Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

bhsman posted:

Pro-Tour Wannabes are fine as long as they can take a joke, though. I've been to places where the player-to-player interaction was less likely to occur than those MTGO championships with two guys playing laptops next to each other.
That's generally what I mean by "pro-tour wannabes". The guys who come in with whatever won the last SCG thing, refuse to talk outside of the bare minimum needed to convey what they're doing in game, get pissy when you don't immediately know every single rule/timing/card interaction, etc. They tend to be fairly uncommon in my experience, but where there's one there's usually five more.

The guys who want to be pro but understand that FNM is not an REL 5 event and that being friendly is a good thing are fine. I'd rather lose to someone who was fun to play against than win against someone who is actively lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Yawgmoth posted:

That's generally what I mean by "pro-tour wannabes". The guys who come in with whatever won the last SCG thing, refuse to talk outside of the bare minimum needed to convey what they're doing in game, get pissy when you don't immediately know every single rule/timing/card interaction, etc. They tend to be fairly uncommon in my experience, but where there's one there's usually five more.

The guys who want to be pro but understand that FNM is not an REL 5 event and that being friendly is a good thing are fine. I'd rather lose to someone who was fun to play against than win against someone who is actively lovely.

Eh, I adjust my play style and demeanor depending on who I'm playing. Against someone who is being hyper serious about it, and being dicks to people I do it back. I heavily favor using the encroachment style of play to get in their heads. So as the game goes on my cards and playmat are going to slide further and further up the table toward the opponent as I lean in put myself in a more and more dominant physical position, which is pretty easy to do as I'm slightly taller than average (6'1) and am pretty fat. Its a dirty trick that puts them on tilt, but if it is what needs to be done, I'll do it.

Now against people who understand its a loving FNM and just a dumb game of turning cardboard sideways I shoot the poo poo and have fun, and will occasionally allow some take-backs.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Turns out pros like guaranteed value, who knew?

I just feel like the cards you want to play in that deck for value (Courser, Caryatid, Queen) are better in other decks.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
How the hell is there no UB heroic deck tearing up that worlds list, it's favored against everything but Jeskai there and wrecks all the durdley green poo poo.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Madmarker posted:

I heavily favor using the encroachment style of play to get in their heads. So as the game goes on my cards and playmat are going to slide further and further up the table toward the opponent as I lean in put myself in a more and more dominant physical position, which is pretty easy to do as I'm slightly taller than average (6'1) and am pretty fat. Its a dirty trick that puts them on tilt, but if it is what needs to be done, I'll do it.

ahaha this is the dumbest loving thing dude

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

a dozen swans posted:

Agreed, it is dumb as poo poo.

It works against the rear end in a top hat players though.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
players being creeped out by your goon gut and getting the hell out of dodge is not genius-level Magic play, man

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Yawgmoth posted:

FNM is actually a pretty decent place to get some good deck/card advice and some varied play experience, assuming your LGS isn't filled with pro-tour wannabes.

I'd love to play some sealed booster games but my LFGS only does standard and modern and if they're the same decks I get wrecked by on a Saturday afternoon I'm well out my league.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Madmarker posted:

It doesn't work, because it makes you the rear end in a top hat.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Lancelot posted:

players been creeped out by your goon gut and getting the hell out of dodge is not genius-level Magic play, man

:shrug: it works against the hyper rear end in a top hat players, never called it genius or smart. But if someone comes in and is a snippy rear end in a top hat to newer/worse players, I want them to get creeped out and get the hell out of dodge. But I do realize how dumb what I typed came across, so, my bad for starting a retarded derail.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Madmarker posted:

But at that point you're not playing magic, you're playing "who can be the bigger oval office". I want to play FNM, not FNWCBtBC.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Madmarker posted:

I should get the hell out of dodge.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

AceClown posted:

I'd love to play some sealed booster games but my LFGS only does standard and modern and if they're the same decks I get wrecked by on a Saturday afternoon I'm well out my league.

Talk to the LGS owner/TO and see if they'll schedule a Sealed event for a future FNM. If they seriously won't that sucks and the only opportunity you'll get at that is at Prereleases (next one is Jan 17).

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

I Love You! posted:

How the hell is there no UB heroic deck tearing up that worlds list, it's favored against everything but Jeskai there and wrecks all the durdley green poo poo.

You mean UW? It's because Tom The Boss Ross isn't there to show'em how weenie beats is done.

Really, though. This player's championship is not a good place to see where the meta is going because it is obvious from the start (and the players, themselves, repeated it over and over), they meta'd against themselves. It is a known high-level 24 player field and almost every player had known deck construction tendancies. It makes for good games of Magic, but it makes for poor predictors of the field at large.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Cernunnos posted:

Talk to the LGS owner/TO and see if they'll schedule a Sealed event for a future FNM. If they seriously won't that sucks and the only opportunity you'll get at that is at Prereleases (next one is Jan 17).

Yeah, I've signed up for that one and I'm looking forward to it immensely.

I'm good friends with the manager of the FLGS and I've asked him before but he won't as no one signs up due to the fact they have dropped £300+ on decks and (understandably) want to play those.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Cernunnos posted:

I'd imagine most LGS would schedule one, especially if you have a few people willing to sign up with you when you approach them about it.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

a dozen swans posted:

Nope it's great. Any time the other player is being a huge dick it's time to bring out the big guns.

There was some huge piece of poo poo I used to run into at my LGS back in Austin who was a big grinder and was intimidating and obnoxious as gently caress. He once got hyper-pissed during a loving prerelease when I responded to him discarding 2 cards to my Soul's Ransom on his dude by saccing the dude. He insisted it wasn't possible, so I called a judge and he got belligerent which made him look super stupid. On top of that he nearly got us both kicked out because he was yelling and whining so loudly that the people playing around us kept complaining to judges.

So then later on I'm railroading him pretty bad, and I summon 2 1/1 tokens. Here's a sampling of our conversation that followed:

:argh: (points at face down cards) "You can't use those as tokens! I don't know what the gently caress those are!"

:cool: "OK." (puts dice set to 1 on top of face-down cards)

:argh: "NO. Those aren't tokens, those are cards. I'm not going to keep track of what your poo poo is."

:cool: "Oh, sorry man! Here, how about this?" (rips a junk common in half, puts 2 tokens into play) "Now you know they aren't just face down cards from my hand or deck. That should work, right?"

:argh: "No."

:cool: "Ok, no problem. I'll use this instead." (tears up a piece of scrap paper into tiny little uneven pieces, puts 2 in play)

:argh: "You've got to be loving kidding me, I'm not playing against that."

:cool: "Alright, all I've got left are these dice. You'll just have to remember when they are tapped and when they aren't since I don't have anything else to mark it with. Pass turn."

:argh: "gently caress it, I'm calling a judge."

:cool: "Sounds great, I'd love to tell him about how you've been stalling for time for the last 5 minutes and how the people next to us have asked you twice to stop screaming while reminding us that you can use anything you want for tokens as long as they are clear and distinct. Pass turn."

:argh: (doesn't say another word for the rest of the match outside of targetting/priority/combat decisions)

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

I Love You! posted:

lots of dumb words

lol you're a stupid shithead

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

born on a buy you posted:

lol you're a stupid shithead

yeah, you should be as obsequious as possible when you're matched up against the biggest rear end in a top hat in the universe, never call a judge on them and humor all of their insane requests without question

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

yeah, you should be as obsequious as possible when you're matched up against the biggest rear end in a top hat in the universe, never call a judge on them and humor all of their insane requests without question
Definitely. Isn't there a rule or guideline or somesuch that says you can request a judge to just stand by/near the table if you know you'll be needing their assistance a lot, like for example "my opponent has all the sense of a bag of burnt hair"?

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
At Journey Into Nyx prerelease I played against some guy who was trying to stonewall me, didn't offer a glhf game 1, was trying to mean-mug all game etc. He aggro'd out my admittedly bad bant-value deck game one, and I just sided in Pin to the Earth and between that and the Starfish was able to wall him out until I chained enchantments off of Eidolon of Blossoms and Market Festival. By the end of game 2 he stopped clicking his cards, stopped announcing phases and saying "pass priority" like a weird grinder. He ended up winning game 3 after a board lock ended with him top-decking Keranos, but I felt pretty good that such a strong pool almost got beat by one where my biggest pull was Arbor Colossus, and wearing down that guy enough to get him to stop trying to psyche me out :)

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

Or just call a judge immediately and don't be a stupid baby

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

We can't all name drop the best judge in Texas so I'm not sure that's an option available to everyone else. I don't have any judges on speed dial, for example.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

The rear end in a top hat was the one who had the problem and ended up calling a judge. It's not my responsibility to call a judge because you're (my opponent) having a conniption over something you can barely articulate.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Lol is this a serious troll attempt or do you actually take the side of manchildren throwing temper tantrums at casual events to the point of upsetting nearby tables

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Zoness posted:

We can't all name drop the best judge in Texas so I'm not sure that's an option available to everyone else. I don't have any judges on speed dial, for example.

bud if you don't know the best judge in texas you should consider suicide

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Magic: The Gathering: Megathread: I'm slightly taller than average (6'1) and am pretty fat

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Madmarker posted:

:shrug: it works against the hyper rear end in a top hat players, never called it genius or smart. But if someone comes in and is a snippy rear end in a top hat to newer/worse players, I want them to get creeped out and get the hell out of dodge. But I do realize how dumb what I typed came across, so, my bad for starting a retarded derail.

It's not a stupid derail because the environment of our LGSes is relevant to the game.

Also if someone is being an rear end in a top hat to new players, let your store know or be direct and just tell them picking on newer/more casual players is lame and they should cut it out. Don't be passive aggressive. Use your words.

Zoness posted:

If you're in a tournament, you have a judge. If you're not in a tournament, why are you playing with an rear end in a top hat? Just say "this isn't worth it" and walk away. Bad gaming is worse than no gaming.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Yawgmoth posted:

REL 5 event

Heh, Old Fogey trap sprung

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Boxman posted:

If you're in a tournament, you have a judge. If you're not in a tournament, why are you playing with an rear end in a top hat? Just say "this isn't worth it" and walk away. Bad gaming is worse than no gaming.

To be fair sometimes you are in a semi-casual tournament like a prerelease with only 1-2 judges for way too many entrants and multiple buildings/rooms making calling the judge every time a belligerent regular gets feisty a major disruption for other people who are trying to have a good time. In those cases I'm perfectly fine doing what it takes to get a dick to shut up or at least deal with their own bullshit if it doesn't make everyone else's games worse.

In my example above, the judge had already been called over twice, once for a rule and once for disruption, and at the time was in another building trying to corral in over a hundred players. It was way easier to shut my opponent up than it would have been to stop the game (again) in the hopes that the judge might do it for me, especially since I was the one who knew the rules and had no need of a judge clarification anyway. If my opponent didn't get the hint with my token stunt I would have been happy to let a judge resolve the issue, but as it was he was going to keep causing problems for me and the people around us as long as I let him get away with it.

Sometimes making a PROFESSIONAL INTIMIDATOR look stupid by intimidating them right back is a perfectly elegant solution.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 3, 2014

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I've yet to see a situation while playing Magic where being chill was a bad strategy. The only time I'd only get aggressive with anyone if they were bullying other people, especially a kid or anyone who's new or super casual.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
If my opponent tries to do that weird leaning in moving stuff close weirdo stuff I usually just lean in like we're about to kiss.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Mezzanon posted:

If my opponent tries to do that weird leaning in moving stuff close weirdo stuff I usually just lean in like we're about to kiss.

You gotta take it even further than this. Your opponent probably can't make good plays if you're smooching with them the entire game.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

This is some excellent MTGO downtime

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Snacksmaniac posted:

This is some excellent MTGO downtime

ahh so that's why I can't recover an old account, though it was just being shite as usual...

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

AceClown posted:

ahh so that's why I can't recover an old account, though it was just being shite as usual...

Well, it is being shite as usual. Even hugely complex MMOs don't require this much weekly downtime.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Hope my redemptions go through, need more trade fodder for Pucatrade. It's been better lately - when I first started there was barely anyone on and it didn't quite seem worth it. After setting up pagemonitor I've racked up enough outgoing trades for at least a playset of Force of Wills. It's been a fantastic replacement for going on sites to buy singles, especially since it's hard to find people willing to make equitable trades around here (at least with stuff that I want).

I've also bought a couple collections on eBay and holy poo poo do people not know what they've got. I paid ~$300 between 4 collections and I've pulled in at least $1200 in good rares, not even counting the commons and uncommons.

It's tempting to keep them for my collection but if I break even on them the goal is to make it a semi-regular source of income on the side. Between buying/flipping, any compensation from judging, and prize packs, it might actually be an attainable goal to break even or even make a slight profit.

Anyone have experience claiming Magic as a hobby on their tax forms? I've heard that it mostly causes issues if you're in the hole on the hobby for multiple years in a row, but if you're breaking even or making a profit I'm not sure how it would be any different than some of the examples the IRS page.

(Quick sidenote, I'm not interested in being a judge just for the packs/promos/whatever. I have a genuine interest in growing the community and keeping things fair and fun. It's nice that compensation is a thing that exists but I'd do it for free if it didn't, at least locally.)

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Mezzanon posted:

This but then I drop my deck on the floor and while they're distracted I suck their dick

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

AgentSythe posted:

This but then I drop my deck on the floor and while they're distracted I suck their dick
And they'll probably complain you're doing it wrong and so-and-so on the pro tour blah blah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

AgentSythe posted:

This technique is called "the MTGO"

• Locked thread