Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

endolithic posted:

Sandmining stuff

As far as I know, It's going to stay the way it is at the moment, but there's some plans to look at it in more detail later.

quote:

so if nova kids are a post beta thing does that mean this upcoming release really is going to be ver 1.0? is 1.0 going to be released without a menu option to rebind keys?

With Novakids we thought it'd be worthwhile to have them in sooner rather than later. Lots of people wanted to see them, and I like them a lot personally. I just spent some time today giving them their own name generation, as they were borrowing the human names up till now (which I've also changed). The next release isn't 1.0, and I believe we'll have the rebindable keys in for release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Supernorn posted:

The next release isn't 1.0, and I believe we'll have the rebindable keys in for release.

Wow only one year to get something that has been a standard feature in computer games since I had my Amiga in the 1980s

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Wow only one year to get something that has been a standard feature in computer games since I had my Amiga in the 1980s

I am sorry that you can't rebind your keys yet. There is a way to do it manually, but having it on the GUI is where it counts.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

wildstarbound

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

it was supposed to be a gift

Punch your friend next time you see him/her.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

We fucjed up a lot of out previous estimate dates but the game will be out by 2013! :lol:

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Supernorn posted:

The next release isn't 1.0, and I believe we'll have the rebindable keys in for release.

can you bookmark planets and poo poo in the next release or is that going to be a bonus feature saved for v1.0 like rebindable keys?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Key rebinding and planet bookmarking will be in the new stable release micro transaction store. 99 cents for a single key and 1.99 for a planet bookmark.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

ColHannibal posted:

Key rebinding and planet bookmarking will be in the new stable release micro transaction store. 99 cents for a single key and 1.99 for a planet bookmark.

See, they won't do that!

You'll have to first spend $20 on 5000 mega-gold pixels, which then you can use to purchase Key Rebinds (only 250!) and Planet Bookmarks (500!). That way they can obscure the actual costs, make people buy currency in bulk that they might not ever spend, and entice more spending by offering "sales" on the currency that you spend to buy things that should have been included anyways.

On top of a monthly subscription.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Brainbread posted:

See, they won't do that!

You'll have to first spend $20 on 5000 mega-gold pixels, which then you can use to purchase Key Rebinds (only 250!) and Planet Bookmarks (500!). That way they can obscure the actual costs, make people buy currency in bulk that they might not ever spend, and entice more spending by offering "sales" on the currency that you spend to buy things that should have been included anyways.

On top of a monthly subscription.

Don't be ridiculous. Although you won't be able to open 70% of the chests you find, unless you're signed into our companion app..

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Hey starbound team, this is how you do a release schedule...

From the Prison Architect thread

The Deadly Hume posted:

I thought it'd be interesting to list and summarise each alpha so far.
code:
 1 - 25 Sep 2012 - First public release
 2 - 18 Oct 2012 - Deployment mode. Intake options.
 3 - 01 Nov 2012 - Fog of war. CCTV. 
 4 - 19 Nov 2012 - Fog of war overhaul.
 5 - 14 Dec 2012 - Staff only sectors. Firemen in emergencies. Foundation tool improvements
 6 - 30 Jan 2013 - Prisoner risk categories, traits, rap sheets and history. Security zoning. Intake control.
 7 - 21 Feb 2013 - Only guards can open doors. Lockdown and bangup modes. Mary Sue biographies from backers.
 8 - 20 Mar 2013 - Steam integration. Planning mode. More doors.
 9 - 24 Apr 2013 - Jobs for prisoners, including cleaning, laundry and proper workshops. Visitation.
10 - 30 May 2013 - Steam workshop for sharing prisons. Anger management including riots. Linux version. laundry refinements.
11 - 28 Jun 2013 - Performance optimisations. Land expansion. Prisoner releases. Dirty laundry riots no longer a thing.
12 - 31 Jul 2013 - Contraband. Search powers. Optimisation of the needs system.
13 - 29 Aug 2013 - Escape tunnels. Punishment policies. search refinements.
14 - 02 Oct 2013 - guard dogs and kennels. Sale of prisons.
15 - 29 Nov 2013 - Mod system improvements. Performance optimisations. staffrooms for exhaustion
16 - 27 Dec 2013 - Wood industry. Steam workshop for mods. Medium sec level segregation (before just Max, Min or general)
17 - 31 Jan 2014 - Armed guards. Forestry zones. Further mod system improvements.
18 - 28 Feb 2014 - Reform programs. Prisoner experience. Armoury upgrades.
19 - 27 Mar 2014 - Financial system improvements with more grant types. Game rebalancing. Exports zone.
20 - 29 Apr 2014 - Prisoner and prison grading. Failure conditions. Finance tweaks to curtail share tanking using riots etc.
21 - 30 May 2014 - Narcotics. Advanced regime control. Language selection. Prisoners surrender (sometimes).
22 - 27 Jun 2014 - Bug bash and general tweaking.
23 - 31 Jul 2014 - Remote access. CCTV overhaul. Advanced logic! Contraband smuggling refinements.
24 - 29 Aug 2014 - Mod system upgraded. Confidential informants. Remote access refinements. Canteen spoon nerf.
25 - 25 Sep 2014 - Reputations (i.e. Strong, Cop Killer, etc.). Protective custody and supermax categories. More CI refinements.
26 - 30 Oct 2014 - Bug bash II, focusing on kitchen annoyances.
27 - 28 Nov 2014 - Food supply/demand system. Reform program scheduler. Phone tap object. Reporting for awful contributed bios.
What really struck me was that, month after month, they've put an update out, usually with something new or improved that's worthwhile. The only time they took a longer break was between 14 & 15 when one of the devs' partners had a baby.

It's a pretty good game too, you all should go play it.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

AceClown posted:

Different teams vary wildly in size of number of developers, resources etc and have different methods of delivering updates. Right now we're updating every day. Prison Architect also been available in Early Access for a year longer than Starbound, and they might have been further along in development when they started taking pre-orders. There's a lot of factors to take in here, and I'm not going to say we didn't make mistakes along the way.

Kernel Monsoon fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Dec 4, 2014

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

I don't even know what the fuck I'm doing!!

Supernorn posted:

Don't be ridiculous. Although you won't be able to open 70% of the chests you find, unless you're signed into our companion app..

YYEESSSS! Let the in-game purchases rain down upon us!

Holepunchio
May 31, 2011
Anniversary Dev Post http://playstarbound.com/one-year-later/

mollygos posted:

Happy Anniversary!

A year ago today, we launched Starbound on Steam Early Access to more love and support than we could ever have anticipated.

Starbound’s development has had its ups and downs (as all game development cycles do!), but we’ve been able to work far more efficiently together since settling into our little office space. We’ve been super hard at work on a very large update that changes and expands upon the progression system and it’s nearly ready for unstable.

If you’ve been keeping track of our updates and the nightly build, you’ll have seen just how much has changed since the last stable update. If not, never fear! In lieu of 10+ pages of text outlining all the changes, we’ll be posting a trailer next week highlighting all the biggest features we’ve added to the game. In the meantime, Katzeus at Starbounder has neatly summarized most of the changes here.

We really can’t thank you enough for your continued patience, feedback, supportive messages and contributions to the community. :) I know a lot of you have been waiting aaaages for a stable update before diving back into the game, but I think you’ll find the wait worth it. :D
A new unstable build is nearly there! Ha...ha ha ha...:suicide:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Holepunchio posted:

This thread is the best RoI on any early access/kickstarter I've :homebrew:

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
The only times I actually remember Starbound exists is when I happen to look in games and see 50 new posts in this thread.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Chucklefish: putting the "dead" in "no deadlines."

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

whoever said it wouldve been less embarrassing if they HAD just taken the money and run was right.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
In other news, Stonehearth looks pretty good so far. One of the reasons they didn't do an early release on Steam is because of the reaction to Starbound.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Gollymos posted:

Starbound’s development has had its ups and downs, and downs, and downs, and downs, and

Cicadas! fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 4, 2014

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
We really can’t thank you enough for your continued patience, feedback, supportive messages and contributions to the community. :) I know a lot of you have been waiting aaaages for a stable update before diving back into the game, but I think you’ll find the wait worth it. :D

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Wtf is an unstable update and why would you want one when they already have nightlies

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
this thread has a lot of downs too

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Holepunchio posted:

This game is never going to be made.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

i like that the list of changes is basically a list of items that modders couldve added to the game in 3 or 4 months, if this game still had fans dedicated enough to mod it.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Afraid of Audio posted:

This game is never going to be made.

You don't understand, we're playing the game right now.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

AceClown posted:

Hey you can't compare PA to any other ea game except for kerbals, it just isn't fair.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Kly posted:

i like that the list of changes is basically a list of items that modders couldve added to the game in 3 or 4 months, if this game still had fans dedicated enough to mod it.

I think the modders figured that after Chuck changed the mod format, there'd be something to mod against sometime in the following eight months.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

victrix posted:

You don't understand, we're playing the game right now.

the shocking twist when the camera pulls back and reveals it was bob's game the whole time

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

http://starbounder.org/Zen_Mini_Biome

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Devour or Fire posted:

Chucklefish: putting the "dead" in "no deadlines."

Ew who bought you that new av?

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Blhue posted:

this thread has a lot of downs too

I know of a certain LPer in this thread who also has Downs. :thesperg:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Rrussom posted:

I know of a certain LPer in this thread who also has Downs. :thesperg:

Neat, do you work in screenshot or video format?

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Neat, do you work in screenshot or video format?

You know, I missed the thread, but what WAS your favorite Anthro?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Rrussom posted:

You know, I missed the thread, but what WAS your favorite Anthro?

Myself, you silly.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009

Lizard Wizard posted:

Myself, you silly.

So, i guess this implies that you are a Lizard otherkin.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
starbad

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Rrussom posted:

So, i guess this implies that you are a Lizard otherkin.

Nah. Despite my posting in the Starbound thread, I'm not delusional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rrussom
May 13, 2009

Lizard Wizard posted:

Nah. Despite my posting in the Starbound thread, I'm not delusional.

Thats what they all say.

• Locked thread