Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 214 days!)

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Having owned 2 DSM's, yeah, you're right. :v:

:keke:

Don't feel too bad. When I see a mid-90s Eclipse I still think "That is an awesome looking car", despite it being through its' 5th generation high school student by now. :sigh:

I just called my insurance agent to clarify my policies. They had the Convertible as >7500/yr. Uh.. Lets see.. it's done a 2,000 mile journey twice since 2009. I've put 6,000 miles on it. DO THE MATH. They also had my daily driver as the lowest mileage vehicle for premiums. Yeah, no. YOU DONE hosed UP.

Still pissed that the domestics are about 30% cheaper because they are pieces of poo poo cheaper MSRP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Had a mishap yesterday morning and a day on my feet. It was evening before I decided I should probably take my shoe off and look at my foot. One of my toes was an amazing dark purple. Guess I broke it when I tripped over a rock barefoot.

So, pretty much everything else is a good dose of gently caress 2014. Couldn't care less about my toe.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Horse Divorce posted:

My uncle wants to give me his Cherokee at the beginning of the year. This sources an engine, harness, computer, holy poo poo a ton of things I can use for my truck and my dd.

This frees up some cash to get my transmission taken care of, and I might pay for a hydroboost brake system as well if I'm clever parting things out.

Free car. Free car! HOLY CRAP FREE CAR!

What year XJ? All years work as donors, but some are better than others.

Also: you could pretty easily just swap the AW4 along with the 4.0 as long as your front diff is driver side. If it's passenger, it's probably still easy, but I can't guarantee it has the right spline count to go with the AW4.

Hydroboost is eminently junkyard sourceable, just need hoses and a reservoir at that point.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Viggen posted:

Still pissed that the domestics are about 30% cheaper because they are pieces of poo poo cheaper MSRP the parts to fix them can be found for $5 in any junkyard.

That's more like it.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
So are Jeeps or Land Rovers currently winning numerically in AI?

Speaking of which, my brother in law swapped our ex-Fairlane for a '98 Cherokee. Good riddance. Meanwhile he just keeps going around and around with cars. I think he went for another Jeep because he liked the one we got off him so much. The one he got yesterday has a few issues including a missing rear window but it's set up pretty well too. Speaking of that missing window, it absolutely pissed down rain last night. Sucks to be him. Sucks to be us too. The house leaked all over the place :(

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

It's a 93 2wd auto, and I believe the 2wd and 4wd transmissions were slightly different, so that probably won't help me any.

The transmission problem, I think, is my torque converter. Very little power gets delivered, I couldn't even drive out of the driveway. When I tried starting (which I couldn't do because my battery was weak, but that's another story) I heard a winding-down sound, like something was spinning down. I had just installed my exhaust system, including a cat, but I don't think this is the cause as I had the same problem a few weeks ago driving her into the back yard. I was flooring it and couldn't get up a little hill.

Now I think I can do a torque converter on my own. With the engine out, I should have all the access I need unless pulling the entire transmission is absolutely required. Listen for three thunks, they say. But I've got a lot of reading to do first, transmissions intimidate me.

About hydroboost, I've got an idea. People have been tapping into the power steering pump with T junctions to power their brakes and steering at the same time. The downside is that braking and turning at the same time can require some more muscle. I don't need air conditioning, so that frees up a spot to mount something. Know of any power steering pumps that would mount where the AC goes?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Horse Divorce posted:

About hydroboost, I've got an idea. People have been tapping into the power steering pump with T junctions to power their brakes and steering at the same time. The downside is that braking and turning at the same time can require some more muscle. I don't need air conditioning, so that frees up a spot to mount something. Know of any power steering pumps that would mount where the AC goes?

Orrr you could just grab the factory hoses from the Astro van you get the HB setup from, which runs from the PS pump to the HB, then from the HB to the PS box. Why make it more complicated? It's probably even got the right metric fittings on it and everything.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

General_Failure posted:

jeeps.

ID and I scrapped our pieces of poo poo long ago.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

General_Failure posted:

Speaking of which, my brother in law swapped our ex-Fairlane for a '98 Cherokee. Good riddance. Meanwhile he just keeps going around and around with cars. I think he went for another Jeep because he liked the one we got off him so much. The one he got yesterday has a few issues including a missing rear window but it's set up pretty well too. Speaking of that missing window, it absolutely pissed down rain last night. Sucks to be him. Sucks to be us too. The house leaked all over the place :(

Wait it's a 98? Throw out that part number I found for you, I thought it was like a 94 or a 95.

Horse Divorce posted:

It's a 93 2wd auto, and I believe the 2wd and 4wd transmissions were slightly different, so that probably won't help me any.

The transmission problem, I think, is my torque converter. Very little power gets delivered, I couldn't even drive out of the driveway. When I tried starting (which I couldn't do because my battery was weak, but that's another story) I heard a winding-down sound, like something was spinning down. I had just installed my exhaust system, including a cat, but I don't think this is the cause as I had the same problem a few weeks ago driving her into the back yard. I was flooring it and couldn't get up a little hill.

Now I think I can do a torque converter on my own. With the engine out, I should have all the access I need unless pulling the entire transmission is absolutely required. Listen for three thunks, they say. But I've got a lot of reading to do first, transmissions intimidate me.

That sucks about the transmission. Check the throttle valve cable, fluid level, and cooler line condition before you start blowing money, 727s are pretty tough to kill.
Seating the new converter is the hard part, you have to make sure it's all the way in (3 thunks, I guess, I just dick around with it while pushing it in and spinning until it fully seats, it should be entirely below the BH mounting face) or you ruin the trans fluid line pump on the input shaft the second you try to bolt the engine back on.

Hydroboost is really pretty easy - you rip out the vac booster and possibly master cylinder, swap in junkyard donor ones that have the same firewall bolt pattern and pushrod or similar, then have custom lines made. PS fluid goes from the pump to the hydroboost unit to the steering box, or vice versa, then back to the pump. Done.

Hydraulic lines don't particularly like being twisted (at all) or bent (without line bending tools) so typically unless you get very lucky and another vehicle make/model/year has lines that match up well, it will need custom lines. Fortunately there are a very small number of fittings used in hydro steering and braking systems, it's almost always M18/M16 O-ring sealed stuff or in some cases M18 or M16 flare, on really old stuff, SAE 45 degree flare.

And yeah, 4wd vs 2wd AW4s are very different - well, it really amounts to about two or three parts that are different, but it's like changing a Volvo heater core, the first step is to pull everything out of the transmission, next is to swap the output shaft, then you put everything back in. :v:

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

cursedshitbox posted:

jeeps.

ID and I scrapped our pieces of poo poo long ago.

Jeeps will always overpower the landrovers here because of the USA/UK&Aus member balance but there are still a few of us!

InitialDave still has his series. I have a series and a 101. Meltie has a lightweight. Brokenknuckles has a Rangie and a D3 and I think Motronic still has his...

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I opened up the door to sign for a package and one of my dogs ran out. Usually they run out, pee, and run right back in but this time he bolted. Nearly lost him and that was the worst feeling for about 10 minutes. Someone had let their dogs out so he ran towards them and I found him.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Hahahaha so here at work, one of out major chassis suppliers communicated a major change that they'd like to make. It'd require us to redesign some components, retest some items, etc...

Turns out it's something they're looking into doing 15-20 years in the future.

I think I'll schedule some meetings 14 years in the future to follow up on this. :v:

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

CornHolio posted:

I've done that several times. I think it happens to everybody.

I know when I'm having an episode, I try desperately to make it known that I'm in trouble. It feels very much like I'm having a heart attack - trouble breathing, constricted chest - and it's come out as whimpers, but by that point I'm coming out of it. There's no way to let anybody know you're having an episode while you're having an episode, without an EKG machine or something I think.

I've experienced that sensation a number of times in the last couple of years. I try to speak, but everything comes out as a mumbled whisper, I can't move except to roll onto my side. I feel terrified and completely helpless and vulnerable. I thought it was a (super hosed up) dream at first, but this discussion has made me pretty sure it was as real as could be.

God loving drat it, brain. Get your poo poo together.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

My company is holding a new hire training for a ton of new field sales reps this week and next. During my lunch hour I had the pleasure of getting jibberjabbered at the injustice of having to attend it by a woman who used to work in my department, then got promoted to another one, then went out to do field sales in the Atlanta territory. She's been with the company for 12 years and her having to attend new hire sales training is an absolute joke and fully ridiculous, but god drat it woman, put a sock in it...I'm trying to eat my lunch. Seriously, she bitched my ear off for like 45 minutes and now my neck is sore because I had to keep it turned to maintain eye contact.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Tomarse posted:

Jeeps will always overpower the landrovers here because of the USA/UK&Aus member balance but there are still a few of us!

InitialDave still has his series. I have a series and a 101. Meltie has a lightweight. Brokenknuckles has a Rangie and a D3 and I think Motronic still has his...

Not for long maybe. Turns out its worth a few bob in MOTable condition with a hilarious engine and an intercom somewhat "fitted". I'm still turning it over in my mind :(

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I just got a call from my mom. My grandma has gotten significantly worse and will probably pass away sometime during the night. They're with her right now, basically the only thing left they can do is tell her that it's OK to let go now.

She hasn't been well for years, bad circulation and failing heart valves and the last couple of months it's been pretty clear that she was simply worn out. A couple of weeks ago, she fell and hurt her shoulder so she couldn't use her walker anymore. I think that must have been the last straw.

She's my last surviving grandparent, there will be a huge gap left behind when she's gone.

gently caress 2014 :(

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

IOwnCalculus posted:

Viggen posted:

Still pissed that the domestics are about 30% cheaper because they are pieces of poo poo cheaper MSRP the parts to fix them can be found for $5 in any junkyard.

That's more like it.

Still pissed that the domestics are about 30% cheaper because they are pieces of poo poo cheaper MSRP the parts to fix them complete vehicles can be found for $5 in any junkyard.

:crossarms:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Tomarse posted:

The US never got the best 4WD ever made - the GQ Nissan Patrol

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Co-Worker: Yo check out this slam pig on Tinder.
Me: Oh yeah? Oh that's my neighbor.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

I just got a call from my mom. My grandma has gotten significantly worse and will probably pass away sometime during the night. They're with her right now, basically the only thing left they can do is tell her that it's OK to let go now.

She hasn't been well for years, bad circulation and failing heart valves and the last couple of months it's been pretty clear that she was simply worn out. A couple of weeks ago, she fell and hurt her shoulder so she couldn't use her walker anymore. I think that must have been the last straw.

She's my last surviving grandparent, there will be a huge gap left behind when she's gone.

I'm so sorry to hear that. :( gently caress 2014 indeed.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

You Am I posted:

The US never got the best 4WD ever made - the GQ Nissan Patrol

Dont think you have ever said a truer sentance.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

InitialDave still has his series.
Yeah, the series isn't going anywhere, either in the selling sense, or currently in the very literal sense. I haven't had time to put the work into it I want to (as with everything else I own), but I've spent the duration building up a large collection of bits for it. I swear I'm going to have enough parts to build two of the things by the time I'm done.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

KozmoNaut posted:

Aww man, sorry dude. The worst thing Ive done is not call my grandma when she was dying. I thought she had time but she died the next day after I blew it off and Im still living with that :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
God's will my pasty white rear end.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Another death? Dammit! So sorry :(

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Sorry to hear about your grandmother, Kozmonaut :(

Been a real lovely year for AI family members, drat.

So I know this is mostly my fault for going to a chain restaurant, but I just had the nastiest pasta in my life. I was trying to eat healthier so I ordered a chicken and broccoli pasta at Ruby Tuesday's. poo poo came out so loving greasy it was literally swimming, and I think one bite had 2 days worth of sodium content. How the gently caress do you make chicken, broccoli, and pasta with a light cheese sauce greasier than a pan full of bacon? Jesus. There was more goddamn grease than sauce!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Everyone's family is dying this year!

(I made it back alive from the 6-hour road trip. Got a job offer, but the job itself is low pay and lovely. Plus side, gas was only $40 for the entire trip).

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

cursedshitbox posted:

I didn't know the drunk was a hooker.

Actually, he must be a black-out drunk now since he seems to forget where he is spatially and with others. He just came over, loaded as gently caress, knocking on the door while trying to stand (with assistance from the wall). He also must forget who he picks fights with when loaded as hell.

Evidently he has a dwellmeter that he has no purpose for. Do I want it? Er, no. Even if I had a reason for one (discounting that I actually have one ). Appreciate it, though. Donate it to Goodwill or Salvation Army for a writeoff. Oh, right, you haven't worked more than two weeks in the half decade we've shared the cul-de-sac. Oh well. Go away now.

Rhyno posted:

God drat it you do not say "this is god's will" after the dude's mother talks about how she feels robbed of a future with her son.

No matter who says it, that is just a dick move.

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 4, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
God drat it you do not say "this is god's will" after the dude's mother talks about how she feels robbed of a future with her son.

Somebody should have stabbed that rear end in a top hat.

Drinking time.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

gently caress 1984. <:mad:>

E: Cleaned lint off a pickup roller and rewound tape with a pencil. We're good. :c00l:

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 4, 2014

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Viggen posted:

gently caress 1984. <:mad:>

E: Cleaned lint off a pickup roller and rewound tape with a pencil. We're good. :c00l:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I missed my mate's funeral because the family only told his closest of his friends when the funeral was, and I didn't have their number.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

..and here I thought I was a one hit wonder. Thanks, Gerkil. :glomp:

E: John Henry was actually a really good tape. :dealwithit:

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

I remember having a cheap not-a-walkman, but goddamn no reverse is annoying as hell.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Viggen posted:

I remember having a cheap not-a-walkman, but goddamn no reverse is annoying as hell.

Because you are supposed to be a good consumer, flip the tape, and enjoy the REST of the crap you paid for :colbert:

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

CommieGIR posted:

Because you are supposed to be a good consumer, flip the tape, and enjoy the REST of the crap you paid for :colbert:

..but, but.. I just want it to stop eating the tape 33% of the time. Jesus we kids of the early 90s had it rough. gently caress all y'all. Cold war, cassettes, and OBD-I.

E: Ok. The original Baker Street is worth it. :corsair:

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 4, 2014

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Tomarse posted:

There might be a 3rd to join the fray. Gf said she spotted the coolest disco 1 near her place of employment. I hope that turns into "we should get this so I can battle winter"

Fingers crossed.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I swear to loving god I would lose 30lbs if craft beer wasn't so goddamn good, and I didn't live in SoCal.

Also, my wife keeps making fun of me and/or being mad at me because the only Christmas spirit I have is watching Charlie Brown Christmas and putting up my Charlie Brown tree. I loving HATE this season. My dad died two days before Christmas when I was 11, and so goddamn what if it still bums me the gently caress out. I put up lights and do everything else I can but every year is still a loving fight about how I ruin the holiday because I'm not oh so loving chipper.

Oh well. Its my mom's birthday today and at least I called her.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

iwentdoodie posted:

I swear to loving god I would lose 30lbs if craft beer wasn't so goddamn good, and I didn't live in SoCal.

Also, my wife keeps making fun of me and/or being mad at me because the only Christmas spirit I have is watching Charlie Brown Christmas and putting up my Charlie Brown tree. I loving HATE this season. My dad died two days before Christmas when I was 11, and so goddamn what if it still bums me the gently caress out. I put up lights and do everything else I can but every year is still a loving fight about how I ruin the holiday because I'm not oh so loving chipper.

Oh well. Its my mom's birthday today and at least I called her.

Its okay, I'm not a fan of Christmas either. I can't fake being artificially joyous, and I really don't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

CommieGIR posted:

Its okay, I'm not a fan of Christmas either. I can't fake being artificially joyous, and I really don't care.

..and here you just bought TWO audis. Uhuh. Double standard much? :colbert:

• Locked thread