Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Len posted:

Didn't the second Jurassic Park book have a chameleon dinosaur? It isn't like ridiculous hybrids are too far fetched.

Yes. That version of Carnotaurus is also a boss in the Lost World arcade game, which is the dopest arcade game of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yes. That version of Carnotaurus is also a boss in the Lost World arcade game, which is the dopest arcade game of all time.

I dunno. The Aliens game is pretty baller although it's hard as gently caress. Also there's a Rambo arcade game.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
I loved the Simpsons/Ninja Turtles 4 player Co-Op Beat-em-ups, personally :P

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Tenkaris posted:

I loved the Simpsons/Ninja Turtles 4 player Co-Op Beat-em-ups, personally :P

Yeah. And the Aliens vs. Predator 4 player preceded the movie by a decade or so.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

syscall girl posted:

Yeah. And the Aliens vs. Predator 4 player preceded the movie by a decade or so.

That and maybe some Metal Slug flavors are really all I would need cabinet wise if I did a home arcade thing. And Area 51. And Sunset Riders.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

DrBouvenstein posted:

Hell, for that matter, the sheer variety of dinosaurs they have is absurd. A mosquito has to suck the dinosaurs blood, then, before it digests the blood, it has to land on some sap, AND get stuck in the sap, AND that particular bit of sap has to get turned into amber, AND then some miners have to find that one particular piece of amber.

It's actually not that stupid. Biologists do environmental population sampling (or whatever it's actually called) by catching mosquitoes and sequencing the DNA found in their blood. This gives a good picture of which animals are in the area.

Yes, DNA has a half-life that makes it all impossible, but it's not a big deal to accept that the movies happen in a universe where that just isn't so.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Guy walks into a bar, the place is empty except for the bartender that's "cleaning" one small spot on the counter with a dry cloth. Bonus if he asks 'what can I getcha?'

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't get it.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

mng posted:

Guy walks into a bar, the place is empty except for the bartender that's "cleaning" one small spot on the counter with a dry cloth. Bonus if he asks 'what can I getcha?'

Or mindlessly "polishing" a clean, dry glass. "What can I getcha?" may be substituted with "What's your poison?"

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Aphrodite posted:

I don't get it.
I forget the rest, but your mother's a whore. :wotwot:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Pfft, I already heard that one.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

I don't get it.

This took me way too long to get even when I knew it looked like a joke setup at first :downs:

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
There was some discussion about The Walking Dead before, so let's bring that back.
In the mid season finale, Beth dies a completely pointless death. It honestly feels like they just had a cast that was too big and decided to kill SOMEONE. It was such a stupid thing to do, what did she think was going to happen if she stabbed the cop lady? Even in the best case scenario, shots would be fired and maybe some of her friends would be killed.
Also the fact that she got shot so perfectly is stupid.

Finally, the lesbian girl is a completely pointless character.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The midseason finale is entirely rationally irritating. It was stupid as hell. I like how Maggie is so devastated but a casual fan could have no idea they were even sisters if they started watching after season 2.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Non Serviam posted:

There was some discussion about The Walking Dead before, so let's bring that back.
In the mid season finale, Beth dies a completely pointless death. It honestly feels like they just had a cast that was too big and decided to kill SOMEONE. It was such a stupid thing to do, what did she think was going to happen if she stabbed the cop lady? Even in the best case scenario, shots would be fired and maybe some of her friends would be killed.
Also the fact that she got shot so perfectly is stupid.

Finally, the lesbian girl is a completely pointless character.
Yes but it was a shocking twist that's bound to get people talking, a real watercooler moment if you will. Honestly, I'd be more entertained if it was just an hour of someone literally painting by numbers every week. At least it's hosed off until february.

Edit: vvvv Aye, my girlfriend.

Pilchenstein has a new favorite as of 20:52 on Dec 2, 2014

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Pilchenstein posted:

Yes but it was a shocking twist that's bound to get people talking, a real watercooler moment if you will. Honestly, I'd be more entertained if it was just an hour of someone literally painting by numbers every week. At least it's hosed off until february.

Is somebody forcing you to watch it or something?

Bruce Snare
Feb 7, 2013
The Bourne Identity is a pretty good movie, but the fight scenes are goddamn stupid. They are laughably bad.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
Huh, I always liked the Bourne movie fights much more than the super theatrical fights of every other action movie. What's your critique of them?

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Henchman of Santa posted:

The midseason finale is entirely rationally irritating. It was stupid as hell. I like how Maggie is so devastated but a casual fan could have no idea they were even sisters if they started watching after season 2.

I honestly like the show, but this ending really bothered me. It made no sense that Beth acted that way.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Van Dis posted:

Huh, I always liked the Bourne movie fights much more than the super theatrical fights of every other action movie. What's your critique of them?

I love all three movies but I noticed the last time I watched the first film that the fight scenes didn't quite stand up as well as they used to. Seemed to be a little more obvious in terms of being sped-up, and the fight he has with Castel in his Paris apartment is lacking in comparison to the far superior fight with Desh in the third movie (which is built to incredibly with that tense pursuit of Nicky).

The big shootout at the end of the film is also kind of laughable, especially when he surfs that guy's plummeting body while shooting other guys on the stairwell.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I walked in on someone watching Bourne 1 or 2 idk, the bit where he used a magazine in a knife fight always kills me.

The dude's apartment looked pretty swank so it's understandable that he'd have an Architectural Digest lying around that you really could murder someone with.

Bruce Snare
Feb 7, 2013

Van Dis posted:

Well at first there's that guy coming through the window while firing his uzi or whatever, looking straight in front of him like some kind of idiot robot. Then Matt Damon starts to fight him and the choreography is so obvious that it looks like they are dancing. Besides, they are hitting each other as hard as they can and none of the full speed punches and kicks in the face seem to have any effect at all.

I mean, this is common to a lot of action movies, but I think the Bourne Identity is overall more sensible than most of those films, and it makes the dumb action scenes really look out of place compared to the rest of the storyline.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
It always bugs me in action movies when fight scenes just go on and on and on, with participants taking way more damage than should be possible to stand up from. We're talking about getting tossed across the room into a concrete wall and just getting up while shaking your head. Or fights where there are dozens of thrown attacks, but maybe one connects. I've always preferred the really quick fights that are over in moments.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Me too. Or when you can see people actually getting fatigued.

This gets dragged out a lot as a good example of fights being brutal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Blki-DISUis

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Speaking of fight scenes, this guy explains it quite well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1PCtIaM_GQ

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Morpheus posted:

It always bugs me in action movies when fight scenes just go on and on and on, with participants taking way more damage than should be possible to stand up from. We're talking about getting tossed across the room into a concrete wall and just getting up while shaking your head. Or fights where there are dozens of thrown attacks, but maybe one connects. I've always preferred the really quick fights that are over in moments.

Counterpoint:
The Raid 2. No person in the history of Earth could fight as long and suffer as many injuries but he just never stops. It's amazing and I don't think anyone would complain about how cartoonish it is.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

Taeke posted:

That was a really great watch, thanks for showing us.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

darkhand posted:

That was a really great watch, thanks for showing us.

Check out his other videos too if cinematography and stuff interests you.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
The Crimson Rivers has a really good fight scene. Brief, furious and pretty realistic. And it's clear that Vincent Cassel and the two dudes he's fighting can really throw down.

Irritating movie moment:

When Rutger Hauer pronounces Tannhäuser wrong in Blade Runner. He's Dutch. He should know that poo poo.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Inzombiac posted:

Counterpoint:
The Raid 2. No person in the history of Earth could fight as long and suffer as many injuries but he just never stops. It's amazing and I don't think anyone would complain about how cartoonish it is.

Haven't seen the Raid 2, but did see the first one: what I liked in that was how, for the most part, people died quickly. The main characters got by because every guy that approached them was down in like two hits. The long, protracted battles, especially against that fu manchu guy, were so goddamn long though. They just kept hitting each other again and again and again, and it became intolerable.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

mng posted:

Me too. Or when you can see people actually getting fatigued.

This gets dragged out a lot as a good example of fights being brutal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Blki-DISUis

HBO shows in general are really good with their fight scenes. Two shows that I can think of immediately are the Sopranos and Boardwalk Empire. The fights are short, brutal and usually end up with someone dead. And even the survivors usually have wounds that are apparent through the rest of the season, if not the series.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Gargamel Gibson posted:

The Crimson Rivers has a really good fight scene. Brief, furious and pretty realistic. And it's clear that Vincent Cassel and the two dudes he's fighting can really throw down.

Irritating movie moment:

When Rutger Hauer pronounces Tannhäuser wrong in Blade Runner. He's Dutch. He should know that poo poo.

Tannhauser is a German name, not Dutch. Pronunciation between Dutch and German is completely different, so I don't know why a Dutch person should know that poo poo any better than an American actor.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Actually I do think that a Dutch person would know German better than an American actor. Agree to disagree.

I've revised my statement:

When Roy Batty pronounces Tannhäuser wrong in Blade Runner. He's a robot. He should know that poo poo.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Taeke posted:

Great link. I absolutely love his style of acting and this video couldn't do a greater job of describing why.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
In super hero movies when you realize that things that would normally be more painful are actually less. Like superman in fighting some other super strong guy and hits him with a car, or a lamp post or something. The weapon always does less damage than if he just punched with his super hands. Or characters that can fly through a wall no problem will always throw each other through buildings even though it does nothing.

It's like watching 2 guys fighting with nerf bats.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Or an invincible super hero suddendly feeling pain.

How the gently caress did Krillin hurt Goku with a rock ffs

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I like seeing creative fight scenes.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Mans posted:

Or an invincible super hero suddendly feeling pain.

How the gently caress did Krillin hurt Goku with a rock ffs

Wasn't that literally the entire point of that scene? Krillin thought it was impossible to hurt goku, but because he was sleeping or whatever Goku wasn't powered up so it still hurt him.

:spergin:

As far as fight scenes go, I've never been impressed by most movie / tv fights. Off the top of my head Equilibrium is one of the few movies where I enjoyed the fight choreography.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Stottie Kyek posted:

In a lot of sci-fi that's done to make a point about real-life prisons or justice systems, like the Cardassian or Romulan prisons or the mind prison thing that made you feel like you'd done a 20-year stretch in Star Trek, or some of the worlds in Stargate. But yeah, there didn't seem to be any reason for it in Guardians, they weren't making any political points about it at all.

Speaking about that - I just saw that DS9 episode a few days ago. It irrationally irritates me that seemingly nothing is done about the fact that an innocent person was subjected to that. To summarize: A major character is punished for a crime he didn't do with 20 years of mind prison by some other race, which was carried out before Starfleet could know or intervene, and the effect can't be reversed.

They pretty much shrug their shoulders and go home and the episode is focused on the character coping and dealing with the experience. While I understand that's the focus subject of the episode, the fact that there was seemingly no repercussions to the people who did it kinda bugs me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
While we're on the fight derail, this is one of the best I've seen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr6VrmOQY1M

The fluid movement in armor, the weight of the weapons, how quickly the tire and resort to backup tactics, the fact that it looks like they're actually trying to hit each other instead of just clanging their swords, the utter desperation at the end

My favorite touch is the spot of blood left after about 1:35 - there's no lingering camera shot, it's not lit extra long, and it's gone in just a few seconds; it's not gaudy special effects, it's a minor touch that many might not even overtly see but brings you much deeper into the scene