Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

flosofl posted:

The trial license mentions it will no longer be fully functional after 30 days. Not sure if that means it up and stops working or if you can only view password information on the PC Client.

I've used the windows app unpaid for a year now. All that's changed is having to wait 5 seconds for the shareware screen to go away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Not sure why it's never mentioned but Dashlane is pretty awesome and reasonably priced for a password manager.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Feenix posted:

Yea hoping they don't shittify the app.

Here's hoping it gets released as the Official Outlook Mobile client so I can actually use it. As it stands the Privacy Statement and their method of delivery of your mail makes corporate security twitch.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Anyone ever hear anything about Dashlane? Is it any good?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Last Chance posted:

Anyone ever hear anything about Dashlane? Is it any good?

Wish I read this half an hour ago, as I just got 1Password for Win/Mac after using a coupon(moving off of Keepass because the apps for it are just okay and the Mac port is terrible last I tried). Dashlane seems to be really good and only lacking a bit in a few areas maybe, and it uses subscriptions instead of a license, so if you want premium features, 1Password may be better for you.

Sweet Setup review notes posted:

DASHLANE: THE BEST FREE OPTION
Finally, the most fully-featured competitor to 1Password is DashLane, which is free for the basic version, and costs $29.99 a year for the Premium Version. Premium features include sync across all devices, secure backup, and web access to passwords.

DashLane

DashLane matches nearly all of the main features of 1Password, offering to store and organize the same kinds of information, and offering the same kind of browser extension, with slight stylistic tweaks. When you store a password, for instance, you’re offered the option to give it a category, which is nice.

And you have many of the same features inside the main app, including a kind of security audit called Security Dashboard. After I had saved one password, it proclaimed me a “champ!”

But little details like this started to rub me the wrong way. I sometimes felt the app was treating me like a child. When I picked my master password, the app forced me to use at least one capital letter and one number, and the hand-holding felt demeaning. Then, every time I clicked on the browser extension, I was encouraged to share the app with my friends.

“Sharing” is also featured prominently as a tab in the application preferences. Promoting the app on Twitter and Facebook wasn’t the kind of sharing I expected between “account” and “security”.

I know developers need to spread the word, but DashLane felt like it was going over the line a bit with self-promotion. More than once in the setup process, the app announced that it was “the world’s best password manager.” But it still lacks many of the deeper features of 1Password, especially in the area of storage and organization. You can’t create folders, for one thing. You also can’t add attachments to items in the vault. It has secure notes, but they are mere text fields to be typed into, so you couldn’t add a scan of a birth certificate if you wanted to. Most important for anyone who likes to keep their hands on the keyboard, DashLane lacks any keyboard shortcuts for filling in login fields.

So while DashLane may be the best app if you’re looking for a free option, you should consider whether you want to give up sync across devices, as well as many of the more sophisticated features of 1Password, just to save a buck.
http://thesweetsetup.com/apps/best-password-manager-and-why-you-need-one/

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah, 1Password is alright. I've also heard good things about a piece of software called Dashlane, though.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

duckfarts posted:

Wish I read this half an hour ago, as I just got 1Password for Win/Mac after using a coupon(moving off of Keepass because the apps for it are just okay and the Mac port is terrible last I tried). Dashlane seems to be really good and only lacking a bit in a few areas maybe, and it uses subscriptions instead of a license, so if you want premium features, 1Password may be better for you.

http://thesweetsetup.com/apps/best-password-manager-and-why-you-need-one/

Wonder why he mentions "Then, every time I clicked on the browser extension, I was encouraged to share the app with my friends." when that's not the whole truth. There's a little "Invite your friends" button on the bottom that I just now realized was even there. Dashlane is pretty alright and works for me, give it a shot.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
Just wanted to make sure, has anyone talked about Dashlane as far as a password manager? I'm a 1Password guy myself, but it never hurts to keep your options open.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I was looking for other alternatives and I found this one. Similar interface, way cheaper, and seemingly better.

http://notdashlane.com

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

noirstronaut posted:

I was looking for other alternatives and I found this one. Similar interface, way cheaper, and seemingly better.

http://notdashlane.com

:eyepop:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Finally I can plug HolePass again!

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

What's the best app for putting previously downloaded videos from your PC onto your iPad, without any loss of quality? I need to copy the files onto it -- not stream -- because it's for travel.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

These guys just got bought by Intel and looked decent, but I'm too lazy to switch off 1password at this point:

https://www.passwordbox.com/

Looks like it's $12/year?

Roobsa
May 1, 2011

I use Dashlane exclusively now. I think I just preferred the look of it over the other options.

I wish the integration with iOS8 was a bit smoother, sometimes it's a little clunky but overall I've found it to be pretty excellent. The Mac client is nice. I'm not sure I'd go so far as to trust it with payment details but as most websites I buy from has PayPal purchasing, that's never really been a concern.

The 6 months free for referring someone (they get 6 months premium too) is nice too so here's a shameless referral.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

smoobles posted:

What's the best app for putting previously downloaded videos from your PC onto your iPad, without any loss of quality? I need to copy the files onto it -- not stream -- because it's for travel.

Are you avoiding iTunes?

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

smoobles posted:

Plex Premium can send encodes of your media to your device. You might be able to do it without Premium, though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you don't want to use iTunes, there's an app called Air Sharing you can use to get movies onto your iOS device.. they still have to be in a video format that iOS supports, but you don't need any special software to get stuff on your device. It basically fires up a small web server on your phone and you use webdav to copy stuff to it.

Not sure if it's still on the app store, they stopped updating it sometime around iOS 7.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Anyway to get music onto my phone without using iTunes and into the music app?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Is there some kind of problem with or joke about Dashlane that I'm not getting?

I'm not shilling for it, I just use it and like it so I mentioned it. Use whatever you want. v:shobon:v

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Is there a good (read: functional and free/cheap) ap for streaming from an iPhone camera to a local pc?

I want to be able to set the phone up somewhere and record video or timelaps images for several hours at a time. I don't have anywhere near the needed free space on my phone's storage, so it'd be nice to have this stream straight to a pc on the same local network. Wireless would be preferable but if it has to be wired via lightning-usb that's manageable.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Does anybody know of a camera app that does the 'lens blur' feature of the latest Android camera? All the ones I can find simply add a focal point blur.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Pissflaps posted:

Does anybody know of a camera app that does the 'lens blur' feature of the latest Android camera? All the ones I can find simply add a focal point blur.

Facetune has a blur effect which gives the effect you're looking for I think.

If you're looking for full frame blurring, 645 Pro has the option to select how fine/crisp an image is. But I think you're looking for the facetune effect.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

smoobles posted:

There's a few apps out there that play whatever formats and store stuff locally. I use nPlayer...for streaming, but the description says it does wifi transfer as well as USB (presumably through iTunes' file storage interface). The file interface is fairly bare bones vs some others which have much fancier looking UIs, but it's simple and works. One caveat is that there's a bug right now with HD WTV files but I'm guessing you're not dealing with those.

Off the top of my head some others that might work are It's Playing, AV Player, and I guess Infuse? Might be "HD" tackled onto the names for some, and I've noticed poor looking same named apps so watch out for that too when searching.

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.

decypher posted:

If you're looking for full frame blurring, 645 Pro has the option to select how fine/crisp an image is. But I think you're looking for the facetune effect.

I don't have Facetune but I tried Big Lens for this effect, works great if you can draw the in-focus area well enough, which is kind of hard to do on an iphone. Would love to know how well Facetune works and if its as effortless as those Android commercials make their DoF effect work.

Bird Law fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Dec 3, 2014

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

smoobles posted:

VLC and nPlayer (I think it is) have wifi transfer. It's not as speedy as USB of course, but you don't have to use itunes and it works perfectly.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Xabi posted:

VLC and nPlayer (I think it is) have wifi transfer. It's not as speedy as USB of course, but you don't have to use itunes and it works perfectly.

Is there a sane way to get VLC onto an unjailbroken phone nowadays?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I was so excited to see all these posts because I KNEW they were going to be talking about that password management app.

What's it called again?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Mini Keepass.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
re: 1password chat, they've actually implemented an action that allows for other apps to pull 1password into their login flows. In case that makes a difference to anyone.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sounds great until the first exploit is found that dumps your entire keystore to some lovely f2p game and uploads it to a server in Russia.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

decypher posted:

I've got Big Lens which I think does the same thing: let's you selectively blur a part of a picture to give the illusion of increased depth of field. This seems different to what the android camera app does which requires you to tilt the camera up and down while focussing on an object - the result is just a bit more subtle and effective and I'm surprised it hasn't been copied by somebody for an iOS app.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Comic Book App Update: I tried out Chunky and while it was nice it couldn't do the organization stuff I like with subfolders and such, so I shelled out the $8 for Comic Rack. The way it scrapes Comic Vine is kind of clunky, but I've decided to just deal with it because the UI on the app is so good once it's all set up and working. Would highly recommend now since Comic Zeal poo poo the bed with the last update.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
With Facetune you are painting the blur with your finger like a derelict.

You can adjust the intensity with repeated swipes. So there is some control, but it takes patience.

decypher fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 3, 2014

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Anyone know any good password managers besides LastPass or 1Password?

I've heard Dashlane is alright, but I need a few more goon opinions before pulling the trigger.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

Sounds great until the first exploit is found that dumps your entire keystore to some lovely f2p game and uploads it to a server in Russia.

How would you do that? the 1password extension only copies two things and only the ones you specifically tell it to.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Devil Tesla posted:

How would you do that? the 1password extension only copies two things and only the ones you specifically tell it to.

I have no idea but that's the fun part about exploits, really smart nerds manage to break it anyways.

Password managers are probably going to become the next big hacking target, it's only a matter of time before there's an exploit found and a lot of people have every single one of their accounts hijacked. Obscurity is what's protected them so far, but now that they're mainstream it's going to draw a lot of attention.

Still an extremely important and valuable tool and I'm not suggesting anyone abandon the practice, just be super cautious about what you grant access to.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

TheJoker138 posted:

Comic Book App Update: I tried out Chunky and while it was nice it couldn't do the organization stuff I like with subfolders and such, so I shelled out the $8 for Comic Rack. The way it scrapes Comic Vine is kind of clunky, but I've decided to just deal with it because the UI on the app is so good once it's all set up and working. Would highly recommend now since Comic Zeal poo poo the bed with the last update.

Do you still need the PC version for everything to work properly? Mac user here.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

TheJoker138 posted:

Seconding this. I've been using ComicRack for years on PC and was enthused when they put out their iOS app. Works great when used in tandem and the wireless sync is a great feature.

petewhitley posted:

Do you still need the PC version for everything to work properly? Mac user here.

There are Mac alternatives for scraping from Comic Vine but to actually move comics from mac to your device is drag and drop through iTunes I believe.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 4, 2014

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Seconding this. I've been using ComicRack for years on PC and was enthused when they put out their iOS app. Works great when used in tandem and the wireless sync is a great feature.

Argh, I just switched all my comics from Zeal to Chunky and am seriously considering switching again. That UI is awesome. I couldn't really find out, but does Rack sync from cloud services, specifically OneDrive? I think that's the thing that impressed me about Chunky the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Dragonrah posted:

Argh, I just switched all my comics from Zeal to Chunky and am seriously considering switching again. That UI is awesome. I couldn't really find out, but does Rack sync from cloud services, specifically OneDrive? I think that's the thing that impressed me about Chunky the most.

None that I know of unfortunately.