Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

jrodefeld posted:

It is absurd to think that Native American tribes had any reasonable standard of ownership over the entire continent. Settlers had every right to come over and homestead land. They had no just right to murder the natives or force them out of the land that they commonly used. Our ancestors should have negotiated in good faith and worked out their differences, respecting reasonable property boundaries for the natives and not using force against them.

Okay so maybe some of the original colonies might be fine. But surely nothing that was explicitly seized in conquest, right? The Northwest Territory, Georgia, Florida, and the entire Midwest and West except maybe New Orleans. Those areas demonstrably belonged to other people and were only opened to Anglo homesteading by military conquest. We know that poo poo was stolen.

Now I know you're going to say, "but it's too harrrrrrd, and people already live there, and that would displace people and be baaaaad" but get right the gently caress out with your amoral utilitarian bullshit. We're deontologists here, and a right is a right is a right. Conquest can never give title to property, and all homesteading, sales, and transactions on stolen land are null and void. And what do you care if the Native American 2% of the population suddenly becomes absurdly rich? As you've said, it doesn't matter where we start because the Free Market will ensure that the wealth will flow to those who work the hardest and are the most ingenious entrepreneurs anyway. That is your explicit reasoning given before for why we don't need to redistribute the land and wealth equally before we abolish the coercive State to give everyone an equal starting position. So apparently it literally isn't important how we distribute things on the eve of Libertarian Year Zero according to you, and nothing we do can have bad effects that the All-Wise Market won't fix lickety-split once all the laws are gone. There's not even a utilitarian reason for refusing to follow our principles here.

jrodefeld posted:

Neither I, nor you, nor anyone else can devise any sort of policy that can undo all historical injustices of the past. Given that you yourself don't have any more workable a solution than I to deal with the theft of Native American property, then you ought to shut up and stop criticizing me on this point.

Surely you would favor social welfare programs for Native Americans or some form of reparations, but how would that redress property theft in the past? If property theft was the original problem, more property theft is not the solution.

Reparations is my actual solution, because I am a utilitarian and I recognize that displacing millions of people would be a horrible idea, when we can instead tax those ill-gotten gains and spend it on those who had their land stolen from them. It's interesting though that now suddenly you're a deontologist again and welfare is wrong full stop even though we know these people were dispossessed and displaced and murdered, but can't fix that because taxes are theft, that's wrong wrong wrong wrong. But we also can't give back the land because while morally right, we've got to abandon our moral principles if something is too hard or too uncomfortable.

How convenient.

jrodefeld posted:

Moving forward, it is much more important to deal with currently ongoing property rights violations that the State perpetrates on the rest of us. If we can theorize about the potential of Native Americans proving property theft one hundred and fifty years ago, surely property theft through eminent domain or confiscation of income taxes that occurred last year can and should be redressed immediately by any society that values justice!

Once again, how convenient for you that we can be utilitarian today and only return stolen wealth when it's "practical". Why do you get land taken by eminent domain that was originally taken by war and conquest and broken treaties?

jrodefeld posted:

I take a backseat to no one in my condemnation of the historical treatment of Native Americans. It really was a genocide of unimaginable proportions.

I take a backseat to no one in my condemnation of the fact that I benefit from stealing things that are rightfully yours. Hey, what are you still doing here, I said I condemned my past theft! Now get the gently caress out and work hard to get ahead like I did, stop demanding a piece of my land! I earned this!

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

jrodefeld posted:

Murray Rothbard (apparently a huge racist according to some on this site) argued persuasively that every freed slave after the Civil War should have been given a portion of the plantation he was forced to work on. His labor was stolen from him, he homesteaded the land by mixing his labor from it and it should be his property. The slave masters who enslaved these poor Africans should immediately forfeit their property.

With this being said, if a current black person could prove that their ancestors were enslaved on a particular plantation or land that still exists, then libertarian justice would mean that they should immediately be granted a portion of that land since their ancestors homesteaded it and should have been given the land after emancipation.

Don't you find it interesting that Rothbard is only interested in acknowledging that we should right a wrong committed against a minority hundreds of years after it's practical to do so, but never one that exists presently? Surely when it comes to descendants of slaves, the records exist that we could still go back and do what you're suggesting, funny how I never see Libertarians push for that in policy though, but only as a rhetorical device followed immediately by "oh well, tooooooo hard!"

Hey, actually we didn't have to go back two hundred years! In Rothbard's lifetime there was homesteading going on by dispossessed blacks on unjustly acquired Apartheid-enforced white-owned farms and mines in South Africa! What was his opinion on the rights of those hard-working homesteaders again?

Oh.

Murray Rothbard posted:

A second, and more plausible, form of black nationalism is for a separate black nation in currently existing black areas: a New Africa comprised of Harlem, Bedford-Stuyvesant, Detroit, Watts, et al. with its capital the old Washington, D.C., and President Jesse Jackson sitting in the Black House(:wtc:). But then more problems arise. Apart from all the problems of enclaves and access, does anyone really believe that this New Africa would be content to strike out on its own, with no massive “foreign aid” from the U.S.A., and strictly limited migration between the two nations? In a pig’s eye.

Actually, since Malcolm’s preferred term was “African-American” and since this word has now become the PC moniker, it would make the most sense to adopt the solution of early twentieth-century black leader, Marcus Garvey: a mass exodus, a return to West Africa, there to carve out a new black nation, as a people’s exile from the Old Sod is at last redeemed. It is true that in contrast to voluntary immigration, black migration from Africa to America was coerced, and voluntary black “Zionism” or African repatriation was the preferred solution to the black problem for most groups, North and South, before the Civil War. Even now, I bet that many Americans would cheerfully chip in to support such a crusade. But why am I convinced that such a Back to Africa solution, even though it would offer a permanent escape from the alleged horrors of White Racism, is not going to fly, especially among those who aggressively like to refer to themselves as “African-American”?

In the last analysis, then, it is not Malcolm’s ideas, militant or not, nationalist or not, that continue to fascinate, and to attract followers. Not at all. On the contrary, it was Malcolm as a person who was the great attraction when alive and still is, thirty years after his death. For Malcolm was indeed unique among black leadership, past and present. He did no shuckin’ and jivin’, he was not a clown like “the Rev.” Al Sharpton, he was not moronic like Ben Hooks or Thurgood Marshall, he did not simply threaten Whitey in a loutish manner like the Black Panthers, he was not a fraudulent intellectual with a rococo Black Baptist minister style, like “Dr.” King. He stood out like a noble eagle among his confreres. He carried himself with great pride and dignity; his speaking style was incisive and sparkled with intelligence and sardonic wit. In short, his attraction for blacks was and is that he acted white. It is a ridiculous liberal cliche that blacks are just like whites but with a different skin color(:gop:); but in Malcolm’s case, regardless of his formal ideology, it really seemed to be true.
(Emphasis and emoticons mine)

Oh right, we should import the Afrikaner Nationalist methods and confine black people to their own homelands somewhere,preferably in Africa where they're not right next door expecting handouts.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 3, 2014

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Nolanar posted:

I would have gone with feudalism, since that's the name for a system where all land is privately owned and law and jurisdiction are just a series of personal contracts between individuals. And ultimately we saw where feudalism leads: a pile of bloody wars over the stupidest poo poo imaginable (generally property claims and succession, coincidentally!), and then right back into states.

That is also prety accurate. I was thinking of HHH's conceptions of segregated communities and persecution of democrats, Luftwaffle's discussion of benevolent dictatorship by the "good folks" being superior to democracy, and the obvious desire of both of them to use state power to expel racial or ethnic undesireables. Expansion of the "good folks" into new lands that are currently occupied by "bad folks" or non-Western peoples, who don't have correct conceptions of property rights anyway, or who deserve to be conquered because of their inferior culture, or whose societies would have collapsed anyway, just seems like a completely natural extension of their ideas. Jrod, in fact, advocated for this just a few posts ago when he said white homesteaders had every right to take land from Native Americans.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Figures Rothbard would think Thurgood Marshall was an obvious idiot for winning Brown v Board, but this dead guy whose words I can co-opt into supporting bantustans to imprison the former slaves, well my my what a clean well-spoken black man he was: I shall even give him the status of Honorary White!

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 3, 2014

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

WilliamAnderson posted:

Go back to Europe then. Seriously, get. The majority of land in North America was literally stolen from people who didn't have the concept of land ownership.

It's actually even worse than that: Many Native American peoples did have developed concepts of land ownership and property, they just usually wasn't similar to European concepts of private ownership (though some actually were). As such, and not inconveniently as it helped justify confiscation and Indian removal and played to racist conceptions of the native peoples as backward savages, whites colonizing North America more or less arbitrarily decided that they didn't have any concept of ownership, thus any old patch of dirt would work for them as well as their ancestral lands, so off to Oklahoma with the lot!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Captain_Maclaine posted:

so off to Oklahoma with the lot!

Oh hey, turns out Oklahoma doesn't suck as bad as we thought now that we have the technology to plow up the prairie. Get those Indian sympathizers out of the government, whose idea was it to give them the best land and close it off to whites forever!

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

VitalSigns posted:

Ann Romney has a paper from the US Government saying she owns the land. Where was the Lakota's US Government-issued ownership deed?

Oh don't have one do they. That's what I thought :smug:

It's really funny how libertarians say they despise the state, but the concept of property rights they worship is the state. One could almost say they worship the state

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

SedanChair posted:

It's really funny how libertarians say they despise the state, but the concept of property rights they worship is the state. One could almost say they worship the state

Its a lot like anarchists in general: They claim to despise the state, but literally suggest the creation of a state as a solution.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

paragon1 posted:

*A deep voice in '90s audio fidelity rings out*

"Pick up the phone, and call Valhalla DRO"

Valhalla DRO, enforcing any claim, for the right price.

Guess I'm going to be Jarl of New York, then. King Obama I has done gently caress all to enforce my rightful claim.

Anyway, jr, I'm arguing that in a world with no remaining legitimate titles, there's now no such thing as theft.

But beyond that argument, lets go with something a bit more optimistic :unsmith:
Is it possible for property to be non-rivalrous? That more than one person can own and enjoy the benefits of a given proprty? Or at least, for more than one person to own parts of a greater whole? Is it possible for property to be so large and so distant as to require hiring people, employees to administer and labor in it? Of course it is, even the simplest factory requires workers and supervisors.
So I say there's a reason public servants are called by that name. They're the laborers and supervisors of our property, carrying out our will. How can you argue against us exercising our legitimate property rights?

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Yes, they hate the modern state because it isn't run exclusively by white men, and the government took on activist roles in the economy, like outlawing child labor, forcing publicly traded companies to produce accurate financial data, and breaking up monopolies.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

SedanChair posted:

Presumably DROs would still enforce Ann Romney's claims though, both over her riding grounds, and over the sugar islands in the Caribbean that her husband at any time has a right to go homestead away from those squatting savages who can hardly be said to have a property right in rich lands that they don't even know what to do with. All that savage drumming and shucking and jiving and hippity-hopping do not property rights make, and they'd be clearly better off learning a good work ethic under the lash 20 hours a day for the fifteen short years of work that can be got out of their idle frames.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Slightly unrelated news from the Jesus thread:

BrandorKP posted:

So what the hell is point of telling you all that. Well what's the critique I keep making. Constructed models are constructed models. A system level model of the freshwater system on a ship, the underlying way of constructing that isn't any different from, how libertarians build their systems, isn't any different from how religious apology works, isn't any different from how any particular ideology is constructed.

This just in: Engineers are libertarians and all models are no different from libertarianism :psyduck:

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Slightly unrelated news from the Jesus thread:

This just in: Engineers are libertarians and all models are no different from libertarianism :psyduck:

I think I get a little what he's saying, but the difference is that one of these constructed systems provides functional predictions for reality. By this logic Christianity is equivalent to Libertarianism is equivalent to Engineering is equivalent to a Dungeons and Dragons magic system.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Political Whores posted:

I think I get a little what he's saying, but the difference is that one of these constructed systems provides functional predictions for reality.

Exactly my point.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 3, 2014

Caros
May 14, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

Presumably DROs would still enforce Ann Romney's claims though, both over her riding grounds, and over the sugar islands in the Caribbean that her husband at any time has a right to go homestead away from those squatting savages who can hardly be said to have a property right in rich lands that they don't even know what to do with. All that savage drumming and shucking and jiving and hippity-hopping do not property rights make, and they'd be clearly better off learning a good work ethic under the lash 20 hours a day for the fifteen short years of work that can be got out of their idle frames.

This post is much better when read in a Bill Cosby voice.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Yes, they hate the modern state because it isn't run exclusively by white men, and the government took on activist roles in the economy, like outlawing child labor, forcing publicly traded companies to produce accurate financial data, and breaking up monopolies.
Hey, they shouldn't blame the employees when the boss is a mumbling idiot. I mean, the boss is going to blame them anyway, but that just means the boss is wrong and an rear end in a top hat.
If the owner wanted something else, they should have been more clear. As it stands, the employees followed their instructions and obeyed their contracts, and this is what we have.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Political Whores posted:

I think I get a little what he's saying, but the difference is that one of these constructed systems provides functional predictions for reality. By this logic Christianity is equivalent to Libertarianism is equivalent to Engineering is equivalent to a Dungeons and Dragons magic system.

Ahem, the preferred nomenclature is Vancian magic after midcentury American fantasy writer Jack Vance.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Hey Jrode could you try, for a change, not writing a million words to say four things? All your flowery bullshit does is make you look like a deluded rear end in a top hat who's incapable of communicating a point in less than a day.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Literally The Worst posted:

Hey Jrode could you try, for a change, not writing a million words to say four things? All your flowery bullshit does is make you look like a deluded rear end in a top hat who's incapable of communicating a point in less than a day.

It's kinda his thing, because if you stripped it down and made his arguments more concise you'd end up with posts that boil down to "If we get rid of minimum wage/the civil rights act/UHC/etc, poor people would get paid more/racism would end/healthcare would be cheaper because it would be great if it worked out like that!"

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

DrProsek posted:

It's kinda his thing, because if you stripped it down and made his arguments more concise you'd end up with posts that boil down to "If we get rid of minimum wage/the civil rights act/UHC/etc, poor people would get paid more/racism would end/healthcare would be cheaper because it would be great if it worked out like that!"

He wouldn't be the first person to use verbosity as a substitute for truth.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Political Whores posted:

...you rang? :smug:

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Political Whores posted:

That's Ayn Rand to a T isn't it? Super passionate and wordy with no substance

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments
I am going to harp on this again because it has been bugging me, but JRod, you really need to loving stop with the weird coopting and misrepresentation of left libertarianism to try and score some brownie points by pretending that your idiocy is in any way "leftist." I will simply quote the summary from wikipedia:

quote:

Left-libertarianism (or left-wing libertarianism) names several related but distinct approaches to political and social theory, which stress both individual freedom and social justice. In its oldest usage, left-libertarianism is a synonym for anti-authoritarian varieties of left-wing politics, either anarchism in general or social anarchism in particular. It later became associated with free-market libertarians when Murray Rothbard and Karl Hess reached out to the New Left in the 1960s. This left-wing market anarchism, which includes mutualism and Samuel Konkin III's agorism, appeals to left-wing concerns such as feminism, gender and sexuality, class, immigration, and environmentalism. Most recently, left-libertarianism refers to mostly non-anarchist political positions associated with Hillel Steiner, Philippe Van Parijs, and Peter Vallentyne that combine self-ownership with an egalitarian approach to natural resources.

Unlike right-libertarianism, left-libertarianism posits that neither claiming nor mixing one's labor with natural resources is enough to generate full private property rights, and maintains that natural resources (land, oil, gold, trees) ought to be held in some egalitarian manner, either unowned or owned collectively. Those left-libertarians who support private property do so under the condition that recompense is offered to the local community.

Despite Rothbard's best efforts to conflate collectivist and egalitarian anarchist with right libertarianism, even those he rebranded (without consent or consensus) fail to come close to meeting any of the actual fundamental defining characteristics of Rothbard and Von Mises economic principles. The idea that individual liberty creates solidarity is absolutely insane given that left and right brands of libertarianism fundamentally disagree on the means through which you achieve individual liberty.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Literally The Worst posted:

His thesis is always buried in a few paragraphs of bullshit, and his points (often outright falsehoods) are buried in a few more. I even wrote a very helpful post trying to get jrode to use less fluffy bullshit language, but his next reply was as bad as any. Recently, he has taken to splitting his longer paragraphs into several 1-2 sentence paragraphs, like he's giving a speech or something.

If the Galt speech is any evidence, libertarians apparently like to place huge amounts of fluff inbetween nonsensical diatribes or outright falsehoods. They think that having a wordy speech is the same as having a convincing speech.

Let's look at an example:

jrodefeld posted:

Neither I, nor you, nor anyone else can devise any sort of policy that can undo all historical injustices of the past. Given that you yourself don't have any more workable a solution than I to deal with the theft of Native American property, then you ought to shut up and stop criticizing me on this point.

Surely you would favor social welfare programs for Native Americans or some form of reparations, but how would that redress property theft in the past? If property theft was the original problem, more property theft is not the solution. The only solution, if one exists at all, is to properly identify which property was stolen and whose ancestors had a legitimate claim to that property. Then the seizure of that property is not theft, but a form of compensation resulting in justice.

I concede that it will be unlikely that much property could be overturned because the theft of property happened so long ago and evidence to support overturning of current property claims would indeed be challenging. But we should never ignore the justice of redressing all property rights violations that can be proven, no matter how long ago they might have happened.

Moving forward, it is much more important to deal with currently ongoing property rights violations that the State perpetrates on the rest of us. If we can theorize about the potential of Native Americans proving property theft one hundred and fifty years ago, surely property theft through eminent domain or confiscation of income taxes that occurred last year can and should be redressed immediately by any society that values justice!

Here we see an example of jrodefeld discussing a single idea over the length of a very long paragraph that has been broken up into chunks with a length of about two sentences.

Simplified:

jrodefeld posted:

Yes, the Native Americans have a legitimate property rights grievance. We can't give them their land back, though, because they don't have any documentation. We also can't give them anything else, because that's not land. Also, taxes are theft, therefore you should seek to overthrow the government because you have a property rights grievance against them.

These ideas that jrodefeld holds are moronic, so they need to be wrapped in flowery, more reasonable sounding language. "I concede that it will be unlikely that much property could be overturned because the theft of property happened so long ago and evidence to support overturning of current property claims would indeed be challenging" boils down to "they have no documentation so forget about the problem". "Neither I, nor you, nor anyone else can devise any sort of policy that can undo all historical injustices of the past. Given that you yourself don't have any more workable a solution than I to deal with the theft of Native American property, then you ought to shut up and stop criticizing me on this point" boils down to "stop bothering me with questions to which I don't have real answers"

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

"As an engineer, I understood that the natural world operated according to fixed laws. Through my studies, I came to realize that there were, like wise, laws that govern human well being." - Charles Koch talking about why he came to believe in Praxeology.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BrandorKP posted:

"As an engineer, I understood that the natural world operated according to fixed laws. Through my studies, I came to realize that there were, like wise, laws that govern human well being." - Charles Koch talking about why he came to believe in Praxeology.

Charles Koch - Speaking for all engineers everywhere. Nice appeal to authority.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

BrandorKP posted:

As an application developer, Charles Koch is an idiot for thinking Praxeology is anything but a joke.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

CommieGIR posted:

Charles Koch - Speaking for all engineers everywhere. Nice appeal to authority.

If you don't think there's a real connection there I don't know what to tell ya. Libertarianism is a neat (as in clean, orderly) little model for how society and human relations ought to work, and this appeals to people with a certain mindset. The fact that it's a poo poo model is irrelevant.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Jack of Hearts posted:

If you don't think there's a real connection there I don't know what to tell ya. Libertarianism is a neat (as in clean, orderly) little model for how society and human relations ought to work, and this appeals to people with a certain mindset. The fact that it's a poo poo model is irrelevant.

The fact that its a poo poo and nonfunctional model is why comparing it to engineering models of an industrial process or scientific models of a water processor is wrong.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 3, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jack of Hearts posted:

Conflating this goofy mindset with what engineers do is a load of crap though, sorry. An engineering model is only useful to the extent that its assumptions reflect reality and what is neglected doesn't meaningfully affect the answer you get at whatever degree of precision you need. If your empirical results diverge from what the model predicts, you have to go back and revisit your assumptions and refine the model. In other words, the complete opposite from what praxeology claims to be able to do.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 3, 2014

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

The fact that its a poo poo and nonfunctional model is why comparing it to engineering models of an industrial process or scientific models of a water processor is wrong.

All models are functional within the confines of their assumptions, when those assumptions are valid. Engineering models are just as non-functional when applied outside the constraints of the assumptions used to derive them. Not understanding this occasionally kills people btw.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

BrandorKP posted:

All models are functional within the confines of their assumptions, when those assumptions are valid. Engineering models are just as non-functional when applied outside the constraints of the assumptions used to derive them. Not understanding this occasionally kills people btw.

And what are the confines of praxeology, within which it is functional? Sucking yourself off while thinking deep thoughts? Is this comparable to the functional confines of theology by any chance?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

BrandorKP posted:

And in the case of praxeology, the realm "outside the constraints of the assumptions used to derive them" is "the entire actual universe".

Which is why it's different from engineering, where models are developed to agree with the actual universe and are changed when they don't.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

CommieGIR posted:

Engineers who treat models as absolutes rather than best estimates (like all of science is), and who operate on wrote instruction over understanding of the nature of the situation or thing being modeled, are absolutely real and absolutely a problem. These are the people who don't understand our models and doctrines in engineering and design are all empirically derived from observation, instead seeing them as inviolate rules that never ever deviate.

They see society as a design problem, and assume the rules they think are true are the same kind of immutable principle; the idea that human interactions are so complex we have only barely begun to model them in any effective way does not occur to them, they know the rules for society so the reason things aren't perfect is because we aren't following the rules.

Ironically it's a very dogmatic type of thinking, despite the numerous times libertarians will attack religion for not being rational.

e: wait is BrandorKP trying to say Praexeology is as valid as engineering models or that it's not surprising that otherwise 'educated' people can be totally sucked into this bullshit

Ron Paul Atreides fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 3, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

e: wait is BrandorKP trying to say Praexeology is as valid as engineering models or that it's not surprising that otherwise 'educated' people can be totally sucked into this bullshit

Whichever ends up being more tenable

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Bandor believes that all science, engineering, philosophy, religion, folk tales, and D&D campaigns are equally valid (or invalid) and there's literally no way to know anything, so why not just agree that Jesus loves you and died for your sins of fornication?

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

Bandor believes that all science, engineering, philosophy, religion, folk tales, and D&D campaigns are equally valid (or invalid) and there's literally no way to know anything, so why not just agree that Jesus loves you and died for your sins of fornication?

oh well then he's exactly the kind of person I was talking about and is a moron

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Engineers who treat models as absolutes rather than best estimates (like all of science is), and who operate on wrote instruction over understanding of the nature of the situation or thing being modeled, are absolutely real and absolutely a problem. These are the people who don't understand our models and doctrines in engineering and design are all empirically derived from observation, instead seeing them as inviolate rules that never ever deviate.

No no no, I agree, you never treat the models as an absolute, but its a far better guess based on what evidence you have on hand than, say, praxeology which is making poo poo up and not even bothering to see if your models match what you know. Its part of why anything you can model you then run and compare the model to the results to fine tune your models.

And yes, Brandor is arguing its valid, and Religious Apologism, Libertarianism, and Engineering are the same things as far as modelling.

BrandorKP posted:

The difference being Engineers have to make assumptions within empirically definable values, and your model has to be fine tuned through testing to verify your assumptions.

And based on your comparing Libertarianism to Engineering, you'd be the one to kill someone.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 3, 2014

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

No no no, I agree, you never treat the models as an absolute, but its a far better guess based on what evidence you have on hand than, say, praxeology which is making poo poo up and not even bothering to see if your models match what you know. Its part of why anything you can model you then run and compare the model to the results to fine tune your models.

And yes, Brandor is arguing its valid, and Religious Apologism, Libertarianism, and Engineering are the same things as far as modelling.

The difference being Engineers have to make assumptions within empirically definable values, and your model has to be fine tuned through testing to verify your assumptions.

And based on your comparing Libertarianism to Engineering, you'd be the one to kill someone.

Yeah, sorry CommieGIR I totally misread the conversation, I thought Bandor was trying to point out how, if someone only ever thinks of things in terms of Models, you end up with praxeology (which is why you get a lot of hardcore religious or libertarian engineers despite the nominally empirical nature of their work).

But yeah, Praxeology is in no way the same thing as flow modelling or mechanical design doctrines or things like that. That's straight up one of the most irrational things I've ever heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

jrodefeld posted:

Yes because of course the State monopolized courts and criminal "justice" system have no problems at all, right?

Go ahead and apply this defense of monopoly argument to any other private enterprise and see how it would sound. "I much prefer having Comcast be the monopolist of cable and tv service in my area. It is so much better not having to deal with the hassle of choice and competition." No chance of abuse and worse service by a private monopolist right?

There is no chance in hell that any progressive would ever defend a private monopoly like this. Naturally, the cost would increase and the quality of service would decrease if you had no choice but to sign up with Comcast for your internet and/or TV.

This is a terrible analogy for many reasons. First off, Comcast is a service provider, and so the whole relationship is based upon the exchange of goods and services for money. However, the courts really aren't providing a service, they serve as an area where the law is executed. If I am a criminal, I may be paying the court for my trial, but I am certainly not entitled to the same things you might expect from Comcast. I can and should be able to end my association with Comcast. I can stop paying my cable bill at any time, and there goes my cable.

But if I'm in the middle of a trial, can I stop paying my "court" bill and end the trial right then and there? If I'm on trial for murder, can I say "Hey, I don't want to pay for this anymore." And I guess I go free because court cases cost money and the only way to force me to trial is to coerce me to go to court.

I truly marvel at the libertarian society. I can kill a man and not go to court because to force me to go to a trial would be coercion! You would have to use violence against me! It's amazing!

quote:

Why does this not equally apply to State monopolized courts?

One big problem with the State is that they have a monopoly on final decision making power and arbitration between conflicts including conflicts that involve themselves. Since the people have no choice, the State monopolized courts and criminal justice system can get away with enforcing clearly unjust laws and verdicts year after year with no repercussions.

There can be repercussions. People could vote out the various people in government that are abusing the law. They could run to change the system. They could protest. They could loving start a revolution!

But I don't understand the idea that the court has a monopoly on the final decision. By definition, somebody has to have a monopoly on the final decision, because the idea is that their word is final. If there's another step to go, you don't have the final decision.

You know, you constantly talk about how a libertarian society would be more just, but that's an idiotic declaration because you're the one who is turning justice into a business transaction. Under your vision, I would pay the courts I want for justice, and what makes you think that the system you proposed, where the courts are literally businesses trying to attract a clientele won't be corrupted, if our current system which does not operate as a business already has plenty of corruption.

quote:

If private arbitrators or private courts competed for public trust and patronage, they would be judged both for their cost and a history of just rulings and decisions. Unjust rulings and decisions would be punished in the marketplace just as poor service and high cost is punished for the provision of any other good or service on the market.

Why? Why would this work the way that you say it works. The courts that are going to make money are going to be the ones that are good to the people who give them money. Why do you suddenly think that the systems that create the power structure today would suddenly dissipate under your system?

Also, how would the court system work in your world. If I killed a man, why would I ever go to court. I could keep saying "I don't like this court, I'm not going to pay for them, and to force me to have your trial here is coercion!" For someone who talks so much, you never take things to the next step.

quote:

I don't blame you for not quite understanding how this could work in practice, but you can't forget the record of the State-monopolized court and justice system that you are defending. With a record that abysmal, I would hope you would be open to alternatives.

There's a reason why we don't understand how it could work in practice: because it's ridiculous, and when we see how binding third-party arbitration works in practice today, we get really scared when we see your proposal. It's like you don't know anything. http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2008/03/have-you-signed-away-your-right-sue

And many of us do criticize the current court and justice system. We're not defending how it's been implemented. We want to see a better justice system.

Finally, being open to alternatives doesn't mean we're open to any alternatives. Just the sensible ones, and the one you're proposing is total nonsense.

Can I give you a helpful hint, Jrodefeld? Stop being so intellectually lazy. A lot of your ideas are very primitive, and not really well-explored. Take your conclusions to the next level. Look for flaws in your arguments. Because honestly, most of the flaws I find are not these really clever flaws that demonstrate an intense understanding on the things you discuss. Rather, they're me spending five seconds trying to argue against your claims. You make a lot of paper thin arguments because you don't take the time to see where they might be structurally weak. And don't think using flowery language is making them stronger. A weak argument eloquently stated is just nice smelling poo poo.

I will say the biggest issue with your arguments are that they are lazy. They are just so incredibly lazy.