving each VM? For what you're talking about 1 vCPU per would probably be best.

Knighty21
Feb 10, 2004

i am not batman

Internet Explorer posted:

This is good advice. Especially about the SSD. How many cores are you currently giving each VM? For what you're talking about 1 vCPU per would probably be best.

I'm currently assigning 4 cores to each box (I was giving two cores to each when my host had 4 cores + HT so figured doubling them on this host made sense). Could this actually be hurting performance?
Everything is running on an XP941 M.2 PCI-E SSD (about double the bandwidth of sata3 SSDs).

edit: I'm also wondering if winXP simply isn't optimized enough to take advantage of some of my current hardware (esp. given that the guests are 32bit each), so perhaps I'd actually see better performance upgrading them to Win7? I'm worried about it having a larger footprint/using more system resources, however. Even with 64gb ram, running all 8 guests keeps my host system at about 50% ram utilization at all times.

One last thing, these boxes were all created long ago on a different system and dropped into this one. Would there be any merit in re-creating each guest from scratch on my current host hardware?

Knighty21 fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 3, 2014

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Knighty21 posted:

I'm currently assigning 4 cores to each box (I was giving two cores to each when my host had 4 cores + HT so figured doubling them on this host made sense). Could this actually be hurting performance?

Yes.

http://www.gabesvirtualworld.com/how-too-many-vcpus-can-negatively-affect-your-performance/

Knighty21
Feb 10, 2004

i am not batman

Great read! Although it's a bit apples/oranges given that he didn't have hyperthreading and is running a different VM architecture, the logic makes sense and I'll go ahead and bump these boxes down to two one core each.

Knighty21 fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 4, 2014

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I would bump them down to one core unless the things you're running really absolutely need more.

Are you accessing them through the virtual box console, or through remote desktop?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Knighty21 posted:

Everything is running on an XP941 M.2 PCI-E SSD (about double the bandwidth of sata3 SSDs).

edit: I'm also wondering if winXP simply isn't optimized enough to take advantage of some of my current hardware (esp. given that the guests are 32bit each), so perhaps I'd actually see better performance upgrading them to Win7? I'm worried about it having a larger footprint/using more system resources, however. Even with 64gb ram, running all 8 guests keeps my host system at about 50% ram utilization at all times.

One last thing, these boxes were all created long ago on a different system and dropped into this one. Would there be any merit in re-creating each guest from scratch on my current host hardware?

Changing them to 1 vCPU per should make a world of difference. WinXP should do fine enough. Going to Win7 or even Win8 would help as they do a little better with slower IO. Sounds like you are fine on RAM. If they were created in VirtualBox it shouldn't matter where they originally came from.

Try the 1 vCPU bit first and go from there. Should be a pretty big improvement.

Knighty21
Feb 10, 2004

i am not batman

thebigcow posted:

I would bump them down to one core unless the things you're running really absolutely need more.

Are you accessing them through the virtual box console, or through remote desktop?

Accessing them through the virtualbox console.
I'll go ahead and bump them all down to 1 vCPU each and see how they perform.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
My experience with vmware workstation has been that remote desktop works a lot better than using the console, ymmv.

Knighty21
Feb 10, 2004

i am not batman

thebigcow posted:

My experience with vmware workstation has been that remote desktop works a lot better than using the console, ymmv.

Is the vmware box located on the same PC you're accessing it on?
Intuitively it seems like adding an RDP layer would just create more overhead.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Knighty21 posted:

Is the vmware box located on the same PC you're accessing it on?
Intuitively it seems like adding an RDP layer would just create more overhead.

RDP is very efficient. The console is like emulating the vid card.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Long shot, but does anyone know how co-stops/co-scheduling work on KVM in Google Compute Engine?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Is this the place to talk about VEEAM? Because I just got added to the backup team at work and I want to get good at this quickly.

Any advice on how to jumpstart myself as much as possible?

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Yeah, a few of us use Veeam. Do you already have Veeam and you're trying to learn it? If you can't consolidate a VM because of a file lock, it's because the vmdk is also attached to the Veeam proxy that last backed it up for some dumb reason. That's the main problem you'll run into, and otherwise it's gotten a lot better than it used to be.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Erwin posted:

Yeah, a few of us use Veeam. Do you already have Veeam and you're trying to learn it? If you can't consolidate a VM because of a file lock, it's because the vmdk is also attached to the Veeam proxy that last backed it up for some dumb reason. That's the main problem you'll run into, and otherwise it's gotten a lot better than it used to be.

Jumping into an already running setup that needs work. The other two guys on the team are pretty experienced but I'd like to get up to speed as soon as possible.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I am trying to teach myself more things about Linux and Microsoft AD at home.

What I want to accomplish is to setup a fictitious company Contoso. I'd to have a PDC, SDC a few desktops. Create the contoso.com domain, a few desktops, users, experiment with group policy, etc

I'm starting out with VMware Workstation 10 on my local PC but is this going to work? I'm noticing that things are slower than I expected despite my host just being a i5-2500, 8GB Ram and Samsung 830 SSD.

I know I will eventually need more RAM that's fine but how much more performance will I get if I have a dedicated physical host? I could get a i5-Haswell, 16/32GB RAM and bigger SSD. Hyper-v looks like the best choice as if I went with ESXi I'd need another physical (I guess now you can virtualize it?) host for V-Center but if I need a host for less than a dozen VMs would this setup be the best/easiest? I'd remote in from my main desktop for actual work.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Slow in what way? More RAM would probably help.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Tab8715 posted:

What I want to accomplish is to setup a fictitious company Contoso. I'd to have a PDC, SDC a few desktops. Create the contoso.com domain, a few desktops, users, experiment with group policy, etc

I'm starting out with VMware Workstation 10 on my local PC but is this going to work? I'm noticing that things are slower than I expected despite my host just being a i5-2500, 8GB Ram and Samsung 830 SSD.

I know I will eventually need more RAM that's fine but how much more performance will I get if I have a dedicated physical host? I could get a i5-Haswell, 16/32GB RAM and bigger SSD. Hyper-v looks like the best choice as if I went with ESXi I'd need another physical (I guess now you can virtualize it?) host for V-Center but if I need a host for less than a dozen VMs would this setup be the best/easiest? I'd remote in from my main desktop for actual work.

I use the virtual appliance for V-Center on my single host, but for the most part, I leave it turned off because it doesn't do much if you only have one host.
I think VMware is a really easy approach, but it's probably a great idea to learn how to do things with both VMware and Hyper-V.

Edit:

RAM is my biggest bottleneck. Going from 8 to 16 GB was a big boost, from 16 to 32 might be less noticeable.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Tab8715 posted:

I know I will eventually need more RAM that's fine but how much more performance will I get if I have a dedicated physical host? I could get a i5-Haswell, 16/32GB RAM and bigger SSD. Hyper-v looks like the best choice as if
I went with ESXi I'd need another physical (I guess now you can virtualize it?) host for V-Center but if I need a host for less than a dozen VMs would this setup be the best/easiest? I'd remote in from my main desktop for actual work.

Virtualize vcenter, but as noted, you don't need it for a single host.

PDC and SDC are dead paradigms, just FYI. Scrap whatever you're following which uses those.

Memory may be a bottleneck (KVM and VMware's products are much better than hyper-v with limited memory). It's also possible that you haven't enabled vt-x, but it's hard to say without perfmon and an actual description.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

evol262 posted:

PDC and SDC are dead paradigms, just FYI. Scrap whatever you're following which uses those.

What's the new recommended design?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Tab8715 posted:

AD. PDCs and BDCs were retired with nt-style domains. You can emulate them, but don't. AD is multi-master. Use read-only slaves if you need read-only branch offices (you probably don't)

likw1d
Aug 21, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

Someone correct me if i'm wrong. I believe it is the FSMO (Flexible Single Master Operation Roles) which consists: PDC Emulator, RID Master, Infrastructure Master, Schema Master, Domain Naming Master. If you are just looking at learning basic AD administration and group policies. You should be able to get away with one DC that would essentially hold all of these roles. If you wanted to look deeper into replication and transferring the FSMO roles go with a second DC.

As evol and others have said bump up the ram in your PC. You should see a noticeable performance boost. If you don't have one already throw in a SSD to run the VMs on. You could also take a look at Autolab, it's a nifty solution for running a lab on VMware Workstation. It might complicate things a bit (I don't mean complicated to set up, just more geared towards learning VMware) and it takes an hour+ to set up the first time. Once it's going and you are familiar, it makes tearing down and rebuilding a lab really convenient and you can get a couple hosts, vcenter, and shared storage running all on the same workstation with minimal resources required.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

likw1d posted:

Someone correct me if i'm wrong. I believe it is the FSMO (Flexible Single Master Operation Roles) which consists: PDC Emulator, RID Master, Infrastructure Master, Schema Master, Domain Naming Master. If you are just looking at learning basic AD administration and group policies. You should be able to get away with one DC that would essentially hold all of these roles. If you wanted to look deeper into replication and transferring the FSMO roles go with a second DC.

You know, when I was studying this stuff, in my mind I was thinking PDC and SDC, but I don't think that the book was teaching that structure at all, it was just various masters that you could put wherever.

likw1d
Aug 21, 2003

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

You know, when I was studying this stuff, in my mind I was thinking PDC and SDC, but I don't think that the book was teaching that structure at all, it was just various masters that you could put wherever.

Yeah I was over thinking it. The whole FSMO doesn't really apply to what he was asking. I have been under the impression that Microsoft moved from the PDC/SDC structure to the FSMO. I guess it says it in the name "Flexible", like you stated those roles can be put wherever. Sorry for getting off topic.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

likw1d posted:

Yeah I was over thinking it. The whole FSMO doesn't really apply to what he was asking. I have been under the impression that Microsoft moved from the PDC/SDC structure to the FSMO. I guess it says it in the name "Flexible", like you stated those roles can be put wherever. Sorry for getting off topic.

In the grand scheme of SH/SC derails, this is pretty minor.

Do you know what happens if you use the nltest command in an environment that doesn't have the PDC/SDC setup?

Edit:
Specifically:
nltest /dclist:contoso.com

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

likw1d
Aug 21, 2003

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

In the grand scheme of SH/SC derails, this is pretty minor.

Do you know what happens if you use the nltest command in an environment that doesn't have the PDC/SDC setup?

Edit:
Specifically:
nltest /dclist:contoso.com

I did not know this but you prompted me to quickly look it up and if I am understanding this right:

"nltest /dclist:contoso.com" would query active directory for a list of dc's (one of them will come back as [PDC]) and if unsuccessful, nltest uses the browser service. I think the DC that returns as [PDC] is the PDC Emulator (at least).. so basically the PDC in a older Windows NT/AD infrastructure?